2006 Ford F-250 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford F-250:

2006 Ford F-250 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 302009

F-250 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

See attached description with this report using tcn: Ccn26-19640 description write-up.....updated 04/19/12 the consumer stated the defect involved severe front suspension and steering wheel oscillation that can result in loss of control and lane change at highway speeds. The consumer stated the vehicle performs perfect when not transportation a load at any speed on any road condition. However, when traveling downgrades of 6% or more with the 5th wheel trailer at speeds above 50 mph, a light touch of the brakes to slow the combination vehicle down initiates the oscillation which will not stop the until the vehicle speed falls below 50 mph. Updated 05/02/12

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Mar 192012

F-250

The truck now three times in less than 5 months has shook so bad that we couldn't hold onto the steering wheel, when just riding over a bridge seam. The truck shook so bad that the car in the next lane ran off the road and we ended up in the median. We have purchased new tires and we check our pressure daily. Which has nothing to do with this issue. Someone is going to be killed with this hyper shaking. I know if there isn't something done there are going to be accidents. We live in the northeast where we have snow and ice with the roads in that condition we would have never been able to control the truck if we would have been on ice and snow. Lucky it was not snowing and it was dry pavement. I know if something isn't done about this and all the other complaints that have been filed Ford is going to be sorry when someone is killed. The problem is so bad you have no control over the steering and have no place to go when this happens. We almost sideswiped the car next to us thank goodness they were paying attention when it happened. They stopped and asked if we were ok. They said they never saw anything like that before. We have owned at least 6 F-150 trucks and 4 Ford Explorer so you could say we are Ford people. But I am not so sure we will stay a Ford family since they don't seem to want to do anything to remedy this issue and it is happening in the new ones also. We have a friend that has a 2011 and it does the same thing. I know you have dismissed complaints before but someone is going to be killed. Then maybe something will be done by you or Ford when that happens it is a shame that it takes a death to make someone do something.

- Linden, PA, USA

Mar 052012

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

Was driving on the freeway and hit a small bump. Front end started shaking severly. Truck was forced to changed lanes and thank goodness no one was beside me. Everything in the truck was shaking. Once I pulled over ot the side of the road, I could smell a burnt smell.

- Burleson, TX, USA

Nov 122011

F-250

The "death wobble" occurred in my vehicle while traveling alone with no trailer and the bed was empty. This has occurred several times, the first while traveling northbound on the 5fwy in southern California. At the time the shaking was so violent that I thought that I had blown a tire and pulled over. I had just purchased the vehicle. The same issue is already under investigation: PE07057.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Dec 182007

F-250

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-250. The contact was driving 60 mph over a road bump when the vehicle began to shake violently. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test but the dealer was unable to defect the causes of the failure. The manufacturer suggested adding front dampers to the vehicle but the vehicle was already equipped with stock dampers that did not need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was concerned with the possibility of losing control of the vehicle when the failure occurred. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Napa, CA, USA

Nov 022011

F-250 8-cyl

After "shutter" incident (this has occurred since purchased new) vehicle steering would no turn to the left. After repeated attempts a full right turn then fast forced left turn a pop/ crack occurred which then allowed restricted left turn. Steering locked several more times while trying to safely exit the highway.

- Middletown , NY, USA

Oct 062011

F-250

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-250. The contact stated that when driving over any road bump or uneven road surface, the front end of the vehicle would shake violently. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic where it was determined that the upper and lower ball joints on the front passenger and driver side of the vehicle needed to be replaced. The contact spoke with the dealer and the dealer advised that the failure was caused by the tires and recommended checking the tire pressure. The failure mileage was 53,500 and the current mileage was 54,000.

- Elkdale, CA, USA

Sep 212011

F-250 8-cyl

I am having severe vibration and steering issues the this model. I can not drive it without hurting my back. The truck needs a complete suspension overhaul. Should be taking off the road. Very dangerous!

- Mill Valley, CA, USA

Dec 082011

F-250 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

Shimming violently, hard to get the vibration to stop. The whole steering column and steering wheel was shaking back and forth. The front tires must have been shaking also, since the auto along side of me pulled way back away from my right side. I drove over a dip and a bump in the roadway and then it happened. The tires are at the right air pressure. I am the original owner and the primary driver of this vehicle. Also the truck is a diesel 4X4.

- Venice, FL, USA

May 112011

F-250 10-cyl

Violent shaking/ vibrations @ highway speeds. I pulled over to complete stop, waited, started up and vibration stopped. This has happened on 3 occasions since.

