2015 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Ford Focus:

2015 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 302015

Focus

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle was jerking and hesitating. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired however, two months later the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutches needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 16,342.

- Abita Springs, LA, USA

Apr 102016

Focus

My 2015 Ford Focus' transmission started to "shudder" with a jerking motion when accelerating at low RPM. Also I've experienced a loss of power/delayed acceleration when I press the gas pedal, especially when going up a hill, causing the car to not accelerate for about two seconds when I need it. There was a message "transmission overheating", then "press brake pedal" when I was idling in heavy traffic on the freeway. I had the car towed to serramonte Ford where I bought it, and bill the service person told me that "Ford Focus' are supposed to shudder, but that it probably had a bad double-clutch that needed to be replaced, and that there was a 12-week back order from the manufacturer, and that they would reprogram the computer and that should help the shudder problem as a temporary fix. I had an appointment that I waited four days for, then he told me the day of the appointment that it would be 3-7 days before he could look at it. When I called bill three times 3days in a row to see if it was fixed and him ignoring the messages, he called on the 5th day saying my car was ready. I went to pick it up and he said it still might have a little bit of a shudder and that it was normal and that it was safe to drive my car. He only listed that I complained of a shudder on the work order, never put down that any repair parts were ordered or on back order, and made it look like there was only an inspection along with an oil change. I drove my shuddering car home, perturbed at they're inadequacy. I received an E-survey from the dealership and I gave them the poor grade that was warranted. Within 30 minutes, service director henry called saying he'd have the clutch in only 8 weeks to appease me, but that I'd have to keep calling for updates. I don't feel safe driving it, fearful of it stalling when I need power critically. Faulty car that needs recall among many focuses.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Apr 072016

Focus

Purchased 1 month ago. At 1000 miles the car began to hesitate, lurch and jerk. One time trying to make a right on red, I pressed the gas to go and it went, then stopped, and then continued as if I hit the brake pedal. My right foot was on the gas pedal the whole time. A car with 1000 miles should not be doing this at all.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Apr 192016

Focus

The contact stated that a 2015 Ford Focus was rented from enterprise rental car. When the vehicle was placed in the drive position and the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to respond. The contact stated that the vehicle would vibrate uncontrollably. The contact was informed by enterprise rental car that the transmission was replaced and stated that the vehicle normally operated in that manner. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,440.

- Thonotosassa, FL, USA

Dec 222015

Focus

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. While at a stop light, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The failure recurred each time the vehicle came to a stop. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,980.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Jun 232015

Focus

Purchased this car at the end of May 2015, the car started jerking and shuttering in June, I do not feel safe in this car sometimes I am afraid when backing up or taking off that I will jerk and hit someone. I really wish I did more research on this car before purchasing and also that the dealership would share this info so you make a choice on being apart of a experiment of driving with a whats supposed to be dual clutch. For a first time buying a brand new car this is my worst experience. I have filed the lemon law twice because I do believe this problem fits the criteria to file. Its very scary driving with my son in the car I constantly pray before I drive the car. On the highway and in traffic is the scariest you just never know what the car will do. I don't know what to do at this point. I have taken it to 3 different Ford dealerships on several different occasions. First I was told I need to break it in and drive 1000 miles after that if it still happens bring it in so I did. The car had 2 recalls one I was told would fix the problem but it didn't. Ford was sure my car stopped jerking they thought they fixed it. I took it to another Ford they test drove and took a look at said the problem was the clutch assembly line is slipping. So they ordered a new clutch and put it in. Once again I was told after 1000 miles if the jerking is still there then bring it in so I did but of course the dealership told me they get so many calls about this problem and at first they didn't want to give me the time of day since the part is on back order and there nothing they could do for me, I told him just have someone drive it. Another service rep drove it but said he didn't feel anything just the normal jerking. I know how it feels to be in a manual car and the Ford Focus isn't it. This car when taking off, slowing down and picking back up feels like it will break down.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Nov 182013

Focus

Shuttering, grinding and jerking of transmission upon acceleration. Also bogging down and stalling. This happens when turning a corner, taking off from an intersection and merging onto the highway. I feel unsafe driving this car.

