2008 Honda CR-V electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda CR-V:

2008 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Jul 262013

CR-V 4-cyl

Rear door and rear hatch locks became inoperative when vehicle was stopped and parked, had children in car seats and was not able to open doors manually or electrically. Because children were in car seats it was very difficult to get children out of car. Also there was no way to open locked doors vehicle was not able to Transport passengers until this condition was repaired. This could be a serious condition in an emergency or accident.

- Acton, CA, USA

Jul 252013

CR-V 4-cyl

Last week while in atlanta, ga my Honda CRV 2008 doors started locking with in seconds of me hitting the unlock button. Making it very hard to get in the car. The car was on in park and door accidentally closed and locked automatically with noticing locking my dog in the car with no air. I do not have the spare key. Thankfully after calling 911 the fire department was able to get the car unlocked my getting the window to roll down. The temperature outside was approx 86 degrees and who knows how hot in the car.fortunately, they came with in 30 min of this happening. The dog was scared after this incident and reluctant to be in the car. The car normally automatically locks once the car is in reverse. The car has continued to have this issue over the weekend.I am also unable to unlock the car manually with just the key. This issue concerns me very much as I travel with my dog around town and have only the one key.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Jul 262013

I was locked into my car I could not unlock the car automatically or manually I was trapped and had to call a lock smith to come save me. After the fact I called Honda and they told me they would make a report but they couldn't do anything for me. On top of this I wasn't alone I had my small grand children with me and they acted like they didn't care. I have always bought a Honda but I am not wanting to give them another dime of my money. I replaced one lock but it is acting up again! door actuator. Is the error it has and needs to have a recall for it.

- El Paso , TX, USA

Jul 012013

CR-V 4-cyl

Upon stopping vehicle and placing it in park and turning off ignition. I unlock automatic door and within seconds it relocks itself, it will not let me manually unlock the door from the inside. I am afraid it will trap my family or me in a accident, potentially putting us at serious risk of injury especially if there is a fire. I think Honda should replace this with a recall.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 042013

CR-V 4-cyl

Door locks stopped working locked all the doors

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Jul 212011

CR-V 4-cyl

Lock on right front door has been malfunctioning for approximately 2 years. It started by locking and unlocking by itself. Now it is making a horrible sound every time I lock or unlock it. I have always worried about getting stuck in the car when it decided to lock and "not" unlock. I have been assisting a 92 year old women. Imagine if she was stuck in the car because of a locking problem or imagine a child stuck in the car because of this defect. I have been researching and it is something that Honda needs to take care of. Thank you!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 012013

In April of this year (2013), the 2008 Honda CRV-ex that I purchase certified, pre-owned in October 2012, began having problems with the door locks. As I was driving, the locks would automatically unlock and lock themselves every time I came to a stop and started driving again. The problem stopped after a few days, then a few weeks later, started occurring again. Before I called to have it checked, it stopped, but then I would hear a squealing sound immediately after the doors were locked upon acceleration. All of these issues stopped, but then about a week ago (July 2013), both doors on the passenger side started relocking themselves within 3 seconds of being unlocked by either the key fob or from the driver side door. They cannot be locked or unlocked manually, even with auto lock off. They also cannot be opened from the inside by the passenger. This is a serious safety issue for my child, who would not be able to open his door and exit immediately in the case of an emergency. In addition to this problem, the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) light is on permanently on my dashboard. According to the dealer technician I spoke with, this means the TPMS has stopped communicating with the sensors on at least one of my tires. This is a hazard in that I could have dangerously low tire pressure and would not know it, which could lead to a blow out at high freeway speeds. This same technician reported he has seen "quite a few" 2007 and 2008 crvs coming in with this issue. I can work around this issue by frequently checking tire pressure myself, but it remains that I should not have to do this, when I paid for a vehicle that should be doing it for me.

- League City, TX, USA

Jun 242013

CR-V 4-cyl

Right rear door would not stay unlocked in the beginning. Since then, all doors except the driver's unlock seconds after they are commanded to lock, this is with or without the car running, drivers master switch, fob or auto lock, makes no difference they won't stay locked. No security here. I have driven Honda since the early 80's. first problem I have had like this. Honda needs to step up and fix this before someone gets hurt.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Jul 102013

On March 21, 2012, I took MY2008 Honda CRV for power door locks were malfunctioning.. they would constantly lock and un lock as I was driving. They would be clicking lock and unlock, dealer claimed I needed an actuator assembly at the cost of app. $250. I naturally had it repaired as it was a serious safety concern, since my small grandsons are in the back. On July 10, 2013 I returned with the identical door lock problem. Since I had driven more than 12,000 miles since the last repair, this was repair was not covered under warranty. After expressing my dissatisfaction, the dealer supposedly called Honda directly and Honda agreed to pay half of repair costs. My cost -$87. Since it was a major safetyconcern for me, I agreed. Guess what? two days later the same problem with the door locks re occurred. They are constantly clicking open and closed.when I called the dealer they told me it's probably an underlying electrical problem. I am reluctant to spend anymore on this apparently unfixable issue, but it is a serious safety issue, especially when young children and infants are required by law to be in the backseat. Judging by the number of complaints on this website I would like to see the NHTSA pressure Honda Motors to assume responsibility for this electrical malfunction.

