2013 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

2013 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 26)

Nov 232016

Edge

I have a 2013 Ford Edge sport edition that has had issues with the door sensors showing that the door is A-jar. This started to occur shortly after we purchased the car in September of 2013. It has progressively gotten worse to where the dash panel continuously shows that one of the doors is A-jar, even when open and closing the door continuously several times to try to clear the warning message. This is a safety issue because we cannot be certain that the doors are secured properly and safely during travel. Also, the doors will not lock while driving, or when the car is in park while idling. This is also a safety issue because the doors could be opened while driving, and the car cannot be secured while in park and idling. If a stranger attempted to enter the car while stopped at an intersection, or while driving very slowly, you cannot prevent the individual from entering the car because the door locks immediately unlock due to sensing that the door is A-jar. The picture I uploaded of the warning message clearly shows the driving speed while the door A-jar is illuminated. I wish I would have known this was a widespread issue with the 2013 Ford Edge, I would have filed a complaint sooner. I hope that Ford will take responsibility for this defect and fix this safety issue. Other than this defect I love my 2013 Ford Edge sport.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Sep 012016

Edge

The driver door ajar light comes on and stays on even though the door is completely shut and it makes no difference how many times you slam the door closed. The doors will not lock if the car does not believe the door is closed. The problem with that is, the door could potentially open during an accident or I could be carjacked or my family could be pulled out of the car while sitting at a stop light or intersection. I believe this is a serious safety issue to not be able to lock your auto while traveling. Also, since the door ajar light is unreliable the door may not be closed and could fly open while turning causing an accident. In addition it is very difficult to determine if the door ajar or reverse sensing is dinging, which defeats the purpose of the back up camera. I believe this is a safety issue since I depend a great deal on the back up camera to make sure I do not back into someone. At first the light would stay on only about 50% of the time, but now the light stays on about 99% if the time.

- Manchester, MO, USA

Nov 182015

Edge

The driver door ajar light comes on and stays on. This causes the interior lights to stay on and the battery to drain. Also the doors will not lock/stay locked. This happens when initially starting the vehicle and has happened while driving. I believe the cause of the problem to be either in the sensor or the door latch itself. At first it seemed to happen at random, but now seems to be occurring more often. This has been occurring for a few weeks. Will be taking it to be repaired in a few days

- Westboro, WI, USA

Nov 152015

Edge

When I close my drivers side door and start my 2013 Ford Edge, it thinks my door is ajar. This is a latch problem and the vehicle does not recognize that the door is closed. As a result, the doors will not lock. I have seen many complaints of this problem on the web. I am hoping that the NHTSA will force Ford to recall these vehicles and fix the problem

- Medford, WI, USA

Sep 042016

Edge

To whom it my concern we have a 2013 Ford Edge. We have had it to Ford to fix door ajar light on dash witch was saying driver door was the problem at about 34000 miles Ford fixed it by cleaning the sensor worked for awhile under warranty. About a month later same problem and was not covered under warranty cost about $380 to fix had to change sensor now at 42000 miles door ajar light is back on say passenger door. Dome light stays on witch at night is a safety hazard and now the doors will not stay locked how do I know if door is not going to come open. I feel Ford has a big problem with this issue and needs to own up to there responsibility and address the problem. This car was purchased new we are the original owners and don't feel we should be responsible to keep paying out of pocket for Ford problem this car is a 4 door we've already paid for one door and now have to fix another one. Thanks

- Ramona, CA, USA

Nov 082016

Edge

My door ajar light started coming last week and won't go off. I an positive the all doors are closed. It is very disruptive while driving, when the vehicle slows at signal lights, in intersections or in traffic the alarm comes on. Also, I was in a completely dark parking lot with people and cars moving around and the interior lights wouldn't go off. I could not see outside because of the interior lights. The door locks will not function in this state either. Someone could have easily gotten into the vehicle with me. Help!

- Pearland, TX, USA

Nov 042016

Edge

"takata recall" - door ajar light on dash. Front and rear drivers side

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Oct 292016

Edge

Ford Edge 2013 problem with sensor or other causing driver door alarm to activate after door is shut. Dome lights stay on; door is completely shut but message states that "driver door is ajar". message and alarm sometimes comes on when driving. Sometimes takes several tries repeatedly shutting door to get alarm and lights to turn off. This should be a recall. Problem has occurred several times in the past week.

- Lake City, TN, USA

May 162016

Edge

Driver door ajar switch alarms almost every time car is driven. Results in overhead lights staying on which causes visual impairment when backing up. Once going forward alarm and lights go off. Must visually check door to ensure door is closed and not ajar. I understand that this is currently being investigated for safety issues.

- Chocowinity, NC, USA

Jun 112016

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. The contact stated that when the front driver side door was closed, the door ajar warning light illuminated. As a result, the door failed to lock and cause the other doors to lock and unlock while the vehicle was being driven. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle chimed as if the door was open although it was latched. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the front side door latch and sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Kenmore, NY, USA

Sep 192014

Edge

Driver side front door ajar light remains on after door is closed

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Oct 012016

Edge

The drivers side door sensor will come on indicating that the drivers side door is open, when it is in fact closed tight. It will cause my lights to remain on awhile after driving, and anytime I stop then accelerate, it will ding to notify me that the door is still open. Which is extremely frustrating. Also, because it thinks the door is open, the dome lights stay on longer which has drained my battery, to the point that I've had to jump start my car. The sensor indicated the door is open despite being stationary or moving.

- Spanish Fork, UT, USA

Oct 312016

Edge

Door ajar warning comes on and will not go off. Interior lights remain on and none of the vehicle locks will latch because vehicle believes a door is ajar, when in fact it is not. The issue began about 2 weeks ago (October 10, 2016). I was able to open and shut door to turn the senor off the first few times the door ajar light came on and that solved the problem...temporarily. At this point the door ajar light remains on, interior lights remain on when vehicle is parked and turned off, battery is drained due to lights staying on unless I disconnect the battery and doors never lock - not when vehicle is in motion, not when it is parked.

- Thurmont, MD, USA

Oct 272016

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While stationary, the door ajar indicator remained illuminated while all of the doors were shut. In addition, the dome lights would not turn off in the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Jul 172015

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 40 mph, the door ajar warning indicator and interior lighting illuminated without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the door actuator needed to be cleaned. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Aug 102016

Edge

Driver door ajar warning comes on continually. It is not ajar. An irritating alarm is sounded repeatedly. Re-closing the door does not correct the problem. The alarm continues to sound whether in motion or stopped.

- Lakeport, CA, USA

Apr 012016

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the door ajar warning indicator illuminated. The doors were unable to be locked. The dealer diagnosed that the door locks and sensors failed. The door sensors and locks needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- Norton, MA, USA

Feb 052015

Edge

Bad function door sensor, dashboard shows open driver door, even when it is closed. It happens all time

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 022016

Edge

Door ajar sensor - leading you to believe the door is ajar. The door is closed but the interior lights remain on as though the door is ajar. The interior lights may or may not turn off while driving this is dangerous at night. Door lock button won't activate door locks sensing a door is ajar again very dangerous.this sensor comes on at will driving not driving no rhyme or reason. Prolonged lighting may shorten the life of my battery or leave us stranded. Ford refuses to acknowledge this design problem and the burden of repair on their customers a recall is in order.

- Winchester, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the door ajar warning indicator illuminated and the interior lighting remained illuminated. In addition, the electronic panel failed to function properly on the driver's side and the liftgate failed to remain closed. In addition, the front and rear passenger side doors randomly failed to remain closed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the sensors were cleaned. Two months later, the failures recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Burnet, TX, USA