2011 Ford F-150 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Nov 172014

F-150 6-cyl

When turning steering locks up going left prevent correction or turning.

- Garland, TX, USA

Dec 172014

Steering started making a funny noise and power steering stopped working. Could not steer vehicle. No prior issues with steering.

- Penn Valley, CA, USA

Jun 112012

F-150 6-cyl

Steering became sluggish and pulled slightly to the right. I thought that the front right tire was flat. After pulling over the tire was not flat. Problem was not present after I had stopped to check tire. From that time on while driving at any speed there was an occasional "stickiness" to the steering. Also while wheel was turned completely to right or left there would be a thump and then it would stick just a bit before steering normally. During the longest stretch of this trouble I had an appointment made to have it checked but it stopped before the appointment. Then this week at about 25 to 30 miles an hour it was a very noticeable jerk to right and left while driving to destination and had to back into a difficult area where making full turns right and left were necessary. Turning from one complete turn to the next took a lot of force to get steering wheel to start back the other way. Made it back home just 3 to 4 miles was no problem. Next morning while backing into parking area had wheel turned all the way to right it would not come back and had to be towed to dealership.

- Quincy , IL, USA

Aug 042014

Screeching in rack and pinion and lost all power steering. Took for diagnostic and was told it was the steering angle sensor embedded in the rack. Entire rack has to be replaced. Truck is only 3 years old with 52,000 miles. New rack and pinion is over $1500.

- St Matthews, SC, USA

Oct 272014

F-150 8-cyl

Steering became locked and could not avoid hitting the merging curb. This resulted in blowing both tires on the passenger side and chipping both rims beyond repair. While no one was injured this time I am definitely surprised a recall has not been issued for this problem.

- Evans, GA, USA

Oct 172014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

The electric power steering lock! and send me to the side walk, thanks god nobody was there.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Sep 252014

F-150 6-cyl

My 2011 Ford F150 -with only 39000 miles- had a complete failure of the rack mounted electric power assisted steering module which prohibited it from being driven. The failure caused an increase in steering effort (no power assist) of the vehicle which needed to be towed to the dealer for repair. Fortunately, the vehicle was not being driven at that time and was parked at the time of the failure. In addition, a driver alert was observed that indicated that the power steering rack had failed and warned to service the power steering system. An attempt was made to reset the system but the message returned again after restart and the power steering assist was not functioning. The vehicle was towed to the Ford dealer who indicated that the power steering rack had failed and would need to be replaced. Total replacement cost was in excess of $1500. The vehicle only had 39000 miles indicated on the odometer. This is very similar to reports of the failures on sedan vehicles installed with similarly designed power steering racks. It is recommended to NHTSA, that the recall/investigation of this issue with sedans be expanded to include Ford light trucks.

- Ridgecrest, CA, USA

Sep 302014

Loud sound and popping when turning wheels sharp. Has been happening for a while and has gotten worse. Service advance trac message displays and then turn signals no longer work. Eventually warning would disappear but would come back on when turning sharp again. Took in for service and problem became so bad that vehicle would not turn. Having to replace rack and pinion.

- Ash, NC, USA

Aug 042014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The first time this happened I was driving on a highway on ramp turning left and my steering wheel stayed stuck in the turned position. My truck felt like it was going to flip and the wheels would not straighten out until I turned them back. It has also caused my truck to put up warning about my stability control. This has happened to me a number of times and seems to happen when it is warm outside. I feel this needs to be looked at because it could be a serious risk of rolling over.

- Mauldin, SC, USA

Sep 082014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While driving on the highway at approximately 65 mph as I steered into a left hand curve in the road with the steering wheel in about the 10 O'clock position the steering "locked" into that position. The vehicle felt as if the wheels had entered a rut in the road. The automatic return to center function did not work and I hand to manually apply force to bring the steering wheel back to center. This malfuntion continued to occur whenever the above conditions were met. I brought the vehicle to the dealer and they had to replace the electric power assist steering system "rack". Ford is aware of this problem and has a tsb (#11-08-18) in effect to address it. The tsb has the problem narrowed down the the year, model, place of manufacure, and date of manufacture. I do not understand how a well documented problem such as this that has been fully researched and identified is not the subject of a safety recall. This problem could easily cause a vehicle to drift out of its lane on a divided highway, into oncoming traffic on on undivided road or off the roadway entirely.

- Lake Grove, NY, USA

Jul 152014

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The contact stated that the failure occurred on six occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000. Updated 10/24/14

- Owings, MD, USA

Sep 012014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

When maneuvering in the parking lot, the epas unit failed creating the steering wheel to be extremely hard to move. This issue was so bad I could no longer drive the truck back due to safety concerns. I am having the truck towed to the Ford dealer to see what they can do about this issue. The service advancedtrac information display appeared on my dash as well as electronic powersteering assist system failure. When turning as far right as possible the truck would make a really loud metal to metal noise. This truck is no longer able to drive safely, hopefully Ford will take action to fix this issue before its too late. Otherwise, I am still going to have to pay out of pocket around $1200-1500 to have this fixed.

