2008 Honda CR-V electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda CR-V:

2008 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

May 292013

I stepped out of my car while it was running and the car locked itself. I had to walk home, get the spare key, and then walk back to my car. Then, the car would not unlock with the spare key, manually or by pushing the unlock button. I also tried the valet key--it wouldn't work either. The drivers' door is the only door that has a key lock on it so I couldn't try the key in any of the other doors. This is a serious safety issue that needs to be corrected by Honda.

- Cleo Springs, OK, USA

Jun 012013

CR-V 4-cyl

The driver door has started locking on own. I stopped to get gas on a Saturday evening and I got out to pay at the pump, only to find my car had locked itself. My purse and cell phone was inside. Luckily the gas station had an attendant who was kind enough to let me use his phone. I was 60 miles from home. I could not find a locksmith to come open it up on a Saturday evening. So, not only do I have to replace the actuator in the car, I have to replace the window on my back door because I had to ask a neighbor to break in my house to get the spare key, then drive 120 miles round trip to bring it to me. Even with the spare key, it was a struggle to get the door to open because it would either not unlock or immediately re-lock. I believe this to be a serious safety issue-as after all this ordeal to get home, the car would then not unlock to let me out.

- Cleo Springs, OK, USA

Jun 172009

CR-V 4-cyl

The passenger door locks immediately after unlocking, before you can grab the handle, preventing you from opening the door. The front seat passenger is trapped inside the vehicle. This may seem like a minor problem but if the passenger needed to get out of the vehicle in case of accident, fire or water then they will have no chance and could suffer serious injury or death. From reading incident reports on this site, this seems to be very common problem and it should be fixed before someone dies.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Apr 232013

I am experiencing a power door locking problem with the back seat / passenger side door lock. The power locking system keeps trying to lock the door while driving and it produces a constant clicking sound. I am unable to secure my door. From my research, it appears that I have a bad actuator and this is a common problem for Honda CR-V's.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

May 072008

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the vehicle would shake violently. The technician diagnosed that the engine was tilted and that there were two broken motor-mounts both needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. In addition, the contact stated that the air compressor was defective and was replaced. The failure mileage was 2,000 and the current mileage was 67,000.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Jun 112011

CR-V 4-cyl

A few weeks before my 36 month warranty was up, my door actuator went out in the left rear door. It was replaced and worked fine until recently 18 months later it seems the same door actuator has gone out. I am taking it in to be replaced for over $200 which is a bit much for a limited income. The door is worse now than before in that it keeps cycling locking and unlocking as I'm driving. I think Honda should replace for free as it is obviously defective from what I have read online.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Feb 012012

Doors lock and unlocked while driving.

- North Kingstown, RI, USA

Sep 112011

CR-V 4-cyl

Doors lock and unlock themselves.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Apr 092013

Doors lock unexpectedly. Doors automatically re-lock after depressing the unlock button.

- Mount Airy, MD, USA

May 012013

CR-V 4-cyl

The car doors are permanently locked. When I parked, the driver door locked and could not be unlocked- neither by remote nor manually. (usually the car automatically unlocks when in park). I climbed out the passenger door and clicked the lock button on the remote. About an hour later I tried to unlock the car from the outside and none of the doors unlocked. Only the driver door has a keyhole and inserting the key did not unlock the car. I tried using my spare keys but nothing worked. I am locked out of the car.

