2013 Ford Edge body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

2013 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Nov 022016

Edge

Driver door ajar alarm went off last week while I was driving and will not stop. This is causing me to get a constant warning while I'm driving that my driver door is ajar and to put my car in park. It also makes my interior lights stay on when my car is turned off (which is killing my new battery) and my doors will not lock while driving, causing a safety issue. No amount of slamming the door shut or cleaning of the door latch corrects the problem. I am having to disconnect my battery in order to not drain my new battery down from the interior lights staying on.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Oct 292016

Edge

Ford Edge 2013 problem with sensor or other causing driver door alarm to activate after door is shut. Dome lights stay on; door is completely shut but message states that "driver door is ajar". message and alarm sometimes comes on when driving. Sometimes takes several tries repeatedly shutting door to get alarm and lights to turn off. This should be a recall. Problem has occurred several times in the past week.

- Lake City, TN, USA

Jun 112016

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. The contact stated that when the front driver side door was closed, the door ajar warning light illuminated. As a result, the door failed to lock and cause the other doors to lock and unlock while the vehicle was being driven. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle chimed as if the door was open although it was latched. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the front side door latch and sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Kenmore, NY, USA

Mar 012016

Edge 6-cyl

The driver side door constantly displays the door ajar warning light. This prevents the doors from locking while driving and keeps the lights on within the vehicle when shut off. I was told by dealer it is a known problem with the Edge and is expensive fix.

- Woolwich, NJ, USA

Jun 202016

Edge

My car, Ford Edge 2013 has a problem with the driver door sensor which shows that the door is not closed causing the alarm bell to stay on, the interior lights won't turn off, had to have a jump start. Took to Ford dealer and was charged for repair. Quite expensive for me to pay for what Ford should be paying for. I understand that are quite a large number of owners with the same problem. Also smell exhaust fumes when shutting shutting off the engine as I get out of the car. Coming from engine compartment. Understand this is also a problem for other owners. These factors together should be reason for the NHTSA to get involved and force a recall to review our groups problems. I paid $229 to clean contacts. New parts much more expensive. Help us with this.

- Perry Hall, MD, USA

Aug 152016

Edge

The door ajar sensor stays on. The doors won"T lock and I don't know if the door is really closed. This happens when the vehicle is stationery or in motion.

- Cranberry, PA, USA

Apr 042016

Edge

Door latch did not properly signal whether or not the door was closed. Drove away on several occasions with a door that was not latched properly because the light was always giving a false signal that the door was open.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Oct 032016

Edge

I have been dealing with this door latch sensor issue for the duration of my ownership on my Ford Edge. I don't see how it is possible that our vehicles meet NHTSA standard Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) no. 206, door locks and door retention components. The testing for that standard would have been done in a laboratory, and it is apparent that contaminants out in the field are making their way into the door lock assembly and compromising the sensor - it is not a stretch to consider the latch itself may be deteriorating as well. There is no way to know if the door is fully shut. The interior lights coming on while driving at nighttime from the unpredictable sensor. I just replaced a battery 10/3/16, failed from the sensor draining it repeatedly, bought the largest capacity oem replacement I could get for it from from the dealer. While parked, even for hours and days on end untouched, the car will periodically sense the door is opened and closed (though it hasn't been), and the parking/convenience lighting will come on and go back off again.

- Redford, MI, USA

Jul 152016

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 50 mph, the rear driver's side door opened without being prompted as the door ajar warning indicator illuminated continuously. The contact stated that the 'shift to parkż warning message also displayed and the vehicle would not lock due to failure. The contact mentioned that the 'shift to parkż warning message illuminated while the vehicle was being operated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bonney Lake, WA, USA

Sep 302016

Edge

The driver side front door closes but the door ajar warning light stays on and is annoying. My wife took it in and they wanted $500 to fix it on a 3yr. Old car they can't make a latch to last longer than 3 yrs.?

- Tomball, TX, USA

Aug 262016

Edge

My drivers side door when I shut it, the door ajar light stays on along with the dome lights. It only took a few times re shutting the door to make this go away. However, just recently it has been staying on longer and harder to get to go off. It has also been coming on when driving and I have to pullover to try to get this to turn off. I cannot lock the doors when this happens causing a very unsafe travel along with the lights staying on. If I had kids in my vehicle I would feel they could open the doors due to this failure and fall out. When driving and this happens the light comes on and causes a glare and could cause an accident! even after Ford does their "cleaning" to the door it still happens after a couple months. The door latch and components have to be replaced completely to have this fixed.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Edge

Driver side door latch is faulty. Claims the door is open, even when it's not. Unable to lock doors, and now just got a dead battery because the interior lights stay on.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA

Edge

Left door sensor/latch is not working properly after 65,000 miles. Affects door locks while driving and parked. The door locks go up and down intermittently and unexpectantly. Affects overhead lighting and the remote start. Dangerous to have the doors not locked especially if young kids are in back seat.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Aug 012016

Edge

Door latch does not fully shut drivers side. Lights and door ajar remain on. Even if off during driving the door ajar light may come on suddenly after turning corners. Online comments suggest latch sensor arm continues to touch door latch when closed or door latch does not fully engage.

- Salem, MA, USA

Edge

Door locks do not work, can pop open when car is in motion.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Sep 062016

Edge

The car cannot recognize when the driver's door is closed. The light panel will show door open, a light will come on telling me the door is open, shift into park, and if I am driving, sounds will chime until I park. The door occasionally will be recognized as closed, but 80% of the time, it will not. I, was told at the dealer that the problem is common in Ford and they need to replace the latch mechanism in the door.

- Hillside, IL, USA

Aug 302016

Edge

The rear door is continually stating that it is ajar and all doors refuse to lock automatically when put in "drive".

- West Grove, PA, USA

Aug 222016

Edge

Front driver side door latch warning light and interior lights come on while driving, door needs to be slammed shut a couple of times for warning lights to turn off. Warning light appears more frequently and now appearing while driving vehicle on highway. Doors will not lock and interior lights are on, until door is slammed shut.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 052016

Edge

The door ajar sensing mechanism fails chronically, resulting in ongoing alarms, which is distracting the driver, and an a learned disregard to the door position.

- Hudsonville, MI, USA

Mar 152013

Edge

Driver's door ajar switch malfunctioned and the vehicle would indicate the door was open at various random times, even when it was closed. Took car to dealer 3/2013 where they serviced the latch and the issue resolved for about a year. Took car back to dealer and they wouldn't repair it unless I paid for a new latch. Cleaning and lubricating the latch sometimes helped for a few hours or days but the problem always returned. The problem occurred with the vehicle running or not, and both stationary and moving. Replaced the driver door latch assembly 8/2016 (which contains the door switch) and the problem was resolved. The replacement latch assembly part no. 8T4Z-7821813-B has been updated twice per Ford parts.

- Wyandotte, MI, USA