2009 Ford Fusion brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Fusion:

2009 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 052016

Fusion

Immediately after a braking situation where the ABS system was activated, my brake pedal had almost no resistance and it went all the way to the floor to achieve moderate braking. Had to shift to park and pump the brakes to get back some resistance. If I had needed to do additional braking in this scenario I would assume I would have crashed due to lack of braking ability. Car has 72000 miles on it currently and this problem has been experienced probably 5 times in the past year. After maybe 20 minutes of additional stop and go driving, the brakes appear to be normal. This happened on a city street and the ABS was activated due to braking when tire went over a smooth metal manhole cover.

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Nov 022015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. While driving at any speed, the vehicle drove over a bump. The contact depressed the brake pedal and it traveled to the floorboard before the vehicle stopped. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The failure was duplicated; however, the vehicle was not diagnosed. The failure recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 202016

Fusion

Summer of 2016 the warning light for air bag came on. Oct 20 2016 took the car into dealership. They had the car for two days, never mentioned any recall, needed the car for the weekend, they wanted me to pay for the part in advance before ordering it. Do not recall how warning light appeared on the the dash board.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Oct 032016

Fusion

In situations where a driver is braking and your ABS becomes enabled, there is a chance that valves inside the hydraulic control unit (hcu) may stick, greatly reducing pressure sent to the caliper/brake. The valves may continue to be stuck until either the ABS is reengaged or until the valves unstick themselves, between periods of hours or weeks. While the valves are stuck, brake peddles will feel extremely spongy and are required to be pressed to the floor to actually have the desired effect of slowing the car. Even when pressed all the way down, the effects of braking are severely diminished when compared to properly working brakes. Reduced braking effectiveness is obviously extremely dangerous for drivers and could, even during clear conditions, cause an accident. Replacement of the hcu costs several hundred dollars and is ultimately a temporary fix, as the issue will eventually reoccur.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Oct 122016

Fusion

Brakes go to the floor at different speeds greatly increasing stopping distance and poses significant safety concerns. Brake hcu (hydrolic control unit) /ABS system malfunction poses issues with bumps in the road, and braking while turning even at slow speeds. Brakes return to normal after being pumped and no other malfunctions with brake system (brake booster/master cylinder/brake pads, calipers, brake fluid) operating normal after ase dealership master mechanics can be identified. Occurs in city streets, driveway, parking lots.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 062016

Fusion 6-cyl

The ABS hydraulic unit failed while driving after hitting a small bump in the road causing the brake pedal to go to the floor which resulted in poor braking action nearly causing an accident.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Sep 222016

Fusion

I own a 2009 Ford Fusion sel with the 3.0 engine. I have a problem with the brakes. The brake pedal is very sponge, I have replaced pads, calipers, and the master cylinder. This has not taken care of the problem, I have reviewed other information and it seems this is a very common problem. Ford has not done anything about it. I have researched more of this problem and the only thing left is the ABS pump and motor. My research shows this has taken care of the problem, the cost to do this is approximately $1500. Plus labor cost. I have not had any close call accidents as some of the other complaints. This is and could be a accident waiting to happen. This problem occurs all the time while driving.

- St Johns, MI, USA

Sep 302016

Fusion

Like so many others, I experience a low/soft brake pedal. Brakes have been replaced, lines bled, leaks checked for. The problem is clearly the malfunctioning ABS hydraulic module, described in this youtube video. Https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=0R46_unyyk8 this is a safety issue for which car owners should not be held liable. A recall should be ordered.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 292016

Fusion

Anti lock brake system failed at 80,000 miles and when they went to repair it the drivers side door mechanism failed and froze shut

- Port Angeles, WA, USA

Sep 102016

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 40 mph, the brakes seized without warning. The contact had to pull over to the side of the road. The vehicle was driven home and taken to the dealer the following day where it was diagnosed that the anti-lock brake system failed and needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact also stated that the failure occurred three other times. The approximate failure mileage was 130,026. Updated 11/01/16

- Livonia, MI, USA

Aug 302016

Fusion

While turning my brake pressure dropped. When this happened I pushed the pedal down and had almost no brake pressure. This happened on two occasions in different months. No lights (ABS) came on. It became very challenging to stop, and I was concerned I was unable to stop. I almost hit the car in front of me the second time. My car is currently at the Ford dealership because I can not get the brake pressure back by pumping the pedal. The car is unsafe to drive. After researching on NHTSA I was surprised to find there was no safety bulletin or recall as there are about 26 other similar complaints. Ford should take this very seriously as it is a massive safety issue.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Aug 212016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 25 mph, the brakes failed without warning. The brake pedal traveled to the floorboard when depressed. The failure occurred one other time. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Shirley, NY, USA

Aug 192016

Fusion

Of a sudden, brake pedal went all the way to the floor and the car almost didn't stop. There was no warning, and the brakes had worked perfectly just minutes before entering the interstate. There are 65 complaints on file for exactly this, at carcomplaints.com - almost all show misdiagnosis by Ford dealerships and repair shops.

