2007 Ford Fusion drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Fusion:

2007 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 012016

Fusion

After 75K miles, ptu (power transfer unit) gear inside went out on 2007 Ford Fusion AWD auto. Cost to replace $2213. Noticing many complaints online with Ford AWD products; called Ford Motor Co to ask for recall/reimbursement because I take great care of the vehicle and feel this is a flaw, not a result of neglect or misuse. Just purchased 2016 Ford Fusion AWD, not aware of this issue, so am concerned about the feasibility of it being an issue later since it doesn't appear they are looking at correcting the problem. Told that if I don't fix this, the transmission will most likely go out. While auto is driveable, it is dangerous to do so - particularly on interstate/highways, so I am having it fixed.

- Omaha, NE, USA

May 142016

Fusion

The automatic car shifted into reverse when coming to a stop all on its own. This happened on a country roud it did this three times before the transmission failed. One of the four occupants back was sprained and did not seek immediate medical attention but still may have to.

- Anderson, IN, USA

Dec 212015

Fusion

Driving on interstate 75 my car made a popping noise and lost power, was in limp mode, check engine light came on, had car diagnosed and found to have busted ignition coils and bad ECM, replaced those, less than a week later driving to work again and wrench light came on, it comes and goes but the check engine light is on. The car loses all power until shut off, am told it is a throttle body issue. The car has just over 73,000 miles and has been very well taken care of. I am afraid to drive any more due to the sudden loss of power on highway with no way of knowing when it is going to happen again.

- Kettering, OH, USA

Jan 092016

Fusion

Our Ford Fusion suddenly lost power and starting acting in an unpredictable fashion, while traveling on rte 95 North in the passing lane. We narrowly avoided a rear end collision with the vehicle behind us, as well as other vehicles as we worked to get over to the safety of the breakdown lane. An orange wrench light was in an "on" state and the car was running very rough. After checking all gauges and fluids, I restarted the car and found it to be in a normal state again, with no wrench light visible. We turned around and headed home. This condition occurred one more time about 45 miles later, just a few miles from our home, same result. I researched the issue and found that the NHTSA is aware of this problem and has been asked to fix over 1 million cars exhibiting the same issue. I contacted Ford, as recommended in a report I discovered online. Their response was that, while they were aware of the issue and the problems it causes, our 2007 Fusion was not covered and we are responsible for the repairs. This issue just occurred today, therefore I have no documentation, other than what is available on many websites and blogs, documented by other Ford owners, complaining of the same issue. Am I to understand that of the million plus cars having this problem, some will be corrected, while for some reason that Ford could not explain, some are not?

- Sandwich, MA, USA

Nov 132015

Fusion

The idler arm bolt has broken 4 or 5 times now. Once it happened while driving but thankfully we were able to pull over to the side. Last time was in a parking lot

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Nov 012014

Fusion

The transmission went out approximately November 1st, 2014 after driving on the highway and having the gear slip and not accelerate past 25 mph with high rpms. When attempting to shift into reverse from a stopped position, the car jolts very abruptly as well. The transmission was rebuilt per aamco recommendation. On April 29th, 2015, the transmission went out again with the same issue as before. Aamco stated that the solenoids needed to be replaced. The total cost for repairs has been $2,500 to date.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jan 142015

Fusion 6-cyl

For the past month I have been experiencing loss of acceleration. My car basically goes into "limp mode" when the problem arises. The car loses all acceleration and can only go about 10mph. The first time I noticed it, I was driving to work and the car started to make a "hiccup" feeling resulting in total loss of acceleration power. Almost immediately the wrench icon lights up. The only way to start driving again is to pull over and turn the car off. Upon restarting the car the wrench icon is off and seems to drive fine for a little while. Since then, I have experienced the problem at least 8 times per week, and the check engine light will come on as well for a few days then disappear. I have noticed that 2010-2013 Ford Fusion have had a customer satisfaction program assigned by Ford for this same problem, providing a 10 year/150,000 mile warranty for the electronic throttle body. Why are the earlier models not covered under this same program when they are clearly having the same issues (according to the numerous reports listed on here)??!!

- Lockport, NY, USA

Dec 072014

Fusion 6-cyl

Had to replace an ignition coil for a misfire obd code. After replacing coil problem still existed, so I researched online and found a great number of other Fusion owners who have had this same problem. Now I am supposed to replace all the ignition coils and the PCM. With the number of affected vehicles being staggering I feel that there needs to be a recall for this issue.

- Seneca Falls, NY, USA

Nov 232014

Fusion

I was driving at about 60 mph and suddenly I felt the vehicle have some type of loss of power. I tried to press on the gas pedal and the car would not accelerate and the RPM odometer was "jumping" from 1 to 1.5 and the idle was horribly rough.the motor sounded like it was a forced idle. I pulled to the side of the road and opened the hood to see what was going on, I checked everything to see if maybe there was anything loose or something in there and there was nothing that I could see spot on or notice spot on. I did some research on the 'symptoms" and cleaning or forcing shut the throttle actuator was the number one thing that kept showing. So I pulled everything apart and cleaned it and sprayed some wd-40. Once I out everything back together I then started the vehicle and the wrench light turned off and it was running like normal.

