2013 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 262016

F-150

I was traveling along I-85 about 70mph in my 2013 F-150 stx 5.0 when out of nowhere the truck down shifted from overdrive to 2 gear the truck started wheel hopping and barking the tires and was nearly uncontrollable! I was almost hit in the rear several times until I could limp it to the shoulder and if anyone knows the area I was almost in charlotte nc traffic is terrible. Once I gathered myself noticed the seatbelt light came on odometer showed 2 dotted lines with the a wrench sign, also tried to take off aging little power speedometer was not working and would not shift out of 2nd gear. I stopped and cut the truck off and waited about 5 minutes and seem to be okay. The very next day going down the highway about 55mph and it did the same thing except this time the back wheels seem to have locked up and when it let loose I almost got hit trying to the shoulder once again did the exact things as the day before still no check engine light. I called the local dealer and was told nothing could be done until a check engine light came on. Once again after letting the truck set for a bit it seemed okay. So for about 3 days it run fine and I was to leave the next morning for out of town work and my truck is the only means of transportation and just as I pulled from my house it started to act up and the check engine light came on just so happens I live near a parts store chain and the person put the code device on and the code came up with I believe it was P 0720 which was the output speed sensor switch located in the transmission.. dealer repaired at a cost of $987 that I paid that hurt my wallet. I called Ford customer service and the agent said that it has happened to other years with same code and the same fix and would open a case to see if there is a way to get Ford to pay, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Feb 122016

F-150

2013 Ford F-150. Consumer writes in regards to engine continued to stall after dealership replaced throttle body unit. The consumer stated he had two units fail within a seven month period, that caused the acceleration to shut down. When it incidents occurred, he was forced to coast to a safe location to re-start the vehicle.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Jul 182016

F-150

While driving my 2013 Ford platinum F-150 at approximately 35 mph going straight on a town road heading to the highway, the wrench service light came and and instantly putting the truck into "limp" mode only allowing me to drive 5 mph. I am lucky not to be in highway traffic. I did have my family with me heading on a 5 hour journey. Completely unsafe! after a few restarts the same wrench light came on as well as the check engine light. And again the vehicle went into limp mode allowing me to drive 5mph. The grieco MA Ford dealer said it was a failed throttle body, vehicle only has 55K miles on it and has been serviced regularly at the aforementioned Ford dealer! I hope this safety issue gets recalled so no one will ever have to go through the situation like I did ever again!

- Berkley, MA, USA

Jun 102016

F-150

Lose power on acceleration while passing on the highway sudden lost of power and engine fail shacking type of feel not noise or warning before events

- Roswell, NM, USA

May 052016

F-150

The truck will down shift while driving. It has happened a few times now. I was driving about 30mph and experienced a drop in power and the gauges started jumping all over. It also dropped to 1st gear when I was on the highway doing 70 mph. It felt like someone threw the E-break. Quick jerking motion. I had to pull over and shut the truck off. Thankfully my family was not in the vehicle and no one was directly behind me. The few other times it happened I noticed something going wrong so I quickly pulled off the road and shut it down. Turning it off seemed to "reset" things and let me get home. I had a diagnostic ran and it coded #4 spark plug and #4 coil. I had both of those replaced - and experienced the same issue the very next day! ran another diagnostic and it coded the same way! took it to a Ford dealership to check it out and their final answer was "needs a new engine". it has 110K miles on it and I bought it less than 1 year ago and it needs a new engine? I have $700 wrapped up in replacing parts that did not need replacing and diagnostics that did not give me a realistic solution. This does not sound like an engine issue- sounds very similar to the recent recall on the 2011-2012 models. Truck is parked in the driveway. No one in my family will be driving it. Hope to hear that Ford recognizes the bigger issue here and steps up to take care of this.

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Feb 022016

F-150

My truck has been experiencing hesitation upon acelleration and is making noises and my check engine light was on. I took it to the dealership on February 2, 2016 be fixed and at first it was covered under warranty. I took it back on February 16, 2016 bc I had to have a Ford rental per Ford. The truck was repaired but then it wasn't covered per Ford and I had to pay over $400 to get it fixed. My check engine light came on again and it had to go back to the dealership but this time it was covered under warranty. I just got my truck back on April 11,2016 and today on April 14, 2016 the light is back on. I am waiting on a call back from the Ford dealership to find out what to do next.

- Cherry Creek, NY, USA

Oct 222015

F-150

Driving down the road going about 45mph and lost power to gas wouldn't go over 30mph tool light came on then and number 1 warning light came on. Let it sit for half a hour, turn back on and it must have reset it self P. drove back home which is 20 miles away and it did it again. I bought this truck brand new it only has 60K miles on it.

- Morgantown, KY, USA

May 162015

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate from a complete stop, the vehicle would hesitate in shifting gears and maintaining speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the charge air cooler needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, however the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 18,000. Updated 01/12/16

- Macomb Township, MI, USA

Aug 112015

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While making a turn at approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle resumed normal operation shortly after the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 22,000.

- Warrington, PA, USA

Feb 242015

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle did not decelerate and increased in rpms when the brake pedal was depressed. As a result, the contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was taken to a body repair shop, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Sep 262014

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact stated that when he attempted to accelerate from a stop, the vehicle rapidly accelerated as the rpms increased to 4000. The contact applied the brakes and shifted into neutral however, the vehicle did not respond and the rpms remained at 4000. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 26,000. Updated 11/20/14

- Oakfield, NY, USA

Jul 282014

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle's speed declined and would not accelerate. The failure occurred twice. The dealer stated that the failure was due to humidity and moisture. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 10,400.

