2013 Ford F-150 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 112016

Driving on a city street the truck started shaking and loss all acceleration, it showed a wrench on the dash screen, coasted to a safe place and turned truck off. It restarted fine. Approx 30 mins later on the highway it did the same thing, started shaking, no acceleration and the wrench showed up. Again coasted to a safe spot and restarted. Took it to the dealer the next day and they say nothing is wrong, but that it could be the etb but with out a code showing they cant do anything.

- Washington, MO, USA

Mar 112016

Upon entering freeway merging traffic I had a hard truck stumbled would not go any faster then 30 mph by then the semi was on my rear causing a serious problem had to pull off to the shoulder.waited a few minutes and the problem seam to go away. This has occurred numerous times.

- Woodway, TX, USA

Jul 182016

While driving my 2013 Ford platinum F-150 at approximately 35 mph going straight on a town road heading to the highway, the wrench service light came and and instantly putting the truck into "limp" mode only allowing me to drive 5 mph. I am lucky not to be in highway traffic. I did have my family with me heading on a 5 hour journey. Completely unsafe! after a few restarts the same wrench light came on as well as the check engine light. And again the vehicle went into limp mode allowing me to drive 5mph. The grieco MA Ford dealer said it was a failed throttle body, vehicle only has 55K miles on it and has been serviced regularly at the aforementioned Ford dealer! I hope this safety issue gets recalled so no one will ever have to go through the situation like I did ever again!

- Berkley, MA, USA

Jun 242016

Throttle was completely lost. Truck would only run around 5 mph maximum. Would not take throttle at all. This is a very dangerous condition when in a high traffic and multi lane setting where all the other vehicles are running at high speeds. It is also very dangerous when pulling a 7000 lb trailer with no or extremely limited pull offs for emergencies such as this. It creates a very real possibility of death. This occurred on a local road in fitzgerald, ga traveling straight with light traffic conditions fortunately. I drove the truck in to fitzgerald Ford from about 3 to 4 miles away at the above mentioned speed. The dealership diagnosed the problem as a faulty throttle body, and it was replaced at a cost to me of $248.12. My wife's car also had this problem with the exact same part. It was replaced by the same dealership and paid for by us. My wife charlene hatcher subsequently received correspondence from Ford that indicated the throttle body warranty had been extended, and that cost that we previously paid was refunded to us. Her car which we still own is a 2010 Ford Fusion sel. The VIN is 3fahpoja4ar319866. The incident with my truck occurred yesterday, June 24, 2016. The diagnosis, repair and payment for the repair also took place yesterday. Is there any difference between the extension of the car throttle body warranty and the truck?

- Fitzgerald, GA, USA

Jun 102016

Lose power on acceleration while passing on the highway sudden lost of power and engine fail shacking type of feel not noise or warning before events

- Roswell, NM, USA

Jun 112016

Throttle body failed on my pickup while driving. Went into limp mode and engine wouldn't rev up. Had to shut off and restart multiple times in order to make it to the shop. Scanned it and had code P2112 throttle body stuck closed. Replaced throttle body and seems to be ok now. Glad I was just putting along when it happened or it could have been a disaster.

- Ravenna, NE, USA

May 262016

Vehicle runs great most of the time, but when driving at highway speeds for a couple of hours in the rain, snow, humid or misting conditions, the truck will sometimes loose power and start shaking/stuttering when accelerating to pass another vehicle, or when climbing a hill. Most of time, it is a very slight shudder but when under heavy throttle, the engine will start cutting out, loose power and speed, and the check engine light will start flashing. When this happens, I will have to pull over to the slower lane of traffic, or onto the shoulder. After about 30 seconds the check engine light will either go out, or come on solid. It is very frightening when this happens but it has happened enough times that I almost expect it when the conditions are right for it to occur. I have taken it into various Ford dealerships as I am usually out of town on vacation when it happens. They have applied all the tsb's recommended by Ford motor, but obviosity they can¿T recreate the issue on demand and apparently can¿T correct it. This is a very dangerous issue and I would support a total recall of all ecoboost vehicles until corrected.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Apr 252016

While driving, including but not always while driving on the interstate during heavy fast traffic, and including but not always while pulling a trailer, the orange wrench light comes on, the truck abruptly enters "limp" mode requiring rapid pulling off the highway in order to stop and restart the engine, and then a dangerous pulling back on the highway from the breakdown lane in heavy traffic. This has been diagnosed as needing a throttle body replacement #bl3Z-9E926-B, but I am told by a Ford dealer that there are about 3300 others waiting for this part and that they are so backlogged that no delivery date is yet in their system. Rapid, unexpected, and repeated loss of power while driving is very dangerous.

