8.1

$1,932.00

2. Ford should repair for free (2 reports)
  3. replace steering assembly (2 reports)
  4. replaced rack (1 reports)
  5. steering rack was replaced (1 reports)
2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments

Oct 132014

Fusion SEL 3.0L V6

Second time this has happened, had it fixed... had it reset and still I'm about to crash this bitch into Ford.

- , San Diego, TX, USA

Jul 082014

Fusion SEL 4 cyl

Second occurrence: Still in the garage, turned the engine on. Chime and same message -- power steering failure. Turned the engine off, then restarted. Ran OK. Again. For a while. See my next complaint.

- , Brook Park, Ohio, USA

Jul 232014

Fusion SEL 4 cyl

This is my third complaint about the power steering failure. This one scared the Hell out of me! Driving on the turnpike, 70 mph in the center lane. Suddenly, the chime and the same message. NO POWER STEERING. Barely made it to the right hand berm. Turned the engine off, then on. Everything OK, again! Supposing I had been trying to pass someone with a concrete wall on my left? I, (and another dozen cars), could have been involved in a horrific accident.

Talked to a service advisor-- he said this problem does not leave any information in the car's computer. So when I turn it off, there is no record of what went wrong. So they can't fix it!

Wrote an email to Ford, told them the entire story. Just received a phone call from "Jimmy" at 866-631-3788. He said the same thing. He also said they don't have ANY complaints about this from anyone else. I Googled "power assist failure, Ford 2011 Fusion" and found a computer full of the same complaints. Don't you think Ford could Google the same thing?

Now I know they don't give a damn. I've been a Ford buyer since 1961. Never again. So what do I do now? Pass this off to an unsuspecting buyer and hope they are not killed? Question: MY piece of Ford craftsmanship was made in Mexico. I wonder if the other problems are related.

- , Brook Park, Ohio, USA

Jun 112014

Fusion SEL V6

I could repeat my problem with the steering but I see it all over here and other sites .....I would like to know if there is a class action lawsuit in Virginia for this? I notice one going on in California. Can you be part of an out of state lawsuit?

- , Marshall, VA, USA

Jun 252014

Fusion SEL V6

The Power Steering Assist Fault light came on at a low rate of speed entering highway during rush hour. After 1/2 mile of white knuckle driving trying to control it, I managed to exit the highway. Turned off the car for about 10 min and restarted. Warning light disappeared and power steering returned. After researching this issue, I am not confident this won't happen again. Anyone know the fix for this issue?

- , Midlothian, Texas, USA

Jun 202014

Fusion S 3.2L

I have only had my Fusion for 6 months, bought it with only 44,000 miles on it, and the Power Steering Assist Fault light has come on twice now, while driving the wheel goes stiff and very hard to turn. I'm not happy about this. I got this car because I needed a reliable car, and this isn't what I call reliable.

- , Scott City, MO, USA

May 132014

Fusion SE

Purchased 2011 Ford Fusion for my 19 and 14 year old sons to get to and from school. I work 7pm to 7 am so I wanted my children in a newer more reliable vehicle that I thought would be safe. This Found On The Road Dead car's steering went out while both of my boys were coming home from school (oldest had just picked up youngest). My son lost steering and just avoided a collision. I am lucky my boy drives sensibly and was not on a freeway but in a school zone. Ford doesn't think this is a recall able issue. I disagree given they've recalled four vehicles 2 from Ford 2 from Mercury with steering "Power Steering Assist Failures" this is the message I noted in the driver panel.

I believe in supporting small businesses, keeping the jobs in America...but I work very hard for my money and want a quality product. This isn't what I paid for.

- , Granada Hills, CA, USA

Jun 182014

Fusion SE 2.5L

I started my car, headed for work. it was a rainy 6 am. After buckling seat belt, clearing windshield and other things that must be done before starting my 50 minute drive to work, I noticed the steering wheel was very hard to turn. there was a light on the dash that is not usually there. being 6 am I assumed the engine had died and I needed to restart the car which I did. everything went fine after that until June 20.