- Hazel Park, MI, USA

Nov 092015

Focus

The car lurches forward, experiences delayed acceleration all the time, delayed downshifting and vehicles that have trouble stopping. It is scary when I go to pull out and the car just revs and does not move I step on gas it will slowly go, then it will just rev. Several times I had to pull to side of shoulder to get out of the way because the car was not accelerating. Scary when my kids are in the car. It does it on a weekly bases. I have taken it in several time but they say sorry if they cant see the car doing it they cant fix it. This is a safety hazard when the car does not accelerate to move.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Dec 282015

Focus

I was driving on a major road at speeds of 50mph when car lost all power to the wheels and transmission slipped. I was leaving a mall parking lot and accelerating when the car jerked dangerously and stopped accelerating causing me to loose speed and control of the vehicle. Probable cause: Transmission failure or disconnect.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 152015

Focus

I purchased my car with 12 miles on it.the transmission shuddered and lagged from starting point.couple weeks after I bought it, I was doing 70 on the freeway, it down shifted to 4th gear.the trans was in D and 4th at the same time.I called Ford and they said to have it towed, it may not be safe to drive.was told by the dealership it was a faulty battery, they replaced it.the trans cont to shudder from starting, and lags between gears.a month later, I was at a stop light and the trans showed it was in D, but first gear started flashing.I took video of it.I took it to dealership after calling Ford.the dealership recalibrated the trans.the trans cont to shudder and lag, I called Ford for the 3rd time.I was told by the area manager that this is normal for this trans.I let her know that I feel unsafe in a vehicle where the tran shudders and lags.she stated take it to the dealership and she would put in a for a "good faith vehicle exchange".I took it to the dealership, they replaced the trans module.still having the same issues.called Ford to find out status on my exchange (I let her know I wasn't looking for an upgrade, I wanted the same car in a manual, which is a down grade) was told it was denied.I asked for a reason, they would not give me one.I asked for her supervisor.she called me and stated request was reviewed and it stands.I asked why it denied, and what they check when making decision.she stated could not give me any information because its proprietary.she said I should have been advised by the dealership that the trans would react that way.she also told to take it back to where I bought it, see if they will take it as a trade on something else.the dealership we bought it is 6 hour drive, there is snow in the mountains that we would have to cross.car currently has 5300 miles on it.first time was 2088 miles, Oct 15.2nd time 3095 miles, Nov 11,3rd time 5158 miles, Dec 7.

- Centralia, WA, USA

Nov 162015

Focus

Ever since I bought the car I thought there was something wrong with the transmission, but it being a new car and a new system we thought that maybe this is just how the car works.. fast forward to around 20K miles my car now needs a new clutch.. it will not shift properly it will shutter, it will stall it makes grinding noise while increasing speeds and shifting.. this car is not safe and I don't del comfortable driving it or putting my kids in it, the dealership told me it will take 4-6 weeks for my new clutch to arrive but it's ok to drive my car it won't cause issues unless it starts to stall.. if this car was to stall while on a freeway or or going at fast speeds this could cause an accident and put mine and my children's life in danger.

- Fall River Mills, CA, USA

Jun 102015

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. While accelerating from a stop at 10 mph, the vehicle jerked before moving forward. While at a stop on an incline and attempting to accelerate, the vehicle rolled backwards. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15.

- Greenville, KY, USA

Oct 222015

Focus

The contact rented a 2015 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle was placed in park with the engine off and the key in the ignition. The contact exited the vehicle and two passengers remained in the vehicle. The vehicle independently rolled backwards and crashed into another vehicle. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 17,650.

