2006 Ford Fusion drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Fusion:

2006 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 062013

Fusion 6-cyl

At first I felt on previous day slippage at slow uphill driving and some starts. Huge bang like the bottom was falling out of the car. Like I was rear ended. Then on July 6th while on flat, dry 4 lane at 50 mph it felt like it slipped into neutral and the engine revved up. I took foot off of accelerator and it went back into gear. I had someone else's child in my car. This is dangerous. I am in the nc area to have surgery and staying at a friends house. I am disabled too. I cannot in anyway afford to fix this. I was a Ford employee when I got this car. I love Ford. Only heated seat and lumbar problems that I can't fix either. I would like a recall and help to fix this. Please. I have no place to live and my car is all I own. Please help.thanks

- Bluff City, TN, USA

Jun 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving on the highway at 65mph when the transmission slip out of gear and the engine started to rev up. Got of to the side of the rode when there was a safe spot to let the traffic behind us go around. I had my wife and two grand children in the car not a safe position to be in. Ford knows about the valve in asin transmission. Can not believe they will not honor this problem, when they know about it. The problem is getting worse. Please help!

- Juneau, WI, USA

Sep 262012

Fusion 6-cyl

When attempting to accelerate at a highway speed, which caused the car to downshift, the transmission would "slip" out of gear, causing the RPM's to rev up to an unsafe level. To get the car back into gear, I had to remove my foot from the accelerator and let it coast for a bit. Once the RPM's returned to between 1000-2000, it slammed hard into gear and began driving again. This occurs regularly even at regular street speeds, when you need to accelerate where a downshift is necessary. This could easily lead to a crash. Ford Motor Company knows about the problem with the transmissions in these cars, basically it is due to valve bore wear in the main control. They have a defective control body which has extreme spool bore wear. A tsb was issued: Tsb bulletin date: Feb 2007 various driveability/transmission symptoms - PCM/tcm calibration updates 3.0L - aisin F21 auto trans. ( NHTSA item number - 10021277 ). no recall by Ford to date. If you catch it before the clutch is burnt up, you can get by with replacing the main control valve body for around $800-$1000, however if you're beyond that point it's a $4500+ new transmission.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jun 302013

Fusion

My Ford Fusion V6 sel has been slipping since 50,000 miles. I have had 2 minor transmission changes within the past 3 years. Today me and my kids were driving about 20-35 mph around town when the transmission slipped. The car would not respond to accelerating on the gas pedal. I tried placing the car into low gear, reverse with nothing happening. This was on a busy intersection, the car final after forcing me and my kids to jerk forward started to work again. Each time I stopped at a stop light the car took 1-2 minutes to rise above 20 mph. I finally made it to my house which has a small slant on the drive way and the car struggled just to make it in the garage. This was the most embarrassing day of my life!!!! the car clearly is out of warranty and each time I look up tsb's I see more and more 2006-11 Ford Fusion postings. Being a Ford fan my whole life I must say if nothing is done with this complaint I will no longer support Ford and will encourage other not to as well. The next steps are to go to the Ford dealership and do a diagnostic. I may also try a major transmission change, my fear would be to do a transmission change with zero confidence that this will fix the problem!!! Ford must keep quality and safety in mind with every car they sell especially a 1st generation model.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jun 142013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle rpms increased and the vehicle squeaked with the illumination of the transmission warning light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the PCM module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- Greenwood, MO, USA

Mar 012012

Fusion

We started having problems with the transmission in our 2006 Ford Fusion in early 2012. We replaced the transmission in April when it had roughly 65,000, with a used transmission. It was fine for a few months, and now we are having hard shifting and transmission slippage. The car has around 70,000 miles now. I have heard of this issue by many Fusion owners, and Ford refuses to do anything about it. It is in my opinion that the transmissions in this car need to be recalled.

- Effingham, IL, USA

Jan 142013

Fusion

The transmission is bad in the car. The 2006 Ford Fusion was purchased brand new and the extended warenty expired, the transmission went bad. What makes it so bad is that the car only has a little over 46000 miles. So many people have submitted complaints and I want to know what is Ford going to do to correct the problem and reimburse us at least some of the money that we had to pay for the transmission.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 232012

Fusion 6-cyl

I was accelerating as I was entering/merging onto the highway. The vehicle jerked violently and stopped with a loud thud. After the sudden stop, driving on the highway was erratic, meaning the RPM and shifting was all over the place. I exited as soon as the next exit was available. Then, even though the vehicle was in drive, it went "out of gear" and I was unable to propel the vehicle forward. I had the vehicle towed to the dealership. The dealership stated that the valve body of the transmission would need to be replaced. This is due to Ford tsb due to part of the transmission that is defective. Refer to NHTSA #10021277. If I had been merging into traffic or if I had been attempting to cross the street and the vehicle will not propel itself forward in the manner I expect, it could lead to serious accident. Please have Ford recall this part for all such vehicles so no one gets injured or killed.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Jun 122011

Fusion

After 3 months of purchasing my 2006 Ford Fusion I was experiencing transmission problems that causes my car to jerk and lock in gear. Thus, prevents me from driving on the freeway and main streets. A cautious driver is not a good driver.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Aug 072012

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving on freeway 70 mph when all of a sudden there was nothing when I pressed on the gas...felt like it was in neutral. This car was purchased on May 29,2012 for our 16 year old daughter. Thank goodness I was driving the vehicle and not her. Very dangerous!! we didn't know Ford Fusion's had transmission problems; we never would have purchased the car in the first place.

