2005 Ford Focus seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Focus:

2005 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 042016

Alone in my car, driving on a 4 lane city street, I had slowed, almost at a full stop, to wait for the car in front of me to turn into the parking lot on our right. Meantime, car behind me hit the back of my car. She was ticketed. Said had looked away for a moment. Said she was doing 35mph. My airbag did not deploy. I can provide police and hospital records.

- Kingman, AZ, USA

Feb 232016

My air bag light stays on all the time and I am scared it wont deploy if something happens, plus in the manual it says that if the light stays on that there is a defect. Plus I went on here and found 6 other complaints about air bags.

- Franklinville, NC, USA

Jan 252016

My sister owns a Ford Focus 2005, she had a minor accident during a trip to work. The car slide down a hill at less then 25 mph in wed road. The car stop by crashin in to a rock in the side of the road saving her life from a clift. Recently we upgrade the suspension, tires and breaks to prevent it to happen. We took the car for a round trip in it we have a second accident. This time I was driving the car in a littel hill at 45 mph in a zone of 50 mph, at a half of km I change the gear because the road was wet to slow down the car but suddenly it start sliding over the wed road. Considering the time and, the maneuvers to take control of the car I start pumping the breaks and tried to pull the car out of the road but ot didnt change its direcction. At less then 8 meters the car got a littel of traction but it was to late to evade this accident. During the colition the air bags didnt deploy leaving my body hit the wheel. It was a miracle we are alive and I dont whant to imagine driving this car during a snow road.

- Isabela, PR, USA

May 152013

Focus 4-cyl

Airbag light come on and off 90% of the time when driving car purchased car January 2013 used 33.000 miles 4 mnths later (May 2013)driving home from work the air bag light went on and now stay on for weeks on end and then goes off.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

Oct 082014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. While making a left turn, the front driver side air bag deployed without warning. The driver lost control of the vehicle and struck a curb. The driver did not sustain any injuries. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. In addition, the vehicle was involved in a crash in March of 2007. The front driver side air bag failed to deploy. The failure mileage was 97,000. Updated 2/10/15

- Hampton, VA, USA

Oct 312014

On the date of my accident, I was headed for work, I was traveling about 65 M.P.H when the car in front of me slammed on her brakes. I couldn't avoid the situation, I ran into the back of her.. my airbags did not deploy.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Oct 202014

The passenger air bag off light illuminates when an adult sits in passenger seat and secures seat belt.

- Erwin, NC, USA

Aug 182010

Focus 4-cyl

I was involved in accident where I rear-ended an xterra SUV. I was traveling below the allowed speed limit of 35mph, due to water on the road from a previous rainfall. The front of my car went underneath the xterra. My airbag never deployed. Since that time and repair to my vehicle, I have taken the car to the rusty eck Ford dealership where they stated they reset my airbag light. The airbag light has come on again for no apparent reason and has not turned itself off. I am very concerned that if I should be in a very serious accident, my airbag will not deploy. Also, I believe their may be a defect in the airbag system.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Oct 272014

Focus 4-cyl

The clock spring and other circuitry was repaired and replaced at 50000 miles by mantilla Ford of West haven, ct at 50,000 miles. This is a safety issue of major importance. The repair was done under warranty because the airbag light was on. I communicated with Ford Motor Co. At their headquarters by email last week and they did not respond so I called them this morning the so called repair that was done was not effective. The airbag light is on again. This vehicle has never broken down, has never been in an accident and never been towed. Told Ford that I should not have to pay for what I perceive as a manufacturing defect which could kill me. The have refused to consider covering the repair which branford Ford of branford, ct estimates to be $502 I intend communicate with the legal dept at Ford headquarters for.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Oct 262014

Focus 4-cyl

The air bag light has been on for several months. Ford says it's not part of the takata recall but I want to be sure. I don't want to die from it exploding and I want it checked to be sure. I bought the car used so I have no idea if it may have been replaced before. I don't trust the dealership here.

- Billings, MT, USA

Sep 252014

Focus 4-cyl

Daughter was hit on front driver side by somebody running a red light and pushing her car into a metal pole and embankment that bent the passenger front wheel and caused fluid to gush from underneath the car plus, not to mention that she is 6 months pregnant and airbags didn't deploy.

- Oakdale, CA, USA

Sep 022013

Focus 4-cyl

Airbag light keeps coming on and going off when it feels like it. I have heard several other Ford Focus owners (different years) have had the same thing happen to them. Ford said they are not aware of a problem. Haven't had it fixed. Keep watching for any recalls but haven't had any yet.

