2012 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda CR-V:

2012 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 012014

CR-V

The contact owns a 2012 Honda CR-V. when the vehicle was started, a loud grinding sound emitted from the front of the vehicle. The failure recurred each time the vehicle was started if it had been parked for over four hours. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that they were aware of the failure and the contact would be placed on a waiting list. The contact stated that the vtc actuator was faulty and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Apr 012012

CR-V

Shortly after purchasing vehicle brand-new the car would not start. No lights had been on. Had vehicle towed to the dealership for a "fix." Now this has happened again- battery completely dead without warning leaving me and my young children stranded for hours. I just had the vehicle serviced at the end of may (about 5 weeks ago) and everything passed inspection then. Also like other reports I see, my engine sometimes makes a loud grinding sound when starting. My dealership said that "this just sometimes happens." I'm not convinced- I've driven some very old cars that don't even do this! this was my first brand new car and I'm not pleased.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Jun 052015

CR-V

Loud metallic rattle noise on cold start-up. Honda dealer found Honda service bulletin 09-010 issued, but no fix for this problem has been issued to date.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Sep 142012

CR-V 4-cyl

This has occurred multiple times. I was driving, came to a stop and was unable to accelerate to 25 mph. The car hesitated upon acceleration and then suddenly accelerated. Normally when it occurs it has happened after a stop at a light, stop sign or corner. However, it has also happened while I've been on the highway, let off the gas and then attempted to accelerate. I brought it to my Honda dealer for repair and they cannot duplicate the circumstances. I reported it to Honda headquarters and they can do nothing if the dealer the can not find the problem and had no other complaints about this problem which seems unlikely. This is very scary and could lead to a collision.

- Whitestone, NY, USA

Feb 142014

CR-V 4-cyl

During cold weather (winter) when vehicle is started first time in the morning there is a one time grinding noise? dealer indicated that the issue was with the variable timing control valve, dealer replaced vtc, noise didn't go away. Dealer now indicates that Honda is working on permanent solution but it has been close to a year and no permanent solution so far.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Oct 182014

CR-V 4-cyl

I went to park in a diagonal, on street parking spot, and applied the brake to stop. The car instead accelerated, jumped the curb and proceeded into an adjoining parking lot. I turned hard right to avoid vehicles and struck the retaining wall at the back of the lot with my left front quarter panel. This impact steepened the turn and shot me back out of the lot and onto the street. I proceeded up the street, the car accelerating all the time. I tried to determine if I was accidentally stepping on the gas, and felt I was indeed on the brake. My car proceeded rapidly up the street, over 1/10th mile in distance. In a panic to try and stop the car I stomped on the emergency brake, which locked up the rear wheels. My rear tires were in a skid for over 150 feet, which produced a sideways skid, the car turning right and slamming broadside into a park vehicle which stopped me. I feel this is a case of unintended acceleration, and have been made aware of other such incidents in late model crvs.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Aug 142013

CR-V 4-cyl

This is similar to the complaint on the 2013 I saw posted which is..." the contact owns a 2013 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that when starting the vehicle, a grinding noise was heard from the front end. The failure was recurring and intermittent. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 19,000. Kmj..... on my 2012, it has been in to service for this problem twice- they replaced an actuator for the starter- but now admit that is not the problem. It usually occurs in colder weather and it is a heck of a loud grinding noise when starting that continues after the key has been returned to normal.. for up to about 20 seconds. I was told that Honda knows about this problem and admits to it.. and is working on a fix-- but that was a few months ago now- and I have not heard from them what to do... we do not trust this car to start- and will be worried more as winter approaches..the primary reason we buy Honda's to be dependable.

- Candler, NC, USA

Jul 082013

CR-V

The contact owns a 2012 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while starting the vehicle after being idle for an extended time, the contact heard a rattling noise from the engine. The vehicle was taken for diagnosis where the contact was advised that the vtc actuator would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer several times. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure but did state that the vehicle was consuming more than 2.5 quarts of engine oil within a 15 day span. The manufacture was contacted and stated that they would further investigate the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000. The current mileage was 26,492.