- Earle, AR, USA

Sep 062015

Focus

2015 Ford Focus has the optional powershift six speed automatic transmission. When slowly starting from low speed 20 mph with light throttle, the engine revs to 6000 RPM and the vehicle barely moves.this creates a hazardous condition and has resulted in near misses. I have also observed this at freeway speeds where the suddenly loses speed, but the engine is still at high RPM (against the rev limiter). Only by manually shifting the transmission into neutral and then back to drive, can vehicle speed be returned.the vehicle has been taken into the dealership three times and the transmission computer has been re-flashed twice. Ford engineering has been contacted by dealer and they have no solution. A data logger from the dealership has been used to record three instants that have occurred. This is an extremely dangerous condition and makes the the vehicle unsafe to be driven. It will only be a matter of time before a serious accident occurs. Because of this condition, we are using another vehicle for transportation until this condition can be corrected.

- Fountain Hills, AZ, USA

Jul 272015

Focus

I was attempting to cross a busy highway. When I accelerated the gas pedal had to be pushed to the floor in order for the vehicle to respond almost causing me to be hit by oncoming traffic. This sluggishness continued as well as hard jolting forward shifts after initial acceleration and eventually a forward jerking loud downshift noise when stopping. These problems continued, vehicle was taken to dealership. They acknowledge it is a transmission problem but refuse to cover it.

- Cantonment, FL, USA

May 152015

Focus

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. When attempting to drive, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000. MA 10/19/15

- Evansville , IN, USA

Jun 242015

Focus 4-cyl

I traded this vehicle in from a 2012 Ford fiesta, which after three years had become a rolling disaster, from the faulty transmission to the always-dying battery and two recalls. The dealer assured me the 2015 Focus was redesigned and much better. I'll admit it drives much better, is roomier, and no jerking in the transmission like the fiesta's "automated manual" transmission did. But now when the vehicle gets hot, I smell an overwhelming smell of something burning, almost like a gasket, rubbery type smell. I don't know if it's brakes, engine oil, what. I told the service dept. About it, but they said with July they were short of help with vacations, and since the car only had 500 miles on it, I had "plenty of time" on the warranty, not to worry about it. They said to let it break in at least another 500 miles. So far I've not had smoke, starting or stalling problems like others have reported. I have broken in lots of brand new cars in my lifetime, and never, ever had a burning smell. I contacted Ford customer service and got the usual nonsense of "we'll escalate this issue with your local dealer, " and like the fiesta, nothing.....updated 11/13/15 the complaint has since been resolved. The local for dealer performed a thorough check of the vehicle and adjusted the climate control. Updated 11/17/15.

- Pound, VA, USA

Mar 022015

Focus

My father bought a Ford Focus, after driving mine and liking it so well, in Feb/March of this year. He took it back for transmission whining. He was a mechanic in the armed forces and knows the sound, and chuck anderson Ford said that it was a bearing problem and they "fixed" it. He picked up the car and the transmission still made the same whining sound. A few weeks went by and the noise was louder so dad called again. At this point I got involved and made a claim to Ford, on 3/11/2015. I explained to james that I was concerned for my 79 year old fathers safety if the transmission completely failed. He told me that there was "driveability concerns" with the transmission. Dad, again, had problems with it and the dealer replaced some of the parts in the transmission. Still, the car whined and dad took it back. The dealer then told him that he should drive it 2500 miles to let the parts get worn in. 2500 miles later dad took it back, noise got worse. The Ford rep came out and told dad that they knew there was a problem with their transmissions but they couldn't fix all of them. Really"?? they fixed the F-150, why not the passenger cars? I am apaulled at theway Ford handles this situation. My fathers life may not mean anything to Ford, but it means the word to me. Ford has proven to me that they see a life as disposable in light of the things they have not done. When the transmission in all of the cars, Ford owners have told me about, go out, then what" we as consumers are stuck with a hefty bill for a new transmission that should have been right in the first place. Ford needs to be accountably for the products they put out and the safety of all of us Ford owners. They nedd to fix the problem before people are stranded, crashed or killed and an investigation is warrented in this situation. All Ford owners are due this.

- Excelsior Springs, MO, USA