2007 Ford Fusion engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Fusion:

2007 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 112012

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving using cruise control today going 60 mph on a highway with my 2007 Ford Fusion. All of a sudden, I felt the car jolt. I pressed the gas, but nothing happened as if the car was in neutral. I had to coast to the side of the road. I noticed that the warning light in the shape of a wrench was on. I turned off the car. When I turned it back on, the light was off and the car worked just fine. I looked up the description of the light in the owner's manual and it said it was related to a fault in the powertrain or throttle. I saw where several people have reported this exact problem with 2010 models of the Fusion. I just had to report that it happened on my 2007 model as well. I will be taking it in to get looked at. This is very dangerous. I could have wrecked or caused an accident because I could not control the speed of my car at the time. Someone will be killed if this problem is not resolved and a recall issued. I was really scared. There needs to be a recall. I will not be using cruise control until I am confident that my car is completely fixed.

- Rice Lake, WI, USA

Oct 012008

Fusion

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that upon shifting into reverse with the brakes depressed, the vehicle surged backward until shifted into park. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, but they were unable to diagnose the failure. The failure recurred on an intermittent basis. The contact also stated that in the early stages, the failure only occurred when the heater was activated. Over time, the failure progressed and began to occur when the air conditioner was activated until the failure progressed to a sporadic failure. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer but again, they were unable to diagnose the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Redlands, CA, USA

Mar 232009

Fusion

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 30 mph she engaged the brake pedal and the vehicle began to accelerate and lunge forward. When she applied pressure to the brakes, the vehicle stopped; yet, when she released the brake pedal, the vehicle accelerated. She stated that this was an on going failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they installed a device to capture the failure. The dealer replaced the throttle body but she stated that she was still experiencing the failure. The vehicle was being repaired when the complaint was filed. She also stated that for the past year whenever she shifted gears into park the rpms increased up to 4,000-5,000. The failure mileage was 22,212 and the current mileage was 35,800.

- Rensselaer, NY, USA

Feb 152009

Fusion

The engine began intermittently revving/accelerating after the car was placed in park, although nothing is near or touching the gas pedal. After turning the car off and restarting, engine idle returns to normal. The engine speed has increased from under 1000 RPM (normal) to 4000 RPM before I've shut the car off (it appeared that it would just keep increasing). Problem first occurred in Feb. 2009 and the car was brought to the dealer. The dealer found no computer codes and could not recreate the problem. The problem continued to occur roughly once or twice a month, each time under different circumstances (no easily identifiable trigger), until Oct. 2009, when I requested the dealer replace the throttle body. This repair seemed to work, but then again, in Jan. 2010, the engine revved on its own after the car was placed in park. My concern is that this problem will worsen and possibly occur while the car is in drive.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Mar 062010

Fusion

I previously thought it was just my operation, the floor mat interfering with the gas pedal, or my imagination as it had happened twice before over the last 18 months. However, the incident yesterday was quite evident without any other outside influence. I had been driving in our rural area using the cruise control of our Fusion. I tapped on the brake to disengage the control, and slowed to a stop sign. After traffic cleared I stepped on the accelerator pedal to cross the intersection. As I started to move, the pedal dropped noticeably from the sole of my shoe and the Fusion immediately accelerated at a rate greater than my desire and not under my control. I immediately disengaged the cruise control via the steering wheel on/off button and all operation resumed to normal.

- Applegate, MI, USA

Jan 242010

Fusion 6-cyl

When accelerating from 30 mph to 55 mph with the accelerator pedal to the floor, I released the accelerator at about 50 mph. The car continued at full throttle for about 5 more seconds while I moved my foot to the brake and began to attempt to slow the vehicle. The vehicle overshot the intended speed by about 20 mph before it began to slow down to the intended speed of 55 mph. This could have caused a rear end collision if there had been other traffic on the freeway bides the truck tailgating me when I was doing 30 mph. The vehicle is a 2007 Ford Fusion SE, V6 with automatic transmission.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Feb 082010

Fusion

I was driving my 2007 Fusion AWD in cruise control when forward motion stopped ( I was in the 3rd of 5 lanes in traffic) a trouble light came on. I pulled to side of road. Car would not move. Restarted car and everything reset and able to drive. Proceeded home 200 miles. It did it again about 5 miles from home rest. Dealership recalibrated module.

- Billerica, MA, USA

Feb 112009

Fusion

The vehicle does not respond to the commands of the driver in a timely fashion and the response is unpredictable. While waiting to make a left turn from a four lane undivided city street, a pedestrian crossed in front of me in a crosswalk. After the pedestrian had crossed, I proceeded to make a left turn but the pedestrian did not stop. Instead, he made a sudden turn to his right and proceeded across the crosswalk without looking. I stopped part way across the inside lane of oncoming traffic. The pedestrian stopped in the middle of the crosswalk, looked at me and waved while oncoming traffic approached. He then proceeded the rest of the way across the crosswalk. In order to avoid a head on collision from a car that turned left into the oncoming inside lane and raced toward me, I gave the accelerator a quick nudge part way down. The vehicle redlined the engine and burned rubber. The same input from the driver two days before when it was cold would have resulted in a sluggish response. I released the accelerator, and the vehicle continued to spin the tires on the dry pavement, propelling the car forward toward the pedestrian who was about one step from the sidewalk on the other side of the street. I barely managed to steer the vehicle away from the pedestrian and finish the turn with my foot off the accelerator. In general, the vehicle does not slow down for quite some time when I release the accelerator. The only way to slow down in a timely manner is with the brakes.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA