2006 Ford Fusion drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Fusion:

2006 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jun 242014

Fusion 6-cyl

Was driving down a busy highway when the car just chugged and died. The tool light came on after it failed to go by giving it gas.this is the second time this has happened to my car. I took it to my Ford dealership and it turned out to be the throttle body. I am very upset and being a women I had no idea how to handle this situation when it happened. It has cost alot of money to replace and it is very dangerous. Is there a recall on this part ? if so I would like to know about it.

- Harveysburg, OH, USA

Jun 082014

Fusion 6-cyl

When I was driving 55 mph, the car did a little jerk like it had missed. No lights came on and I drove to the nearest side road off the highway and stopped. I tried to go further but only made it about 100 yards because I lost all power including steering. My car was half in the road so I was thankful this was not a high traffic road. The engine light came on and there was a smell. It wasn't the smell of oil but was a fluid smell. The car would not turn over and had to be towed to the dealership. It came up as a misfire 3 and they told me that they had to replace the coil. This did not fix the problem and they said the 3 coil when it blew it took out the other coils as well as the 6 spark plugs and the PCM. This was a $2250 repair. I only have 68,000 on the car. After reading other tsb, some stated that if under 80,000 miles/8 years that it was covered under the manufacture warranty. I called Ford and was told I missed the 8 year mark by exactly 30 days. There was nothing that I could do but hold on to my receipts in case there would ever be a recall. This is the only major issue I have had. I have never had any other engine issues with the car. I've only had 2 minor issues before this and they were the lumbar going out in the driver's seat ($300 repair that I did not replace) and 2 door handles breaking from the inside that were $160 to replace each. I did replace bc of the safety issue of not being able to get out of the car. After reading the tsb, I see that the PCM and coils are a recurring issue and I am thankful I was on a side road when it occurred... I am very worried that it may occur again and hope this issues will be or has been looked into for the safety of others.

- Canton, IL, USA

Jun 132014

Fusion 6-cyl

Trying to accelerate onto highway, vehicle would rev up to limit 6K and slam into gear causing tires to spin and almost lose control. Have to park and turn off vehicle to resume driving. Others time car would just lose momentum and rpms go very high but no movement. Again, park car turn off and resume driving. Was told by many mechanics that this is a tranny problem in this model Ford. Cost of $2,000 to repair. Seems to be very common and am just logging my records incase Ford finally acknowledges it.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Dec 192013

Fusion 6-cyl

I have had problems with it since I bought it, it has problems starting especially when its cold outside. Driver heated seat caught fire and melted my seat, now my heated seat doesn't work and seat is ruined. Transmission is poorly made and unsafe. While driving it has problems shifting, shoots the rpms all the way up. The car sounds like its going to blow up. Does it mostly when showing down and speeding up. Not the only person having issues, Ford needs to stop being so cheap and recall the 2006

- Batesville, IN, USA

Jan 132014

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while the vehicle was idle, it responded as if it was shutting down. When gasoline was added to the vehicle, it only accelerated up to 5 mph. The vehicle had to be shut down and restarted in order to regain proper acceleration. The failure recurred three times over a period of four months. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the vehicle had an internal short. The throttle body assembly needed to be replaced and the PCM reset in order to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 124,000.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Apr 182014

I was driving at about 30mph suddenly I could not accelerate and the car died in the middle if the road luckily I was able to pull off safely without killing anyone! took the car to a local mechanic as well as a Ford dealer both agreed needs new PCM and 6 ignition coils = $2000! is it going to take an actual death for this to be recalled?

- Auburn, IN, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was going home on highway (65 mph) and the traffic started to slow down and so I put on my brake and lost my power. It was in limp mode. Fortunately, I was in low speed lane and could get over to the side of highway and managed to pull off. After 5 minutes I was able to restart car and get home. The throttle body had to be replaced. This is a safety concern. I feel I was very lucky I did not get slammed into and someone did not get hurt.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 122014

Coming off an exit ramp at approx. 35 mph I felt a jerking/stalling feeling as I merged into freeway traffic where the speed limit is 65 mph. I viewed my instrument panel and found the wrench symbol illuminated. Acceleration was sluggish briefly, but after awhile acceleration seemed to return to norm. All the while the wrench light remained illuminated for an approx. 25 miles. Once in a safe location I turned the car off and waited approximately two minutes before attempting to restart it. Upon restarting the wrench light was no longer illuminated. I drove the car another approx. 10 miles to make it home and the wrench light is no longer illuminated when car is restarted. This all took place in the midst of a snow/sleet storm. A drive that typically takes approx. 45 minutes took approx. 4 hours. I called the service department of my local Ford dealership and understandably I found that they had closed and reopening the next day was/is in question due to the weather.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 012011

Contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the front passenger and both rear interior door handles became fractured when engaged. In addition, the contact was driving 55 mph when the vehicle failed to respond to acceleration attempts over 55 mph. The seat belt mechanism also failed and the contact was unable to secure the seat belt. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where the transmission was replaced. The interior door handles and the seat belt were not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Hickory , MS, USA

Oct 012009

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle would shake and jerk while driving various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed, which located the failure at the transmission control unit. The transmission control unit was replaced however, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where a second diagnostic was performed, which located the failure at the transmission control module. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 92,294 and the current mileage was 104,983.

- Sun City , AZ, USA

Jun 272012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the vehicle began to vibrate in a jerking motion. In addition, an abnormal noise emitted outside of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where the PCM and power train module was replaced under the service warranty. The failure recurred one year later. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Aug 012012

Fusion 4-cyl

I am having throttle body issues with my Ford Fusion (2006) the problem was first diagnosed in 2011 and again last year, both by two different mechanics/body shops (one was a Ford dealer). I saw about a month ago on my local news of consumers who are having the same issues (throttle body, car loses power without notice, etc.) I emailed Ford to ask about repair or even going half on the repair for my vehicle as my household is unable to afford it due to loss of income/job. I was told there is nothing they can do or will offer however, "certain" people are getting their repairs taken care of. For it to make the news this issue is a big deal. I brought it to Ford attention to let them know that its simply not the newer model cars that are experiencing this mine, as well as a friends Ford (2008) have the same problem.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Sep 112012

I have a 2006 Fusion this problem started a year ago. First my car shakes, when driven 20mph and try to accelerate it has a hard time picking up speed it misses. So I had my spark plugs changed twice in the last year because I thought that's what was wrong. I took it to my local good year and they noticed that I've had my spark plugs changed with them twice so, the mechanic took my car apart and found that my 5th cylinder was bad and that it was burning through my coils. 2 years ago I had issues with my balls joints on my car front tires fixed it now, I am having the same problem my ball joints have clay in them how that happen I don't know. There is also a 3rd problem that I am having with my transmission. I came across this website to see if there were any recalls for my vehicle, of course it would be my luck nothing!!! I work for Toyota and they recall their vehicles all the time for any issue they have with their vehicles. I will never buy a Ford again!!!

- Navarre, FL, USA

Aug 042013

I was traveling on a local highway behind a slow moving traffic at 30mph. A car let me over in to the left traveling lane, as I pushed down the gas paddle to accelerate my car jumped several times and made a popping sound. It went from 30mph to 0mph and the car behind me slammed on it's brakes and came within inches of hitting me! after doing research online last night (, I realized that many Fusion owners have had similar issues, and that Ford is aware of the issue with the german transmission installed in this model. It was a very scary, life threatening experience and I cannot believe that Ford has not recalled 2006 Fusion knowing that the transmission has a history of being faulty! I was fearful for my life, the life of my puppy in the backseat, and the life of the driver and other drivers behind me! I have this question for Ford, "is making money more important than a human life?" let's get this right and recall all models that have this specific german transmission installed!

- Manassas, VA, USA

Aug 032013

Fusion 6-cyl

Today while traveling down I-40 with my children in the car my Ford Fusion revved up to almost 5 rpms and started jerking I stepped on the gas and nothing was happening just revved up and then finally jumped into gear. At that time we just about got rear ended by two vehicles that was behind us on the interstate running between 55-60mph. Im very concerned about the 2006 Ford Fusion transmissions and believe this problem needs to quit being over looked. As of today I have been doing some investigating myself and apparently everyone that owns a 2006 Ford Fusion has had a similar incident, L have read forums and just googled and a lot of people are having the same experiences. I just want something done like a recall I believe that would be the right thing to have done. One more thing I had no idea my Fusion transmission was even bad never had my car do anything like it done today. Thanks

- Canton, NC, USA

Jun 302013

Fusion 6-cyl

Traveling down busy local highway about 45mph in late rush hour traffic. The car suddenly began to run very rough and then engine stalled. Check engine light came on. The car had to be maneuvered to the side of the road with no power on very busy highway. There were a couple close calls but no accident thankfully. The car was towed to a local dealer. The dealer indicates the power train controller module (PCM) unit failed. This seems to be very common failure on these cars and it can be dangerous.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jul 032013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, there was a sudden loss of power as the check charging system warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the PCM module, coils, spark plugs, and the intake manifold gasket needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 84,000.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Jul 022013

Fusion 6-cyl

When I was passing a car on the high way the transmission slipped out of gear. I was in the middle lane and lost all acceleration. Dead in the water. I had to put my hazard lights on and pull over to the side of the road. Turning the card on and off fixed the issue. Since that it has done this multiple times.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 062013

Fusion 6-cyl

At first I felt on previous day slippage at slow uphill driving and some starts. Huge bang like the bottom was falling out of the car. Like I was rear ended. Then on July 6th while on flat, dry 4 lane at 50 mph it felt like it slipped into neutral and the engine revved up. I took foot off of accelerator and it went back into gear. I had someone else's child in my car. This is dangerous. I am in the nc area to have surgery and staying at a friends house. I am disabled too. I cannot in anyway afford to fix this. I was a Ford employee when I got this car. I love Ford. Only heated seat and lumbar problems that I can't fix either. I would like a recall and help to fix this. Please. I have no place to live and my car is all I own. Please help.thanks

- Bluff City, TN, USA

Jun 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving on the highway at 65mph when the transmission slip out of gear and the engine started to rev up. Got of to the side of the rode when there was a safe spot to let the traffic behind us go around. I had my wife and two grand children in the car not a safe position to be in. Ford knows about the valve in asin transmission. Can not believe they will not honor this problem, when they know about it. The problem is getting worse. Please help!

- Juneau, WI, USA