On June 20 I had driven my usual 50 minutes to work, had several other errands to run. while driving on a very busy street my power steering quit. I was given a message that said service power steering now followed by a message that said advancetrac failed. I was able to pull the car into a parking lot I turned the car off and restarted after restart the problem went away/ This happened 4 times on June 20. I googled the problem and found this website. My steering has not quit since June 20. This is a very dangerous problem.

- , Gainesville, Florida, USA

Jun 162014

Fusion SE 4 cyl

I can't believe Ford will not take responsibility for this error. So many customers have complained so how many more have to in order for something to be done. Or how many people have to actually get hurt or God forbid get killed. Should not have to have a warranty to cover this faulty issue.

We make Ford what they are by buying their cars and this is the thanks. You mean to tell me a 3 yr old car has this issue and Ford will not take responsibility? I may as well drive a German car if I'm going to face issues like this from an American made car. When to Ford dealership and first thing said is are booked and it will be $17.00 diagnostics. Such a waste, other Ford cars are being recalled for the same issue, OK, why not Fusion?..Ford, do the right thing and show loyalty to your customers.

- , Cary, NC, USA

Aug 032013

Fusion SEL 3.0L V6

2011 FORD FUSION sel.V6. power steering failure. I cannot believe the overwhelming amount of complaints I have read on many different websites about this problem and Ford has failed to take any steps to resolve this serious safety issue. This happened to my wife while driving with our children. Total power steering failure. Just like all the other complaints I have read the message displays 'SERVICE POWER STEERING NOW'. The steering wheel was very tight which made it difficult to control. This is enough for me .NEVER again will I purchase a vehicle from Ford, Dodge, or GM. I have owned vehicles from all three and had nothing but trouble. Being a proud member of 5 different labor unions over the years I have always made the effort to support American based companies. This is a safety issue that needs resolved by Ford. I am in no way suggesting that the overseas competitors are better but something is seriously wrong. I know Toyota, and others have had their problems also but what choice do I have but to consider their products now. What a shame.

- , East Liverpool, OH, USA

Sep 042012

Fusion SE 3.0L V6

Twice on 9/4/2012, I lost power steering on my 2011 Ford Fusion SE. It also happened once before in August. As I recall, there was a bump in the highway (once when trying to avoid a chuckhole and the other time that day when turning from a country road onto a state road--neither time was I driving at an excessive speed). Each time when I pulled over and stopped the car and turned off the engine--then restarted the engine, the steering problem corrected. We found the problem disappeared the first time it occurred in August after we pulled into a parking lot, shut off the engine, and tried to find a reservoir for power steering (now we know it has electronic power steering)--we finally restarted the car. To our surprise, we were no longer driving a "log truck". On 9/4 we were on our way to a Ford dealership to have the oil changed. I brought up the problem to the Service Dept. The Service Manager said they hadn't heard of the problem (Ford must teach them how to lie!!!). This could have serious consequences if it happened in heavy traffic on the Interstate. Ford needs to get on the ball and recognize this problem; and find what's causing the loss of power steering. A recall is in order.

- , Mulberry, IN, USA

Jun 072013

Fusion SEL

I purchased my fusion with 33,000 miles, I havent' had it a year yet. About 2 months ago the "Power Steering Assist Failure" displayed and the wheel got extremly stiff. Once I pulled over and turned the vehicle off and checked under the hood I couldnt find the power steering fluid so I got back in the car turned it on and the display reset when I turned the car off, so the wheel was easy to move again. I thought it was a fluke and didnt think to much of it unitl it happend again a few weeks later. I contacted Ford to ask about the power steering fluid and about the message "Power Steering Assist Failure" they told me the power steering was electrical and that I would need to bring the car in so they could see if the car stored the code.. Well guess what the car did not store a code, I had to pay a fee to get my car back because they couldn't the car to act up and display the message again to get a code. They Service Manager told me to wait to bring it in until the "Power Assist Failure" message would not reset itself so they could figure out what the problem could be and it would take time. This should be a recall for Ford, parts shouldn't go out this soon!! I'm very disappointed and probably wouldn't consider another FORD vehicle.