- New Bloomfield, PA, USA

Jun 122012

Beginning last year, there have been multiple occasions when I was decelerating and the entire front end of the car would begin to vibrate and the steering would become difficult to handle. Took the car to an independent repair shop, they could not duplicate the problem, asked me to make note of road conditions, etc. Tires replaced sometime in the past year. Alignment performed within past two months. Tires are wearing in diagonal pairs oddly. Blew fuse which operated the automatic safety locks, cruise control and the locking control on taking the car out of park. Called Ford dealership, was told to pop small piece of plastic off the shifter deck and stick a screw driver in to be able to shift out of park. Was also told this could be a big problem and to bring it in. After charging me $130 to "diagnose" the problem, they then charged me $10 to replace the fuse, could find no reason for it to have blown. Then told me my transmission fluid needed to be replaced. Too many dollars later, I left the dealership. Two weeks later, fuse blew again. Took to independent garage, $ 0.95 for the fuse and $30 to try and figure out why it was blowing out, unsuccessfully. The shimmy in the front end was getting worse and I was debating dealership or independent, decision was removed from my hands when the front of the car began swerving toward traffic in rush hour at 45mph on Monday night 6/24/13. Suddenly, there was a loud noise and I managed to wrench the steering wheel to the right and hit a curb instead of oncoming traffic. Friend behind me witnessed incident and said the car looked like it jumped sideways. Both right tires off rims, shredded, unknown further damage at this point as the shop hasn't had a chance to make an assessment. My insurance company is already considering totaling the car out. It has 128000 miles or so. I feel like I have sideways whiplash. No airbag depl.

- Madison, WI, USA

May 042009

I own a 2005 Focus ZX4 whom has been serviced several times for engine mounts, alternator, headlights/tail lights, stereo, and now passenger front seat airbag sensor. I was told back in 2009 that the passenger front seat airbag sensor was not covered by the extended warranty but the stereo was!!! so everytime I have an adult in the passenger front seat the airbag sensor in the seat malfunctions; a safety feature to keep your family safe is not covered and now I see another car manufacturer recalling the same thing but Ford is not willing to fix. I called Ford headquarters and no help or care to do so... this will be my last Ford I purchase after years of growing up with Ford. You would think they would care about their consumers.

- Orange City, FL, USA

Jul 202012

Focus 4-cyl

My daughter has a 2005 Ford Focus and she was driving a little over 10mph and hit a small pothole and her air bags deployed destroying the windshield and dash, when the airbags deployed her brakes locked up also. Found out yesterday that she might have to have surgery on her neck and has to be in a neck brace for ast least 2 weeks and has a concussion and has to miss work. Her car is at the Ford dealership in town and they said they were going to retrieve the data and verify how fast she was going and they called me this morning and they are saying that the data is unretrievable and that the car has a bent subframe, broken rear end, damage to the transfer case and numerous other issues and that the damage is around $5500 so they said it would probably be considered totaled but had to talk to her insurance first. They are trying to say that she was going faster than she says and that she hit something hard and fast, and she wasn't. going under 20mph should not have caused that much damage. She bought the car used ust a few months ago and she has brought it back to the dealership multiple times for multiple reasons and the car always had a vibrating sound from underneath it and after she hit the pothole it just got louder. They never inspected that car before they sold it to her either.

- Astoria, OR, USA

Feb 262011

Focus 4-cyl

On 2/26/2011 at approximatly 1900 hrs. I was at nellis air force base in las vegas Nevada I had to pull over in a safe area to look for my id as I got out of the car with the car in park and emergency brake on I proceeded to lift the handle in front of the seat that allowes it to be moved forward so I can look under the seat for my id, I couldn't see it so I proceeded to do the same with the passanger seat and it wasen't there so again I was on the drivers side and again pulling up the handle and my right side of my face and ear was within an inch of the side air bag when it explodedand nocked me up against the drivers door frame and the airbag powder was all over me and for 30 seconds I couldn't see or hear. My face was on fire with acid burns all over my face and my right ear. I was seen at the er and was treated which included a cat scan of my hear to see if there was any internal trama and that was negative however I had developed tmj because of the impact to my jaw and migrain headaches which have not subsided to this day. All reports and pictures id taken were sent through E-mail to Ford claims dept. I was sent the paper work to fill out and send it back to them, in March 2011 I have to got to a dealer to have the chip red and it cost to have that done was $103.48. It states that the dtc B1231 restraint system was sufficient impact to warrent a deployment yet indicates that no collision occured. So then now the modual needs to be taken out by the dealer which I went to Ford and they refused to help, so that evening went to another Ford and they helped it took them January 2012 to coordinate with Ford to take out the modgual, I just found out a week ago June 14th. That bosh is just now taking a look at that product that was sent to them in January $2012.16 months later nothing else has been done and I don't know what else I can do. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6)

- N. Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 252009

Vehicle hit another car at aprox. 45 mph when other car made illegal turn. Airbag failed to deploy.

- Milwaukie, OR, USA

Oct 072010

Focus 4-cyl

2005 Ford Focus zxw wagon. Consumer states a problem with the air bag indicator light. Dealer repaired but the indicator light is back on. He believes that the air bag might not be engaged. According to the invoice, there may be a problem with the clock spring assembly.

- Sauk City, WI, USA

Nov 292010

Focus 4-cyl

Air bag failed to deploy on my wife's car 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 in a head on collision 25-30 mph each vehicle. I contacted Ford and they aren't interested in investigate the situation.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Jan 012009

The airbag indicator light on the dash comes on at different times. Sometimes on for days then off for a day, then back on. The dealer tells me that this is a common problem and it may be the wires or connectors that run under the seats. He said"people feet can hit the wires, and moving of the seats can damage them. Sounds like a design problem to me. For a few $100 he can tell me.

- Tacoma, WA, USA