2011 Ford F-150 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 9)

Oct 012014

F-150

At roughly 32000 miles, in October of 2014 I experienced a failure of the electric brake vacuum assist. The symptoms were that the pump constantly ran and could audibly be heard where it was not previously constantly running. As soon as I noticed a change I reported the issue to johnson Ford in pittsfield MA.. the pump was replaced in October of 2014 under warranty. No recall or campaign has been implemented for this condition but numerous reports by Ford owners have been made regarding the same condition. I believed the audible noise I was hearing was a steering component because I was simultaneously having an issue with "notchy" steering. While negotiating a long, gradual turn my steering would lock while turning left. The wheel would lock when the top of the steering wheel was in the area of the 10 O'clock position. No crash occurred but the condition was very unsafe. The vehicle had to be driven erratically to remedy the condition. A hard yank on the wheel was necessary to forcibly increase steering input. The steering components were also replaced in October of 2014 by johnson Ford under warranty. No recall or campaign has been implemented for this condition but numerous reports have been made regarding the same condition. The electric vacuum assist replaced in October of 2014, nine months ago was the same part with no updates as the one that failed. I again hear the vacuum assist motor running almost constant as it was when replaced. The truck is no longer under warranty. I have only had this vacuum assist for nine months. I spoke with Ford customer service. No warranty is available as I have driven the truck in excess of 12,000 miles (12,200 miles at the time I reported the problem). The customer service employee offered no service other than to bring it to Ford at my expense for repairs, $130 diagnosis, $580 pump, $200 labor.

- Windsor, MA, USA

Jul 112015

F-150

I was making a series of turns in a parking lot looking for a building on a college campus and then without warning I lost power steering. A warning light came on and said that there is a braking assist fault. I finally was able to muscle my truck into a parking space and shut the truck off. When I turned the truck back on my power steering was back. It went on for two days without happening again, until today (7-24-15) it occurred twice in one day. The steering wheel is feeling funny especially when turning left. It feels a little lose when turning left. It feels like it is slipping when turning. Again once the vehicle is shut off and restarted the power steering returned.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Jun 222015

F-150

While making a sharp left turn I heard a loud squeaking sound, and then got the advance trac fault and it reset it self and a few days later got the same sound and fault. About 3 weeks later I heard the same noise and the steering wheel locked intermittently and I wasn't able to turn the steering wheel left direction. Had vehicle taken to local Ford dealer and was told by service tech that the steering gear needs to be replaced, cost $1,750. This is a very dangerous problem that needs to be recalled and repaired by Ford. This can put a driver in an accident resulting in injury or possible death upon failure.

- Drums, PA, USA

Jun 232015

F-150

While driving 45mph down a straight road, my dash displayed the following error "power steering fault" and my power steering stopped working. I pulled over and stopped to read the manual. It says if/when this happens turn your vehicle off for 10 seconds and restart. If the error message appears again, take the vehicle to a dealership immediately. My concern is, how can an electronic error appear for "power steering fault" and stop working instantaneously? I have read numerous blogs and comments online how this is very common and peoples stories of wrecks or this happening on the highway while traveling at high speeds! this needs to be addressed immediately! I unplugged my battery for 10 minutes to clear the error from the "trucks computer". the power steering worked again fine for about a day then it did the same thing. This is an electronic error that can kill somebody if it has not already.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Jun 082015

F-150

When making a left turn at a light, the steering wheel froze and there was no power steering. The advancetrac service light came on and stayed on. Vehicle was hauled to the dealer where it was purchased. They kept the truck 4 days, said they replaced part #el3Z3504be, epas steering gear assembly, and that the truck road tested fine. We picked up the truck and within 20 miles it did the same thing when we attempted to make a right turn. We have owned this truck for 3 years, 4 months and it has less than 53,000 miles. This is clearly a safety issue that Ford should recall. It is also very clear that they do not know what is causing, or how to fix, this problem. This is a serious safety hazard as you cannot steer the vehicle when this happens. Ford needs to step up!!!

