2010 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Focus:

2010 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 052016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. While starting the vehicle, the door ajar alarm would not turn off until the vehicle was started. Also, the door ajar warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Diamond, MO, USA

Aug 302016

Door ajar warning light will not turn off ever! even with all doors fully closed!

- Grand Haven, MI, USA

Aug 092014

We bought a factory certified car to eliminate problems like this.the problem we have is also intermittent and involves the right hand door lock's 95% of the time both front and rear. The not always at the same time.when locked they fail to open with either the remote of the inside switch.we have been to the dealer 4-5 times and it was only the last time he was able to see 1/2 of the problem.he did not have time to get it in that day and I didn't have time to leave.his answer is if it's not broken I cant fix it. I also asked the sales man if they have been having that problem or is the first he herd of it.they have heard of it before and he recommended wd-40 squirted down to clean the actuator.I did try that but it happens again over and over at the most inconvenient of times.this car was bought for my wife and I have a great concern god forbid something happen and the people on the right side can not get out of the car.I also have a Ford truck and there were a few recalls which you'll did the right thing and fixed it I like my Ford truck.looking in the internet I see this problem quite a bit on the Focus but why is this year or VIN not included if I to am having the same problem?please help me with this problem.I think it would help us both feel safer driving our new/used car.the problem is inconsistent and happens sitting still, driving at any and or all speeds.

- Mena, AR, USA

Jun 012016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate, the vehicle hesitated. On another occasion while attempting to accelerate, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the wrench and the check engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Apr 012016

Car fails to start when the key is inserted and turned to the proper ignition starting point. My mechanics says the car is not finding the safety chip inside the key and will not allow the car to start. I am having to replace the ignition and have my key re-programmed. This has been degrading over a period of months. Starting with a forcefulness of the key to make it start. The longer it has gone the worse it has gotten. Until it finally would not start at all. The repair will cost me $ $400 plus having it towed. It is a failure of the ignition switch to recognize the key's safety chip inside the key. It has caused me to sit and wait for the car to start, sometimes reaching 30 minutes. I take very good care of my cars and his should not be happening.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Jan 012016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. While parked, the front driver side door ajar warning light illuminated when the door was properly closed. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V246000(latches/locks/linkages). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown...updated 03/15/16

- Dover, PA, USA

Nov 182015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the front driver and passenger and rear doors failed to open when using the keyless entry system. The contact also stated that the key failed to work in the key-lock on the driver's door. The contact stated that after several attempts of depressing the unlock button on the keyless entry remote, the door was able to be opened. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Brexel, MO, USA

Oct 052015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. While parked, the vehicle was not able to start. The contact mentioned that it took multiple attempts to start the vehicle. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,840. Updated 12/01/15 updated 1/12/2016

- Sharon, PA, USA

Aug 142015

When key turned and removed from ignition, engine does not shut off.

- Media, PA, USA

Jul 182015

Car alarm goes off at various times and my trunk pops open as well without me pressing the button.

- Leesburg, GA, USA

Jun 012015

In order to start my daughter's used 2010 Focus the key needs to be turned to the idiot lights and wait until the needles move on the temp and fuel guages and the chime comes on then crank it and it usually starts first try but it can take 3 tries at this procedure. It can be scary. The 2010 manual on page 175 says turn it 3/4 (idiot lights) and wait then crank but the 2008 manual said that too on page 150 but it wasn't ever necessary. 3 Ford dealers say they never heard of the problem before.

- Marblehead, MA, USA

Apr 152015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The contact stated that all four door locks became inoperable. The contact mentioned that the mechanism for the driver side door was replaced, but now the three other doors failed to work. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the mechanism inside the doors needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Mannington, WV, USA

Apr 072015

When I turn the key to start the vehicle it often won't start - if I turn the steering wheel or sometimes shift it into a different gear (it's a standard), it may start. There is no distinct pattern of when it will and when it won't start. It has been getting worse lately and I'm worried I will get stranded. My wife will not drive the car now as she is concerned about getting stranded. Help.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Aug 132012

The doors, randomly, do not unlock. Every door has had this issue...randomly. The weather is not the issue, this has happened in all types of weather. I have researched this, via google, and I am not the first to report this. Why has there not been a recall fix" the passenger side back door has not unlocked for three weeks. Today the drivers side door will not unlock, causing me to have to climb over to exit through the passenger side door...not safe. I called the dealer, no surprise, they had heard of this issue. From what I have read, I expect to be charged, between $400 & $1200 to fix a manufactures very wrong! nor will I be paying for it! again, what good does it do to report this thousands of times, when this has been happening for at least 15 years, at a cost to the consumers"

- La Grande, OR, USA

Sep 062014

Focus 4-cyl

The dashboard display incorrectly states that the drivers door is open when it isn't. this causes the dashboard display to "lock" and I can no longer see the odometer or the mileage. Furthermore the interior lights continuously stay on even when traveling down the road (this results in a safety issue as the interior lights make it difficult to see the road at night). Also, the incorrect open door condition does not allow me to lock any of the doors (another safety defect), as soon as I lock the door they all automatically unlock! obviously Ford has overstated the incorrect open door condition which thereby causes undue safety issues that can not be corrected by the driver/operator. I understand the value of having a dashboard display monitor for a open door condition, however this should not further cause safety issues that prevent the immediate operation of the vehicle.

