2009 Ford Fusion engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Fusion:

2009 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 122016

Fusion

My 2009 Ford Fusion would not crank, then when it did it idled rough and would not speed up. I had it towed to my Ford dealer who informed me that the throttle body had to be replaced. Even though Ford has a customer satisfaction program 13B17 and 13B03 that refers to my car, I was informed that my car was not covered. I'm glad that I was not driving the car at the time.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Dec 162015

Fusion

I had exited the highway & was stopped at a stoplight in the right hand turn lane. Cars were behind me. When it was my turn to go, the car would not accelerate for me to make the turn. The traction light, wrench light, and engine light came on. I pressed down on the accelerator to try to move the car out of the middle of the 4-lane intersection, but it moved at a snail's pace maybe 4 feet from the turn lane. The car did not have the power to turn or even make it to the side of the road. My car was perpendicular to the cars in the 4 other lanes. I'm thankful I wasn't hit. I turned off the car and restarted it, but the same lights came on, the car was shaky, and could not accelerate. The police pulled behind me and she called the tow truck. The tow truck took us to the Ford dealership. The Ford dealership said the electronic throttle body has to be replaced, and was the cause of my car problems today. The lady at the dealership said Ford has had problems with the electronic throttle body going out in Ford vehicles, including the kind I have- 2009 Ford Fusion.

- Salem, MO, USA

May 262015

Fusion

The contact owned a 2009 Ford Fusion. While at a stop, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into a ditch. The air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000. Updated 7/20/15

- Fort Dodge, IA, USA

May 112015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. While attempting to park, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle and crashed into the side of a building. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact mentioned that the vehicle accelerated to 40 mph. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 81,000.

- Manchester, TN, USA

Apr 022015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle hesitated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body was defective. The contact believed the failure might be related to a recent crash that occurred; however, this was not confirmed by the dealer. The failure mileage and the VIN were not available.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Dec 152014

Fusion 6-cyl

2009 Ford Fusion. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle acceleration issues. I was involved in a car accident on December 15th 2014 the car I own is a 2009 Ford Fusion sel. My accelerator got stuck on my car. I went online to see if there were any recalls on the vehicle and there was one. Updated 03/12/15

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 152014

Fusion 6-cyl

Business name: Ford Motor Company. Customer service division P.O.box 1904 dearborn, mi 48121 bus phone: 866-436-7332 email: Website: Ford Motor Company. Com names and addresses of any other businesses involved in your complaint: Transaction date: 12-15-2014 amount in dispute: N/a explanation of complaint: I was involved in a car accident on December 15th 2014 the car I own is a 2009 Ford Fusion sel.my accelerator got stuck my car I went ofnline to see if there was any recalls on the vehicle and there was one I contacted for customer service.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jan 082015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into a garage door and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 27,750.

- Gardener, MA, USA

Dec 182014

Fusion

While driving my Fusion which has had no mechanical issues up to this point slammed into 3rd gear followed by a rapid decrease in power and speed. The check engine light and wrench came on and pretty sure was in the" limp home" mode. Took it to get the codes read and P 2104 and P0607 were present.

- Rayville , MO, USA

Aug 102014

Fusion 4-cyl

On 8/10/2014, after pulling out of the driveway, we noticed a reduction in acceleration on our 2009 Ford Fusion. The check engine light came on and upon taking the vehicle to autozone, the codes P2112 and P2104 showed up indicating a defect with the throttle body. Upon researching the internet we found the NHTSA action number PE13003 which indicated that there was a problem with this part on 2009-2013 Fusion and that Ford would cover the repair when the problem occurred. We took the car to southway Ford in san antonio on Monday, 8/11/2014. On Friday, 8/15/2014, the Ford service advisor indicated that the problem truly was the throttle body, but we were told that Ford would not pay for this repair. We have brought this to the attention of the service manager at southway Ford and to the corporate customer relations department at Ford. Obviously, there is a defect in this part, which causes a potential life-threatening safety hazard but Ford does not seem to acknowledge it and take responsibility for correcting the problem.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 282014

Fusion

While merging onto a freeway my car experienced a sudden loss of power while driving. Shortly afterwards my check engine light came on and I took it to the dealer to see what it was. It was a bad catalytic converter I was told that it would take 4 weeks to get one in. Meanwhile it being my only car I asked and was denied a loaner vehicle from Ford Motor Co. And I was told that the vehicle was still safe to drive as long as I did not let it goo too long without the repair. I called back 4 weeks later and was told that it would be an additional 4-8 weeks as there were "no" parts to be found anywhere. This worried me greatly as they even said problems could arise if driven too long without being fixed. So I filed a complaint with Ford Motor Company and was treated like crap by them. They told me they were willing to help but "not" willing to do anything. So I called a local news station who put me in touch with their executive offices where I got the same response. No loaner vehicle and no compenstaion for the extra gas I had to buy as it sucked it down. Whenever someone from Ford's calls me I am lucky to get a sentence in before they hung up on me! thankfully to my contacting a local news station they made enough headway with Ford that my part "finally" arrived today on 07/28/14 but I am extremely upset that Ford would put me in the situation where myself and my family could be in danger by driving an automobile that is not safe. Driving with bad catalytic converters is not safe and could cause all sorts of other issues and the fact that Ford's encouraged me to do so is frightening. This for one along with the GM issues has me seriously thinking of buying a foreign automobile for the first time ever. It was wrong what Ford Motor Company did to myself and my family and I hope that this complaint will prevent them from doing this again in the future!