- Monticello, GA, USA

Jun 092014

F-150 6-cyl

2013 Ford F-150. Consumer writes in regards to airbag system, cruise control system and other electrical issues. The consumer stated he returned the vehicle to the dealer twice, for the issues. The dealer failed to identify any electrical faults in the air bag system. A month later, during service on the air bags, the horn failed to operate.

- Arnold, MD, USA

Aug 182013

F-150

Was accelerating entering interstate I95 North bound from an on ramp and suddenly my vehicle lost power and began to stall and shutter. The truck rapidly lost power plus speed and a tractor trailer truck almost ran in to the back of me. I dealt with this issue for the remainder of my 500 mile trip to nyc (and still dealing with this issue today now weekly bases). Once back home I took the truck to the dealership who was aware of misfire issues with my truck model (apparently it is known by the manufacturer that the truck stalls and misfires issue and said I had all the latest updates however still today I experience stall and misfire mainly under hard acceleration. Lately the issue has worsen and I am told by the manufacturer that there is nothing that they can of will do about it until they come up with a fix. This vehicle is a major safety risk period. I have asked the manufacturer over and over to correct the problem however they simply told me they don't have a fix for is as of yet. I am asking that you look into this and investigate my concern please don't wait until someone god forbid loose their life because this is a major safety concern. We need to be more proactive than reactive. The Ford F150's equipped with the turbo eco boost engine is a major safety hazard it is just a matter of time before someone gets hurt and loose their life before something might be done - that is the sad part. Please I beg you to look into my concern and follow up asap. Just last night my vehicle stalled I have to constantly drive it cautiously. I only have less than 14,000 miles on the vehicle because I am scared to drive it - I don't want to sell it to no one else because I would feel bad knowing the major safety issues this vehicle has - I just can't bring myself to putting someone in a vehicle that could hurt them. Please get behind Ford and investigate this issue.

- Aiken , SC, USA

Jun 242014

F-150 6-cyl

After driving for several hours on the interstate we had stopped to re-fuel. Upon re-entry onto the interstate the truck failed to accelerate, the check engine light came on, the truck was shaking it took 30-40 seconds before normal operation resumed. This is the 3rd time this has happened, twice on of which were on the interstate while attempting to merge into traffic or pass vehicles. All three times the conditions have been high humidity, rain & traveling at a relatively constant speed for an extended period of time.

- Mahomet, IL, USA

Jun 052014

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F150. The contact stated that while driving in a parking lot, the vehicle suddendly accelerated and crashed into a parked vehicle. The contact indicated that after putting the vehicle in reverse and back into drive the failure recurred, causing the contact to crash into to the vehicle a second time. There were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the defect. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 14,000.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 262014

F-150 6-cyl

The following occurred in a 2013 F150 platinum with 12,000 miles on it. While accelerating from a traffic light, the car lost power and stuttered and fell into limp mode. You could not drive over 10 mph. This has been just one of many similar incidents. I have taken the car in several times but Ford cannot replicate the problem, so they will not fix anything. Recently, the car just misfired while driving around 40mph, these incidents occur suddenly then the car recovers. My car is currently in the shop, I will pick it up today, they said they could not replicate the problem, so no service was done. The reason it was in the shop this time? I was driving to work in the morning and the car basically collapsed while driving, almost causing a huge accident, this incident was more extreme than the others and the car was stuck in limp mode for about 5 seconds, the woman behind me almost smashed into me. This is a 50K truck with 12,000 miles on it. This truck is extremely dangerous to drive. Recall!!!!!!

- Bayville , NY, USA

Jan 092014

F-150

While accelerating to enter the hov lane (far left) in heavy traffic the vehicle accelerated on its own to 3500 RPM. Braking did not over-ride the acceleration. Slowed on it's own after 15 miles of 70 mph driving without touching the gas pedal. Three months later, while accelerating quickly from a stop, to slow, to start in traffic, the truck accelerated again on its own. Tac read 3500 RPM while pulled over in and out of gear (N). Shop unable to replicate issue and have been told to drive it. This is a county of santa clara, California fleet truck.

- New Almaden, CA, USA

Apr 122014

F-150 8-cyl

I was at a complete stop on a main street making a left turn. Traffic was coming in the opposite direction and I was waiting for clearing within the traffic in order to make my left turn. There was an opening in traffic and I stepped on the gas to accelerate across the lane. As I stepped on the gas a message on my dashboard came on stating "low oil pressure" and the vehicle completed stalled. I completely lost all power on the engine and also the steering wheel. The vehicle drifted across the busy lane and barely made it across the lane as traffic was coming directly towards me. Multiple vehicles were coming in my direction and some honked there car horn to get out of the way. This was extremely frightening as I had my baby with me in the back seat. The cars would have clearly hit my vehicle if I had not drifted across that lane. The truck is practically new as it barely has 6724 miles. Updated 10/8/2014

- Frisco, TX, USA

Apr 072014

F-150 6-cyl

I was at a stop sign turning into a main street, I accelerated to turn into the intersection when I attempted to accelerate the truck did not do anything. It was really nerve wrecking, I stepped on the gas like 3 times until the truck finally reacted. I almost got into a really bad accident which would of been my fault because of the cars defect. This is not the only time that this has happened to me, but is the most recent. They really need to do something about this! I took the truck to the dealer and was told that they cannot duplicate customers concern. This is a $43,000 truck and think that I should get what I have paid for not a little piece of crap.

- Miami, FL, USA