2009 Ford Fusion brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Fusion:

2009 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Dec 232016

Fusion

Brake pedal feels spongy after hard braking or during wet driving conditions. It has been reported to my servicing Ford dealer several times and they state that the brakes are performing to spec.

- New Market, TN, USA

Jul 042016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the brakes felt spongy and performed at half strength when the brake pedal was depressed. The dealer diagnosed that the brakes needed to be replaced and adjusted. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- New Franklin, WI, USA

Sep 292016

Fusion

I have experienced my brakes giving out while braking on slick surfaces such as road repair covers, as well as on rainy roads. I have slid through intersections when the light was red because the brakes wouldn't engage. After each of these occurances, the brakes are spongy, having to push them to the floor to even stop.this is a very dangerous situation to myself and other drivers. This has happened at least five times over the last three months. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help your investigation efforts. It's my hope that a recall will be issued for this problem. This problem has occured always while the vehicle was in motion, and has happened on a city street, highway off ramp, and intersections.

- Kingston Springs, TN, USA

Dec 092016

Fusion

This has occurred several times over the past year with my 2009 Ford Fusion. When going over railroad tracks, hitting black ice and when pressing the brake pedal while driving over a small pothole. It has been in for service 3 times, and they can't find anything wrong with it. The most recent incident happen a few weeks before christmas. The mechanic told me not to drive it until he could look at it which happen to be after christmas. On this occurence, I hit a small patch of black ice and a small pothole while coming to a stop light, the ABS engaged and the brakes dropped to the floor and remained soft. This sounds like a real safety issue, please issue a recall! the mechanic again could not find a problem with anything and the brake pedal had returned to normal by the time he had it at the shop.

- Milan, MI, USA

Oct 012016

Fusion

While in the act of stopping for a red light on a bumpy & potholed road the brake system seemed to loose pressure. The brake pedal almost went all the way to the floor. This 70%-80% loss of braking power persisted until having a mechanic fix the ABS system in September 2016. Then sometime in October of the same year the exact same issue appeared in the exact same manner. Had the mechanic once again fix it. When the "mushy" pedal problem is persisting I have to take into account that now my car has about 80% less stopping power. Luckily no accident has occurred however the probabiliy for one certainly increased.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Nov 102015

Fusion

Have lost breaking when making turn and applying brakes on rough roads (in winter) the brake pedal went to the floor in order to stop and after quite some time the brakes would return to "normal" and then tis problem would reoccur, to date this has happened several times over a two and a half period, when taken into mechanic he could find no problem, he has suggested to replace the master cylinder, how ever I have never had a master cylinder fail and then fix itself and then fail over again and again, I believe it is the ABS control valve and I feel that this is not a normal wear issue, and that Ford should do a total recall to repair this "safety" issue.

- Gardner, MA, USA

Dec 182016

Fusion

On a slippery road, applied the brakes and the ABS came on. After that the brakes felt spongy. Mechanic said the brake fluid looks contaminated with metal flecks in brake fluid.

- Mount Vernon, WA, USA

Jul 052016

Fusion

During summer 2016, slammed on brakes and swerved left thus activating the ABS at highway speeds to avoid an accident with another vehicle that was changing lanes without looking, at which time, my brake pedal went to the floor and brakes lost stopping power. Car continued to have diminished braking with pedal traveling to floor and taking a lot of extra distance to stop. The next day it appeared to somewhat correct itself but pedal still had extended travel and spongy pedal. Took to mechanic who could not diagnose but thought it might be the ABS or master cylinder. Continued to drive with spongy pedal. Four months later, ABS activated after sliding on icy road, pedal again went to floor with little stopping power. The car would not stop within normal distance even on clear surface. Carefully drove it home and scheduled dealer appointment. Took car to two different Ford dealers because first estimate was so expensive, but both diagnosed problem as ABS hydraulic control unit. Replaced hcu and brakes are back to normal feel. Repair paperwork available upon request.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Oct 212016

Fusion

When pressing brake pedal at any speed the pedal goes all the way to the floor. When I took to dealer for repair they told me that the problem was due to master cylinder. I paid over $800 for repair but the problem persists. Now dealer is telling me it could be the ABS. They are asking for an additional $1000 to fix. Help me? I am continuing to drive the car.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Dec 102016

