2011 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 17)

May 102015

F-150

My ecoboost engine stalled during acceleration while attempting to pass on a 2 lane road. This put me and my family in a very dangerous situation where I was in the opposing lane with no power. I have attempted to have this fixed at the dealer more than 5 times. One dealer actually put in a new sensor about 6 months ago but this has failed to fix the issue. This is a well known problem with this engine yet Ford refuses to fix it.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Mar 292015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

My F150 ecoboost stalled twice in the rain while trying to pass another car. The truck lost all power while I was attempting to pass a vehicle in heavy traffic. This happened on I20. The engine failed a couple years back in rain and Ford installed a shroud over the intercooler. After reporting the second problem to the local dealer, Ford installed a modified "new" shroud on the intercooler. The govt prematurely closed the investigation of F150 ecoboost engines that have a major flaw that affect vehicle performance. Installing a modified shroud to fix a serious safety issue is not a solution. Please reopen the investigation for the Ford F150 owners that have the ecoboost engine.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Feb 032014

F-150

Vehicle lost acceleration when trying to pass. Engine light came on and engine started to shake. I had to turn vehicle off and restart. This now occurs anytime I attempt to accelerate...

- Ruston, LA, USA

Apr 192015

F-150 6-cyl

I had been driving in the rain for approximately 3 hours. Exited off the interstate and attempted to accelerate and the truck bogged down, misfiring and almost cutting off. This is a known problem by Ford and they have issued a technical service bulletin. I understand that there is an on-going investigation to determine if this is going to be a recall. This happened previously when I was attempting to pass someone and it almost caused an accident. I took it into the Ford dealer where I bought the vehicle last year and they applied the fix in accordance to the tech bulletin but obviously that has not corrected the issue.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Sep 052014

F-150

I was driving at highway speed and tried to accelerate quickly to pass someone and the truck had major hesitation and shuddering. Continues to do this anytime you try to rapidly accelerate.

- College Station, TX, USA

Apr 092015

F-150 6-cyl

I was traveling 45 mph on dry roads/good visibility/good weather in 6th gear when without warning the transmission shifted from 6th gear and finally ended in 1st gear - during this time the engine rpms exceeded 6000 rpms - I immediately shifted into neutral in order to reduce the engine RPM. Needless to say controlling the vehicle when this occurred was a major safety concern. I then shifted from neutral to drive and all was well. Last Sunday after church the transmission would at first not shift from 1st and then went to 5th gear and remained in 5th gear till I put the transmission in neutral and then back into drive. This event has occurred 4 times this far.always when the engine and transmission are cold!!!

- Athens, AL, USA

Mar 172015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Loss of power. Missfire. Engine light came on and would not go off. Ecoboost 3.5 V6. Moisture problem getting in to cause problems. Turbo cooler problem. Truck is in service now on date above.

- Interlochen , MI, USA

Feb 202015

F-150

Follow up to complaint listed below (beginning with summary): It should be noted that this incident did not occur in humid or rainy conditions. This incident did not occur while traveling at highway speed or wide open throttle. This incident occurred while starting from a complete stop under light acceleration turning left across traffic. Vehicle lost all power and would not move. Pushing the gas pedal did increase engine RPM but vehicle would not move. The behavior exhibited by the vehicle sounds very similar to the condensation problem I have been made aware of with the 3.5 V6 ecoboost. However none of the circumstances Ford claims causes the issue existed. This is an extremely dangerous condition. Weather was approximately 15 degrees and sunny. I have experienced the problem when the vehicle has been cold and after it has been running for a while. Summary: While attempting to cross oncoming traffic lanes to access interstate vehicle began to move then suddenly lost all power. RPM's went up to 4000 RPM but vehicle would not move. Vehicles were approaching in excess of 50mph. I managed to barely avoid being struck by oncoming traffic and pulled to side of ramp. Vehicle then began to move again. Took vehicle in for service. Dealership performed two fixes involving some form of air dam. On 02/24 vehicle did the same thing luckily in a parking lot this time. This is an extremely dangerous condition which leaves no error codes so far. I am seeing many similar complain ts online. Taking vehicle in for service again on 3/3/15 as the issue occurred again today 3/2/15.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Dec 042014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

I was accelerating to freeway speed when my truck began to shake and my engine was not allowing me to speed up. It felt like driving over a washboard. The engine light began to flash and continued to do so until I pulled over and stopped the vehicle. The engine light stopped and I was able to continue on home. I took it to the dealer the following morning and they replaced the faulty spark plugs. This same issue has now occurred 3 times in less than 3 months. The dealer has now replaced these spark plugs 3 times, twice of which the entire set of spark plugs were replaced. I am concerned over this safety issue since it always occurs as I am driving and speeding up to get on the freeway.