- Urbana, OH, USA

Jan 012012

F-150 6-cyl

Service advance trac light comes on when reversing with wheel fully turned, slight grinding noise heard. Called dealership and told not a concern -- the new systems "do that". mentioned at next service appointment and told nothing is wrong. Noise gets intermittently worse, but dealership is "unable to replicate problem" before the warranty expires in March 2014. In July 2014 (26,000 miles), the sat light comes on whenever the wheel is fully turned in forward, reverse, and park, and a loud grinding metal on metal sound occurs. The dealership could hear it this time and diagnosed steering gear assembly failure. The service representative stated on July 18, 2014 that the service advance trac light indicates this problem and that the vehicle is not safe to drive. This should be a recall before injuries or deaths occur due to steering failure.

- Northville, MI, USA

Jul 172014

F-150 6-cyl

Luckily, there was not an incident in my case. I had a rear sliding window switch replaced under warranty. I also had an oil change and my battery terminals cleaned by the dealers service department. When I went to pick up my vehicle and began to drive off, I noticed a warning displaying the message "service advancetrac". I then left the vehicle with the service department again. When the service advisor contacted me to tell me what the technicians diagnosed, he said that the truck needed a new electric steering rack. He also told me that this part is on national backorder. After doing some research, I found that this is a vital part in steering functionality. I also read that if this part fails while you are driving, there is a serious risk of accident. I'm thankful that my truck wasn't moving when this steering rack went bad. But it concerns me that so many Ford owners have had this happen to them and that this is not a recall. I also think that if this part is on national backorder, there must be many people who are having this issue as well. I want to do my part to make the public aware that this part also went bad on my vehicle. I want to contribute to the numbers so that this can become a recall if the data shows it's necessary.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Mar 142014

F-150 8-cyl

The steering on my truck has started to stick and is getting worse all of the time. It started happening at low speeds and has since started to stick on the highway. It is bad enough that I have to pull the wheel to get the truck back in line.

- Omaha, NE, USA

May 012014

F-150 8-cyl

Lack of steering wheel return ability on left turns. Must be manually corrected.

- Quarryville, PA, USA

May 102014

Power steering became inoperable without warning causing vehicle to become difficult to steer or control. Vehicle was taken to Ford dealer where problem was diagnosed as a failed steering rack, rack was replaced and vehicle now operates normally. The sudden power steering failure could cause loss of control and a crash.

- Edmond , OK, USA

Apr 282014

Vehicle has just over 40,000 miles all highway. Vehicle is 4WD. Vehicle has never towed, hauled or been off road. Took vehicle to Ford dealership to have A/C serviced (which was noted having problems during warranty, but techs never found issue nor ran diagnostics) during the diagnostics the service tech stated there was a noise coming from the steering gear. *note the vehicle had been out of owner's possession and at the dealership awaiting A/C service for 4 days. Owner stated that there had been no steering issues or warnings displayed in the vehicle and had been operating without any problems. Dealership states that when they finished the A/C service that the steering ceased upon backing the vehicle out of the service area. Owner asked why the steering gear is not covered under the drive train warranty. The dealership advised that this issue is a common issue that is being encountered with the new Ford epas system and is not covered under the drivetrain warranty even though the vehicle's low mileage. Owner requesting that Ford pay for replacement due to it being commonly defective. Vehicle still in dealership's possession.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Dec 202013

F-150 8-cyl

On the night of Dec 20, 2013, I was traveling South on I81 North of syracuse NY. Road conditions were not very good. A block of ice fell off a truck ahead of me, evasive action was not possible due to ice and traffic volume. The ice struck the alternator which is cleverly positioned about 10" off the ground on the lower left front of the vehicle. The vehicle began to lose electrical power system by system. I cant recall the exact sequence, as it was all happening pretty fast. Eventually, the electric power steering system lost power. When this happens on this vehicle, you lose all steering capability. Its not like its just manual steering, there is no steering other than the ability to slightly alter course by pulling extremely hard on the wheel. The vehicle had no lights, the shoulders were unplowed, stopping wasn't a good idea. As good fortune would have it, the cicero NY exit presented itself at that moment. I was able to pull extremely hard on the wheel and was able to steer the slight curve. At the bottom, I discovered I had no breaks. I shot across the usually busy NY 31 and into a kwikstop, where I stomped on the emergency brake and came to a stop. We shortly discovered a fire underneath the engine and were able to extinguish it with snow. I cannot believe a steering system like this is permitted. Had I known it had this system and its limitations, id never have bought the car. If my son and I had been killed that night, it would have all been chalked up to road conditions. In furious about this system. It needs to be

- Ogdensburg, NY, USA

Apr 172014

Steering locks when making right turns and then straightening out.

- Washington, DC, USA