- Azle, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Fusion. After starting the engine, the gear shifter would not switch from the park position. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Marion, IL, USA

Nov 162014

Fusion

When accelerating from a stop light, my car slightly lost power and the transmission light came on.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Oct 292014

Fusion 6-cyl

Was driving all of a sudden car made a bang would not move forward had it towed to local garage was diagnosed that the power train unit went had it towed to transmission place while taking it apart they diagnosed that the gasket was the cooperate of it cost me $2200 due to Ford faulty gaskets have noticed that there tons of complaints against Ford Ford this;. also my sister has a 2010 same thing happen to her with only 57000 miles on vehicle Ford should recall this there no reason for this happen tons of people take suburu off road and they don't have their drive trains go will never by Ford again.

- Bennington, VT, USA

Oct 132014

Fusion 6-cyl

My car has a history of lost power/stall during normal driving, it is happening more frequent so I want to file this complain to have some investigation. While accelerating to merge to the highway traffic/speed, the engine lost power and not response to pressing on the gas pedal. My wife had to steer the car back to the shoulder to avoid accident. This car is service by Ford dealer under purchased maintenance plan since we bought it new. There was no mention to service the intake/throttle body assembly, which is not serviceable. I understand this car share same platform with Ford escape which had a recall on the throttle body assembly last year. I wonder this car mode should be recalled to fix the problem.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Oct 042014

Fusion 6-cyl

This car had a history of lost power/stall while driving on city and highways without any symptoms nor warnings. My particular concern was last week it lost power/stall while driving on multi-lane eb I-96 from detroit to grand rapids, mi, which we had to perform emergency evasive actions to get out of the busy highway traffic to avoid collision/accident that may result with personal injury or death. It had no symptoms nor warning. The car simple lost power reduce to idle speed at around 600 RPM. It failed to response to cruise control, gas pedal control. Mechanic determined that the cause likely the throttle body assembly or the mass airflow switch. Both of them are not serviceable parts and not relate to maintenance, wear or tear. This car had been serviced by Ford dealer since we bought it new. No advice or anything was given about this problem. I believe this is a manufacturer defect which has detrimental effect on safety that needs to be investigated. Thank you.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Sep 012014

Fusion

A wrench is displayed on the dash, and the engine loses power. The power is not restore until the car is turned off.

- Kokomo, IN, USA

Jul 172014

Fusion 4-cyl

Car jolted while cruising at 70 mph on the interstate, then went in to like a first gear and high RPM. All the dashboard gauges, lights and radio went off. Put in neutral and everything came back on and functioned. Put back in drive and the same issue with gear, speed, gauges, etc. Returned. Back in neutral so I could use my flashers and after coasting for a little bit the entire car shut down and would not come back on. Had to tow to a nearby dealership (54 miles away) where they are telling me the throttle body has failed and needs replaced.

- Saint Albans, WV, USA

Jul 172014

Fusion 4-cyl

Car jolted then went in to like a first gear with high RPM. All gauges went to zero and all dashboard things stopped, including radio. Put in neutral, all gauges returned to normal and all lights functioned. Put back in drive and the same issuer with gear, speed, gauges, etc. Returned. Back in neutral so I could use hazard lights but then the entire car shut down. Had to tow to a dealership where the are telling me the throttle body has failed and needs replaced.

- Saint Albans, WV, USA

Jul 112014

Fusion

Had throttle body replaced after multiple stalls at idle. Replacement throttle body still stalling engine at idle. Fortunate to not have it stall in motion.

- Bonaire, GA, USA

Jun 282014

Fusion

Several times over the past 3 years my 2007 Ford Fusion SE V6 would suddenly lose power. Engine would remain running but vehicle would not accelerate. Wrench light and engine light would illuminate when this occurs. Solution is to pull over and shut car completely off for 30 seconds and restart. Sometimes this would work for a few minutes or several 1000 miles before repeating again. I have had the car into the Ford dealer multiple times and they keep telling me they can not duplicate the problem. I have found 1000's of complaints online with the same issues for what appears to be a known issue at Ford with the throttle body assembly. I returned to the dealer with all of this information and was told the throttle body assembly would take weeks to get and that the replacement part is the exact oem part which has the same defect. Ford wants me to pay to replace a defective part with a defective part. The engine suddenly losing power is extremely dangerous if in high speed traffic the risk of a crash is even more of a concern. Why is Ford not fixing this issue on a recall? this is going to get people killed!

- Saint Cloud, MN, USA

Jun 212014

Fusion

When speeding up to pass someone on the highway the car revved up to almost 6K RPM and jerked violently into the next gear. The wrench light came on shortly after and the car was parked. The next morning the light was off until a short trip to the mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic diagnosed the car and got 2 error codes. Both showing transmission failure.

- Wasilla, AK, USA