Fusion

I owned this car for about 18 months. During this time I noticed when using the brakes if the ABS system engaged the pedal would become soft and you had to push it hard and to the floor to get the car stopped. I had several close calls and one wreck that did minimal damage. My son also drive the car from time to time and complained of he same problem. On the morning of December 10,2016 he was on his way to take his act test and it's was in the low 20S. He topped a blind hill and there was a wreck just over the hill. He had to brake hard but the braking system failed and he ran into the wrecked vehicles. He hit so hard the airbag deployed and radiator busted. The car was a total loss. He is ok thank god but now I am left paying the car I lost off plus having to pay for another car because the braking system failed. Ford has put me in a bad financial situation and needs to recall these vehicles before someone loses their life! I loved my Fusion until I found out that Ford is to blame for these problems. I will never own another one. Nice car until someone gets hurt or even worse, killed because they have not been recalled.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 282016

Fusion

On 3 separate occasions my brakes have failed - twice I was turning a corner to the right - applied my brakes - pavement was rough - I heard a thud like noise and the brakes were all but gone - brake pedal went clear to the floor. The third time I was driving on snow packed/ icy road and the light turned red - it was a very slight downhill section -.I didn't have any brakes - I tried pumping, the brake pedal went clear to the floor and then I had to just put both feet on the brake pedal as hard as I could - finally came to a stop in the intersection - if a car would have been in front of me I would not have been able to stop. I was driving at a safe speed for the road conditions. I have had the car to the mechanic twice now and what he's doing is not fixing the problem.

- Parker, CO, USA

Oct 192016

Fusion

Several times, since we've owned this car, the ABS system has kicked in. If this happens when the car is on ice or snow, everything is fine and brakes return to normal. However, if the ABS system kicks in and the car is on a rough road/surface, then the brakes go "soft" after and remain that way for up to weeks at a time. I was driving on a neighborhood side street, late for an appointment and was doing about 35 in a 25 zone, and suddenly I saw on the cross street, they had milled the asphalt. I braked hard to slow down for the trench I was going to cross over and the ABS kicked in. When I was back on normal road surface and was braking for a light, the pedal went to the floor, just stopping the car in time. I tried everything, pumping them up to bring it to a gradual stop, pushing slower on the pedal and slamming on the pedal, they remained soft and I had 0 confidence that my car would stop on time in an emergency. My mechanic had my car for more then 3 days, bleed the lines, no change, replaced the master pump, no change ( I ended up leaving the new master pump on since it's 7 years old and has over 100,000 miles on it) and re-bleed the lines a second time, no change. Over a period of time, they finally came back to full pressure. I googled Fusion brake problems and was surprised to find many entries referring to the same problem, that being on a "rough road" and ABS kicking in, soft brakes ensued. I will find all of my receipts and have more precise info in a week or two. Rich biro.\

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Sep 012016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. While driving over a wet railroad crossing, the ABS sensor suddenly illuminated. When depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle did not immediately stop. The brake pedal traveled to the floor and the stopping distance was extended. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Dec 122016

Fusion

Had to press my brake pedal all the way to the floor to get the car to stop. Took car in to dealer 12-21-2016 and was told the brakes were now properly working. The brake problem started when I went over a speed bump on my street about 2 weeks ago. The car was in motion. I now feel unsafe driving this car.

- Unionville, CT, USA

Dec 272016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. While driving 40 mph and depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Oxford, NC, USA

Dec 072016

Fusion

Brakes have gone soft after braking hard while driving on the highway in wet conditions on three separate occasions. Cannot get Ford to take responsibility and correct the problem.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 222016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. When the brake pedal was depressed, it traveled to the floorboard. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the brake line needed to be flushed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was approximately 107,919.

- Melvindale, MI, USA

Apr 082016

Fusion

Soft brake peddle after hitting bump in highway. Peddle to floor and had to pump hard to get the car to stop. Finally stopped in the intersection. Has occurred on 4 occasions over a 2 year period. Braking finally improves after a short period of time. Was in a 45 mph speed zone near home on 3 of the occurrences.

- Hampstead, NC, USA

Sep 142011

Fusion

ABS activates during braking over rough surfaces causing brake pedal to feel spongy and soft afterwards. Diminished brake performance after activation of ABS causing increased stopping distance. Bleeding of lines and ABS unit seems to improve brake performance slightly, but never to 100% I am an automotive technician with over 15yrs experience, and this is my personal vehicle. This has been an ongoing problem since I purchased this vehicle in 2011.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 122016

Fusion

Had to press my brake pedal all the way to the floor to get the car to stop. Took car in to dealer on 12-21-1016 and was told the brakes were now properly working. The brake problem started with I went over a speed bump on my street about 2 weeks ago. The car was in motion. I now feel unsafe driving this car.

- Unionville, CT, USA