2013 Ford Edge miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

2013 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Oct 142015

Edge

The driver side rear "door ajar" warning light goes on even though the door is closed and locked. It keeps the interior lights on even when I start driving, which is very distracting during evening hours. The lights stay on for more than 5 minutes after parking the car.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Sep 292015

Edge

Door ajar when door is closed causing dome light to stay on after exiting the vehicle also making in unable to lock doors which is a safety issue

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Sep 102015

Edge

My driver side door ajar error message stays on when the key is on and when driving. This is a safety issue as I cannot reset it and a warning beep continues as the error cannot be cleared. Started a month ago and would randomly appear now it stays on. Also when I lock my car now with the remote it beeps twice not once. I feel there could be an issue with security now too.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Oct 092015

Edge

Faulty switch causes driver's door ajar indicator to stay on even when door is closed. Dome lights stay on and can not lock doors when driving.

- Simsbury, CT, USA

Sep 072015

Edge

The door sensor on the driver's door is faulty and will report the door as ajar when it is positively not ajar. This prevents the car from being able to be locked and causes the interior lights to come on. This has been reported by numerous persons and Ford will not address it.

- Cookeville, TN, USA

Oct 072015

Edge

When doors are closed sensor is still showing open doors, doors will not lock and cabin lights remain on, making it impossible for driver to recognize an actual open door which then places passengers in danger when door does remain open. Sensor doesn't recognize doors to be closed so it prompts for car to be placed into park when in drive so door can be closed. Today while driving my daughter who was sitting in the back seat had the door fling open while the car was in motion. The door sensor has been showing that the door is open so when the door was actually open I was not able to tell and put her in danger.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jul 302014

Edge

Door ajar light is on and door is closed.also interior lights stay on and this is very dangerous driving at night.Ford will not fix it, no recalls.people had the sensor replaced on door and light came on again.wasted time and money.

- Manitou, OK, USA

Sep 232015

Edge

I am the owner of a 2013 Ford Edge limited and know numerous other Ford Edge owners with this same issue. The driver's door ajar sensor fails and shows the warning light that the door is ajar when shut. Now doors won't lock while driving, interior lights momentarily stay on and the alarm beeps ( warning that the door ajar is keeping it from setting properly. The interior dome light stays on and so does my rear cabin light. Both lights stay on as I'm driving. It is a safety issue! when I looked online, I found that it is a wide spread problem.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Aug 042015

Edge

I was driving the vehicle in a parking structure and lost all power. I tried to restart it, no luck. Vehicle turned back on after 2nd attempt to restart and seemed fine. I had the vehicle towed to downtown Ford in sacramento, ca who said the issue "might have been the wiring panel" and claimed to fix it. Second incident: August 2015 (mileage: 35,755) vehicle was again in a parking structure and lost all power. Vehicle was brought to folsom lake Ford in folsom, ca where they said they couldn't find anything wrong after they kept the vehicle for almost 2 weeks. I was told "maybe radio interference" caused the problem or maybe it was because I was in a cement parking structure. I park in this same parking structure Monday - Friday and this issue doesn't happen everyday so the location is not a factor. The vehicle looses all power randomly so I fear that when I am on a freeway or traveling on a curvy road and experience this catastrophic failure, it could cause a fatal crash. A case number cas7689216 was opened because we told Ford that I refuse to drive the vehicle. Ford's csm contacted both me and my husband and requested that we continue to drive the unsafe vehicle and have Ford install a monitoring device so that they can determine the cause the next time this happens. I expressed that this is not a risk I am willing to take because our lives matter. Second option is to turn over the vehicle to a Ford dealership and pay for their technicians to performed "a long test drive" which would incur possibly thousands of dollars in service hours and fuel. Not sure why the consumer would have to pay to fix a lemon vehicle. Third option given by the csm was to have BBB buy back the vehicle which doesn't appear to be an actual option available through BBB. Ford's csm told me "if we cannot recreate the problem, then there is no problem."

- Rancho Cordova, CA, USA

Sep 112015

Edge

Door ajar light keeps coming on even when door is shut. The lights stay on and doors will not lock.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Sep 012015

Edge

While driving, my car made an alert that the left front (driver's) door was ajar although it did not seem to be. I stopped at the next light and reclosed the door yet the alert did not go away until the door was closed aggressively a couple of times. Since that initial incident, this has occurred several times and has gotten to the point that the alert remains on at all times. After tracking down the problem myself I discovered that the problem is primarily due to a design flaw in the door ajar sensor. After consulting with a local Ford dealership and an internet search, it's been discovered this is a persistent problem with the Ford Edge and many other Ford model vehicles which use this same part and always the driver's door (potentially because it's the most used). This is a safety issue and a recall needs to be issued due to the following: 1) the dome light stays on and creates a night driving hazard; 2) the dome light stays on and creates a safety hazard when sitting in a public area at night; 3) the false door ajar signal prevents the driver from recognizing a true door ajar situation; 4) the doors will not lock either while driving or parked.

