CarComplaints.com Notes: Has the power steering started to show signs of failure in the 2014? Yeah, a little. Am I confident it will become a bigger problem over time? Yeah, a lot.

3.9

2014 Ford Fusion engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Fusion:

2014 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 122015

Fusion 4-cyl

I avoided another vehicle that cut me off on the expressway by honking the horn, slamming on the brakes and quickly changing lanes. As soon as I maneuvered into an empty lane, my vehicles instrument panel went dark, the horn stopped sounding, all gauges went to zero and the car lost all electric power (including steering assist) and the engine stumbled. After a second or two everything on the instrument panel reset. Once everything came back on, the engine was on a reduced power mode and pushing the accelerator to the floor did not make the car accelerate. With the vehicle rapidly loosing speed, I was able to steer the vehicle into the shoulder of the expressway. I shifted the vehicle into neutral and turned the car off by moving the key to "accessory" and then restarted the vehicle. Once restarted, I shifted back into drive and depressed the accelerator. The car accelerated normally and all electronic functions were working. The instrument panel displayed everything normally. There was no "check engine" or other warning lights illuminated and no warning messages were displayed on the instrument panel screen. I drove my car another 6 miles to the dealership with no further issues.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Aug 302014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was exiting a freeway when I experienced my first problem. In the middle of traffic, my car shut off and I lost most functionality of the vehicle. The dashboard displayed an alert transmission not in park. I was driving normally and did not press any buttons or make any adjustments to the gears. He only thing that was functioning was the brakes and steering wheel, I had no control over the gas. The problem happened again the next day. I was speeding up to get on to the freeway when my car shut off again, displaying the same message. However, this time, because it was night, the lights powered off and it was difficult to see what was ahead of me. I turned on my hazards and was forced to pull over to the side, place the car in park and restart the ignition and continue on. I called about the issue as soon as the Ford dealership opened the next day. They told me to bring it right in. However, the problem happened again before I had a chance to bring it in. I was driving on the freeway when I was trying to pass an 18 wheeler. I successfully passed the truck, but after I did, the power shut off again and I was sandwiched between two 18 wheelers.the next day, I brought the vehicle into the dealership. They took it off my hands for about a week while they tested it for problems. I received a call and the representative said that they fixed a cable that appeared to be loose that might have led to the problem, and also gave the car a software update. I was pleased with the response.a week later I was driving back home when the car shut off again. I immediately drove the car to the dealership. I called the Ford care team and they said they would open a case for a buyback.on Sept 23, I received a voicemail from the dealership saying that they could not fix the vehicle because when they tested it was functioning as it should. They can and will not fix or replace the vehicle.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 062014

Fusion 4-cyl

This vehicle has a proximity starting system. No insertion of a key is needed to start the car. The car is supposed to recognize the electronic key to your vehicle. After shopping I came out got into my car and pushed the start button with my key fob in my pocket. My wife happened to be sitting beside me in the car with a key fob in her purse. The car would not start and a message saying "key not recognized". I tried multiple times to push the start button to try to start the car. It would not start. The key fobs would however lock and unlock the car which meant the car was in fact recognizing them but the car would not start. I called my selling dealership for advice on how to start the car. They could offer none. They said all I could do would be to have the vehicle towed to them for inspection. L called to arrange for the tow. But then waiting for the tow truck I tried one last time to start the car by pushing the start button. Amazingly and for no reason I could figure out as I had done nothing different the car did finally start that time. I dove over to the dealership. After over two hours they could not find any problem with the car that might have caused it to not recognize my key fobs and not start. They kept my car overnight but by noon still finding no problem or cure to it they said I could come and pick up the car. When I got there they said they had contacted Ford and Ford had no information to give them about the problem. I did some research myself however on the internet and found a number of complaints on Ford's own website in the "forum" section saying other customers had reported the very same "key not recognized" and none starting problems with their vehicles. Ford seems to be stonewalling on this issue. And while a car not starting when you need it to can be a real inconvenience it could also be a real safety concern under the right circumstance.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 052013

Fusion 4-cyl

1. both the check engine light and airbag light come on (at different times) while the car is being driven. 2. when cranking the engine during starting, the cranking time takes about 4-5 seconds. The extended crank time concerns me with respect to the longevity of the starter and battery wear. 3. the vehicle looses power when driving uphill. What's even more upsetting (considering the very low mileage an the issue happening only 3 weeks into ownership) is the fact I've had the car has been to dealership 4 times and every time I'm told there's nothing wrong with the car. I have pictures taken with my cell phone of the check engine and airbag lights on and I'm still not getting any help or consideration. This is very, very frustrating!!

- Huntington, WV, USA