2009 Ford Fusion brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Fusion:

2009 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 302016

Like so many others, I experience a low/soft brake pedal. Brakes have been replaced, lines bled, leaks checked for. The problem is clearly the malfunctioning ABS hydraulic module, described in this youtube video. Https:// this is a safety issue for which car owners should not be held liable. A recall should be ordered.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 292016

Anti lock brake system failed at 80,000 miles and when they went to repair it the drivers side door mechanism failed and froze shut

- Port Angeles, WA, USA

Sep 102016

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 40 mph, the brakes seized without warning. The contact had to pull over to the side of the road. The vehicle was driven home and taken to the dealer the following day where it was diagnosed that the anti-lock brake system failed and needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact also stated that the failure occurred three other times. The approximate failure mileage was 130,026.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Aug 302016

While turning my brake pressure dropped. When this happened I pushed the pedal down and had almost no brake pressure. This happened on two occasions in different months. No lights (ABS) came on. It became very challenging to stop, and I was concerned I was unable to stop. I almost hit the car in front of me the second time. My car is currently at the Ford dealership because I can not get the brake pressure back by pumping the pedal. The car is unsafe to drive. After researching on NHTSA I was surprised to find there was no safety bulletin or recall as there are about 26 other similar complaints. Ford should take this very seriously as it is a massive safety issue.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Aug 212016

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 25 mph, the brakes failed without warning. The brake pedal traveled to the floorboard when depressed. The failure occurred one other time. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Shirley, NY, USA

Aug 192016

Of a sudden, brake pedal went all the way to the floor and the car almost didn't stop. There was no warning, and the brakes had worked perfectly just minutes before entering the interstate. There are 65 complaints on file for exactly this, at - almost all show misdiagnosis by Ford dealerships and repair shops.

- Rosenberg, TX, USA

Aug 032016

I was driving at 40 mph on the highway in rain, ABS kicked in because the car started sliding, brake pedal vibrated and after it stopped the brake pedal feels loose. I have to push the pedal almost all the way to the floor for brakes to engage. I've tried pumping my brakes but it's been a week since it occurred and I've experienced no change. I took it to a Ford dealership and was told the master cylinder needs to be replaced but they seemed so clueless I feel like it was just their best guess. I've researched the problem and I've found out that hundreds of people are wasting money on their cars trying to fix the same issue I'm having. I've recently received the airbag recall notification on my car and now a problem with my brakes has occurred. I don't feel safe in my car anymore and I hope Ford will take notice to the hundreds of complaints about the brake system.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jul 012016

In motion. City & highway. Intermittent ABS failure. Brake pedal goes to floor resulting in no brakes. Does not pump up while in motion. Common problem with many complaints on internet. Sticking dump valve in hydraulic control system. Happened several times last 18 months.

- Ottumwa, IA, USA

Jun 152016

In the past year and a half, on at least 4 occasions, the brakes became very mushy following anytime the anti lock brakes have activated. The ABS was activated when coming to a stop in slippery conditions and on loose gravel. Afterwards the brake pedal nearly goes to the floor in order to stop the car. This usually lasts for a day before the brakes return to normal. I have inquired about this issue with a local Ford dealer, but they had no experience with this situation and could not provide any remedy. A search of the internet found several people reporting the same problem with their Fusion (not all 2009 model year). No one reported a fix for the problem.

- Friedens, PA, USA

Oct 152014

2009 Ford Fusion sel V6 I am having issues with the ABS system. The brakes are soft and really only activate when pushed almost to the floor. The issue started at about 75000 miles. I have replaced the brakes, bleed and replaced brake fluid, no leaks, checked calipers and master cylinder. The problem is the ABS hydraulic control system. When replacement of the fluid and brakes the problem resolved until I made a sharp turn to the right and had wheel slip. ABS activated and from that point on it lost most braking ability. After much research I have found this is a common problem among many small Ford manufactured vehicles. This is a very dangerous problem as it has caused countless near misses in my car. Ford knows of the issue and that it disables the ABS system but will not fix the problem. It does however offer to replace the part for over $1000.

- French Lick, IN, USA

Jun 142016

ABS control module valve sticking. The 1st event happened during the winter when driving in snow and the ABS system engaged. After the event the pedal would go almost all the way to the floor before the brake would engage. After re-creating an intentional brake slide causing the ABS system to engage again the valve became "unstuck" and has been fine for a year. But, once again on a dirt road the ABS system engaged due to braking on gravel. One of the valves is stuck again and recreating the event making the ABS system re-engage has not cured the problem. This is a safety issue and with 1500 miles to drive home while on vacation is going to be a white knuckler. It's hard to think that we have to spend $1000 for a repair that will only last until the ABS system is needed again and another valve sticks! this is a faulty part design and should be recalled and replaced with a dependable part.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Jun 082016

Several times in the last 3 months, including today, when the ABS starts, it looses breaking ability. I almost wrecked the vehicle into the gas pump this morning after starting to break off the highway, coming into the station, the right front time lost it's grip after going over a rain grate, the ABS then kicked in and all the sudden mush for brakes. It is only ever corrected after you stop the car, put in park, turn off engine for several minutes and restart. Brakes are worthless until the car is "reset."

