2011 Ford F-150 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

May 162016

F-150

During operation with vehicle in motion on a street, power steering shut off, directional signals would not stay on when used. Diagnosed at a Ford dealership as an epas failure.

- Townville, SC, USA

Mar 172016

F-150

My steering has become tight and catches when turning to the left. It catches when at a stop or going around curves like I've lost the power steering and has caused me to almost hit other vehicles on several occasions. It doesn't matter if I'm driving 25 miles an hour or driving down the highway. It pulls to the left all the time.

- Frederic, MI, USA

Apr 092016

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving 3 mph and backing out of a driveway, the steering wheel became very difficult to turn when shifted into drive. The contact had to turn the steering wheel aggressively. Once the vehicle was driven under normal conditions, the steering became stiff once again and difficult to control. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,900. Updated 09/20/16 when the consumer took the vehicle to the dealer, no codes displayed on the computer. Updated 10/18/16.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Mar 252016

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 65 mph, the contact heard an abnormal noise and the vehicle lost steering ability. The failure occurred without warning. Upon inspection, it was discovered that a steering component fell to the ground. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 160,000.

- Luling, TX, USA

Apr 052016

F-150

Power steering works sporadically when cold and at very low speeds, such as close turns into drives etc. Steering resembles old manual steering. Has been occurring since first of this year.

- Hayward, WI, USA

Mar 242016

F-150

Power steering assist default this message comes up and power steering is gone. The local repair shop gets a code the says "steering angle sensor" the vehicle is drivable at speeds of 45 mph but is very difficult to control at low speeds. The steering is jerky and hard to turn. Steering makes a lot of racket especially on sharp turns. After sharp turns like when parking this message comes up - "service advance track" then the turn signals have to be manually held on. The turn signal switch has already been replaced.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Mar 042016

F-150

While driving at approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the service power steering now warning light illuminated. In addition, the steering wheel seized. There needs to be a recall on this because I was making a slight turn on a country road when the steering wheel seized I had my little niece (18mont) in the truck to think that I could of lost her because of this issue tisk tisk Ford you let me down. Right now I haven't and I will not drive the truck in any way its been 3 weeks and my truck will sit in the drive way, im also making a video on youtube to see if it gets Ford attention.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 142016

F-150

Power steering has begun working intermittently requiring extra effort when turning, usually when vehicle is cold. Problem seems to decrease after having driven for 10 minutes or so.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 082016

F-150

Steering locked up while pulling out of the driveway.rack and pinion is bad.at same time it takes my turn singles out.

- Martins Ferry, OH, USA

Mar 062015

F-150

While steering through a turn at approximately 30 mph, the steering suddenly locked up for 2 seconds and the "service advancetrack" message came on. The message reset itself and did not appear again for 2 days, when the steering locked again. This repeated until the truck was taken to the dealership. The steering rack was replaced by the dealership in March of 2015. It is now March of 2016 and the steering is starting to lock up again, this time at low speeds while parking. The truck will be going back to the dealer for more service.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 092016

F-150

I have 63,000 miles on this vehicle. In the last week the steering has acted very weird. I have to overcompensate (oversteer or understeer) in order to accomplish the correct turn. I was traveling in town. I wouldn't drive it at highway speeds. I feel very uncomfortable driving this vehicle because I'm not sure I can depend on the steering. I went online to www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2011/steering/steering-2.shtml and found 65 similar complaints. What's going on? its continuing not to steer correctly (last Tuesday until now). The weather has been very mild for Minnesota (20-40S). I checked for ice and damage but didn't see anything.

- New Ulm, MN, USA

Aug 052015

F-150

Steering sticks when turning left. It is as if the power steering quits working. Happens at all speeds. Dash lights come off and on at different times-appears to have no connection to light switches

- Kalispell, MT, USA

Feb 022016

F-150

When the electrical power steering fails, one is unable to turn the wheels any further. This can happen when the vehicle is moving or stationary, and happens at all speeds, doesn't matter city or highway driving. I feel this is a critical safety issue, since one would be unable to turn the wheels in order to avoid a hazard in the road, I.e. a child darting out onto the streets, or, if one what following a curve in the road, one would not be able to follow the curve, and could end up off the road, or, impacting an object on the side of the road, or, end up in a body of water, or, down an embankment.

- Terryville, CT, USA

Dec 282015

F-150

While turning the power steering went out. I was not going fast but it straightened out the truck and luckily there was no one in the left lane. The power steering assist as well as the service advancetrac warning messages came on. I was able to get the vehicle home but definitely dangerous to drive. The truck is at the dealer and hopefully being fixed. This is a scary failure and should be addressed. A few different circumstances and this could have hurt someone. Sudden loss of power steering in a turn should not be something a vehicle with 37,400 miles on it should have to worry about.

- Humble, TX, USA

Dec 212015

F-150

While driving down and interstate "power steering assist failure" warning comes up and I lost all power steering. I was able to muscle the car home and after calling the dealer the service manager said they had no idea why that would happen. After researching on the site, it seems this is a common problem that is recalled in some model years but not in others. I have been complaining about the "service advancetrak" warning coming on since I purchased the vehicle and was always told it wasn't hurting anything. I have an extended warranty but after reading it may not do any good. I will be at the dealership tomorrow.

- Disputanta, VA, USA

Dec 192015

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel seized, which caused the contact to lose control of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 87,000.

- Garden City, MI, USA

Sep 012015

F-150

2011 F-150 FX4. Service advancetrac warning light displays. It comes on when I start up the vehicle stationary. The turn signals stop working, too. The next day the light will be off. Appears to be a common manufacturing defect that should be a recall just like on the 2014 F-150S as it is a issues of safety.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Oct 012011

F-150

1. rear defrost and side mirror defrost fuse continually blows. Started appx 3 yrs and at 42,000 miles 2. steering column locks up when turning left at a slow speed in cases such as pulling into or out of a driveway or parking spot or making a U turn. At high speeds on the interstate vehicle floats to the left and it is hard to straighten, almost as if there is no power assist.(I understand Ford recalled some but not all 2011 F150's for a steering rack replacement (started around 4 yrs/ 55,000 miles 3. transmission takes about 10 seconds to engage into reverse upon starting in the morning or on cold days when vehicle has been parked for mare then say 5 hours started around 6 months/ 6,000 miles.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jul 112015

F-150

At 45,000 miles, service advancetrac light would come on when performing tight turns (ex. Parking). After the service light appeared, turn signal wouldn't work or would only work when held down. This issue occurred off and on until vehicle was brought in for service at 50,700 miles. Entire steering rack had to be replaced. Part not covered under warranty, replacement cost was around $1500.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Nov 172015

F-150

I have seen many posts about the same issue with fellow 2011 Ford F-150 owners. My truck also locked up on me driving on a city street during lunch hour and when I took it to the dealer (under warranty) they advised after diagnostics that the electronic rack and pinion needed to be changed. After hearing a ridiculous price of $1800 (part and labor) I asked why was it not covered under drivetrain warranty in which they advised it was "electrical." Ford needs to assist all Ford F-150 owners on this matter if they don't want a huge lawsuit if, god forbid, anyone gets into an accident.

- Mcallen, TX, USA