- Elma, NY, USA

Jun 292013

My 2008 Honda CR-V has started locking the doors by itself. I shut the front door before I opened the back door to get my 11 month old baby out of the car and the doors locked before I was able to open the back door. It was over 100 deg F, so I had to call the fire department to break a window to get my child out of the car.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 012013

Rear lock initially not working and actuator was replaced for approximately $250. Approximately 1 month later all door locks repeatedly attempted to lock and unlock while driving as front door actuator malfunctioned. I was unable to lock front door electrically, with key or by manually pushing lock. All doors would not lock automatically while driving but repeatedly attempted to lock making loud noise while driving. Front and second rear door actuators now need to be replaced at same cost. Should I have to pay $750 to be able to safely ride in car with doors locked or lock car when unattended. I am sure the fourth lock will go soon at this rate. The car was not able to be locked manually and there was now way to stop the repeated loud noise while driving which would have allowed me not to pay the high cost of repair /

- Hanover, MA, USA

Apr 012013

CR-V 4-cyl

Electric door locks malfunction automatically locking or refusing to lock on passenger and read doors.. I am told there is an electrical problem with the locking system that needs to be replaced at a high cost. Creating a safety issue with rear doors for our grandchildren as doors may lock or unlock as the car is driven.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 202013

CR-V 4-cyl

Front right door unlocks itself after locking the car. This is a safety issue since the door unlocks itself while the car is in driving mode.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jun 202013

Door locking system failure. First rear driver's side door lock went out-will not unlock with alarm key, nor with the inner lock button system. Must be manually unlocked and locked. This caused the rear hatch to not open. Will only open once I have manually unlocked rear driver's side door. Now, the passenger door does not stay locked--whether I lock it with the key, button, or manually. It slow opens back to the unlocked position right after I lock it. I am concerned that someone will enter my vehicle when I am not around.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Aug 012012

CR-V 4-cyl

In August of 2012, the right rear door lock would not stay locked. We had the faulty part replaced. Now in June of 2013, we are having problems with the right front door lock. It began by not staying unlocked. When unlocked the door by ( any method), the lock would only stay unlocked for less than a second before relocking on its own. Now the problem has changed to where the door will not stay locked as in the problem door lock from last year. The door continues to try to lock each time the vehicle reaches the speed that the doors lock automatically.

- Marysville, CA, USA

Sep 052011

Door lock actuator on rear passenger door began to give out and rattle when trying to lock or unlock. It also failed to unlock or lock and at times locked and unlocked on its own. Lock was replaced. Just recently, the driver door did the same and it was also replaced. Now the driver rear and front passenger are doing the exact same thing. Sometimes the door locks and unlocks automatically or when I unlock the door, it quickly relocks. Same rattling noise as other two doors.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 052013

Cannot unlock the doors using the key manually. The door locks relock within 1 second after unlocking the door electronically. Have to have hand on the door handle when unlocking the car otherwise it will relock before I can get the door open.

- Roseville, CA, USA

May 312013

CR-V 4-cyl

Passenger side door will not lock with either the key fob or manually. When using the key fob it will lock and then immediately unlock. The same happens whenever the lock button is pressed on the driver/passenger door. When locking it manually on the passenger door, it will unlock immediately as well.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 142013

CR-V 4-cyl

Locks locking and unlocking while driving--a safety issue. My car broken into due to car's inability to lock. In addition, the car alarm does not function as the malfunctioning actuator on car is signaling that car is unlocked when it is not. Honda fixed actuator on one door, only to have another door malfunction less than 2 months later. Called american Honda today and they are refusing to fix what is defective part since they state is no longer under their 3 year warranty period. Car does not lock while driving. Online reports of people not being able to get out of cars. In the event of a crash or fire, this is a real problem in addition to safety. There is a pending class action suit filed 1-18-13 in Pennsylvania on this same issue fir consumers to be aware of. To have Honda do nothing about this obvious safety issue is of serious concern!!

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 012010

I have a 2008 CRV and my door lock actuators are failing to keep the doors of the vehicle locked. This is the second time or third time I have had them replaced and they have burned out again and are leaving the doors of my vehicle unlocked at speed. I press the lock button and they lock only to unlock seconds latter. They only seem to have a service life of 20K-35K miles! this mean every two years I have all the locks in my car fail to remain locked. I have a american car from 1996 and the original locks still work fine and stay locked!

- Las Cruces, NM, USA