2006 Ford Fusion drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Fusion:

2006 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 132016

Fusion

Wrench light appeared on dash and while driving the car on the city streets the car has a sluggish start and then a bit of a burst and then light power as I accelerate. Also I have had to change door handles and locks 3 times since I have purchase. The handles just snap off. The car will unlock but I have to manually lock most locks and open the car by putting down the window.

- Upland, CA, USA

Sep 302016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. While accelerating from a stop, the vehicle's speed increased very slowly and shifted abnormally. In addition, the check engine indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage on the rebuilt engine was approximately 90,000 and the vehicle failure mileage was approximately 152,000.

- Mills, WY, USA

Feb 232016

Fusion

Vehicle after warming up and put in gear will only move forward very slowly takes several minutes before I can get a acceptable forward motion. Can not go in traffic as car only moves at a very small rate of speed. Eventually it will go into the normal mode for driving car forward..

- Groton, CT, USA

Nov 092013

Fusion

In 2013 I experienced a loss of speed/power on my 2006 Ford Fusion. I pulled into a parking space at a shopping center and turned the car off. When the incident happened the wrench light and the traction light where lit on the dashboard display. When I started the car back up the lights were off on the dashboard and the car seemed to run fine. I did not have another incident until 2014. This time the check engine light came on as well as the wrench and traction lights. I took it and had a diagnostic done and was told it was the P code indicating the throttle. I drove the car back home and looked up the P code and found hundreds of complaints regarding this part. It was also being said that this part was defective and that Ford had issued a 10 year extended warranty (from time of purchase) on the part. Again, after starting the car the next day it was running fine, no check engine light or any other lights on. It ran fine until June 2015. At this point I had had enough and called the Ford dealership where I purchased the car. Mind you, my car only has 51K original miles. I made an appointment and dropped it off on June 24th, 2015. I was called that day and told that Ford would not be covering the throttle body because my VIN# was not one listed. I questioned this because the information I found regarding the warranty for the part didn't mention specific vins only. The service person stated that they would fix it but only if I paid for the throttle body part and labor. I picked the car up today, June 25th, 2015 and paid a shocking $788.94 for this part and labor and the $39.99 oil change and tire rotation special. This is insane. I was not in a crash or wreck however it did surge and drop speed to 20 miles an hour with cars behind me slamming on breaks. When will Ford decide to do the right thing and cover the cost of this part/repair, when someone is killed?

- Greensboro, NC, USA

May 282015

Fusion

When driving the wrench light comes on and the car looses power. I can't accelerate. If I pull off the road and turn off the car and turn it back on it fixes it. Sometimes the check engine light comes on after that.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Oct 112015

Fusion

When pressing the gas pedal to accelerate to merge on to the highway the car jerked and then will not go anywhere the motor just reaves up. Until you pull over and turn it off and restart it is the only way to get it to move again.

- Rockbridge, OH, USA

Apr 172013

Fusion

The vehicle jerks when changing gears or entering overdrive at higher speeds, sometimes very violently, occasionally resulting in complete loss of power until car is shifted into neutral and back into gear. At low speeds vehicle has very rough gear transition when braking.

- Hays, KS, USA

Oct 152013

Fusion

In 2013 I experienced a loss of speed/power on my 2006 Ford Fusion. I pulled into a parking space at a shopping center and turned the car off. When the incident happened the wrench light and the traction light where lit on the dashboard display. When I started the car back up the lights were off on the dashboard and the car seemed to run fine. I did not have another incident until 2014. This time the check engine light came on as well as the wrench and traction lights. I took it and had a diagnostic done and was told it was the P code indicating the throttle. I drove the car back home and looked up the P code and found hundreds of complaints regarding this part. It was also being said that this part was defective and that Ford had issued a 10 year extended warranty (from time of purchase) on the part. Again, after starting the car the next day it was running fine, no check engine light or any other lights on. It ran fine until June 2015. At this point I had had enough and called the Ford dealership where I purchased the car. Mind you, my car only has 51K original miles. I made an appointment and dropped it off on June 24th, 2015. I was called that day and told that Ford would not be covering the throttle body because my VIN# was not one listed. I questioned this because the information I found regarding the warranty for the part didn't mention specific vins only. The service person stated that they would fix it but only if I paid for the part and labor. I picked the car up today, June 25th, 2015 and paid a shocking $788.94 for this part and labor and the $39.99 oil change and tire rotation special. This is insane. I was not in a crash or wreck however it did surge and drop speed to 20 miles an hour with cars behind me slamming on breaks. When will Ford decide to do the right thing and cover the cost of this part/repair, when it's to late and someone is killed??

- Greensboro , NC, USA

Jun 092015

Fusion

Was on the freeway in traffic. Car starting surging and was hard to keep it in a stopped position. Once traffic started flowing, I stepped on gas and would had no power could not accelerate past 20 miles an hour. Car was towed to shop. Dealer said it was the throttle body. I researched and Ford has had this problem on their cars, but said mine is not included even though I fell into the 10 year under 150,000 miles. They said my VIN is not covered.