- Nuevo, CA, USA

Jun 022015

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 40 mph, the power steering failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the power steering electronic gear module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Jul 172014

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving 5 mph or higher and making a left turn, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- North Oak , MN, USA

May 172015

F-150

While making a sharp left turn I heard a loud squeaking sound, and then got the advance trac fault and it reset it self and a few days later got the same sound and fault. About 3 weeks later I heard the same noise and the steering wheel locked and I wasn't able to turn the steering wheel either direction. Had vehicle towed to local Ford dealer and was told by service tech that the steering gear needs to be replaced, cost $1,750.

- Summerville, SC, USA

May 112015

F-150

Steering had a dead spot at low speed, advancetrac lights came on and stayed on for a few days. Steering was very unresponsive. Took to dealer, was advised of a $2700 repair being needed for the steering gear and a reflash of the computer. 80,000 miles, not covered under warranty or goodwill, haven't even had this truck 2 weeks. So now I'm stuck with a lump, not sure what to do. Ford dealer acknowledged this issue, said that it is likely to be recalled in the future, but until then, there is nothing they can do. This should not happen on a 2011 model vehicle with so few miles.

- Asheville, NC, USA

May 012015

F-150

Second incident with my 2011 Ford F-150. Epas steering gear failed 9 months after purchasing new. Failed again last week. Second replacement of this gear. This is a safety hazard. The first time this gear failed, I was unable to steer, fortunately I was turning at a stop light at slow speed. This most recent time I could still steer but wasn't sure for how long. This is a well known issue with this model truck and should be recalled and properly fixed before someone looses steering at highway speeds.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Apr 172015

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving at approximately 5 mph and turning into a parking space, the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 012015

F-150

The service advancetrac warning came on and the dealership said the truck needed a new steering gear. They stated that if this were to fail, control of the truck would be lost resulting in a major issue. This is a safety issue and needs to be recalled.

- Jenks, OK, USA

Aug 272013

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

We were traveling down the interstate when the red battery light came on. Shortly thereafter loss of power steering, loss of stability control (per dash indicator), and loss of power brakes. I have had the alternator replaced 2 separate times since for a total of three (3) alternators as well as one new battery. Now truck is in shop again for same malfunction. 2011 Ford F150 lariat. Crew cab. V-6 engine. Only 54000 miles and I am anticipating my fourth (4th) alternator. I use the truck in non-mountainous terrain, mostly highway for errands, and rarely tow. I believe a recall investigation should commence.

- Madison, SD, USA

Jan 202015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000. Updated 4/20/15 the consumer stated that the vehicle was repaired at the owner's expense. Updated 6/26/2015

- Palemerton, PA, USA

Feb 072015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I was slowing down to pull in my driveway and the steering went out, almost took out my wifes car. Service steering now came on. Put the truck in park, turned off and restarted. Went to drive error code went away, as I was backing up steering became hard and impossible. Service steering immediately came on. Muscled the truck straight in my driveway and backed it to the end. Called the dealer I bought it from and was told that im not the first one to come in with this problem, but there is no recall on it and it would cost me 1500+ to repair. I don't make a lot of money, and I had my little brother in the truck. How is this okay? I cant drive this let alone get to work.

- Indain Trail, NC, USA

Dec 302014

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving 65 mph, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. The contact also stated that the entire electrical control panel failed and the instrument panel illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 39,000.

- Weston , WV, USA

Jan 182012

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Popping rattling knocking felt in steering wheel. Started when going over bumps then progressed into driving normal. Constant steering wheel popping and rattling. Feels like steering is coming apart. Dealership verified complaint. They have installed 2 different eaps steering rack and 1 intermediate steering shaft. The problem still persist...

- Ofallon, IL, USA

Jan 062015

F-150

TL-the contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the service power steering now warning light illuminated. In addition, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it diagnosed that the electric power steering module and the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,308. Djr

- Monroe, LA, USA

Nov 172014

F-150 6-cyl

When turning steering locks up going left prevent correction or turning.

- Garland, TX, USA

Dec 172014

F-150

Steering started making a funny noise and power steering stopped working. Could not steer vehicle. No prior issues with steering.

- Penn Valley, CA, USA