- Grand Haven, MI, USA

Jul 092014

Focus 4-cyl

My husband, my daughter and I went shopping. We did our errands and my daughter got into the back seat. I proceeded to open the back door on the driver's side, and the door would not open. We left the store and drove home. I parked the car and my daughter was not able to open her door. Both of the back doors would not open from either the inside or from the outside. She had to climb over the seat to get out of the car. My daughter is 44 and is a large woman. Climbing over the seat in order to get out of the car is not acceptable, but we could think of no other way for her to get out. I live on social security and cannot afford to just go get the doors fixed. Per the dealership, they think it's the actuator's in the door...but they're not sure. Even if it is, the diagnostics and repair are close to a thousand dollars. I don't have this kind of money. Per my online research, I have found others that also have the same problem. This is a "safety issue". people cannot afford to be locked in or out of their car. Being locked in can be much worse because of the problems it can cause. I think this is a problem that needs to be looked at closely and Ford needs to make the problem right. This is a serious "safety issue."

- Morrison, CO, USA

May 242014

Focus 4-cyl

On May 24, 2014- both rear doors would not open; June 3, 2014 - drivers side front door would not open; drivers side back door locked and the passenger side door unlocked on its own; June 10, 2014- drivers side back door & passenger side back door both unlocked on their own; June 23, 2014 - passenger side back door would not open.

- Ford City, PA, USA

Nov 292013

It had trouble starting. We thought to believe it was the battery, but knowing I changed the battery within the last year, skeptical. Now it won't start at all. My mechanic says it has to do with either the switch, cylinder or whole assembly.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Feb 012011

Focus 4-cyl

I bought this car in 2010. A few months later my children said they couldn't get out of the car even though I had opened my door. I tried to manualy unlock this door and was unable. I made an appointment to get it fixed but on arrival at Ford service it had started working again. When it happened again I made the same appointment this time they saw the problem for themselves. They could not diagnose the problem but knew it was a safety issue and therefore changed the door actuator, latch and worked for a while and then failed again along with two other doors. Ford service department was stumped. They then change all the door actuators, latches and linkage still not knowing what happened. Some more time passed and then an all door lock failure happed. Same thing all locks stuck in lock position unable to unlock with keypad, interior doors switch or manually. With there hand in the air unable to find out what was wrong they put all new updated actuators, latches and linkage in all doors.this worked for a much longer period of time and just recently jammed in lock position again. I brought it to my salesman and he wrote a report and we got another appointment to get it fixed again.the day before I brought it in it started working again and like they always tell me ' it has to me malfunctioning in front of us ". this has been an on going problem since I bought this car. I have had serious issues regarding people not being able to get out in a medical condition situation and my locks were my warranty is up in a few months and they have told me I will have to pay for parts and labor as soon as that happens again.I tried to get a warranty extension just on the locks and just until they figure out this ongoing safety issue but Ford Motor Company wouldn't here of it even mocking my safety concerns on the phone.Ford knows there is more to this problem!!

- Pendleton, OR, USA

Apr 152013

Focus 4-cyl

The driver door ajar alarm switch suddenly thinks that the driver's door is always open. This is a safety issue because 1) the car leaves the dome and map lights on for a few minutes until they fade out, even while driving, which is hazardous at night and 2) the car will not automatically lock the doors when the car starts moving, and if I lock them myself they instantly unlock since the car thinks that the driver's door is open. I went to the Ford dealer and they said that since I have over 36,000 miles they will not fix it under warranty. Instead, it will be $182 for the parts and about $150 for the labor since the 2010 Focus has had a lot of reports of this problem and Ford has redesigned the door latch mechanism so you now have to replace five parts (door latch, door ajar switch, several rods and plates) instead of just the door ajar switch. The Ford parts department manager said that I am not the first person to report this problem to them, but that Ford has not issued a recall or technical service bulletin for this problem so it is my responsibility to pay for a fix. This just does not seem right. Ford should recognize this as a safety issue and issue a recall for this item.

- Ledyard, CT, USA