- Cave Creek, AZ, USA

Feb 232015

- Peoria, IL, USA

Jul 062014

F-150

Hello, we wish to file a complaint on the 3.5 L eco boost engine in our 2011 F150. We have had numerous issues of shuttering, lurching, "lag", loss of power/lack of response. We first had this issue passing a semi on a 2 lane highway July 2014, no there was no fog/rain. It immediately shuttered, shook, lurched (coughed/sputtered) loosing power as we were passing. We made maneuvers to get to the shoulder where it struggled to stay engaged. We could have been hit head on, rear ended, side-broaded by the semi or worse, a combination of all 3. not to mention stranded. We have read of other issues, lawsuits and complaints being filed. The "shield" did not work (we have it, installed 8/2014 & flashed comp) it happened again two days in a row last week. The truck had no load either time, what if we were/are pulling our trailer? (the reason we bought this 60K truck, Ford said it would) now they claim spark plugs are fowled, that is a new "fix". (not covered) however that is a separate "carbon tracking" plug issue, (the next "issue" could be the ignition plugs fowling due to carbon tracking from the moisture issue) the problem is not plugs, the major problem is moisture! Ford is not addressing the moisture problem causing the "failure". they are fixing symptoms of the issue. The problem-moisture in the pistons water & engines do not mix! they have not fixed the problem which should fall under lemon law. Next there will be a terrible accident (if not fatal) due to the loss of power/response, what then" "..it was operator error, they slowed/stopped in the middle of the lane in traffic"..tests are exactly what they are; tests. We are every day life; drive the truck for transportation, not petal-metal 24/7, "grocery getters", value our truck. Since when are our lives indispensable or not important? when is any one going to do something about this safety issue before someone dies"

- Athol, ID, USA

Feb 022015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

I lose power when trying to pass a vehicle and the motor seem to shutdown and shakes.

- Columbia City, IN, USA

Feb 092015

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the turbo boost needed to be replaced. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,626. Updated 4/6/15

- Ponce Delon, FL, USA

Sep 152014

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was operating as designed, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the spark plugs needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,500.

- Deerfield Beach, FL, USA

Mar 012012

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

My vehicle is equipped with the 3.5 liter ecoboost 6 cylinder engine. Upon attempting to pass a vehicle while traveling at freeway speeds, the vehicle began to hesitate and the engine felt rough. The vehicle refused to accelerate, causing me to swerve back into the right lane to avoid being rear-ended by a vehicle traveling in the left lane. After approximately 30 - 60 seconds, the vehicle would accept throttle and resume normal operation. This problem has repeated itself on multiple occasions and my vehicle is currently at the dealership for the 7th time to remedy this problem. In only one instance of the many that I've had, I did get a check engine light on. Fortunately, this was documented by the Ford dealership as one entire bank of cylinders misfiring. Additionally, I have been complaining of transmission shift issues, where at slow (less than 10 mph) speeds, the transmission often 'hunts' between two gears and once selected, a loud noise emanates from under the vehicle and causes the vehicle to noticeably jerk I only learned of NHTSA PE13018 on 1/28/15. The first incident yielded installation of the deflector in the vicinity of the charge air cooler. Another incident yielded a tsb to remove the deflector, and most recently another tsb to re-install said air deflector. In every instance of this problem, I've had to execute emergency maneuvers to avoid traffic accidents. The service manager at my local Ford dealership has commented that Ford engineering has no clue how to remedy this issue. My vehicle currently has approximately 75,000 miles on it and is covered under Ford's extended warranty.

- Carrollton, GA, USA

Oct 092013

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

At highway speeds the vehicle will not accelerate. It will backfire and sputter. This last incident on 1/22/2015 almost caused a serious or fatal accident at highway speeds with a tractor trailer. I tried to pass, when I stepped on the gas the engine backfired, the engine light came on and stopped running in the middle a traffic. A semi almost killed me and my passenger. I was able to get to the side of the road, turn the key off and then re-start the engine. Now the engine will barely accelerate from the start. I have an appointment on 2/4 to try to fix the problem. This has been an ongoing problem since I purchased the truck. It has now gotten increasingly worse and dangerous.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Jan 252015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Going up hill, stepped on gas, transmission shifted down one gear, let off gas and engine died. It showed low oil pressure on dash. Steering was hard (had to pull to side of road). Vehicle was then towed. Oil dip stick was pulled out and will not go back in. Latter discovered engine is seized up for no know reason.

- Kettle Falls, WA, USA

Sep 192012

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the vehicle jerk and crashed into another vehicle without warning. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed but not repaired. There were no injuries reported and no medical attention was required. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Bonners Ferry, ID, USA

Jan 172015

F-150

The ecoboost engine flashed the check engine light and started blinking and lost almost all power, vehicle slowed to approx 35 mph in the middle of high speed traffic. Ford says the recall never happened because you closed it with satisfactory repair results. I am told I have to now pay for this fix since it is after their 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. Yet the vehicle almost killed us. They say they have a misfire, cac fix tsb to correct the issue.

- Millwood, VA, USA

May 152013

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Same as previously reported by many others: Misfire upon acceleration up a hill; reported to dealer who found no error codes. Happened again soon after, this time activating engine warning light. Dealer replaced cylinder coil; next day, same type of misfire occurrence. Very unsafe situation, costing me lots of time and money. In addition, this eccoboost, as I have reported to Ford since it was new, has never achieved even close to rated mpg, only averaging 14 mpg or 40% less than advertised. Vehicle now back at livermore Ford, where technician was asked by service dept to drive unit home hooked into computer to see if problem can be diagnosed. This is an unacceptable and unsafe situation. Not happy.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA