2011 Ford F-150 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Aug 022016

F-150

Primarily while turning left power steering goes hard. Usually recovers after turning to right. Intermittent total power steering failure. As yet, unable to determine reproducible sequence of events to demonstrate issue to dealer.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 272016

F-150

While in motion went to turn left the steering locked up made a squalling sound, traction light displayed and also, power steering assist displayed and, service advance track displayed and turn signals were not staying on, (had to hold them manually.took truck to dealership and told the problem was an epas failure. Laymen terminology is the steering gear has failed. Mileage on vehicle is 39,882, and will cost approximately $1450 to fix this problem. I do have a repair invoice but have no way to scan. Be happy to mail a copy and any thing else needed.

- Advance, MO, USA

Jul 202016

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 25 mph, the steering made an abnormal noise. In addition, the vehicle became difficult to steer and the service traction control warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Springfield, LA, USA

Jul 022016

F-150

Without warning I came started by vehicle and the power steering was no longer working. The onboard computer advised of a power steering fault. This issue could have easily happened while driving on roads with sharp curves and/or while these vehicles were pulling a trailer ending in a potentially fatal collision.

- Huntingtown, MD, USA

Jul 042016

F-150

I purchased my vehicle used. When turning to the left steering wheel locks up. Happens at highway speeds and at very slow speeds. Very dangerous especially if someone is driving it that isn't aware of the issue.

- Eunice, LA, USA

Sep 272014

F-150

I have a 2011 F-150 cert. Preowned ( 9/22/2014), and from day one have had problems with the steering, from approximately 45mph and up, when going into left curve steering will try to continue to turn or track to the left, butt Ford cert. Tech. Can't seam to find the problem ?? imagine that !

- Bethlehem, GA, USA

Jun 152016

F-150

Driving 70 mph on interstate 44 out of joplin, mo when I was driving around a slight curve. The steering locked up. I could not steer at all. I slammed on the brakes to avoid crashing into oncoming cars. If there was another vehicle close to me it would have been an accident of really bad consequences. I was lucky. I took the truck to the local Ford dealer and they said the steering gear was crushed. I called Ford for an explanation and was literally told there is nothing they have to do. I want others to know that this happened with no warning whatsoever. The dealership is charging me $1500 plus change to fix this. I can't see how I will ever trust that steering again.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Jun 042016

F-150

During highway driving the power steering seems to shut off momentarily especially on movements to the left this can be scary and unsafe when driving at high speeds

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 142016

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving at various speeds, the steering wheel seized while making a left turn. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000. The VIN was not available.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 162016

F-150

During operation with vehicle in motion on a street, power steering shut off, directional signals would not stay on when used. Diagnosed at a Ford dealership as an epas failure.

- Townville, SC, USA

Mar 172016

F-150

My steering has become tight and catches when turning to the left. It catches when at a stop or going around curves like I've lost the power steering and has caused me to almost hit other vehicles on several occasions. It doesn't matter if I'm driving 25 miles an hour or driving down the highway. It pulls to the left all the time.

- Frederic, MI, USA

Apr 092016

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving 3 mph and backing out of a driveway, the steering wheel became very difficult to turn when shifted into drive. The contact had to turn the steering wheel aggressively. Once the vehicle was driven under normal conditions, the steering became stiff once again and difficult to control. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,900. Updated 09/20/16 when the consumer took the vehicle to the dealer, no codes displayed on the computer. Updated 10/18/16.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Mar 252016

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 65 mph, the contact heard an abnormal noise and the vehicle lost steering ability. The failure occurred without warning. Upon inspection, it was discovered that a steering component fell to the ground. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 160,000.

- Luling, TX, USA

Apr 052016

F-150

Power steering works sporadically when cold and at very low speeds, such as close turns into drives etc. Steering resembles old manual steering. Has been occurring since first of this year.

- Hayward, WI, USA

Mar 242016

F-150

Power steering assist default this message comes up and power steering is gone. The local repair shop gets a code the says "steering angle sensor" the vehicle is drivable at speeds of 45 mph but is very difficult to control at low speeds. The steering is jerky and hard to turn. Steering makes a lot of racket especially on sharp turns. After sharp turns like when parking this message comes up - "service advance track" then the turn signals have to be manually held on. The turn signal switch has already been replaced.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Mar 042016

F-150

While driving at approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the service power steering now warning light illuminated. In addition, the steering wheel seized. There needs to be a recall on this because I was making a slight turn on a country road when the steering wheel seized I had my little niece (18mont) in the truck to think that I could of lost her because of this issue tisk tisk Ford you let me down. Right now I haven't and I will not drive the truck in any way its been 3 weeks and my truck will sit in the drive way, im also making a video on youtube to see if it gets Ford attention.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 142016

F-150

Power steering has begun working intermittently requiring extra effort when turning, usually when vehicle is cold. Problem seems to decrease after having driven for 10 minutes or so.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 082016

F-150

Steering locked up while pulling out of the driveway.rack and pinion is bad.at same time it takes my turn singles out.

- Martins Ferry, OH, USA

Mar 062015

F-150

While steering through a turn at approximately 30 mph, the steering suddenly locked up for 2 seconds and the "service advancetrack" message came on. The message reset itself and did not appear again for 2 days, when the steering locked again. This repeated until the truck was taken to the dealership. The steering rack was replaced by the dealership in March of 2015. It is now March of 2016 and the steering is starting to lock up again, this time at low speeds while parking. The truck will be going back to the dealer for more service.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 092016

F-150

I have 63,000 miles on this vehicle. In the last week the steering has acted very weird. I have to overcompensate (oversteer or understeer) in order to accomplish the correct turn. I was traveling in town. I wouldn't drive it at highway speeds. I feel very uncomfortable driving this vehicle because I'm not sure I can depend on the steering. I went online to www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2011/steering/steering-2.shtml and found 65 similar complaints. What's going on? its continuing not to steer correctly (last Tuesday until now). The weather has been very mild for Minnesota (20-40S). I checked for ice and damage but didn't see anything.

- New Ulm, MN, USA