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Jan 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Slowed down to turn in a parking lot and car just stalled and check engine light and tool light came on. I had a diagnostic rsn and got code 2104 & 2112 meaning throttle body failure.

- Durham, NC, USA

Dec 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

Replaced vehicle battery on 12/30/2013. Check engine light came on before the car was even removed off of the auto center premises. Service center ran vehicle diagnostics check and reported P2112 error indicating an issue with throttle body. Ford dealer ship said the throttle body needs to be replaced which isn't cheap. Faulty electronic throttles are causing these problems.

- Novi, MI, USA

Oct 272013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the wrench warning indicator. After several minutes, the engine was restarted and resumed normally until the failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. A redesigned throttle body was installed in the vehicle at the owner's expense. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 14,957. Updated 12/23/13

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Oct 252013

Fusion 4-cyl

According to my mechanic and the tech's from a local Ford dealership the problem stems from a faulty electronic throttle body which is controlled by the onboard computer system (engine control module). The fault prompts the car to go into a "limp home" mode or reduced power mode which in turn causes the car to act as though it's running out of gas. From a driving perspective, it has put me in a few precarious traffic situations.

- Stevens, PA, USA

Aug 252012

Fusion

I had a history of recurring problems with my 2009 Fusion. The battery died over and over again, causing me to finally replace it. The car constantly threw errors regarding low tire pressure. But the largest problem happened when we were driving down a two-lane highway at roughly 55 mph and the steering wheel suddenly became unresponsive and locked, causing us to hit first the concrete divider on one side of the highway and ricochet across and hit the metal safety rail on the other side. The car was unresponsive to braking. The car hit head-on both times and was completely totaled. I remember frantically trying to open the doors because I was sure was about to explode. This is an incredibly frightening experience for me because there was literally nothing we could have done to prevent it. We weren't speeding. There was no inclement weather. No one was distracted by their phone or the radio. No one fell asleep. A driver behind us who stopped described how the car just suddenly veered out of control. It is difficult to describe the terror you feel when you are behind the wheel of a car that has completely stopped responding to anything you do. It is scary to think how easily we could have crashed through the metal guardrail and fallen to our deaths, yet there isn't even a recall in effect. I am so extremely lucky that no other car was involved in the accident, but this is incredibly dangerous.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Jun 032012

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact stated was entering a parking space at 10 mph when the brakes were applied but the vehicle accelerated abnormally. The contact crashed into a rail and the vheicle was destroyed. The contact sustained minor injuries. A police report was filed and the vehicle was towed to a auto body repair shop. The dealer was notifiedof the issue and informed the contact to have the vehicle towed to the dealer for inspection of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- South Pasadena, CA, USA

Dec 082010

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 35 mph the brake pedal was engaged and the vehicle continued to accelerate. The vehicle came to a stop after applying pressure to the brakes several times. The identical failure occurred on a separate occasion and in order to stop the vehicle, the gear was shifted into neutral in combination with the brake pedal engaged forcefully. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated the failure could possibly be related to the driver's side floor mat. The contact was in disagreement with the dealer and planned to notify the manufacturer concerning the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000. Updated 11/03/11 updated 11/16/11

- Fair Haven , VT, USA

Jan 042011

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion sel. While driving approximately 65 mph, the contact stated that she applied pressure to the brakes when the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning followed by a loud popping noise. She attempted to place the vehicle into neutral gear and pulled the emergency brake, after driving four miles she was able to gain control of the vehicle and shut it off. The contact did not inform the dealer or the manufacturer. The failure was not diagnosed by a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The current and failure mileages were 13,920.

- Williamstown, WV, USA

Dec 242010

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact was driving approximately 20 mph when the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact placed the transmission lever into neutral and shut off the vehicle. She was able to restart the vehicle and drive at a very low speed until she reached home when she began to smell smoke. The dealer was notified and the contact was awaiting an investigation. The contact did not inform the manufacturer nor was the vehicle repaired. The current mileage was 5,781 and the failure mileage was 5,773. Updated 05/05/11

- Chicago, IL, USA