- Coral Springs , FL, USA

Apr 162013

CRV electrical power locking system refuses to stay locked, unlocks doors randomly and now will not stay locked under any circumstance.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 152012

CR-V 4-cyl

The front passenger door unlocks immediately after locking it, with remote or by the door itself. This is a hazard because anyone can enter vehicle when stopped at traffic light or stop sign or when vehicle is parked.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Mar 112013

Passenger side door lock failed due to defective part (door lock actuator) and door cannot be unlocked or opened from outside of the vehicle.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jul 142012

CR-V 4-cyl

The first problem uncovered: The driver's door cannot be manually unlocked with a key. My daughter drove the car to a concert using the valet key and discovered at midnight that she couldn't enter the car. After family arrived with electronic key it was determined that it would not manually open the door either. Following that incident we noticed the driver's door will randomly re-lock itself after the ignition is turned off and the door has initially unlocked. The locking system sometimes makes a "whirring" when engaged. The latest development: The passenger side rear door and the hatch refused to unlock using either the electronic key or the driver door controls. Also, the rear passenger door couldn't be opened manually using the button on the door itself- it wouldn't budge! the next day, the problem fixed itself... at least for now.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 242013

Right rear door and hatch would not unlock either manually or through the power locking system. Dealer determined that this was the result of faulty actuators and forced me to pay over $600 to have them replaced. This is a known error as there are other reported cases of this happening. It was also a safety issue as passengers could have been trapped in the car.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Sep 252012

The door actuator went out first on my passenger front door and automatically locks now every time I stop the actuators cycles on all 4 doors and tries to relock. This is very annoying and also I like to add please don't waste your money on the black chrome rims mine are peeling solid chrome is not supposed to peel so that was $3000 wasted.

- Caledonia , MS, USA

Jan 082013

The door locks keep locking and unlocking while I drive. I got locked into the car once, the car door would not open with key or manually. I had to crawl into back seat in order to open door and get out. The doors will not stay locked while I drive. This is very dangerous. When I'm stopped at a signal anyone could jump into the car. The door won't always lock when I get out of the car. Someone got into the car and went through my glove box because the car wouldn't lock. I feel Honda should have a recall and fix the door locks. I have seen quite a few complaints on the internet with others who have the same problem.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Feb 282013

CR-V 4-cyl

The power locks on the doors keep unlocking themselves while driving. It has potentially unlocked while driving even though the lock has been placed. Manually unlocking or locking doors is not an option as the lock seems to unlock by itself. Very dangerous to use with children even if the safety lock is placed the doors continue to unlock by themselves.

- San Diego , CA, USA

Feb 192013

CR-V 4-cyl

I could not get into the car one evening when the lights were accidently on. Tried Honda remote, tried actual key. Called tow truck 1, 2 and 3 over course of 2 days. They could not unlock it. Needed wheel lift tow-truck (not bed truck) so not to drag it (car is in park in my driveway in my garage). I don't want any chance to mess up my transmission. To get my car down the driveway, I had to get my car jack with wheels. I slowly raised the front car (front wheel drive and park) where gravity would pull the car down the driveway. Dangerous but I had to do it. From my search on the internet, this is a common problem with CR-V's. its a locking actuator that has to be repaired and Honda has admitted to having this problem. I just bought it certified 2.5 months ago from a Honda dealership. I have all the paperwork but no warranty. This is a safety issue. I'm a mechanical engineer, working as a system safety engineer for a major aerospace company. Tow truck company 1, 2 and 3 could not open the vehicle because they could not unlock it when they pressed on the unlock button or could not unlock with the lock-latch as they physically pulled it or when they pulled the physical handle to open it. Its all electrical. No mechanical open even though there is a handle, not even the tail door has a mechanical open latch. You have to touch it to open, again electrical. What happens if someone gets trapped inside with electrial problems" is this a safety concern" yes. In my professional opinion it is. If automakers choose to design vehicles with electrical activations, they must be able to provide at least a mechanical option for safety reasons. In this case, I honestly believe they must recall this defective feature. People will have this same problem and it will get worse as automotive industry continually becomes more electric. Please, protect the drivers and their families. Thanks

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jan 262013

Suddenly all the doors would lock as soon as I would get in I would try to unlock with door switch and the lock back right away. They have locked me out of my own car. I have tried the resetting procedures from manual and they do not change. To get into my car you have to pull handle as soon as you hit unlock on key.

- Edmonton, KY, USA