2013 Ford Edge body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

2013 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Oct 012016

Edge

The door ajar light and warning dings when the door is definitely shut. If I open and close the door multiple times it will sometimes go off. The interior lights stay on and the door cannot be locked when this happens, creating a safety issue. Causes battery to drain because interior lights stay on and I have to drive with lights on which makes nighttime driving dangerous. This is a known issue for this vehicle and Ford needs to recall it.

- Lake City, FL, USA

Nov 182015

- Westboro, WI, USA

Oct 192016

Edge

My driver side door flew open while I was turning almost causing an accident. As mentioned in many other complaints, I too have the issue of the driver side light displaying "ajar". because of this almost accident, I now open and close the door as many times as it takes to make sure the latch is close and the light is off. My life matters.

- West Plm Beach, FL, USA

Oct 252016

Edge

The driver door ajar light comes on and stays on. This causes the interior lights to stay on and the battery to drain. Also the doors will not lock/stay locked. This happens when initially starting the vehicle and has happened while driving. I believe the cause of the problem to be either in the sensor or the door latch itself. At first it seemed to happen at random, but now seems to be occurring more often. This has been occurring for a few weeks. Will be taking it to be repaired in a few days.

- Johnstown, NY, USA

Nov 152015

Edge

When I close my drivers side door and start my 2013 Ford Edge, it thinks my door is ajar. This is a latch problem and the vehicle does not recognize that the door is closed. As a result, the doors will not lock. I have seen many complaints of this problem on the web. I am hoping that the NHTSA will force Ford to recall these vehicles and fix the problem

- Medford, WI, USA

Sep 012016

Edge

2013 Ford Edge sel with 33000 miles, driver door ajar warning light stays on even after closing the door several times. It keeps the interior lights on while driving, continously warns driver with door open messages on dashboard even when it's door is closed. I believe this issue also drained my car battery since I had to replace it back in Sept 2016. Ford please recall and fix this issue asap.

- Cerritos, CA, USA

Aug 222016

Edge

When closing the driver door the interior lights stay on with the "door ajar" warning light illuminated. It stays on while driving and parked and also a noise indicator every once in a while to put the car in park and close the door. Also when trying to use the keypad to lock the car from the outside sometimes it won't lock. The door ajar light is inconsistent, sometimes it will stay on, other times it will turn off. I took my car to the dealership to find out what was wrong. After a $200 fee to just look at the vehicle they said it is the door latch which is a common defect and will coast upward of $500 with labor and parts to fix. After doing research to try and see if I could repair it myself I found I was not alone in having this issue and was encouraged to file a complain on this site.

- Fort Pierce, FL, USA

Nov 012016

Edge

Door latch on driver side door broke

- West Springfield, MA, USA

Nov 082016

Edge

My door ajar light started coming last week and won't go off. I an positive the all doors are closed. It is very disruptive while driving, when the vehicle slows at signal lights, in intersections or in traffic the alarm comes on. Also, I was in a completely dark parking lot with people and cars moving around and the interior lights wouldn't go off. I could not see outside because of the interior lights. The door locks will not function in this state either. Someone could have easily gotten into the vehicle with me. Help!

- Pearland, TX, USA

Nov 042016

Edge

"takata recall" - door ajar light on dash. Front and rear drivers side

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Nov 022016

Edge

Driver door ajar alarm went off last week while I was driving and will not stop. This is causing me to get a constant warning while I'm driving that my driver door is ajar and to put my car in park. It also makes my interior lights stay on when my car is turned off (which is killing my new battery) and my doors will not lock while driving, causing a safety issue. No amount of slamming the door shut or cleaning of the door latch corrects the problem. I am having to disconnect my battery in order to not drain my new battery down from the interior lights staying on.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Oct 292016

Edge

Ford Edge 2013 problem with sensor or other causing driver door alarm to activate after door is shut. Dome lights stay on; door is completely shut but message states that "driver door is ajar". message and alarm sometimes comes on when driving. Sometimes takes several tries repeatedly shutting door to get alarm and lights to turn off. This should be a recall. Problem has occurred several times in the past week.

- Lake City, TN, USA

Jun 112016

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. The contact stated that when the front driver side door was closed, the door ajar warning light illuminated. As a result, the door failed to lock and cause the other doors to lock and unlock while the vehicle was being driven. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle chimed as if the door was open although it was latched. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the front side door latch and sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Kenmore, NY, USA

Mar 012016

Edge

The driver side door constantly displays the door ajar warning light. This prevents the doors from locking while driving and keeps the lights on within the vehicle when shut off. I was told by dealer it is a known problem with the Edge and is expensive fix.

- Woolwich, NJ, USA

Jun 202016

Edge

My car, Ford Edge 2013 has a problem with the driver door sensor which shows that the door is not closed causing the alarm bell to stay on, the interior lights won't turn off, had to have a jump start. Took to Ford dealer and was charged for repair. Quite expensive for me to pay for what Ford should be paying for. I understand that are quite a large number of owners with the same problem. Also smell exhaust fumes when shutting shutting off the engine as I get out of the car. Coming from engine compartment. Understand this is also a problem for other owners. These factors together should be reason for the NHTSA to get involved and force a recall to review our groups problems. I paid $229 to clean contacts. New parts much more expensive. Help us with this.

- Perry Hall, MD, USA

Aug 152016

Edge

The door ajar sensor stays on. The doors won"T lock and I don't know if the door is really closed. This happens when the vehicle is stationery or in motion.

- Cranberry, PA, USA

Apr 042016

Edge

Door latch did not properly signal whether or not the door was closed. Drove away on several occasions with a door that was not latched properly because the light was always giving a false signal that the door was open.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Oct 032016

Edge

I have been dealing with this door latch sensor issue for the duration of my ownership on my Ford Edge. I don't see how it is possible that our vehicles meet NHTSA standard Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) no. 206, door locks and door retention components. The testing for that standard would have been done in a laboratory, and it is apparent that contaminants out in the field are making their way into the door lock assembly and compromising the sensor - it is not a stretch to consider the latch itself may be deteriorating as well. There is no way to know if the door is fully shut. The interior lights coming on while driving at nighttime from the unpredictable sensor. I just replaced a battery 10/3/16, failed from the sensor draining it repeatedly, bought the largest capacity oem replacement I could get for it from from the dealer. While parked, even for hours and days on end untouched, the car will periodically sense the door is opened and closed (though it hasn't been), and the parking/convenience lighting will come on and go back off again.

- Redford, MI, USA

Jul 152016

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 50 mph, the rear driver's side door opened without being prompted as the door ajar warning indicator illuminated continuously. The contact stated that the 'shift to parkż warning message also displayed and the vehicle would not lock due to failure. The contact mentioned that the 'shift to parkż warning message illuminated while the vehicle was being operated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bonney Lake, WA, USA

Sep 302016

Edge

The driver side front door closes but the door ajar warning light stays on and is annoying. My wife took it in and they wanted $500 to fix it on a 3yr. Old car they can't make a latch to last longer than 3 yrs.?

- Tomball, TX, USA