2014 Honda CR-V electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda CR-V:

2014 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 082014

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the TPMS warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the tires were checked and the TPMS warning indicator was disabled; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Poland, OH, USA

Oct 122014

We bought the car in August 2014. Within 2 months of purchasing the vehicle, the light indicating that the tires needed air turned on. We had the wheels inflated and the light still remained on. We took it to the dealer and they did something to make the light indicating the tires needed to be inflated turn off. In about two months after that, the light turned on again. The vehicle was stationary and when we turned on the ignition, it happened again. This time we have ignored it. Since we do not have time to be taking it into the dealer, it remains on whenever we drive the vehicle. It is annoying and can be dangerous.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Since we purchased this vehicle (new) it makes periodic electrical shorting noises when starting the vehicle (turning the ignition key). There is obviously an electrical problem with the ignition switch. It doesn't happen every time the vehicle is started, but many times. Our family is afraid the vehicle is eventually going to shock our hands - the vehicle now has about 15K miles on it but it has happened since the vehicle came from the dealership.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Dec 152015

My CR-V is 18 months old and since last Dec. Has the grinding sound when first started. The tire pressure signal lights up on occasion but when tire pressure is checked no tire is low. Took car to dealer and they said it could be fixed while under warranty. Hope so, but after seeing other complaints not so sure. Bought this car based on friends recommendations and Honda's reputation. Wish I had known about this website prior to purchase!

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Apr 112016

We have 4 instances where we have been unable to start the CRV because of a low battery problem. This necessitated using a jump starter to start the car. I have measured the voltage with a multi meter and after driving for a while the voltage will be about 12.4 volts and the next morning it will be about 11.8. my load tester indicated a weak rating. So obviously it appeared to me that the battery needed to be replaced under warranty. Bought the car to Honda Subaru of Santa Fe in nm on 4/20/16 and dealt with james the service manager. He said that they performed a software update to remedy the problem and that the battery operated within specs. Upon arriving home, 100 miles away, the same sub standard condition reoccurred. Contacting james with my situation, james said that because the battery was within specs he was not able to replace the battery. Maybe 12.4 volts is acceptable because the vehicle has been driven causing a surface charge but if it drops to 11.8 overnight something is askew. If they had performed a load test that problem would have been evident. We now carry a jump starter with us but my wife is not able to use it which I consider a safety problem. Judging from all of the problems on this site, Honda should be much more responsive to the safety and performance needs of its customers. After reading these posts, most potential buyers of Honda products would have serious reservations. We travel full time in a motorhome and will need to have this problem addressed at another dealership.

- Livingston, TX, USA

Dec 162015

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the vehicle made an abnormal grinding noise during cold weather. In addition, the tire pressure warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 17,000.

- Roebling, NJ, USA

Mar 032015

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CR-V. the contact stated when the vehicle jerked after a complete stop and during acceleration the vehicle hesitated then jerked. In addition, the contact stated that vehicle's alarm activated and failed to deactivate. As a result, the vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the alarm module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The technician could not determine the failure of the vehicle jerking. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 15,000. Updated 04/20/16

- La Mirada, CA, USA

Nov 262014

My elderly mother died in a fire in her 2014 Honda CR-V. there were no witnesses to the origin of the fire. The car was first seen when fully engulfed by flame, 10 to 20 minutes after my mother was seen getting into her car. Unknown if she let it idle before driving. She drove about 1200 feet. Her car was found in wet ivy at the side of the road. Her key was in her hand, and she was leaning towards the passenger side of the car, apparently trying to escape the fire. (because the car was on a hill, leaning towards the passenger side, flames from beneath the car were strongest on the driver side and would have blocked her exit. The passenger side was not completely burned.) it is improbable that the ivy ignited because it was late fall in the pacific northwest and the weather had been very wet for days. I believe that a fire ignited somewhere in the vehicle and this fire caused my mother to go off the road. An autopsy showed she died of smoke inhalation and burns. The car was in good condition with recent servicing. No signs of recent oil leakage in garage. We have located other 2012-2014 CR-V fires that began spontaneously. Some blamed on leaves trapped in vehicle, another on fluid leaks, including two on (NHTSA nos. 10654938 and 10546273). I retain the vehicle. ## VIN passed ## Honda CRV 2014 ##

- Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 012016

I bought my car brand new at the end of 2013. On old morning and sporadically and cool mornings in the spring and fall there is a loud grinding sound under the hood. It looks like many people have this issue. I have taken it in 3 times now to a Honda dealer and every single time they are they can't replicate the issue and do not hear it themselves. They are unable to fix or repair it yet it seems to be such a common problem.