- Rosenberg, TX, USA

Aug 032016

Fusion

I was driving at 40 mph on the highway in rain, ABS kicked in because the car started sliding, brake pedal vibrated and after it stopped the brake pedal feels loose. I have to push the pedal almost all the way to the floor for brakes to engage. I've tried pumping my brakes but it's been a week since it occurred and I've experienced no change. I took it to a Ford dealership and was told the master cylinder needs to be replaced but they seemed so clueless I feel like it was just their best guess. I've researched the problem and I've found out that hundreds of people are wasting money on their cars trying to fix the same issue I'm having. I've recently received the airbag recall notification on my car and now a problem with my brakes has occurred. I don't feel safe in my car anymore and I hope Ford will take notice to the hundreds of complaints about the brake system.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jul 012016

Fusion

In motion. City & highway. Intermittent ABS failure. Brake pedal goes to floor resulting in no brakes. Does not pump up while in motion. Common problem with many complaints on internet. Sticking dump valve in hydraulic control system. Happened several times last 18 months.

- Ottumwa, IA, USA

Jun 152016

Fusion

In the past year and a half, on at least 4 occasions, the brakes became very mushy following anytime the anti lock brakes have activated. The ABS was activated when coming to a stop in slippery conditions and on loose gravel. Afterwards the brake pedal nearly goes to the floor in order to stop the car. This usually lasts for a day before the brakes return to normal. I have inquired about this issue with a local Ford dealer, but they had no experience with this situation and could not provide any remedy. A search of the internet found several people reporting the same problem with their Fusion (not all 2009 model year). No one reported a fix for the problem.

- Friedens, PA, USA

Oct 152014

Fusion

2009 Ford Fusion sel V6 I am having issues with the ABS system. The brakes are soft and really only activate when pushed almost to the floor. The issue started at about 75000 miles. I have replaced the brakes, bleed and replaced brake fluid, no leaks, checked calipers and master cylinder. The problem is the ABS hydraulic control system. When replacement of the fluid and brakes the problem resolved until I made a sharp turn to the right and had wheel slip. ABS activated and from that point on it lost most braking ability. After much research I have found this is a common problem among many small Ford manufactured vehicles. This is a very dangerous problem as it has caused countless near misses in my car. Ford knows of the issue and that it disables the ABS system but will not fix the problem. It does however offer to replace the part for over $1000.

- French Lick, IN, USA

Jun 142016

Fusion

ABS control module valve sticking. The 1st event happened during the winter when driving in snow and the ABS system engaged. After the event the pedal would go almost all the way to the floor before the brake would engage. After re-creating an intentional brake slide causing the ABS system to engage again the valve became "unstuck" and has been fine for a year. But, once again on a dirt road the ABS system engaged due to braking on gravel. One of the valves is stuck again and recreating the event making the ABS system re-engage has not cured the problem. This is a safety issue and with 1500 miles to drive home while on vacation is going to be a white knuckler. It's hard to think that we have to spend $1000 for a repair that will only last until the ABS system is needed again and another valve sticks! this is a faulty part design and should be recalled and replaced with a dependable part.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Jun 082016

Fusion

Several times in the last 3 months, including today, when the ABS starts, it looses breaking ability. I almost wrecked the vehicle into the gas pump this morning after starting to break off the highway, coming into the station, the right front time lost it's grip after going over a rain grate, the ABS then kicked in and all the sudden mush for brakes. It is only ever corrected after you stop the car, put in park, turn off engine for several minutes and restart. Brakes are worthless until the car is "reset."

- Round Hill, VA, USA

May 012013

Fusion

3 issues: I saw someone else post this- my break pedal is also soft and goes all the way down to the floor after antilock breaks are engaged (like on icy or wet roads). There is no other time this occurs- as it's the breaks, I've been very mindful of it. I have also had the breaks replaces so I don't think it's actually the breaks but rather somewhere within the breaking mechanics. Second, only when turning left, I get a "clunk" sound at about 1/4 of the way thru the turn. I thought the sound was coming from rear left axle area- but I honestly cannot isolate its origin. The third is my most hated: The rear of the drivers seat is breaking down- almost as though there's a framework of soldered metal inside in the core of the seat and the soldering is snapping apart. One of these days I'm going to fall back when the rear backrest completely breaks. I absolutely hate this- I have never had to buy a replacement seat before and I've owned Ford/Mercury products for 35 years.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA