2002 Honda CR-V lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda CR-V:

2002 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 012007

CR-V 4-cyl

Headlight bulbs (low beam) burn out frequently. Bulb life varies from 10 minutes to 14 months. I use about 5 bulbs a year on average. Burn-outs occur on both driver-side and passenger-side. Occasionally, both will burn out at the same time. Honda dealer has been unable to find the problem.

- Shorewood, IL, USA

Nov 102011

CR-V 4-cyl

While driving my low beam head lights went out and I could smell something burning I immediately pulled off on the shoulder of the highway at 1:30 am. The burning smell was coming from around my steering column. I checked my high beam head lights and they worked so that is how I got home. My husband got on line and checked for any recalls and found non just complaints about other people having the same issue. My husband checked where the burnt smell was coming from and found the issue and called the dealer ship and they said that we had to pay for it and gave us a crazy amount to fix it. My husband as handy as he is did a temporary fix on it. I hope Honda fixes this issue before someone gets killed or hurt.

- Atwater, CA, USA

Oct 152011

CR-V 4-cyl

The low beams stopped working while driving and the plastic wire harness connector that plugs into the headlight switch started smoking and burned up. The headlight switch I can get through Honda but I can't find the plastic wiring harness connector. It is not safe when your low beams both go out when driving cause the wire for the low beams burns up in the connector for no reason. Updated 11/25/11 updated 11/30/11

- Newton , NJ, USA

Oct 042011

CR-V 4-cyl

Both headlights went out simultaneously while driving. High beams still work. Low beams work again after being out for about 5-10 minutes. It tends to happen after headlights have been on for roughly an hour of driving. A damaged connector was found in the steering column. Updated 06/04/12

- Natick, MA, USA

Dec 232010

The contact owns a 2002 Honda CR-V. the contact was driving at 25 mph when the headlights failed. The contact had to replace three headlights in a three month period. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or a local mechanic. The contact was unaware of what was causing the headlights to continuously fail. The failure mileage was 138,000.

- Egg Harbor, NJ, USA

Sep 242011

CR-V 4-cyl

Both low beam headlights just quit working - I checked the bulbs and they were in working order. There was a burning rubber type smell leading up to the headlights not working. The high beam lights do work.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Sep 182011

CR-V 4-cyl

Low beam headlights not functioning. Highbeam work. Fuses and relays in working order.

- Resaca, GA, USA

Sep 012011

CR-V 4-cyl

Low beams went out simultaneously. High beams still worked. Changed out headlights and switches; low beams still did not work. Took vehicle into Honda zimmerman dealership, expressed concern that it seemed odd that both low beams would go out at the same time. I mentioned to dealership that the NHTSA had received similar complaints for the same year, make, and model. Dealership said that they were not aware of anything reported and no formal recall had been issued. This will be the second set of headlights replaced in six months; and the low beams still do not work.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Sep 012011

The contact owns a 2002 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the low beams failed, forcing the contact to drive with the high beams. The head lights were replaced by a private mechanic. The manufacturer was contacted, but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 182,000 and the current mileage was 182,100.

- Richmond, RI, USA

Aug 232011

CR-V 4-cyl

Low beams on 2002 Honda went out, high beams work. Checked bulbs etc, CRV forums state multiple people have this issue relating to connecter melting under steering column.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 082011

CR-V 4-cyl

My wife and I own an 02 Honda CR-V that has headlight failure problems. I have researched online and found that there is an issue noted at different forums concerning the steering column electrical connection at the dimmer/turn signal switch. Our headlights failed during normal use in June of 2011. I took my steering column cover off and looked at the electrical connection to the dimmer/turn signal switch and found it to be partially melted. I cleaned the connections and reinstalled the connector. The repair lasted only temporary (2 months) and then the lights failed again. I have determined that the replacement of the wiring connector is the only complete repair, but since I have heard there is an investigation, I wanted to acknowledge that my 02 Honda suffers this problem of a faulty wiring connector from the manufacturer at the dimmer/turn signal switch. Updated 09/07/11 updated 2/23/12

- Fall River, MA, USA

Aug 012011

CR-V 4-cyl

On 8/1/2011, while driving our 2002 Honda CRV, I noticed a strange smell. When darkness fell, I realized that the low beams on my vehicle were not working, through the high beams and every other light on the vehicle worked. This has happened twice before - once in November of 2009, and once in March of 2010. When it happened previously, I first checked the bulbs and fuses. They were all fine. I then researched the issue on the internet, and looked into a wiring harness behind the steering wheel. I found a wiring harness that contained some corrosion between connectors that had melted somewhat. I scraped off the corrosion and applied some dielectric to inhibit future corrosion, and the lights came back on. I spoke with the service attendants at my local Honda dealership (with pictures that I took of the offending harness), and after checking their computers, they told me that there was nothing on record regarding the issue. I have not yet made the (obviously temporary) repair for the most recent occurrence of this issue. I'm thinking that I may take it to the dealership service to see if they can come up with a more permanent solution..... updated 01/17/12

- Norristown, PA, USA

Jul 132011

CR-V 4-cyl

Honda 2002 CRV- low beams went out simultaneously on two separate occasions. Replaced both bulbs the first time. One month later, now, both low beams went out simultaneously again. Honda dealer has never heard of the problem with wiring harness and requires $100 to simply diagnose the problem. Updated 08/11/11 updated 3/08/2012

- West Granby, CT, USA

May 102011

CR-V 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Honda CRV. The contact stated that the headlights failed and would only illuminate on the high beam. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed the failure at the headlight switch. The vehicle was repaired and the dealer replaced the headlight switch. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage is 122,000. Updated 09/07/11

- Huntsville , AL, USA

Jun 152011

CR-V 4-cyl

The headlights on my 2002 Honda CRV failed simultaneously while driving. Replacement of bulbs and fuses did not correct the problem.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jun 042011

CR-V 4-cyl

Honda CRV 2002: Headlights - low beam - both went out at once, forcing use of high beam for night driving until it could be fixed. Repair shop diagnosed as the "lighting switch & repair harness" required replacement. Repair shop mentioned something like "seen this before" - I googled & found it has happened enough that others have reported here. I took what I had found online to repair shop, they said it was exactly what my CRV experienced. Updated 06/30/11 updated 07/01/11

- Roswell, GA, USA

May 252011

The contact owns a 2002 Honda CR-V. the contact stated while driving at night the low beams would shut off. The driver inspected the vehicle and noticed that both bulbs were fine because the high beams were good and so were the relays. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer nor was it repaired. The failure and current mileage was approximately 176,000. Updated 07/18/11 updated 3/1/12

- Fulton, NY, USA

May 022011

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Honda CR-V. the contact stated the low beams headlights failed. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who stated there was an electrical problem with the lights. The lights will be replaced but not under warranty. The manufacturer was stated there were no recalls or warranties. They also offered no assistance with the repairs. The failure mileage was 120,000. Updated 6/8/11 the consumer was informed the wiring connector had burned out. Updated 06/27/11

- Derby, KS, USA

Jan 122011

CR-V 4-cyl

Low beam headlights suddenly and simultaneously burn out.

- Clackamas, OR, USA

Jan 012006

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the low beam headlights stopped functioning. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was told that the headlight switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure had since recurred three times. During the failure, the contact smelled a burning odor. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 151,000. The headlight harness and switch were replaced. Updated 07/01/11

- Lake City, FL, USA