- Round Hill, VA, USA

May 012013

3 issues: I saw someone else post this- my break pedal is also soft and goes all the way down to the floor after antilock breaks are engaged (like on icy or wet roads). There is no other time this occurs- as it's the breaks, I've been very mindful of it. I have also had the breaks replaces so I don't think it's actually the breaks but rather somewhere within the breaking mechanics. Second, only when turning left, I get a "clunk" sound at about 1/4 of the way thru the turn. I thought the sound was coming from rear left axle area- but I honestly cannot isolate its origin. The third is my most hated: The rear of the drivers seat is breaking down- almost as though there's a framework of soldered metal inside in the core of the seat and the soldering is snapping apart. One of these days I'm going to fall back when the rear backrest completely breaks. I absolutely hate this- I have never had to buy a replacement seat before and I've owned Ford/Mercury products for 35 years.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

May 032016

I was parking my 09 Fusion at my son's preschool, and was almost stopped in the spot, when my car violently and unexpectedly accelerated forward up over a 4 inch curb. I pressed on the brake as hard as I could, but it was the tree that I hit that stopped me. There was no damage to the car, but I had both my children (4 years old and 11 months old) in their car seats with me at the time. This is the second time it has happened while parking. Both times I was going less that 10 mph and was almost at a complete stop when the car unexpectedly lurched forward. Will not put my children back in this vehicle until this problem is fixed; is not drive-able.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Oct 122015

Driving in city traffic, I was turning left and hit a rough patch of road. The car in front of me stopped because of road construction, when my Fusion hit the rough patch due to the construction and I applied my brakes, the pedal was very soft, going down to the floor board causing a car accident. Called Ford corporate office and gave V I N info, no recall has been issued as of today's date. Happen again existing freeway, had to pump the brake pedal several times to get the car to stop. Both times occurred in 2015, hasn't happen since. Read on the internet about hydraulic control valve, describes exact circumstance that happen to me. Hope to god they recall this part.

- Glendora, CA, USA

Feb 052016

I was driving along about 25 mph and had to stop at a turn on a metal plate and the ABS pulsed because the plate was slippery. After the ABS pulsed the brake pedal went soft and had to be pushed to the floor to stop the car, with no brakes until the pedal got to the floor. It remained this way for several blocks then returned to normal after pumping the brake and turning the car off and on. Bonnell Ford dealer ran diagnostics and it pulled no codes so they told me there was nothing wrong. 4 months later I was driving on a snowy rode about 25 mph and swerved while braking to avoid a downed tree. ABS pulsed and again the pedal went to the floor, and the brake remained soft after the ABS event. Again no brake pedal feel and the brake has to be pushed to the floor to engage at all. It remained this way after pumping and restarting the car. Immediately brought it to the Ford dealer with the brake still soft, and told them to replace the hcu. They ran the same diagnostics but did not address or acknowledge the soft brake pedal and diminished braking, advised against replacing the hcu, returned it to me saying there was no problem because it was not pulling codes. Bonnell Ford and Ford Motor Company customer service has told me to keep driving it with the faulty brakes and keep taking it back to the dealer. Customer service told me to take it to more Ford dealers to get more opinions, even though I told them it was not safe to drive because of the diminished braking.

- Stoneham, MA, USA

Jan 242016

In three separate incidents now, spanning approximately March 2015-January 2016, the brake pedal in this vehicle has gone soft down to the floor with minimal braking power directly after the ABS engaged. The first occurred on wet roads at approximately 45mph, the second in normal conditions on the highway stopping for sudden traffic, and the third on snowy roads at approximately 25mph. For two of these times it was necessary to swerve off the road to avoid collision as the car came to a stop very slowly. The brakes would only return to seemingly normal if I was able to pull the car over, put it in park, and pump the brakes. Mechanic has not been able to find anything wrong thus far. From doing a bit of research, this appears to not be an uncommon issue, and most suggest that it is an issue with the hydraulic control unit when the ABS engages. If this is the case, I do not want to replace it with another potentially faulty unit with the high expense but it is unnerving to drive a car with such safety issues in the braking system.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Dec 142015

ABS fails to reset after they activat from a slick road conditions

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Dec 042015

I experienced reduced and uneven braking action after the activation of the ABS system during a hard stop on a city street at approximately 30 mph while turning right. The vehicle was taken to a shop, and they could not find any mechanical problems. A web search indicated similar issues specific to Ford Fusion and similar Ford vehicles of this vintage related to a failure in the ABS hydraulic control unit. I contacted a Ford dealership, and they confirmed that this is a known problem and said it is a common failure mode for my scenario. Before I was able to get the car to the shop, I had several times that I needed to make harder than usual stops. Braking required pumping of the pedal to get needed braking action. The braking action was uneven causing the car to swerve, and it appears the ABS system no longer would activate. No indicator lights illuminated to signify mechanical failure. I consider the car not safe to drive in current state. Repairs are pending.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Sep 202015

After stopping on slippery pavement, or sometimes just hitting a pot hole or bump the brakes fail. The next time you press the brake pedal it goes to the floor and has to be pumped up, just to regain any stopping power. The brakes stay in this state feeling soft and going to the floor until you make a very hard stop forcing the ABS to engage, sometimes it takes several attempts before the brakes return to normal. We have three Ford Fusion in the family, one 2008 and two 2009 models, and all three of them have had this issue at least once. I have also spoken to other Fusion owners and every one of them has had this brake issue.

- Louisville, KY, USA