- Altamonte Springs, FL, USA

Jun 042015

Fusion

My 06 Fusion has been shifting funny, but I didn't know what it was. While having my oil changed, I had a 6 point inspection done, and nothing came back except my tie-rods needing replaced. One night, while driving home, suddenly my car had a hesitation when shifting into second gear. It would rev up to 3 RPM, then shift hard into 2nd gear and run fine. Two stop lights later, the shift began to get harder. I finally made it home, but later had to run an errand. The shifting got worse. Now, it was as if I was about to get a neck injury from the shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I realized that I needed to get home, because it was too late to go to the dealership. When heading to work the next morning, the wrench light popped up on the dashboard. Living only 7 minutes from work, I thought I was fine. But now, I no longer made it to 2nd gear. It stayed on first, and remained revved up to the point it was losing power. I was scared that I was going to get stuck in the middle of the road. Now, with my vehicle in the shop, I'm being told that the transmission needs an overhaul. The cost is $2800. When is the recall going to come into play?

- Elyria, OH, USA

Apr 142015

Fusion

Car dies whilst driving. This is a safety issue. Authorized Ford dealer service determined issue was caused by a defective throttle body.

- Rocklin, CA, USA

Jun 032014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 75 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the speed would decrease. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the variable valve solenoids, the ignition coils, the PCM reflash and the spark plugs needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Bernalillo, NM, USA

Dec 202014

Fusion

Transmission started slipping and then failed completely.had to have car towed to dealer.they say it needs transmission replaced.they say rust caused a hole in tubing and fluid ran out.car has just more than 73,000 miles on it.car serviced routinely, not driven in bad weather much.

- Washington, DC, USA

May 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford Fusion with a 3.0 V6 and automatic transmission has had the following same issues over the past 18 months: - loses power at city, highway and parking lot speeds without warning.... at least a half-of-dozen times - engine still idles/runs rough, but will not accelerate beyond 15-20 mph - wrench light indicator comes on, (sometimes engine light too). When I turn the engine off and restart the vehicle, it will operate fine most the times. It has done it repeatedly a couple of times. The wrench light indicator will go off after restart, but the check engine light will remain on for a couple of days then go out. - Ford claims that the 2006 Fusion is not covered under customer satisfaction program #13N03 which covers newer Fusion and other Ford models. Ford advise to have the repair made and they will reimburse customers of the repair expense at a future date, if Ford should ever issue a csp program for the 2006 Fusion. - I have had this happen at highway speeds on interstate highways and rural highways without shoulders to pull over. This is obviously a dangerous situation and needs to be rectified asap. - I have had several incidents where I was almost hit from behind due to this issue and it's just a matter of time before someone is seriously injured due to this issue. My research shows that this is an ongoing problem for people with certain Ford products. - Ford.....due the right thing and make it right for all!

- Fulton, MO, USA

Nov 172009

Fusion

This vehicle lose power and slows down, it happened on the express way more than 5 times. I was almost rear ended by a semi truck. I only drive it on side streets now. It pops into gear very hard, the wrench light and the check engine light is on. It gets stuck in second gear and burns a lot of gas. It started soon after the warranty ran out. I had a lot of repairs done and the power train and engine is not working right as of yet, something is wrong with this Ford Fusion 06 and a lot of people are having the same problems with it. Why does it take the deaths of many innocent people first before there's a recall?

- Holland, OH, USA

Oct 182014

Fusion 6-cyl

While shifting from higher gear to lower gear while climbing a hill, transmission jumped between gears, slamming the gears as if popping a clutch (it's an automatic transmission). On another hill, the vehicle did not engage in the lower gear, revving up to about 4000 RPM as if in neutral, leaving the car decelerating on the uphill stretch among speeding traffic. I had to move the gear shift to neutral and back to drive, ease on the accelerator, and the lower gear engaged, after slowing to about 35 on 65 mph speed limit freeway. Ford lists the repair in tsb 08-24-1 as "transmission harsh shifting" and recommends replacement of the main control. This part has been identified as faulty and common with the transmissions installed on my vehicle and many other makes and models. It presents a clear danger to drivers and passengers who risk being rear-ended due to sudden deceleration or stranded due to "harsh shifting" damage to the transmission and drive train. I have no confidence driving the car out of town or near any hill, and the vehicles should be recalled.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Oct 232014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle suddenly decelerated and failed to accelerate over 20 mph. The vehicle was restarted and the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician noticed that the wrench warning light illuminated and diagnosed that the drive train and the throttle body failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- Newport Richey, FL, USA

Oct 022014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on the suncoast pkwy at 60 mph my vehicle suddenly slowed to only 20 mph causing me to be a road hazard. I was nearly killed by the other cars in the flow. It was a frightening experience.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Aug 182010

Fusion

I was trying to accelerate to merge on to the freeway. My 2006 Ford Fusion refused to respond. The revs went up to 4000 RPM and the car just stayed there going very slowly. After a few seconds, it jerked forward, so I pulled back on the side of the road and let the "tantrum" past. I've had several close calls since-- the most scary one occurring in stop-and-go traffic. When accelerating after slowing down, the Fusion will rev up and creep slowly forward until one removes one's foot from the gas pedal and allow it to settle back in gear. Luckily, I've avoided being rear-ended by fast approaching cars. Recently, Ford cleaned the throttle body and charged $232, I still have the same problem and am still waiting for a recall on this vehicle. Incidentally, the stalling also happens after making a right or left hand turn.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Sep 272014

Fusion 4-cyl

Vehicle is hesitant to start and get up past 5 mph and engine light came on. Took car to local pep boys where they placed it on engine machine. Per pep boy car through throttle body stuck open code. Local dealer closed dropped car off for look over. Dealer confirmed Monday that throttle body is stuck but state that this vehicle is not a part of current throttle body recall...im writing this here so if Ford should decide to cover this at a future time I'll be able to file for a refund.

- Boyertown, PA, USA