2011 Ford Edge miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Jul 212012

A message saying 'driver door ajar' appears on the console even when the door is tightly shut. If I try to lock the doors the car would just unlock all doors even while I'm driving. This is very dangerous especially for someone like me who drives my kids to the daycare and school everyday. At nighttime, the internal lights would also not turn off because the car thinks that one of the doors is open. Not only is it draining the battery, it is also basically broadcasting to everyone that the car is open. I have had this problem occur on the car in almost every year I owned it (4 years). It has been to the dealership a number of times. They fix it but it keeps coming back particularly in the summer time. I feel like it should be recalled and I have raised the issue with the dealership and all I hear is 'oh that is a very common problem' but it doesn't seem like they are working on providing a more permanent fix. They need to realize how unsafe driving with all doors unlocked is.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 052015

Door ajar and latch problem. * door ajar signal stays on when door is closed * interior light stays on when door is closed * door won't lock while vehicle is moving

- Stoneham, MA, USA

Jun 262015

This the fourth time door sensor (door not closed) appears and inside dome light is on while driving dash is lite up and worst of all the doors donot lock which concerns us due to having small grand kids in back seating area. If they open door and take their seat belt off we can not stop car fast enough.

- Blanchester, OH, USA

Jul 012015

The door ajar light stays on for both the driver side and passenger side doors. This is causing the interior lights to stay on and is draining my battery. It is also causing the interior light to stay on at night which is making it hard to see. The doors won't lock when in drive because of this problem too.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Sep 012015

I believe the electronic throttle body has failed as the Edge has similar malfunctions as other Ford affected by the defective throttle body. The Edge dies in the middle of driving and display a wrench on the sync system.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jul 132015

Rear door(s) show ajar even though the door(s) are closed. I open and close the door(s) and the computer reads them as being ajar and the interior lights stay on for awhile. I can't set my alarm because of the problem. In researching the problem on the web I found out that there are alot of people having the same problem on their Ford products.

- Tustin, CA, USA

Aug 262015

Driver door ajar warning popped up when I got into my car in the morning. Closed it multiple times but would not go away and interior lights remained on. Dealership stated there is a tsb for this issue and they will need to remove door panel, lubricate mechanism and reset mechanism. Car was fine. Next day, driver door ajar lit up while driving. Was unable to get warning to go away. Interior lights remain on. Mechanism is stiffer now and locked into place when I was trying to get the warning to go away and I was unable to close the door. After a unlocking/locking, opening door handle, finally was able to get mechanism to move so the door could be closed. Interior lights remained on because warning light remains. I paid $100 warranty deductible to get it fixed and now it is worse. Ford - report as recall and fix this!! what if it gets stuck again while I am in the car? I will not be able to get out by driver side door. I also don't want to be stuck with a dead battery. I am female!!

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Aug 262015

Vehicle lost power while driving on busy highway. I95 miami southbound express lanes. Wrench light came on, engine was shaking baldy. Limited soft shoulder. Wife was very scared

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Jul 012015

The driver door ajar sensor turns on when the door is shut. The door can be closed multiple times but the door ajar sensor still believes the door is not shut. This causes the battery to drain.

- Stanton, CA, USA

May 232015

The passenger door ajar sensor remains on even when the door is closed. This results in the interior lights remaining on and draining the battery.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

Aug 202015

The driver door sensor is not functioning properly. The door never registers as "closed" and as such it intermittently sets off the car alarm and drains the battery when the car is not in use.

- Chico, CA, USA

Mar 262015

The door ajar sensor continues to go off even when the door is clearly shut. The problem has gotten worse and now will come on when I am driving. Also, the silver coating on my driver door handle is peeling off which has resulting in me slicing my finger on two separate occasions.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Aug 032015

The driver's side door sensor is not working. Door shows open, and the interior lights won't turn off. Won't lock doors and several other problems. From all the feedback I've read, sure would like to see Ford do the right thing and issue a recall on this problem. Thanks!

- Clarkton, NC, USA

Jul 142015

Driver's door ajar warning, causing the automatic locks to malfunction. Also prevents dome and courtesy lights to remain on and overheat.

- Hartford City, IN, USA

Aug 012015

My 2011 Ford Edge inside interior light stays on for several minutes every time I get in the car, I guess its the sensor on my door but its happened on the back hatch door as well. On my dashboard it tell me that I have an open door which its completely closed but light stays on until I drive off. Or when I get out of the car and lock the doors the light stays on for several minutes, its draining my battery. When all of this happens I can not even lock my doors when I am driving the car, I need to lock my doors for safety purposes, my doors are always unlock because of this issue. Also, car alarm will engage when car is parked and locked.

- Interlaken, NJ, USA

Mar 032015

Driver door sensor not working and therefore all doors on car will not lock.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Jul 292015

My vehicle displayed the door ajar alarm after the door had been shut securely. This occurred intermittently for two days, and then began to occur every time I got in the vehicle. A couple days later it went back to being intermittent. I would not get the notification when I first got in the vehicle, but then the alarm would go off while I was driving.

- Batavia, NY, USA

Aug 042014

Faulty sensor in the door causes the car to think the driver door is open. Door ajar light stays on and vehicle will not lock when driving! lights eventually time out but when inside the car, the doors do not lock! I have had it fixed three times now and it always comes back.

- Grantsburg, WI, USA

Oct 232014

The drivers side door sensor is defective and shows that my door is not closed when in fact it is. I have cleaned the sensor, sprayed with can air to remove dust, also tried spraying with brake cleaner, with no success. My exit lights stay on due to this defect, as well as the fact that my door locks will not lock because my vehicle believes there is an open door. After reviewing online forums, this is a reoccurring issue and Ford is at fault.

- Centerville, OH, USA

May 162012

We purchased this vehicle used in wv in April 2012. By may, the door ajar light was coming on even when the door was forcibly closed. The sensor was replaced under warranty. Less than a year later, at around 50K miles, the sensor was bad again. Once again, the sensor was replaced under warranty. However, this time both the driver door and rear driver side door were affected. Now in 2015 at 104K miles the door sensor is bad again in both the front and rear door. Now, the lights won't even shut off after a while so the past two mornings in a row, the battery is dead. It's extremely irritating and dangerous. As others have stated, the doors will not auto lock while this issue is present. Also, the interior lights do not go off until you reach 20mph. This makes it very dangerous while driving at night. I have read through all the complaints listed for the Ford Edge and most of them are about this door sensor. Why is nothing being done about this??

- Huntington, WV, USA