Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Ford Focus 2.0L SOHC engine has a defect where the intake valve seat fails. The valve then falls into the cylinder, destroying the engine & most owner relationships with Ford in the process.

2002 Ford Focus body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Focus:

2002 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Aug 082005

Focus ZX5

I noticed the paint bubbling up all around the chrome trim piece on the hatch. I checked my warranty book and I interpret it as saying corrosion caused by rock chips and the environment are not covered. Fair enough. This was caused by the trim piece cutting through the paint down to the bare metal so I figured it should be covered. I take it to Simmons Ford in Vicksburg, MI and the paint manager takes pictures of the rust. The regional customer service person was supposed to be there the next day and she said she would show him the pictures and get back to me. I wait 3 days then call her back only to hear that its not covered. The warranty is only good for 3 years or 36,000 miles or 5 years if the rust makes a hole in the hatch. There is no rust anywhere else on the car and it has been garaged since we had it. I'll try a few more options but if this is not resolved with no out of pocket money from me then this will be the last domestic car I buy. I had similar problems with customer service and the warranty on a 2000 Dodge Caravan. I sued using the Lemon Law. I can't say for certain that a foreign car warranty is any better but I know that a domestic warranty is garbage. I paid $1300.00 for the extended warranty and its simply wasted money.

- , Scotts, MI, USA