2007 Ford Fusion drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Fusion:

2007 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 072014

Fusion 6-cyl

Upon driving the speed became erratic and the car slowed down very quickly requiring me to pullover quickly for fear of a rear end collision. At that time I saw the wrench light on my dash. I feel that is a hazard that should be corrected under the warranty or as a recall from Ford company. The wait for parts is almost a month, Ford should give a loaner car as I am afraid to drive my car in traffic. Thank you

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

May 112014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving to houston from san antonio on I10 and going the speed limit. Shortly after starting my drive I was shocked by a slight jerk and a "wrench" symbol appear. I was in the center lane and hardly had any acceleration to move off the road. Eventually, I was able to get to the side of the highway, turn off my car and turn it back on. It allowed me to drive about 5 min before happening again. I ended up pulling of the road 8 times until I just decided to call aaa and pay additional fees to tow my car into houston. It was scary and def. A safety hazard for anyone experiencing this malfunction. I took the car to get a diagnostic and sure enough it's a throttle body failure. I drove today with no issues, but I am sure it will occur again very soon. Ford really needs to recall and think about their customer's safety.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 102014

Fusion

Very noticeable is the jerking of the car, especially when accelerating.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

Throttle body issue - confirmed since I just spent $930 at the Ford dealership to replace. Wife got in car at mall. First car would not start loose contact on terminal. She called me I jiggled wire, car started but you could push the pedal all the way down and only very slight power (wrench light on...). she parked the car as it would only go about 3 miles an hour and I turned it off and restarted the car to see if it would drive and it would not. Had to get it towed to planet Ford dealership who replaced the throttle body. The exact same issue had happened one week earlier but when I turned the car off and restarted the engine it ran fine. I had a mechanic do the codes the first time and it was throttle body and the Ford dealership did it the second time.

- Spring, TX, USA

Mar 142014

Fusion 4-cyl

After an engine light came on, I took my car to have the code read. The code that appeared was for the throttle body. After doing some research, I discovered that there was a recall for the throttle body for the Ford Fusion from 2009 -2012. My car was not included in the recall, but my throttle body according to the dealership is "erratic". I feel that the recall on the throttle body may need to be reexamined as my car, only two years older than those being recalled, is having the same issue. The part should not go bad that quickly. The car has less than 100,000 miles.

- Bowling Green, OH, USA

Oct 182013

Fusion

Vehicle is a daily drive, experienced tsb 13-4-17, PCM failure causing the ignition coils to burn out on cylinder 4. vehicle was towed to Ford dealership, where vehicle was repaired, at a cost of over $2000. Immediately after the vehicle had a howl and vibration, vehicle was taken to a local mechanic and diagnosed as a transfer case (ptu) failure, this was a few days after leaving the Ford dealership. My local mechanic replaced the ptu at a cost of $1000. Vehicle was fine from November 2013 till just this past week March 6 2014 where a leak of gear oil was found in the driveway, car was brought to local Ford dealership which confirmed a leak of the seal on the transfer case (ptu). Vehicle has been brought to local mechanic that made the repair. I find it unbelievable that since this vehicle has hit 100K miles that it is in need of constant repair. I have owned many Ford and have never had an issue like this. After much research I have found that these are common problems!! Ford needs to do something about this!! they claim to have reliable vehicles but this is not reliable, especially since I bought this car as a certified pre-owned from a Ford dealership in July of 2010 I only got 3 good years out of this vehicle. Its a shame cause its such a beautiful car and now I have nothing but mechanical issues.

- Center Moriches, NY, USA

Feb 072014

Fusion 6-cyl

Loss of power, car would not go, stuck in busy traffic, shifts very hard transmission slipping. This has happened about tree or four times now. Called dealer they say they are unaware of problem, but it is all over the internet everyone having problems. Took it in but cost me 400 because of course it is out of warranty. Reprogrammed my transmission but now shifts at a higher RPM causing lower fuel mileage. They are having problems with the throttle bodies going bad because this was a collaboration with Mazda. Very expensive repair. No way these should be going bad at 70K. They need to replace transmissions at their cost.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Feb 032014

Fusion 4-cyl

On Feb 19 2014 at 8:30 as I parked my 2007 Ford Fusion in my driveway I was unable to remove my key from the ignition. I noticed my steering wheel would not lock. Made sure the vehicle was in park and still the key would not turn all the way back so that the wheel could lock and key could be removed.I looked online to see hundreds of same problem with key getting stuck. And most of them had to do with gear shift silver button not releasing to let key turn all the way. Seeing these many same problem should warrant a recall to this problem.

- North Port, FL, USA

Dec 152013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on the highway the engine started to run rough and within a minute the engine quit and couldn't be restarted. Luckily I was able to coast to the side of the highway. The engine had the same fault as identified in NHTSA tsb-13-4-17. The PCM unit failed, causing damage to multiple on-plug ignition coils. I believe that the Ford tsb # for this problem is 06-18-15. This is a 6-cylinder engine. I believe this is a safety issue because of the sudden and complete onset of loss of power.