I REGRET PURCHASING FORD

- , Longview, TX, USA

May 112013

Fusion ES 3.2L V6

As I was driving from Baltimore, MD into DC the icon light comes on along with the prompt the mileage window. I got a little scared because I didn't know what to expect. I made it home and turn off the car and parked at the curbside. I restarted the car shortly thereafter to move it to the garage and I couldn't turn the steering wheel. I had my sister try it and she could not move it to the left or to the right w/o excessive force. Needless to say the car stayed at the curbside until Monday when I had it towed to the nearest Ford Dealership. Ford's comments were that the steering assembly needed to be rebuilt (or something to that effect) and it was not going to be cheap. How much I asked? He said about 2,000.00.

I had no clue that newer model cars now use electrical power steering. I was looking all around inside the hood for the container to pour some power steering fluid in it. The Dealership confirmed that the car is not under warranty & said they even call the dealer where I bought the car. I have to admit it was my short comings for not buying an extended warranty.

Today I called Ford Motor Company Customer Relations to report my problem and that didn't go anywhere either. I am a very frustrated owner of what I still believe is a very nice car but I seriously believe that what ever the part is that they are saying I need was defective. NTSB has not and can not do any recalls until a certain number of problems occur. Shruuug..... I would like to believe that the life span on power steering components is more than two - three years but that remains to be seen, I am going to have my car towed back to my home while I continue to do some additional investigating to make sure for certain that the problem the dealership is suggesting is exactly that before I have any work done on it. $2,000 is a lot to spend and don't have any guarantees that nothing else will happen in the near future.

- , Washington, DC, USA

Mar 292012

Fusion SE 2.5L 4 cyl

The steering just Quit working. Couldn't drive the car unsafe to drive.

- , Lake City, FL, USA

Aug 132012

Fusion SE 2.5L 4 cyl

Noise in steering brought into dealer they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Drove it another 400 miles Brought it back Then they had to replace the Steering again. Second Time.

- , Lake City, FL, USA

Dec 162011

Fusion 3L V6

This has happened twice, first about a month after I obtained the CPO used car and one other time about two months later. The power steering failed to start after the car was stopped and restarted after a wait. The first time it was a very warm day and the traffic was blocked so I cut the warm engine off. When i restarted the car there was no power steering and it was very difficult to steer. I drove about 5 miles to my destination and parked to eat for about an hour. When I restarted the car everything worked. Delivered my family home and drove to the dealer in Tustin and told the service man what had happened. There was nothing to show him because the car was working fine. He said I could leave it, but such an intermittent problem would likely not show up overnight. He was correct. I didn't leave the car and all was fine for about two months. The next time the weather was cool and I only drove about 6 miles to a meeting in the evening. When I attempted leave after about 90 minutes of cooling off, the power steering was again not operating. I drove the six miles home with difficulty. The next morning there was no problem. Since then I have driven another 3000 miles with no recurrence. This is a nuisance, but I haven't really considered it to be a safety problem. Today I was given a newspaper report that said there have been 15 or more other cases reported simlar to mine. I hope Ford finds the problem.

- , Irvine, CA, USA

Aug 042011

Fusion

While leaving a parking lot, the power steering failed completely, extremely hard to steer it at all. I turned the car off to talk on my phone to call Ford, and when I turned it back on, it was fixed. Steered fine. So I took it to the agency for them to look it over, and they did, and they found nothing at all wrong with it. It is fine right now, but I have no confidence that it will not happen again.

- , Fayetteville, AR, USA