- Youngsville, LA, USA

Aug 242015

Edge

With all doors closed the drivers side locking mechanism failed causing the cabin lights to come on and and the system to start ringing. When the cabin lights came on they caused temp blindness and I swerved almost hitting pedestrians. This is a safety hazard also all doors unlocked when this happened I fear spmeone with children would find this alarming due to the fact that their children could easily open the door because of the doors being unlocked. After my incident I have to close the door multiable times for it to finally work sometimes slamming it which could cause my window to shatter but its the only way it works. I feel that Ford has put a sub par latch on these cars and have looked up online to see if I was the only one having this problem and found out that 1 out of five Edge owners have the same problem. I tried contacting Ford they just advise me to go to my local dealership which I did but I didnt have the $400 required to fix a problem that should have been fixed at the get go. I motion for a recall on this part.

- Lady Lake, FL, USA

Aug 152015

Edge

The driver door ajar sensor is malfunctioning causing multiple problems. Doors don't lock automatically when in motion. It causes cabin lights to remain on once driving lights are on creating visibility issues. This also causes some of the door locking options to malfunction. When driving or stopped it generates false alarms or warnings.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Aug 192015

Edge

I was driving on the highway and there was a slight jolt.the service engine soon light came on and I lost all acceleration. When I stepped on the gas nothing what happening. I was able to coast to the shoulder and put the vehicle in park. In park the vehicle idled very rough. I turned the vehicle off and moments I tried to turn the vehicle and it took about 5 seconds for the vehicle to turn over, but when it did turn on the warning light was gone and the gas pedal worked. When I stepped on the gas the RPM's went up. I put the car in drive and it worked normal. I've read a about 100 reviews from three different websites from people who this same thing has happened. This seems to be a inherit and common problem.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jan 052015

Edge

As with many other Edge owners, the door sensor continues to malfunction. Numerous incidents are reported and discussed online. The "door open" indicator lights up, interior lights remain on and the alarm cannot be activated. My dealer first wanted to charge me to repair; then, repaired it at no cost, after I wrote a letter to the senior vp and service manager. This was on 1/5/15; when the tech reportedly cleaned the sensor. Now, it's about seven months later and the problem has started again and like many others, I am extremely frustrated. A recall should be in order. Please help me and the many other unhappy and concerned owners.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Aug 052015

Edge

"door ajar" sign will not go off after several attempts to shut the door properly. The sign stays on during a drive with several alerts to stop the car, "shift to park" and shut the door. Also, when you try to lock the door manually, the system still thinks the door is open and will not lock. This is a issue of safety for the driver, and passengers (especially children) if their door cannot be properly locked. When this first started happening the sign would go off after 3-5 attempts. Now after 10 days of having this issue, this sign will not go off at all. As well as the cabin lights will not go off for an extended period of time, draining the battery (even if the car is not turned on). Finally, I took my vehicle to the local Ford dealership and the spring is broken inside the door, the same issue with other Ford brands they have already recalled. This is a major safety issue for transporting children due to the safety issue since the door will not lock. I hope this issue is taken under serious consideration since this is clearly a issue for the 2013 Ford Edge as many others have had this issue as well.

- Hoover , AL, USA

Jul 302015

Edge

Right before our 3 year warranty expired the "drivers door ajar" warning light came on. We checked it out and other items and all seemed to be ok. One or two days later it came on again and cleared when we shut the door several times. Now 8 days out of warranty it seems to come on almost all the time and won't clear. Also, the dome lights stay on too. I called the dealer and said it would cost me $125 bucks to diagnose plus repair. He said I could call Ford. I called Ford and spoke to kevin who created case # cas7689552, but got disconnected. His statement was to bring it in to a dealer and then they would decide what they would do for me after inspection. I really thought Ford would just fix this. I then called back and spoke to kendra who was nice but same thing. I asked her what she thought I could expect and she said in the best case I would be responsible for a portion of the bill. I looked online and saw one guy take the whole door off to fix and another who cleaned for a temp fix. There were a lot of other people reporting same problem. This has to be an engineering flaw and Ford knows this. It is also unsafe to drive after dark with your inside dome lights on and your door chiming. Please get a recall on this! I don't know what to do yet but I cannot afford a $500 repair bill on something so stupid as this. Shame on Ford.

- Wood Dale, IL, USA

May 012015

Edge

The door latch sensor is faulty resulting in the door ajar alert staying on constantly, even when all doors are closed properly. The vehicle is unable to be locked while driving and interior lights stay on for a long time after vehicle is turned off due to sensor issue, thus draining the battery.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Aug 022015

Edge

Door ajar and latch issue - the door ajar signal stays on when I close my door and then interior light stays on. I then am unable to lock the doors while being in the vehicle and I believe this has something to do with a faulty latch. When I move the latch with my fingers, the door ajar light will temporarily go off but sometimes will even come back on while my car is in motion. I bought the car in April and this is the first time this has occurred.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Jun 032014

Edge

Date above is first alert. Happens everyday now. Door latch mechanism will not engage when the door is closed, and the door ajar warning light will illuminate. Doors will not lock and lights stay on. It is dangerous especially at night when the interior lights are on and you are trying to drive. They only go out when car is going forward. Big safety hazard. I have told Ford about it and have met many others with same problem. They want me to pay for this safety feature $350. It should be recalled so all owners can feel safe with the doors closing, locking and interior lights not illuminating while trying to drive. And the most annoying beeping to alert you that the door is ajar. It has been going on for 1.5 years. I had them lube and clean it once and it just returned. I did pay for that service. Just look at the Ford Edge forums. It is happening to too many people.

- Wilton, CT, USA