2007 Ford Fusion brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Fusion:

2007 Ford Fusion Owner Comments

Oct 242016

Fusion

After hitting the brakes and engaging the ABS system, the brakes have now gone "soft" as the hydraulic control unit has not reset itself and the backside valve remains open. I now must press the brakes about 90% of the distance to the floor every time in order for the vehicle to stop appropriately. After some basic research this seems to be a common issue with 07 and 08 Ford Fusion. The mechanic cannot figure out a sure fix and any suggested fix is very costly with no guarantee of success. Why is there no recall on this"??" very unsafe!!

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

Jul 122016

Fusion

While driving the brake pedal began to fail, as I pressed down on the brake it traveled to the floor. The brakes did not engage, I quickly released pressure on the brake pedal and pressed again, the brakes then engaged but the pedal still traveled down past its normal position. I was driving straight on a city street (asphalt-no apparent damage to road), I was able to stop and not hit anything because I was driving at a low rate of speed and quickly reapplied the brake.

- Merced, CA, USA

Apr 022016

Fusion

I have had two incidents where my brake pedal went to the floor and I had no brakes. The first time, October 21, 2015, the dealer couldn't pinpoint the problem and suggested replacing the rear brakes which were worn (note: They had passed inspection no long before this time). I agreed to this repair. Then on April 2, the pedal once again went to the floor when I braked. I pumped the brakes and was able to stop for a red light without hitting the car in front of me. This time the dealer replaced the ABS valve module, flushed and replaced the brake fluid. Luckily during both incidents I was driving on city streets at low speeds. The first incident occurred after I hit a pot hole with my right front tire. As soon as I braked the pedal went to the floor. The second time I hit a rough patch where the street had been dug up and temporarily patched. I suspect there is something going on between the ABS system and the brakes. Even with the latest repair I have lost all confidence in the car's brakes. I would hate to think what would have happened had a car been directly in front of me or had I been traveling at highway speed. I do not want to experience another incident of this sudden, unexplained brake loss.

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Feb 282012

Fusion

While driving around 25 to 30 mph on wet roads in stop and go traffic, I was braking normally and my right front tire was over a man hole cover. The ABS engaged and the pedal went to the floor. The brakes have never returned to a normal feel. I've had the master cylinder replaced and brakes bled on numerous occasions and was finally told that the ABS valve module was stuck open. I was quoted over $1,000 by Ford dealership. Can't afford it so I've learned to live with a spongy brake pedal. I just pray I don't need to stop suddenly.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Nov 132015

Fusion

The idler arm bolt has broken 4 or 5 times now. Once it happened while driving but thankfully we were able to pull over to the side. Last time was in a parking lot

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Jun 292015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Fusion. While the vehicle was approaching a stop on an uneven road, the brakes were unresponsive when the brake pedal was depressed. The contact pulled the vehicle off the road and depressed the brake pedal multiple times before it became responsive. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the brake pads and rotors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000......updated 12/15/15

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 312015

Fusion 4-cyl

I took my car into the dealer to have my brakes checked. I was told I needed new brakes and rotors, after replacing brakes and rear rotors drove the car out, less than a quarter of a mile on the way home brake paddle went down to the floor.return to the dealer was suggested I need a master cylinder, the master cylinder was replaced was told that was not the problem. No one knew exactly what it was for two days, I was called and inform it was ABS valve module. Ford dealer had to order valve module one week later still waiting. Don't understand why there is no recall. (many complaints)

- Canton, MI, USA

Oct 292014

Fusion

Complete brake system failure! I was the third vehicle in line waiting for a red light to change. The light changed and we all started moving forward. We move straight through the intersection. About 200 feet past the intersection two stray dogs run across the roadway. The roadway is a divided four lane with passing lanes and is a 40 mph zone. The two vehicles in front were able to stop. As I applied pressure on the brakes, I had this sense that something in the braking system let go. The brake pedal went to the floorboard. I remember pushing for all I was worth attempting to stop the vehicle, but having the sense that the vehicle is just not stopping. The accident was written up as unavoidable due to the two dogs and no driver was cited. That evening as I had time to relive the accident, I recalled the sense of the brakes having failed. The next day I went into the body shop and told them what I remembered and asked them to inspect the brakes as part of the repair assessment. They found that the braking system was completely gone except for the emergency brakes. The diagnostic system showed numerous codes in the braking system. The body shop had someone from Ford Motor Company come and check on the brakes and they reported that the ABS system had gone out. Upon further inspection it was determined that brake failure caused the accident, and not the accident that caused the braking system to fail. It was determined that when the system went down that the ABS system blew out pressure lines and also caused and electrical failure that burned electrical lines and blew out the fuses. If I had been driving 70 mph, I might not be here to tell about it. Is there a history of this problem with this car? equipment failure like this kills people.

- Clackamas, OR, USA

Sep 242013

Fusion 6-cyl

After ABS engaged, low brake pressure. (pedal to floor - little stopping ability) brake pressure returned after "pumping up" brakes. This issue has occurred more than twice, with different operators.

- Manhasset, NY, USA

Sep 172014

Fusion

Driving along and went to stop at a stop sign and the brake pedal went all the way to the floor then started stopping very slowly. Took it the the mechanic shop and they couldn't find anything wrong. Drove it home and it did it one time again. Continued driving it for about 300 miles before it happened again last night. This time the brake failed at 4 stops in a row. Then it engaged again and was fine the rest of the 20 miles home. The dealer mechanic said it may have something to do with the ABS but it will be expensive to diagnose and repair because it only happens intermitantly. I have read numerous other complaints from other Fusion owners forums for the same problem. One person said it cost $2000 to fix. Ford issued a service bulletin and set up a customer satisfaction program for this same problem but only for hybrids. This is a very dangerous problem. I went right through the stop sign and could have been killed if the other person hadn't slammed on their brakes.

- Staunton, IL, USA

Aug 102010

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. In addition, the contact stated that the steering wheel seized and the brakes failed to respond without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the bolt fractured as a result the pulley needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired on two occasions but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000. The consumer stated there was a noise coming front he engine. The dealer stated the replaced the idler tensions pulley. However, he continued to experience problems. The consumer went to another dealer, who informed him, the problem would happen again, because the bolts that held the pulley in place, were too small in diameter and would break at some point. As the consumer was backing out of the driveway, he heard a noise then lost power steering and brakes. Updated 11/10/13

- Pasadena, TX, USA

May 102014

Fusion

Very noticeable is the jerking of the car, especially when accelerating.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 212013

Fusion 6-cyl

When backing out of a parking spot I depressed the brake pedal and it went straight to the floor. The car did not stop. I put car immediately into park and then pumped brakes. Pressure seemed to return to the brakes so I proceeded to back out again, testing brakes consistently. Brakes seemed to respond but seemed "soft" still. I drove car to mechanic without incident, thinking the problem was the master cylinder. Mechanic informed me that the problem was not the master cylinder but rather the ABS hydraulic control module and that he had seen this same problem with four other Ford vehicles, two of them Fusion. Mechanic stated that when he looked up the symptoms I reported to him in his "identifix/oem" database that this problem came up associated with a technical service bulletin from Ford, including the instructions for how to repair the problem. He could not find a recall notice for this problem, however. This appears to be a manufacturer's defect and I am perplexed as to why there is no recall. I will be contacting the Ford Motor Company to investigate further. My mechanic repaired the problem which cost just over $2000 and did include him taking the car to a Ford dealer to reset the ABS and associate the repair with my VIN. Two days since repair and I have not had any brake problems.

- Rochester, NY, USA