- Maspeth, NY, USA

May 012012

CR-V 4-cyl

Submission from constituent re 2012 Honda CR-V intermittent problem. The consumer stated the vehicle would pause, when she attempted to accelerate after the vehicle, had been idling. There was zero response for 3-4 seconds, then the vehicle would uncontrollably surge forward. The dealer was unable to duplicate the problem. The dealer informed the consumer, the problem was her using her left foot to brake. The problem has since been resolved. Updated 01/30/14

- Nampa, ID, USA

Jan 072014

CR-V 4-cyl

Vehicle did not start on a cold morning (Tuesday 07th January, 2014, 9:30 am est). Outside temperature was around -10F (as indicated by cars dash). I do not have a garage. So car was parked outside. I cleared snow on top of car and I tried starting, but it wont start. I gave the starter, 10-12 minutes recovery time between trying subsequent starts. But, car would make clicking noise. Geico emergency roadside was backed up and they said it will take 6 hours to send some one. I had to get it jump started later that evening. Additional facts: (I use the car everyday. I did not leave any electrical appliance/lights on on the above day).

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Sep 222013

CR-V

While driving, I smelled some burning, and saw white smokes, so pulled over, and turned off the engine, got out of the car. After 30 seconds or (possibly a few mins), it caught fire (engine under the hood), and people around us tried to put out the fire using their own fire extinguisher to no avail. Fire truck arrived within minutes, and was able to put out fire. At this time, insurance does not seem really interested in finding out the root cause. Honda dealer says they are out of the mix since they did not service the vehicle. Honda America is saying that they will not look into this and simply wait for the outcome from insurance investigation. Honda has a history of recalls (CR-V) associated with fire hazards specifically from 2002-2006, and 2012 CR-V could be defective as well, but their responses over this accident is simply outrageous. So I'm filing a complaint against NHTSA, hoping that someone in the Agency can take a look at this, and get to the bottom of this fire incidence, and hopefully, this can prevent "fatal" disasters in the future.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Mar 012012

CR-V 4-cyl

I have been having random incidents since I got the car a little over a year ago where the gas pedal has accelerator issues. Usually from either a stop or slow moving, I accelerate and there is nothing for a few seconds, a hesitation, when stepping on the gas pedal. I have almost been rear ended numerous times, and have also almost had accidents while trying to turn across traffic and losing acceleration with no warning. I have had the car into service and am told they can't duplicate the problem so can't fix it. I am seriously concerned driving this car as it keeps happening and there is no explanation how to fix the problem. Someone I work with has the same car but a 2013 and is having the same problem.

- Denver, CO, USA

Feb 012012

CR-V

The contact owns a 2012 Honda CRV. The contact stated that the engine failed to start. The failure was experienced numerous times and was taken to the dealer numerous times. The dealer performed several diagnostics, which located failure codes with the ground wire, battery, lift gate power assembly, and the computer software. The dealer replaced the affected parts and updated the computer software but the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 165 and the approximate current mileage was 27,000.

- Lansing , MI, USA

Nov 212012

CR-V 4-cyl

Bought this car new about a month ago. The only problem I have been having is that at certain times, usually at slower speeds, when I step on the gas there is a 2-3 second delay before the car accelerates. During this hesitation period, the engine does not rev, and the car just coasts. This has happened 10-12 time this past month. This is very dangerous when I am trying to merge into faster moving traffic. I took my car to the dealer, but they could not duplicate the condition nor find anything wrong. They told me they reported the issue to Honda national.

- Makawao, HI, USA

Jun 112012

CR-V

The contact owns a 2012 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact merged to the shoulder of the road and restarted the vehicle. The dealer was made aware of the failure and advised that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the mechanic advised that the failure was unable to be detected. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000 and the current mileage was 11,000.

- Mandfield, OH, USA

May 162012

CR-V

In stop and go traffic, with and without the econ button on, the car hesitates to accelerate to the point that it has nearly caused accidents. Took it to Honda and asked them to drive to witness the problem. I don't think they drove it. The problem is somewhat intermittent, so you never know when it will happen. You have to adjust your driving just in case it might happen. The dealer told me not to drive with econ button in city driving conditions. That doesn't make a difference. It will cause accident eventually.

- Houston, TX, USA