- Indian Rocks Beach, FL, USA

Jul 182011

F-250

While driving my Ford F-250 on the highway, I hit a minor bump in the road. The truck immediately started shaking out of control. I literally had to stop in the middle of the highway before the shaking would stop. This is the 11th time that this has happened to me. It happens at a speed over 50 mph. Luckily I have never wrecked the truck. I have been able to maintain some sort of control. I have read Ford's request to maintain adequate tire pressure. I read that after the first time it happened. It has happened an additional ten times. When is enough enough" does someone have to die before Ford realizes that there is a problem"

- Lenexa, KS, USA

May 012007

F-250

Ford 2006 F250 sd diesel, has had violent shaking of the steering, happens atleast twice per trip, started around 15000 miles on truck, have 44000 miles now, seems to be getting worse, this started little over a year after I purchased it brand new til current, 9/18/10, was told by the dealer that it was a tire pressure issue, it is not that, it did nothing for the problem, this vehicle is truly unsafe to carry me and my family in. Very scary.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Sep 022010

F-250

Ford 2006 F250 death wobble. I was driving my truck today and I hit a little pot hole in the road and nearly lost control of my truck. The truck was shaking so bad I thought for sure the front wheels were off and we were dead. Scariest thing ever. Ford needs to recall this issue before it kills someone if it hasn't already. This is very serious we pay good money for these vehicles and should not have to pay out of pocket for the fix. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this hope Ford dose the right thing and recalls this issue.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 152009

F-250

Extreme shaking and near loss of control after crossing over a minimal bump at speeds above 55 mph. Happened 9 times within the last two years. Only way to end shaking was to leave the roadway and slam on the brake.

- Nashotah, WI, USA

May 012009

F-250

My 2006 Ford F250 4WD superduty pickup shakes violently whenever I hit the smallest pothole or drive over railroad tracks. It is a danger to myself, my children and anyone driving around me on the road. Took the truck to my dealer and almost got thrown out after getting into an argument with both the mechanic and svc manager who said there was nothing wrong with the truck, they never heard of this problem and I need to buy new tires. Tires are brand new with less than 20K on them.

- Paramus, NJ, USA

Apr 211997

F-250

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-250. While driving 45 mph, the front end of the vehicle jumped up and down. It felt as if the front tire was detaching from the vehicle. The contact pulled over and the wobbling did not cease until the vehicle came to a complete stop. The dealer could not find any failures with the vehicle. The failure was labeled as the death wobble and has occurred on five occasions. The vehicle was repaired at the contact's expense. Heavier shocks and a steering stabilizer were installed on the vehicle. The contact received a letter in the mail from Ford regarding these ongoing failures. The failure mileage was 6,000 and current mileage was 69,000.

- Spring Creek, NV, USA

Oct 242006

F-250

3-13-09 I took my Ford F-250 to the dealership I purchased it from due to a severe steering wheel and front wheel vibrations. This is causing severe shimmy and loss of control of the vehicle at approx 35-39 mph. They checked it out and told me that I needed to make sure my tire pressure is at 65 lbs at all times. They said they didn't find anything wrong other than the tire pressure was low and it took care of 85% of the shimmy. The shimmy has worsened sense I left the dealership and is now shimming violently at this time. I've sense received a letter about this problem from Ford Motor Company and they are researching this common problem with the F-250 & F-350 models.

- Yuba City, CA, USA

Apr 272009

F-250

2006 F250 crew 4X4 XL - around 50 mph the front end shakes me off of the road - either have to accelerate through 50 or hit the brakes - front end is tight and rims and tires good.

- Fentress, TX, USA

May 132008

F-250

Vehicle begins violently shaking when a bump is hit in the road, vehicle is temporarily uncontrollable until speed is reduced. Ford has told me I need to purchased a 400 dollar dampener, however this never happen for the first few years of vehicle ownership so I am confused as to why I suddenly need to purchase new equipment to make the vehicle operate in a safe manner.

- Hoover, AL, USA

May 152008

F-250

Violent shaking in front suspension and wheels after hitting rough pavement at approx 65 mph. Truck always has excessive wheel hop but extreme shaking has occurred 5 times in 66K miles. Ford technical bulletin useless for resolving problem. Dealer suggested check tire inflation, tow settings, and steering components. No results. This is a death trap. It shook two drinks out of the cupholder. Lost steering ability, crossed lanes and stopped shaking only after coming to a complete stop.

- Cary, NC, USA