- Rockville Centre, NY, USA

Sep 212013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 72 mph, the vehicle began to vibrate and back fire. The engine was turned off however, the vehicle failed to restart and was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic informed the contact that the faulty PCM circuit board overheated and caused the four coils to melt. In addition, the catalytic converter was damaged. The vehicle was repaired excluding the replacement of the catalytic converter. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 93,100. Updated 11/07/13

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 262013

Fusion

Driving on highway at about 65 miles per hour, car stopped accelerating and when pressed the gas pedal car actually continued to slow down. Also has started to not accelerate from a stopped position. Have almost been hit from behind as I was not able to accelerate.

- Liberty, MO, USA

Jul 012013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while at a stop light, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Bay City , MI, USA

Jul 292013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while at a stop light, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Warrensburg , MO, USA

Jun 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

On June 1st my wife was on I-20 West of ruston, la traveling to monroe, la. The car suddenly lost power and had no response on the accelerator. She coasted to an exit and pulled over. The engine wrench light was on. She turned the car off and called me to come help.when I got there the car started and I drove it home without incident. I have since taken the car in to jim taylor Ford and was told the code indicated the problem came from the throttle body and it may have to be replaced. It has not happened again but I was told that other Fusion have had the same problem and some of the owners have elected to replace the throttle for safety. This could be a major problem in traffic if and when it a happens again. Something is faulty and Ford should fix this problem.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Feb 092012

Fusion 6-cyl

While passing another car my car lost power.I pressed the accelerator to the floor and nothing happen. I was almost hit head on by another on coming car. My certified Ford mechanic said it may be my throttle and I should replace it but he could not guarantee this would solve my problem. He said I was one many to have this problem with the 2007 Ford Fusion.

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Jun 262013

Fusion 4-cyl

Purchased the car in 02/07, in 12/08 crankshaft pulley failed, 2009 fuel injection pump failed, 02/2013 T-stat and cv joint failed. 06/26/13, transmission failed. Torque converter, pump, and seal all failed in the car 204 miles after warranty expired. Gear slippage, and complete transmission failure is a major issue on this car, and there are many complaints regarding this issue. Many complaints of transmission failures, replacements, or rebuilds on cars with as little as 36000 and up.

- Roseville, CA, USA

May 042011

Fusion 6-cyl

I have owned my Ford Fusion sel V6 since June of 2009. In may of 2011 my ac went out within minutes of being used. I had stopped at my house for a minute in between errands and the ac worked when I turned the car off. When I got back in to leave again the ac would not work. A few weeks after that, my driver side inside door handle broke and I am no longer able to open the door from the inside. Now in May 2013, my passenger side door handle is broken the same as the driver side and the two back door locks have to be locked from inside because they don't work from the remote. I have also been experiencing a loud humming sound that sounds like the tires. However, after having the car looked at, I have been told that it is a problem with my transmission (not my tires at all) I see here where many of these issues have been reported but nothing is being done about any of these issues by Ford. This is the first Ford I have owned and it is going to be the last. I am looking at getting a different car asap.

- Provo, UT, USA

Apr 152013

Fusion

In 2010 the PCM in our 2007 Ford Fusion went out and was replaced at a cost of approximately $1,300. Three years later while my wife and daughter was driving a very busy road, the lights on the dash board begin to light up which caused her to pull into a parking lot. Thankfully she noticed the blinking lights on the dash otherwise my family could've been hurt pretty bad in a car accident. We had the vehicle towed to the dealership to find out days later that once again the PCM had died and need to be replaced at a cost of approximately $3,000. Ford states the recall that was issued in 2007 was completed on the vehicle, however after reading the numerous complaints online, there needs to be another recall issued before several deaths occur due to this serious issue. The cost of the pair is ridiculous along with the amount of time that's required to wait on the part, which is two weeks. I'm asking that NHTSA to please recall Ford's vehicles for this recurring issue and going forward require Ford Motor Company to at minimum check the coils on their vehicles around 75,000 miles for potential PCM issues, it could save several lives.

- Wahiawa, HI, USA

Jun 012011

Fusion

SE V6 transmission. When pulling into a driveway to get rid of a tailgater in the city, I brought the car to a complete stop, then shifted the car into reverse after the other car had passed. I took my foot off the brake and put it on the accelerator, but got no response from the vehicle. I thought it had obeyed my command and shifted into reverse before I released the brake. The vehicle rolled backwards for about three seconds before the transmission actually shifted into reverse. This resulted in a loud bang since the car was already moving backwards at a couple miles per hour. This could have resulted in transmission damage.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jul 092012

Fusion

I purchased this car used approximately a month ago. While driving at lower speeds, around 30-40 mph the transmission will not shift out properly. Gears get stuck at 40 mph and car will not accelerate in traffic. This is an extreme safety hazard and liability. Engine light has not come on for this issue either. Ford needs to recall these vehicles and replace the transmissions before a death occurs and/or major lawsuits filed.

- Sevierville , TN, USA