- Pelham, MA, USA

Apr 042016

After towing truck to dealer after a crank no start, the dealer diagnosed the problem as melted fuse F27 which powers the fuel pump. Surprisingly this fuse has melted often enough that Ford has a specifically designed rework kit P/N el3Z-14293-a which relocates the fuse to a different spot in the fuse box where a physically larger but identical amperage fuse is used. After doing some research, some of the other affected vehicles with the melted F27 experienced stalling while they were driving. Others have had to replace the entire fuse box due to melting. It seems this issue has happened often enough that there is an official tsb from Ford (tsb-15-0137) as well as the above mentioned rework kit, which my dealer had in stock. Based on the work performed (moving the fuse to a different spot in the fuse box and replacing it with a physically larger fuse of the same amperage), it seems that this issue is a design problem. This seems like a potentially dangerous defect that Ford is making customers pay to fix.

- Lindale, TX, USA

Mar 172016

Under hard acceleration. The vehicle's speed was stuck at about 50 miles per hour. I could to stop the vehicle with my brakes, I was able to put it the gear in the N-position pump the gas petal and the engine RPM went back to normal. Then I but the gear back to the D-position and was able to continue

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Mar 122016

I was driving down a very dangerous highway pass going approximately 65 mph when my engine stalled as random alarms started appearing on my dashboard, then my steering locked from the engine being off. I tried the best I could to get on the shoulder as I had no steering ability and I stepped on the brakes fairly hard. I was lucky because this was the only place in miles with a shoulder. Anywhere else on this road and I could have been seriously injured or died. While on the side of the road I smelled a tiny bit of burning plastic with no problem in sight. I googled what happened on a special forum website for Ford raptor owners and others had the same thing happen with fuse 27. Which is for the fuel pump. So I checked the number 27 fuse and sure enough it had melted, I actually had to take it out of the fuse box in melted pieces with pliers. The fuse melted while driving so the fuel pump shut off causing my engine to stall and steering to lock. Many many others have had his happen and Ford recognizes it as a service bulletin. However this needs to be more then a service bulletin when someone's life could be taken driving the freeway or dangerous road. We were lucky there was no collision, injuries, or fire, however it could have very well caused an electrical fire and if someone was on a crowded freeway in rush hour a collision is almost certain.

- Woodway, WA, USA

Jan 262016

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact shifted into neutral and restarted the vehicle; however, the failure recurred a few miles later. The following day, the vehicle failed to start. The contact had the vehicle towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel relay failed and needed to be repaired and relocated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Dec 212015

My truck has over 115,000 miles on it now I drive 50,000+ miles a year. I bought the vehicle new 1st occurrence was at appx 50,000 miles I was attempting to pass on interstate the engine stalled started run rough and lost power this corrected it self after I let off the throttle in a few seconds. It did this one more time a few days later. Talked to local dealer asked about fuel filter, they said there was no filter. They recommended running fuel injector cleaner. I did this and continued to do this but engine idled rough at stop signs even in park. It finally did the same thing a third time and then again from a stop sign. I had spark plugs replaced this was at 95,000 miles this helped I did not have the stumble problem again but still idles rough. Finally 2 days ago it was going down road and wrench light came on and vehicle went into limp mode pulled over shut off and restart engine it went into normal mode no problem. I have cleaned the map sensors all three but no help. I did note map sensors are wet. I rear in one of your many complaints about this problem that it may be condensation from inter-cooler this sounds plausible. When it goes into limp it does not throw a code so no way to know what is wrong. I have spoke to my dealer no help. I have not called Ford yet. I have rear multiple (100S) of similar complaints a lot of them on your site. Will it take someone dying for you to force Ford to fix this. The truck cost over 50,000 I am still paying for it and it is unsafe. I had a Nissan with over 300,000 miles and no problems do we need to buy foreign made vehicles to get a good product" will american companies not stand behind their products" I as a tax payer bailed out Ford and GM can I not expect a quality made product in return! I guess after someone dies in a crash caused by the F150 stalling on the highway the NHTSA will finally step in an force a recall!!!

- West Frankfort, IL, USA

Nov 072015

This is an update to my complaint filed preciously. After the second episode of loss of power and the check engine light coming on. I took my ecoboost powered truck to a Ford dealer and they performed tsb 14-0017. This was supposed to fix the engine loosing power. This is why the NHTSA closed the investigation of the F150 ecoboost. This has not worked. Yesterday 11-7-2015 I was on a 2 hour highway trip in rainy conditions. While driving the motor again lost power and could not even maintain highway speeds. This was dangerous to my family and everyone around us. The tsb from Ford has not fixed the dangers of these trucks. Please re-open the investigation into this dangerous vehicle before someone is killed or injured. American roads deserve safe cars.