- Brenham, TX, USA

Jun 202012

Fusion 6-cyl

Car equipped with aisin F21 6 speed automatic transmission. When the automatic transmission down shifted there was a loud clunk and the car slowly came to a halt. The engine RPM increased as I tried to get the vehicle to move off to the side of the road. After shutting the car off and restarting it was able to get me home. The next time I drove it, it was fine for a while and did it again. Took it to the Ford dealer and was told it needed an new transmission control valve body. I asked if there had been problems with this transmission in other Fusion and they said none that they knew of. In looking on the internet I find that this transmission has been a problem for many people from the years 2005-2010. Check service bulletin put out by Ford # 08-24-1 publication date Nov. 13 2008. I am sure there are other service bulletins also. Many people have had their vehicle stop on a very busy highway and have been put in danger because of the above problem. Since Ford had been aware of this problem they should have had a recall to correct it in the interest of public safety. Thank you

- Cedaredge, CO, USA

Aug 102011

Fusion

My transmission is slipping a lot. I will be accelerating my speed and all of the sudden my car acts like it is in neutral. I have read a lot of complaints from other Ford Fusion owners stating the same problem. This needs to be recalled. This is very unsafe. Driving on the highway and then all of the sudden your transmission slips and there are cars at fast speeds traveling next to you and behind you is not safe at all.

- Elberfeld, IN, USA

May 152012

Fusion 6-cyl

Transmission slipping at downshift at around 35 mph. Dealer changed fluid. Helped for around 3 weeks and started again. Today 7/24/2012 transmission slipped out of gear entering highway rt 78 at rt 100 and almost involved in a crash, had to pull on to shoulder to avoid it. Ford clearly knows of the problems with the aisin transmission and should be held responsible for any repairs. The problem is with valve bore wear in the main control or megatronic. Why should citizens be made to pay for faulty parts used in construction ?

- Whitehall, PA, USA

Jul 142012

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving up a steep hill when the transmission began to slip in and out of gear. Several very loud clunking noises were heard under the vehicle like the transmission was not working properly. I began to slow down on a busy road with several car behind me due to the fact that the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle directly behind me almost ran right into the rear end of the car with my 7 week old son in the back. When I took it to the dealership they followed the tsb 08-24-1 recommendations and said that I needed a new transmission. This vehicle is very dangerous to drive now. I will not take it on the road due to the fact that it will not accelerate at times. This problem only occurs after about 1 hour of driving the vehicle. A recall is needed!

- Troy , MO, USA

Jul 012011

Fusion

Purchased 2006 Ford Fusion sel 6 cyl, new. And about year ago starting having transmission problems. Upon accelerating between 25-40, the transmission jumps in and out of gear, often making a loud banging noise and taking away all acceleration. In order for it to get back into gear, you have to completely let of the gas and it will eventually go back into gear. This allows for minimal accelerator at best when trying to speed up. This failure occurs randomly everytime I drive the vehicle. If not fixed, the transmission in my car will eventually go bad. Due to no codes showing up on the computer, that on the Ford bulletin it was going to need a new valve body, transmission flush, and reprogramming. This is going to cost roughly $2200. The valve body, from Ford, was $1400. I got into an accident in March of this year due to not being able to accelerate from another vehicle merging into my lane, transmission jumped out gear.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 222010

Fusion

The transmission slips and jerks hard, really hard when changing gear. The car lose power while driving. Then it will kick back in hard. I will not buy another Ford!!! now I see why people buy foreign.

- N/A, OH, USA

Jun 112012

Fusion

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the key became stuck in the ignition. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the gear shifter needed to be replaced. The dealer advised the contact that the problem was with the software not reading when the vehicle was in park. The contact stated that the door locks also failed as the failure occurred. The failure and the current mileage was 44,000.

- Seminole, FL, USA

Mar 012008

Fusion

Bought the car used with approx. 45,000 miles on it from Ford dealership. Within a week I was back at the Ford dealership I bought it at. The car would not accelerate, stuck in gear, jerk violently. They gave me a loaner car to drive, another 06 Ford Fusion. They told me there was nothing wrong with the car and it was the way I drive. I told them I didn't have any problems with the loaner car or any other car I've ever driven or owned. They insisted I was wrong. Over the next month I brought the car back to the dealership and encountered the same resistance. The problem got progressively worse and dangerous to drive to the point where I would be going 60+ mph on a highway and the car went into neutral. The transmission completely failed in 2010, at that time I had it replaced, costing $3,000. May 31, 2012 - approx 65,000 miles. Similar problems again. Car would not accelerate, very hesitant, entire car shakes violently while driving. Check engine like came on. I took the car to my mechanic, he tested and determined three coils went bad. Looked in the car and discovered the coils had actually melted. With research, determined the computer system had failed. Coils and computer system need to be replaced. Approx cost (so far) - $1500.

- Pennsauken, NJ, USA

May 182012

Fusion 4-cyl

Car has multiple issues with hard revs of the transmission. It has caused me to have to slow because it feels like the entire car shifts so hard that it is gonna break apart. Car now does not even rev. Reviewed hundreds of complaints online about same problem with the 2006 Ford Fusion and nothing is being done. It is horrible! something needs to be done. There is no recall and even after replacing parts on the transmission or the entire transmission as hundreds have said they did, the problem still occurs shortly there after!

- Mountainair, NM, USA

May 092012

Fusion

Hard shifting from 1st to 2nd. Just want it fixed.

- Spartanburg, SC, USA