3.3

2012 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

2012 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 9 of 18)

Oct 262015

Edge

Drivers door ajar repeatedly comes on, dome light illuminates, message to put in park shows. Called Ford Motor Co. Who reports no recall!! this is a safety issue as it prohibits door locking, turns on interior light during night driving. Ford advised that they didn't know if this would be covered by my extended warranty. How can that be? all they could do was give me a case number if it ever turns into a recall. Even if out of warranty, this should be considered a latent manufacture safety defect! leaves me wondering how many owners need to report much less be injured before Ford takes care of it. I would advise all who have experienced this to report to Ford customer service.

- Nanjemoy, MD, USA

Oct 022015

Edge

Bought a 2012 Ford Edge with 28,000 miles door ajar light stayed on even when door was shut. Ford dealer said the latch just needed cleaning. The work order states ( customer states, door ajar light stays on all the time advise on needed repair- just purchase vehicle from us. Checked with ids and drivers front door ajar switch staying on all the time, found tsb #15-0013 for cleaning electronics with special tool for repair, performed tsb#15-0013, repair verified)now 3 months later same problem. Door ajar light stays on bell sounds and interior lights come on. This is a certified Edge until March 2016. Glare from dome light distracting when driving at night. Ford needs to fix this problem now.

- Hudsonville, MI, USA

Dec 312014

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving at 5 mph, the air condition system failed to blow cool air. In addition, the interiors lights would remain illuminated and cause the battery to drain. The contact stated that all the electrical functions failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the door sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 51,600.

- Marina Del Rey, CA, USA

Oct 052015

Edge

Like the hundreds of other complaints, when door is properly closed, the "driver door ajar" alert comes on and beeps every time you accelerate from a stop, also causes interior light to stay on. I had not realized it was not allowing me to lock the door until I read all of the other complaints and tested it myself....sure enough, back door can be opened! I am now highly concerned about my 11 month old sitting in the back seat. Going to Ford tomorrow to figure this out!

- Centerville, OH, USA

Nov 012013

Edge

The panel shows driver door ajar all the time while driving the interior lights stay on after car has been locked for some time the lights go on even if the car has not been used for a while while the door ajar is on, the doors do not lock-safety issue, car in motion I tried getting the dealer I bought the car from to repair it, they stated that they could not because there was not recalls on my issues. But if I wanted it repaired it would cost me $350 to change the sensor that may be causing the problem. I believe the dealer sold me a lemon...the door ajar comes up as I close the left door as I put the car in motion;the doors do not lock while the car is in motion; interior lights is when the car is parked; the lights go on when the car is parked in the garage. The battery has died a couple of times as a result of this.

- Marysville, CA, USA

Sep 242015

Edge

While getting in my car I realized after I shut the door at still says door ajar on dash. And now its getting worse it wont go off constantly stays on and will not allow you to lock doors.

- Hayden, AL, USA

Jul 152015

Edge

Sometimes when I put the car into park, I get repeated warnings to "shift to park". if I don't jiggle the button on the shift knob, my seat and other electrical components will not respond. I have to start the truck a few times, put it through the gears (in drive and reverse), then I press the shift release button several times then the warning stops and my driver seat functions to allow me to get out of the car. This is a pain and the dealer said that if the problem couldn't be duplicated, then they cant do anything about it. I have had the truck in 2 times about this - the transmission shifts hard into gear after slowing or coasting and then accelerating. Almost feels like I have hit something when it happens. I'm very concerned, having two toddlers in the truck. I also took video of the parking, shifting into park issue. I just want it fixed....

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Aug 242015

Edge

Receiving "driver door ajar" warning while driving, even though the door is secure. At one point I would lock the doors and as I drove the warning would sound and the locks would pop open. The door latch was replaced once before in 2012 by the dealer while still under warranty. Now the dealer wants to charge me several hundred dollars to replace it again.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Sep 092015

Edge

The door ajar sensor is not responding: (just like the other Ford customers responding) this is a problem when you have small children. Safety issue that there door is unlocked as well. This keeps interior lights on, distracting at night, which could cause glare. I cant park my leave anything in my car when going anywhere because care is unable to lock. And the vehicle this car has 30000 miles on it. I live in areas where there is carjackings feeling very unsafe in my 2012 Ford Edge with 30000 miles on it. This is so rediculious that Ford & NHTSA is looking into this with all the Ford vehicles complaining about this. This is a safety issue in more ways than one> get stranded because door ajar causes battery to run down.

- Mount Morris, MI, USA

Sep 082015

Edge

This has been an ongoing issue it started out every now and then. Now its constant this morning ran my battery down causing crazy things to go on with electrical. The dome light stays on so at night driving is bothersome, and the door locks will not work.

- Mount Morris, MI, USA

Aug 012015

Edge

Driver door remains ajar no matter what we do. Interior lights stay on. Safety concern because one never knows if door is really closed properly or not! interior lights can drain battery. Dealer repaired about 15 months ago. Same problem returned. Very expensive.

- Wooster, OH, USA

Sep 012014

Edge

Unable to lock doors from within cabin due to door ajar sensor. Child easily opens door while driving. Had a stranger open my door and got in passenger seat thinking it was his mothers car, than goodness he did not have a gun. Lack of safety and security function.

- La Puente, CA, USA

Jul 282015

Edge

The is closed and the door ajar warning is coming up and not leaving. I have to close the door 10+ times sometime to get the warning to go away. It leaves the light on and runs the battery.

- Temple Hills , MD, USA

Aug 252015

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. After starting the vehicle, the front driver side door ajar sensor illuminated erroneously, indicating that the door was not closed. When the failure occurred, the interior dome light would remain illuminated for an extended period. While operating the vehicle, an audible alarm would activate and a warning message to park the vehicle would display. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 48,700.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 072015

Edge

The driver's side "door ajar" light stays on even after door has shut and been slammed. The interior light stays on while slowly moving, eventually the inside light turns off but when you stop, the car starts dinging and reads "put vehicle in park" I believe this is a safety issue because when leaving a driveway or parking lot at night, you cannot see anything around you outside because of the interior light remaining on until you reach a speed of around 10-15 mph. I'm worried that I may strike an object or person because of visibility issues.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Aug 012015

Edge

Drivers door ajar light wont go off no matter what I do to it. Causing the dome light to stay on while driving and not being able to lock the doors at all. I contacted my local Ford dealer and they told me to try cleaning it with some wd 40 and if that doesn't work to bring it in and they will run some tests on it which would cost me over 300 bucks and then they would go ahead and change the door latch which would cost me another 200 dollars or so and couldn't guarantee that the problem wouldn't come back. A lot of complaints about this same problem Ford needs to step up to the plate and fix the problem.

- Slatington, PA, USA

Nov 012014

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. While in park, the doors failed to lock electronically from inside the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- La Puent, CA, USA

Jul 242015

Edge

The door ajar warning stays on even when door is closed. At night, the interior lights stay on for 30 seconds- reducing visibility. When driving in slow traffic or after moving from a stop, vehicle beeps and says to shift into park, and then vanishes. Distracting and annoying! mileage at 66K.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Aug 112015

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the driver side door ajar warning light illuminated while the door was closed. The contact mentioned that the doors only locked manually. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 21,000.

- Sterling Heights , MI, USA

Sep 102014

Edge

Have had the same issues with both the driver door and rear passenger (drivers side) latch or sensor improperly working. Both door latches and or sensors malfunctions make the door ajar light in the instrument panel stay lit, and makes the overhead lights stay on. The interior light staying on makes it difficult to drive at night and also drains the battery.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA