2011 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 17)

Mar 062013

F-150

Generally speaking with a new vehicle I "baby" a new vehicle until I get over 75,000 mi. First incident - noticed around 40,000 mi. When accelerating to pass at highway speeds the vehicle shudders and doesn't have power. Thought it was bad gas, turbo lag, or intermittent transmission issue. Problem occurred a few times over the years, every time was during acceleration to pass or merge on to expressway conditions. Keep in mind since I was in the babying mileage range I rarely performed such acceleration. But after a couple of occurrences, I discussed this with a friend that also owns an ecoboost and he thought the same reasons. I have 7 year 100,000 extended warranty so I thought I would wait until the problem occurred frequently enough to easily trouble shoot. Of course frequency wouldn't be enough until after I get out of the "baby" stage on mileage. Currently the vehicle has over 75,000 miles. I no longer baby it. Problem occurs every time I accelerate to pass at highway speeds. Also, I have had the problem when accelerating to enter highway traffic from ramp. The ramp occurrence appears to be when I'm at a speed and then accelerate. Not sure if the problem happens when accelerating from a stop or slow speed. I'm concerned this may lead to an accident and potential a life threatening or changing event. What is one life worth? I guess that depends on if its yours. I believe this is a life threatening event and know that drivers like myself once aware pay attention and proceed with caution and this is the reason there hasn't been life lost, or no one has proven this was the root cause to accidents that have occurred. I fear for those who are not aware of this issue and that they may discover it at the wrong time. Please do something to help.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jan 102015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Went to pass car engine began sputtering and shaking had to pull off road to avoid accident.turned engine off and back on as directed by dealership for this on going problem but didn't correct this problem time.been fighting this problem since 2011 and just read where Ford was suppose to fix it.are Y'all waiting till someone gets killed?

- Lafayette, LA, USA

F-150 8-cyl

While towing my camper at 60 mph up an incline my 5.0L F150 began to lose power, as I increased pressure on the accelerator the power to the vehicle decreased even more. The service engine light came on and I limped up the hill at a whopping 20mph on the interstate. Once on the downgrade the vehicle came back up to speed and the service engine light went off. The truck continued to have power issues and a knocking from the motor when I was climbing hills. I took the vehicle to the Ford garage and they told me there were no codes to tell them what was wrong. The vehicle still has the apparent miss and knocking sound at certain RPM's and now has an issue starting for the first time of the day. I again took it to the Ford garage when the starting issue was happening and they told me again that the vehicle still had no codes to explain this problem. I tried all of the easy fixes but the vehicle still has the same starting and power loss issues and Ford can not tell me what is going on with my vehicle. My best guess is a catalytic converter issue, but I can do nothing about it until I know for sure.

- Shawnee, OK, USA

Dec 172014

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35-40 mph and driving up an incline, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that a retro kit had to be placed onto the turbo boost. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Luling, LA, USA

Dec 202014

F-150

I was trying to pass a vehicle on the highway, doing 70 mph, once I tried to accelerate the truck bogged down and almost had a head on collision. I tried to accelerate once more about 50 miles later and the same issue occurred. I researched and found this is a ongoing issue with all 2011-2013 F150 ecoboost.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Dec 152014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Lost power during acceleration, engine light came on instrument cluster. Truck had a severe miss. Drove about 20 miles in 5th gear and engine cleared up and light went off. Truck then missed during accelerations all the way home.

- Vinita, OK, USA

Oct 112011

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Since new, this vehicle has had an issue with a loss of power when accelerating hard. The latest incident, this past October, occurred at approximately 80000 miles. Plugs were bad prematurely and found that it was caused by water build up in a cac for the turbo chargers and there was a tsb. I was passing a car and lost power almost creating an accident. This time, fortunately, a light stayed on so they could diagnose the issue. The dealer did an update per the tsb but Ford refused to pay for the update due to the miles even though this issue has occurred numerous times before the warranty had expired. I am disappointed that the NHTSA did not make the recall mandatory in their previous investigation as I believe water being injected into an engine causing a power loss at a time power is called upon is dangerous.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Dec 072014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

I accelerated from a stop and the engine lost power and went to idle. The check engine light came on steady and the engine would not accelerate from idle. I turned off the engine and restarted and was able to accelerate past idle. After traveling about 1/2 mile the engine again lost power. I again restarted the vehicle and was able to travel home (approximately 15 miles). All the while the check engine light stayed on steady. A similar event occurred while towing a 30 foot travel trailer while on the I-80 freeway near rawlings wyo.in June, 2014, although that time the engine shuddered violently and the check engine light flashed on and off. After pulling to the side of the freeway the light stopped flashing and I was able to accelerate normally without having to restart the engine. The engine shudder has occurred several times since and has been reported to my Ford dealer (mission valley Ford truck in san jose, ca). The dealer was not able to duplicate or capture any computer defect codes after doing a computer scan.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 192014

F-150 6-cyl

The ecoboost engine Ford introduced into the F150 (and other vehicles) in 2011 seems to be having common and widespread problems, including my vehicle. I first reported this issue to the dealer with about 30,000 miles and now again at 63,000 miles. The safety issue is revealed under any acceleration "event" such as highway merging, passing, towing etc. Under acceleration the vehicle "chokes" and will not accelerate as the driver & passengers experience the vehicle stalling, shuddering or bucking. This is often described as the vehicle going into "limp mode" operating on fewer than all cylinders. The problems appear to stem from dysfunctional intercooler operation on this twin turbo engine. There are two different scenarios described in F150 blogs. One, most common, is that the cooling of the air via the intercooler causes condensation to accumulate inside the air intake. When the driver accelerates, the increase in air volume draws the moisture into the fuel delivery system and causes the engine to misfire, which the driver experiences as an engine stall, bucking or shuddering. The second scenario reported is that there is an overheating of air into the fuel deliver system which causes early detonation of the fuel mixture in the cylinders causing roughly the same symptoms. My vehicle repairs are costing me almost $700 - which would be more if I did not have an extended warranty. The dealer is replacing 6 spark plugs, 4 coil boots that have overheated and cracked, installing a new intercooler shield - none of which they are standing by as a dealer covered expense. Ford needs to be held accountable for this defective design for both consumer safety and financial reasons. Someone may be killed trying to pass or enter a highway as their vehicle suddenly looses power.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Sep 242014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

I purchased a 2011 Ford F-150 4X4 with around 41,000 miles on it from Texas direct auto, on 08/18/14 with an existing warranty on it. On the morning of 09/24/14 while driving to work, I heard a loud noise and smoke starting coming out of my ac vents, hood and exhaust pipe, as well as losing power to the truck and shaking really bad. I was able to get off the freeway to park it. The truck is still under power train warranty, so I towed it to joe myers Ford, houston, tx down the street. Long story short, I was told the motor blew and on 10/2/14 joe myers Ford is denying the warranty because I do not have service maintenance records, then I was told it was due to abuse. Joe myers Ford quotes me $10,500 to install a new motor. Texas direct auto where I purchased it, was not helping me out as well. The Ford truck has a 3.5L V6 dir DOHC 24V (ecoboost) motor. I know that NHTSA is/was investigating on these motors. I can not afford a $10,500 motor plus a paying for a $29,000 truck note.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 252014

F-150

I was accelerating to pass another vehicle, got up to approximately 65 mph when the engine stated to loose power and until I let off of the gas and began to slowly get back up to 55 mph. Vehicle is a 2011 F150 ecoboost.

- Rhinelander , WI, USA

Nov 042014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

I was merging on to the highway and the truck started violently jerking when I tried to accelerate. I had to pull over to the side of the road to prevent getting hit by faster cars. I let off of the accelerator and the truck regained composure after a minute or two. Now I can't give the truck more than a 1/4 throttle or it will start jerking again. Since that incident I have had Ford replace the intercooler, install a shield put over the top half of the intercooler per tsb 13 -8 -1, re-flashed computer, replaced spark plugs, and replaced fuel filter. The problem still persist today.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Oct 292014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

