2014 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda CR-V:

2014 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 122014

CR-V

My vehicle makes a terrible sound under the hood upon starting when it is cold. I researched it online and discovered it is the vtc actuator valve (most likely). Took it to dealership, let it overnight so they would hear it after setting. They claim no noise upon starting it. I am concerned at some point engine parts are being damaged. The noise began within 2 months of ownership. Went to another Honda dealer, they said "Honda probably does know about this but there is no repair/recall order issued so they won't repair it. Car was purchased new.

- Grandville, MI, USA

Dec 012014

CR-V

When starting the car, especially after it sitting for a while, it will make a ratcheting sound after starting. I called the dealer where purchased from and was told it was a vtc actuator problem that there is no fix for. Was told they are working on it and would have a fix in February. Looked up this problem online and saw this has been a problem with Honda's since 2008 along with numerous videos of the same sound.

- Cambridge, MN, USA

Nov 122015

CR-V

While slowing down to make a left turn, I removed my foot from the gas and then my foot when back on the gas, but there was no power. I took my foot off the gas and then back on to recover. This has happened a number of times and have come close to two accidents from oncoming cars. The answer I get from my dealer is that they have no record of this problem, and suggested turning the traction control off. I did this but still have experience the same problem. This is very dangerous and must be corrected in a recall. I also, like a number of other Honda owners, experience the tire pressure light coming on. Dealer says no fix for this.

- Frederick, CO, USA

Apr 082015

CR-V

Engine has a cold start rattle, Honda says it is the vtc actuator. Honda has changed it once and it still makes the noise. Honda says that are working on a fix, but it looks like they have working on it since 2012.

- Hillsboro, KY, USA

Nov 092015

CR-V

TPMS TPMS system would come on when I drove for more than an hour. But only when I drove for over an hour on the highway. When I checked the tire pressure there would be nothing wrong. Finally I asked a mechanic and he recalibrated/rebooted the system and it has not come on since. Engine grinding when I start the car up after it being in the cold overnight there is an initial grinding sound.

- Readville, MA, USA

Oct 262015

CR-V

Took vehicle to get B1 service at Honda dealer. Was notified that oil seepage was visible in the engine area. The vehicle was not repaired, service notes state will inspect at next service. The car has 19,245 miles.

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Feb 182014

CR-V 4-cyl

There seems to be a low speed stall. I've reported to the dealer but they claim its a gearing problem. When you are at a stop or making a low speed turn the gas pedal doesn't engage in order for the car to move. This could be dangerous in that you may be in harms way with no way of getting out of the situation. I did take my vehicle into the dealer after I first experienced the problem but they have no recalls or fixes for the problem. Updated 09/09/15.....updated 09/11/15 the consumer stated within the last few days, the vehicle stalled again at a stop light. When the accelerator was applied, it took at least 10 seconds for a response. Honda stated the failure occurred when the vehicle was in economy mode. However, the consumer stated it also happened when the vehicle was not in economy mode. Updated 10/28/15.

- Montrose, CO, USA

Nov 152013

CR-V

Happened a few weeks after vehicle purchase, tire pressure warning light would come on all of a sudden. I reset it per the owners manual and would happen a few more times and have been fine until the most recent basic service at Honda of serramonte. Light came on again and I reset it, so far it's been fine. Happened early this year, a grinding noise could be heard almost every morning while starting the car. Does not happen later on in the day. Took vehicle to Honda of serramonte and left vehicle there so they could test it in the morning. Next day in the afternoon I went to pick up my vehicle, service rep wai wong who assisted me said technician did not hear the sound. She told me there are a few cases of this problem so far. I asked her for a service report for my records, she said it is not required because no work was performed on my vehicle. So I asked if the grinding noise would damage the engine, she promised very confidently that she is positive the engine would not be damaged by the grinding noise. It has still been making this grinding noise from time to time in the mornings only. Also, with a passenger sitting in the front passenger seat, the airbag off light would turn on from time to time. I've checked online for any recalls related to the above three issues I am having with my vehicle, but so far none to date.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Dec 082014

CR-V

My new 2014 Honda CR-V is garaged in nw Ohio. On cold December mornings where garage is cooler than 40 degrees, a grinding sound is heard at start up. It lasts 1-2 seconds. Not every time but at most starts. This happened until April.

- Lima, OH, USA

Feb 272014

CR-V

There is a grinding noise/sound at cold start. Vehicle is garaged but during the colder weather months, the starter has a terrible grinding sound. This occurred with only about 1200 miles put on the car. It was purchased new in mid-December, 2013 (2014 model) and the grinding sound first occurred in late February, 2014. Waited a few more months and then contacted local Honda dealership to bring in the car to have them duplicate the problem. This was done on January 9th, 2015. Dealership said they were aware of some other 2014 CRV's having same/similar problem as mine. They further stated that the problem is a vtc-actuator and that Honda had been aware of it for some time. I was told that Honda has to re-engineer the part and that it hopefully be ready by the summer of 2015. Still no word from the dealership on the status of the re-engineered part being available at this time. I will follow up with them today.

- Hoschton, GA, USA

Jan 162014

CR-V

I will always read this sight before buying another car. I have had CRV 2014 18 months and began problems after 2 weeks. TPMS light keeps coming on every few weeks. Low beam lights are bad and high beams are ridiculously too far ahead and can't see right in front of you. The head rest leans so far forward its uncomfortable and awkward. My engine makes a terrible grinding sound when starting the car. After reading all the other complaints, I consider myself fortunate I haven't had acceleration upon applying the brakes or no throttle when trying to accelerate. I will be cautious of those problems now since I've had so many of the others listed here.

- South Bend, IN, USA

May 082015

CR-V

When doing the first oil change, there were significant oil leak around timing chain cover.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Jan 222015

CR-V 4-cyl

When you cold start the car it makes a grinding noise. Have taken it in to the dealer three times and they can never duplicate the noise. I take it home and it does it again the next day each time. I recorded the noise and took it to the dealer. They originally told me that they didn't know what it was. The third time I took it in they claimed Honda America was aware of the problem and were working on it. After waiting 6 weeks for resolution, I called the dealer and was told the same thing. I requested the number to Honda America and called. I was told by Honda America that they didn't deem this problem a defect and they would not fix the problem. I am trying to find out what recourse I have. If you look on the different blogs and sites online...they do have a problem with numerous other Honda vehicles. Any help you can give me is appreciated.

- Port Republic, MD, USA

Nov 142014

CR-V 4-cyl

I get a harsh grinding 'metal-on-metal' sound from the cam/timing chain, top of the engine when temps below 40 degrees. Visited with the dealer I purchased at, didn't even start a work ticket when I told him what it was doing. Stated it was the vtc actuator problem, they all have it, replacing the part won't fix it, just have to live with it. Went to 2nd dealer, said same thing but started a work ticket. Gave me a copy of a Honda "tech line summary article" engine rattles after cold soak startup. Affected vehicles, 2008-12 Accord, 2012-15 crosstour, 2012-14 CR-V, we're currently working on a solution but have no recommended dealer repair at this time. Contacted Honda motor co. To file a complaint, we would like to fix your car, how? you don't have a fix, problem since 2008. Asked for my purchase price to be reimbursed minus usage. Waiting for response from Honda. Will pursue dispute resolution/arbitration if needed.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Sep 042014

CR-V 4-cyl

This has happened on numerous occasions. After stopping for a red light, nothing happens for several seconds when trying to accelerate, then car jumps forward. I have come close to rear ending the car in front of me several times. Am going to my dealer tomorrow. I have seen a number of similar complaints on the internet, so its not my imagination.

- Somonauk, IL, USA

Feb 242015

CR-V

More than 5 times when starting the CRV, from a cold start and 2 warm starts, I get a harsh grinding 'metal-on-metal' sound from the front right of the engine. This is happening also with warms starts (2X this week). Called Honda dealer, rochester NY where car was purchased new 6 months ago. Spoke to a senior service advisor and told me out right this is a know problem/defect (his words) and Honda is well aware of it and there is no fix known. I asked for a date to bring my 2014 CR-V in and was advised there was no reason to look at my car and to wait for the cold weather to go away. He allowed me to quote him that "there is no problem, it's the vtec actuator, nothing to fix per Honda usa and assured me that no, none damage is accruing when I hear the grinding engine start noise." He suggested that I turn the key to the 'on' position for 20 seconds, turn off the key, and restart the car and I should have no issues. I tried that 2X today 2/28/2015 and still got the same harsh grinding noise. The fact the dealer won't even let me make an appointment to check this car, and with much research by myself, there is 100's of these same reports via google, youtube videos with exact sounds. I demand this car to be fixed, it is not starting correctly, and I am getting zero assistance from the Honda dealer here in rochester, NY. By the information given to me, this is a known, on-going defect in many Honda engines, and when I ask more than 50+ pre-sale questions, at no time was I given this information upfront. The dealer and Honda are simply hiding a known problem and are using horrid customer service tactics to GT around it.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 012015

CR-V

Every day when it is really cold outside and the temperatures are 20 below or so, there is a grinding noise when I start the car up. It only happens when it is really cold outside. Don't actually know where it is coming from under the hood. It only last about a second or two.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Feb 242015

CR-V

Every morning with temperatures under 20 deg F, there is a grinding noise upon start up, noise varies in duration between 1-2 seconds.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Nov 152014

CR-V 4-cyl

On 3 or 4 occasions, when it is cold, that when the car is first started, the engine makes a grinding noise. It only lasts for a second or two and when I restart the car, it doesn't reoccur. It also doesn't happen every time that it is cold. I was going to mention it the next time we took the car in for service. I've read that other owners have experienced the same problem and I share their concern that this could be damaging the engine so I wanted to add my report.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Sep 242014

CR-V 4-cyl

First thing in the morning on cold days, sometimes a grinding sound occurs when starting the engine that lasts about a second. It doesn't happen every cold morning, but it happens fairly regularly on cold mornings. I see that many people have complained about this problem and Honda has not developed a solution. This problem needs to be fixed to ensure no damage is occurring to the engine.

- Vacaville, CA, USA