2005 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Focus:

2005 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 282010

Focus

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal would become stuck when the weather was cold. The dealer was notified, but they denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 86,000 and the current mileage was 123,000.

- Westland, MI, USA

Aug 252011

Focus 4-cyl

While driving on the interstate, I was unable to stop my car from accelerating as the gas pedal stop working. To keep from hitting anyone, I had to pull off to the side median, brake as hard as could, throw my car into park and turn it off. If I tried to turn it back on, you could still hear the engine revving from the accelerator still being stuck in accelerator mode. Ford is not willing to cover cost of repair - only offering a 12,000 mile or 12-mos service parts warranty.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Sep 112005

Focus

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle would intermittently surge when accelerating or decelerating. No warnings would occur prior to the failures and the failures had been occurring since the purchase of the vehicle. During the failures, the vehicle would idle high and run rough. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on several occassions, where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The failure mileage was 50 and the current mileage was 53,000. Updated 9/16/11 updated 2/22/12

- Forest City, AR, USA

Mar 242011

Focus

I was just about parked when the car accelerated on it's own. Over the curb, through a wood fence and into a camping trailer on the other side of the fence. Toyota is not the only company with this problem. Car was towed away and I'm not sure if it is repairable or if the insurance company will total it.

- Boise, ID, USA

Mar 112011

Focus

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle suddenly surged forward. The failure occurred once before the most current failure. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired nor was the manufacturer notified of the failure. The current and failure mileage was 5,000.

- Studio City, CA, USA

Sep 072010

Focus

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. While at a traffic light she engaged the accelerator pedal and the vehicle failed to move, the accelerator pedal was stuck. She placed the vehicle in park and waited 5 to 8 minutes and the vehicle started normally. The failure had been intermittent for three months. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or a local mechanic for the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000. The approximate current mileage was 75,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 212010

Focus

I noticed the gas pedal of my car (Ford Focus 2005) was hard to press when the weather is freezing cold. At times, I forced it through. A couple of times, we lubricate the cable and it worked fine. Yesterday, I speeded up to pass the car which was too slow in front of me. Then, my car accelerated itself and I could hardly stop. I almost wrecked into a car in front of me at a stop light. I managed to stop the car but the break was battling with the engine. When I let go of the break, the car accelerated itself. So, I had to use my break a lot to reach a local mechanics. He lubricated the cable and told me that the cable would need to be replaced. I went to Ford dealership today and they told me the same that the cable had to been replaced. It would cost me around $300 including labor. Later, the mechanic at Ford showed me the cable. Part of the cable was concealed inside a plastic tube and this part was all messed up and keep breaking off. Because of the increase in the diameter of the cable after I pressed on the gas pedal, the cable would not go back once it was out. Therefore, my car kept accelerating yesterday. I agreed with Ford to fix it at my cost but I am anxious about the car quality as well other people's safety. I could have a terrible accident if I was not calm enough.

- Mayodan, NC, USA

Dec 012007

Focus

Deceleration pedal. My Ford Focus 05 gas pedal just jammed when on the highway after I softy brake, so the speed of the car gradually slow down until I press really hard so it become normal again. It happens every year in the winter. In the summer, it runs smoothly as normal.

- Forest Park, GA, USA

Mar 062010

Focus

2005 Ford Focus accelerator pedal stuck while driving. Delearship, bill brown Ford of livonia mi, determined the cause was throttle body binding, so replaced the throttle body.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jun 042009

Focus

Uncontrolled acceleration after car was parked.

- Lynn, MA, USA

Nov 062006

Focus

When attempting to change lanes on parkway accelerator" fell" to floor and stuck there speeding up car until ignition key was removed to shut off engine.

- Jackson Hts, N.Y., NY, USA

May 012005

Focus

2005 Ford Focus begin to speed up quickly when coming to a stop.** answer required***. there seem to no pattern when this would happen. The dealer said the brakes were fine. It has happened perhaps a half-dozen times and the only recourse is to quickly shift into neutral and press down on the accelerator. The engine then will slow down.

- Collegeville, PA, USA