During acceleration to pass another motorist, truck exhibited multiple misfires causing truck to lose power and trigger the sel light. After that, the truck would not accelerate and was actually losing speed on the freeway. My truck now coasting, I had to maneuver my vehicle through traffic going much faster than me, to the right shoulder where I had to eventually shut the engine off and start it back up again. Truck then idled very rough and I preceded to exit the freeway because I didn't want to be in that dangerous situation again.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Jun 042012

F-150 6-cyl

Engine miss fire. The engine when trying to pass miss fires and actually slows down. When I took the vehicle to a Ford dealer they told me there was nothing wrong and it was not miss firing. It continued to do this and I repeatedly took it back for service with the same result. After doing some research there were many esb's on this subject with the turbo cooling system returning water back to the firing chambers burning out the spark plugs, coil packs, and sending raw fuel to the catalytic converter burning it out. I was never notified of these issues even though the esb's were available to the Ford dealer of the issues now that the warranty is over I am expected to repair these issues. This is fraud!!!

- Perryopolis, PA, USA

F-150

While driving on I-20 from dallas to lubbock, I attempted to pass a vehicle in the on-coming lane. When I hit the gas pedal, the truck went into vigorous shaking, and the engine lost all power to accelerate. I was three hours into the trip, the truck had been cruise controlled for over 60 miles, and it had been raining the entire way. When the truck did this, a vehicle (in on-coming lane) appeared and I had to slam on the brakes to return behind the car I attempted to pass. The shaking of the truck made it difficult to control and I had to pull over in fear of my safety, and ultimately my life. Had I not acted when I did, I might have been seriously injured or killed. Dealerships are unable to replicate the problem because it has not been the same conditions as my experience. This problem needs to be fixed before someone gets killed.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Sep 222014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Just purchased my vehicle. Then take it in for service for rotors that's are shot with 25K on it. Find out the last guy blew the turbo chargers at 4000 miles N traded it in. The vehicle shudders from take off. Then shifts hard. Also shifts hard from reverse to drive. Noone wants to admits there's problems. Dealers keep says oh its ok. Not true. I want a new vehicle. I just got it. They can shove it. Losses power when it wants to. I plug a charger into the ports the radio goes static. I mean wtf.

- Dunkirk, NY, USA

Jun 012013

F-150 6-cyl

There is a problem with the engine misfiring at moderate to hard acceleration. This really bothers me. As I have talked with Ford mechanics I have been told that Ford has no fix for this problem. From what I have read and studied, this is a problem with condensation in the intercooler making its way to he injectors. Once you put your foot on the gas pedal to accelerate you experience a sometimes violent stutter and the vehicle not accelerating but instead sounding like it's going to explode. I have also heard this happens when its humid outside. Regardless, one day I'm going to need to accelerate away or from something and the truck is going to fail, causing me to get hit or killed. I have found fixes to the problems including a full race intercooler, plugs and wires, however I don't think I should have to spend over $1000 for something Ford released knowing it wasn't ready, or up to par. I've owned my vehicle for over a year now and its 0% better even using top octane fuel. Please help...

- Palmetto, GA, USA

Sep 042014

F-150 6-cyl

I have a Ford F150 ecoboost. This vehicle is very defective due to loss of power when driving on highway trying to overpass other vehicles..vehicle looses power due to moisture or humidity that enters the intercooler. It also makes the cylinders to misfire and the turbo. Due to that engine turns on and I have to power to my vehicle while driving which can cause an accident due to a sudden slow in the middle of the highway.. I have three kids and I wouldn't want any accidents happening due to this.. Ford needs to do something about this vehicles I lost my money on a worthless piece of you know.im very disappointed because I've spend so much money on repairs are not working.

- PeŅItas, TX, USA

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Engine shakes and loses power when you try and speed up.

- Myrtle, MS, USA

Sep 122014

F-150 6-cyl

While driving at about 45 mph there was a total loss of power. The engine continued to run but missing badly. Coasted off the road, stopped and when ignition was turned off and restarted the problem corrected itself. This has happened 2 times in the past two weeks. The dealer won't do anything because there is no error code recorded. This condition could be dangerous in heavy traffic or pulling a trailer.

- Alabaster, AL, USA