2012 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda CR-V:

2012 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 012013

CR-V

Loud noise when the engine is started.

- East Elmhurst, NY, USA

Dec 152015

CR-V

Grinding noise at cold start.

- Wyandanch, NY, USA

Nov 202015

CR-V

Each time I start an engine when it still cold it has a rattle loudy noise. When Honda is going to recall for this issue?

- Stockton, CA, USA

Oct 152015

CR-V

A grinding noise occurs upon starting which lasts for a few seconds. I had asked about it on more than one occasion when bringing my car to the Honda dealership for service. A service manager captured it on video and said there was not any effect to the vehicle. My warranty is now expired and I imagine trying to sell the vehicle in the future will be a problem when someone hears that noise.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Jan 012016

CR-V

Heater/defroster on driver's side not putting out warm air. Windows not being defrosted - safety issue. Honda has long recognized this problem and issued a service bulletin 14-063 but refused to correct with charging several hundred dollars. This should be fixed no-charge as it is a safety issue.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Mar 232016

CR-V

On cold startups there is a grinding noise coming from the engine compartment which lasts for a few seconds. The grinding noise is heard usually after the car is left idle overnight but happens to a lesser extent while the car is being used. I took it to the dealer. Their mechanic identified it as the vtc actuator. They said that this is common and that Honda has issued a service bulletin and will be issuing a recall soon. Honda knows of this problem (bulletin:09-010). They said that it can wait for the recall to be issued. My problem is that my warrinty may now expire and a recall could not ever be issued.

- Sound Beach, NY, USA

Apr 222015

CR-V

We have a problem with noise when starting in cold weather. There is a hesitation sometimes when driving like not getting fuel.

- Dry Run, PA, USA

Jan 122016

CR-V

Low heat from the drivers side vent. Had to have the heater core flushed. Its a known issue with this car and there is an official Honda service bulletin (14-063) for this problem. Had to pay $450 to have this fixed.

- Spanish Fork, UT, USA

Nov 052015

CR-V

Grinding noise occurs on 1st start up when car is cold and occasionally during the day. We took it to Honda dealership on 11/5/2015 and they say it is the vtc actuator and no repairs will be done at this time. We took it to pasadena Honda on 1/25/16 and the service manager said they Honda would email us when they had a fix. I called Honda customer service and filed a complaint. They said Honda was working on a second solution.the noise continues to worsen. They said it wasn't a safety issue or wouldn't hurt the engine(?)

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Dec 012015

CR-V

Grinding/rattling engine noise on first start-up only. Appears to be the vtc actuator problem. Happens only in cold weather. Almost bought a Toyota rav4 instead. Maybe I should have bought the Toyota?

- Massillon, OH, USA

Jan 012015

CR-V

This is in reference to sb-09-010 that hundreds if not thousands of CR-V owners are experiencing spanning from 2012-2014 model years (other Honda's such as the Accord are also experiencing this issue all the back to 2008). Starting around 40,000 miles (after our 3 year/36K warranty expired of course) our vehicle makes a loud grinding noise on cold startups (after vehicle has been sitting for 2 or more hours). The longer the vehicle sits the louder the grinding noise is for the first startup. Honda has known about this problem for many years now (research it and you'll see for yourself) and has been complacent in coming up with a fix. How am I supposed to sell a vehicle that sounds like this" no one in their right mind would buy a vehicle that sounds like the engine is knocking or rattling. Where are the fixes for this Honda" Honda, you're rapidly losing faith in your brand and your customer base is diminishing. You've already lost me as a customer (my wife is still being loyal since this CR-V is hers) and I've jumped ship to another brand of car that starts with an "S" and ends in a "ubaru".. at 50,000 miles my 7 months pregnant wife got stranded 200 miles from home because the alternator decided to crap out on her which resulted in the battery dying. Luckily a good samaritan gave her car a jump start and she reached her destination. Getting the alternator fixed which was diagnosed as something internal in the alternator, cost us over $600 to fix on a 3 year old car. An alternator should not be dying on a 50,000 mile or 3 year old car. We will be filing formal complaints with Honda customer service in regards to the alternator and the loud engine rattle. Honda's quality in workmanship has drastically declined. I am through with buying any more Honda's. goodbye Honda!