- Sugarland, TX, USA

Nov 052015

I purchased my 2013 Ford F 150 V8, 6.2L raptor about 6 months ago for the main purpose of hunting very remote areas here in Maine. About 1 month ago, I utilized the remote start to start the truck and drove to work. At noon that day, I went to start my truck, it would turn over but not fire. Called aaa, they checked the battery which was fine and then placed key into door to unlock and engine fired up. Then about a week ago, during hunting season, I drove the truck into a gas station, filled the tank, I went to start the truck to leave and the same issue occurred. I ended up taking the cable off of the battery, then reattached and the engine fired up. I brought the truck to Ford, they stated that they diagnosed as as known problem. The fuse to the fuel pump will need to be diverted. I told Ford that I was heading North to hunt the next day, they recommended strongly that I get the issue fixed asap, said they could get part and have the issue remedied the next day. I set up the appointment. Ford just called and said the part was on backorder, they can't get it until Nov 30. Hunting season ends Nov 27th.

- Old Orchard Beach, ME, USA

Oct 242015

2013 Ford F-150 with the 5.0 V8 engine that has 51,000 miles. On numerous occasions the truck will crank as normal but will not start, as well as lose power while driving. Ford road side had the truck towed to summerville Ford. Ford service department advised that a fuse form the factory was too small and was overheating causing the truck not to start. The service department told me this is a known/common issue, and the fix was for them to install a fuse relocation kit by splicing into the wiring in the fuse box as well as install a larger fuse. Of course this seems like an engineering/fuse location issue and not a worn out part issue.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Dec 222014

When driving on freeway, check engine light came on and there was a loss of power. I pulled off the freeway and the engine stalled. There was a total loss of power and the vehicle would barely move forward when the gas pedal was depressed. The vehicle was towed to a Ford dealership where they reprogrammed the turbo-charger. It was raining at the time of this incident. On 9/14/15 the vehicle again had a catastrophic engine failure. It was not raining at the time of this incident. The vehicle shook violently and had a total loss of power. The wrench symbol and the check engine light came on. The vehicle would barely move forward when the gas pedal was depressed. The vehicle was towed to a Ford dealership where they replaced the "throttle body". Ford made both repairs under warranty, but they refused to reimburse us for our towing, hotel and rental car expenses incurred as a result of our vehicle breaking down.

- Meadow Vista, CA, USA

Jul 182015

Vehicle experiences sudden & rapid power loss, deceleration and vehicle shuttering at highway speeds. Occurs quickly and without any warning, presenting major safety issue as it has almost caused several vehicle crashes. At highway speeds this can result in severe vehicle damage and potential injuries. Dealer attributes issue to be with the throttle body and has been a problem on a number of Ford vehicles over the last 2 years. I have verified this by internet query. I have not seen or received any notification or recalls from Ford on this or any other problems with my truck model. The vehicle in question is a 2013 Ford F150 with the eco-boost engine.

- Parker, CO, USA

May 162015

We had just taken the exit ramp onto the interstate. As we started to accelerate to highway speed, we suddenly lost all acceleration. We drifted over to the side of the interstate where we sat until a tow truck arrived to bring our vehicle to the dealership. Weather conditions were humid, slight drizzle, and a temperature approximately 75^. we have never experienced this problem before, and had no issues today until we started to accelerate.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Aug 212014

This occurred on a rainy hot day southbound towards cape cod. I was driving my second 2013 Ford F150, both of which have the ecoboost engine. I attempted to pass on a two lane road, and upon acceleration the engine began to shutter, engine light came on, engine lost most of its power, and vehicle slowed dramatically. After approximately 20 to 30 seconds the engine began to return to a normal operating mode. Had there been oncoming traffic, I would not be writing this. As I said, this is my second ecoboost, and I thought that Ford would have fixed what is clearly a potentially fatal flaw with this engine. I had the same issue occur twice before in my prior ecoboost F150. I brought the truck to a dealer today for another minor issue and asked that the ecoboost issue be addressed, but that request was rejected by the dealer, whom sighted Ford policy. Clearly there is a pattern of failure on these engines, and just as clear it appears there is an effective and economical fix, based on my personal research of available information on line. It is unexplainable why Ford would not get in front of this issue before there is a fatal accident.

- Andover, MA, USA