- Napa, CA, USA

Dec 012015

Car is only 13 months old and had a dead battery twice when nothing was left on. This is unacceptable because I spent $30,000 on this car and my loan is for 4 more years. Honda dealership says battery and charging system is fine. Not what I was expecting from Honda, car is not reliable at all. I'm scared to take it far because I will get stranded. This needs to be fixed.

- Winchester, MA, USA

Jan 152014

On the initial startup, on cool to cold mornings, there is a grinding noise in the starter for about 1-2 seconds. This was a brand new car. The Honda dealer says Honda knows about it and is working on a fix. They say it is not hurting the car. It sounds awful. This happens when the car is parked. Began Jan. 2014-now.

- Powhatan, VA, USA

Jul 132015

After being in the off mode, the ignition battery power does not start engine with out a powerful battery boost. This has happened1T least 13 times with no warning sign. Vehicle has been taken to two dealerships and they declared nothing has been. Honda of ca said that they investigated and declared that no issue had been found. I have purchased a high power booster as an intermediary fix.

Oct 082014

TPMS warning light appeared on dashboard. Stopped at Honda dealership. Tires were at correct pressure. We were shown where the button was on the dashboard to clear the TPMS warning light. This has happened at least twice since the first incident. It was brought to the dealership the next time and we were told the tire pressure on all 4 tires was fine and they canceled the warning light on the dashboard. All of this at no cost to us. The third time it happened I canceled the warning light. The issue must be a engineering or design failure/problem otherwise why would they have a button on the dashboard so the driver could cancel the warning light? we feel we can't trust the warning light anymore and quite frankly wonder how safe the tires and vehicle is to drive.

- Kennebunk, ME, USA

May 142014

Vehicle becomes unresponsive to star up procedure w/O prior indication or warning. Has happened approx., on 12 instances. Have called for road called & taken it to dealership without final resolution. Contacted Honda of carson ca. Final resolve after two months was to have vehicle towed to dealer for appraisal of situation.

Apr 132015

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CR-V. upon turning the key in the ignition switch, the instrument panel gauges and all the warning lights flickered. The contact stated that the key hesitated to start the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition wiring harness connector frayed causing a loss of connection to the computer or instrument cluster. The technician stated that further diagnostic testing was required in order to determine the failure. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V004000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Sep 302014

CR-V 4-cyl

My CRV started making grinding noises with ignition in Sept 2014, approx. 6 months after I purchased it from kings Honda in cincinnati, oh. During routine service at kings Honda I inquired about the grinding and was told that " it was the vtc actuator in the crvs and this was a known problem to Honda." The service manager told me that Honda was issuing a recall for the problem soon. I haven't seen a recall yet and I want this problem fixed while my car is still under warranty. Please advise on what further action I need to take. Thank you

- Mason, OH, USA

Sep 242014

CR-V 4-cyl

First thing in the morning on cold days, sometimes a grinding sound occurs when starting the engine that lasts about a second. It doesn't happen every cold morning, but it happens fairly regularly on cold mornings. I see that many people have complained about this problem and Honda has not developed a solution. This problem needs to be fixed to ensure no damage is occurring to the engine.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

May 152014

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the after parking the vehicle, it failed to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was operating as designed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,500.

Jan 302015

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CR-V. when the vehicle was started, there was an abnormal noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate over 20 mph and all the warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician stated that rodents were chewing the harness wires. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer on February 4, 2014 where it was diagnosed that the crank sensor and harness wires needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 052015

CR-V 4-cyl

During cold winter months there is a grinding noise for about 2 seconds when first starting the vehicle, even in garage. Taking to Honda dealer this week. Looking at all similar complaints online, I am not expecting much to be done. Seems Honda is aware of this problem on crvs but can't diagnose"?????"!!!!

- New Providence, NJ, USA