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Oct 292015

CR-V

Starting car sound is a grinding sound. Tends to happen in the morning when I first start it up for the day. I think Honda should replace the cam actuator gear assembly. What else is getting ruined on my car when no action has been taken place by Honda?

- Brookfield, WI, USA

Nov 132015

CR-V

Sudden acceleration: When foot on brake, the engine surges

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Oct 212015

CR-V

When I "cold" start my car (mornings, after 6 hours of nonuse) there is a loud grinding/screeching noise that lasts a few seconds (https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=V3Z00ln1dd8). The schaumburg (il) dealership says Honda is aware of this problem and has not provided a solution to them yet. I contacted them on March 13, 2015, regarding this. They provided the same answer today...while the problem/noise persists. I am hoping this complaint will help force Honda develop a (vtc actuator?) solution and provide it to Honda drivers.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Aug 132014

CR-V

Honda CRV 2012 when starting the care in the morning, engine makes a rattling noise after it starts. This has been happening for the past year or so, on a daily basis. Of late, it happens in the evening as well. I.e) whenever the car has not been running for a couple of hours. The Honda dealership is saying that there is no bulletin from american Honda company on this, in order to fix the issue. And that this is not causing any damage to the engine. However, I see a service bulletin issued in October 2012 specifically for this, and it is stored on the NHTSA.dot.gov website. Service bulletin 2012 american Honda motor co., Inc. all rights reserved atb 41171-48259 (1210) 1 of 6 October 6, 2012 09-010 spoke to american Honda customer service and they clarified that they had updated that bulletin since then. They are advising the dealers to not apply those steps and have removed it as a recommendation (since 2013) to fix the engine rattle noise. They are deeming this as a "noise irritant". and asked us to check back in 4 months from now. However, on a product such as this car, the appearance is important. Right now, it sounds like I am driving a clunker! also, the concerns are: A) damage to the engine / actuator is still happening? B) is it safe to start the engine despite rattling noise? C) engine might eventually not start at all D) a loose part might destroy the engine while driving on a highway and result in an accident! thanks!

- Odessa, TX, USA

Apr 012015

CR-V

Engine makes rattling or grinding noise on startup, usually in the morning or when the car has set for at least 6 to 8 hours.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Oct 052015

CR-V

On cold starts here a load scrapping sound that lasts for 2-3 seconds. Never hear it on warm starts.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jun 102015

CR-V

Purchased a Honda CRV 2012 from a dealership but they brought the car to me for a test drive which resulted in my not hearing the grinding noise on startup. The engine makes a grinding sound every time you start it (cold starts...when I start it in the morning it makes the sound and if I start it within 15-20 minutes after the initial start it is much milder of a noise.) the Honda mechanic said they could not fix it (still under warranty at the time) because Honda has not done a "software update." I now see, after researching the issue, that this is an ongoing problem with Honda CRV's that has not been rectified.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Dec 302014

CR-V

Loud noise on start-up all the time (doesn't matter if cold or hot). Took to dealer, peoria, il - 12/30/2014 suspected vtc actuator. Dealer said could not duplicate, after I even recorded the noise. Brought back in April 2015, insisted they listen while I was there. Diagnosed vtc actuator. Said Honda had a tech bulletin, said they know about the problem but will not allow dealer to fix it. Told to check back again soon. I checked back over several months. Same answer. There is no fix, Honda knows about the problem. How can a manufacturer know there is a problem, and say they can't fix it. I can't resale the vehicle with this noise. The noise is very loud and embarrassing on every start up. Dealer refuses to fix or provide any solution. This seems to be a problem with different Honda vehicles, and consumers can't get the problem fixed.

- Pekin, IL, USA

Jan 152015

CR-V

Cold start of engine causes loud grinding noise only 2 and a half years of ownership 50,000 miles looking online it is not a unique problem and is an engine design flaw. Honda only says it's working on the problem but doesn't have a fix yet. They say the official problem is that the vtec actuator is defective. Given the number of posts asking about this problem I would assume the company would work on it especially if it is a problem with the engine.

- Arcadia, CA, USA