CarComplaints.com Notes: Yes, the Honda Civic receives a lot of complaints because so many were sold. And sure, car parts only last so long and things eventually break. But it's never good to see this many transmission complaints, especially when the average mileage at failure is just north of 100,000 miles.

Especially when you consider that it's predecessor also has a nasty history with transmission complaints.

2002 Honda Civic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

2002 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Jul 152010

Civic

My SRS light, the sensor that checks my airbag system, has come on in my car and it won't go off. This is the second time that it has come on, the first time that it came on was around August 2005. The dealership fixed it at no cost. I don't understand why this light would keep coming on and they can't give me a specific reason why the light has come on again.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 302010

Civic

SRS light came on without any reason... dealership assures that no recalls have been issued on my make/model of car... however acknowledged that is common scenario for my make/model year... while SRS light is lit up indicates problem with seatbelts and/or airbags, the issue with seatbelts is that they will not engage/lock when brakes are slammed on and airbags will not deploy while SRS light remains lit up... Honda charges $90 to hookup to diagnostic system to determine if seatbelts or airbags, seatbelts are covered under lifetime guarantee and airbags are not... if it is a known issue as apparently it is while viewing complaints on both NHTSA.gov and Honda forums the diagnostic fee should be waived as well as recall be issued to repair any and all issues with SRS, isn't important to ensure safety and save lives....

- Florence, KY, USA

Mar 152002

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact was driving approximately 65 mph when the supplemental restraint system (SRS) warning light illuminated on the instrument panel intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where a diagnostic testing was performed for $95. The technician stated that the SRS unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired when the complaint was filed. The contact was concerned about the safety risk involved. The failure mileage was 2,500.

- Great Neck , NY, USA

Apr 052010

Civic

Car: 2002 Honda Civic LX automatic problem: SRS light came off with no reason after a web search found many people complained of the same problem and Honda issued a recall for 2001 models but not for 2002 model year even the same sensors and parts are in place.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 202010

Civic

The SRS light has been on for approximately 6 months. The car was on the recall list for the airbag inflater, so I took the car on 03/20/10 to be repaired. While there, the recall was fixed, however I was told that there was a problem with the SRS control module which controls the deployment of the airbag system which is not covered by the recall. Therefore, the airbags will not deploy due to an internal failure on this control unit. Upon doing a search of this problem on the internet, it seems as though this is common to a number of 2001 - 2002 Honda Civics and Accord...

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 092009

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. While driving 40 mph she immediately had to apply the brakes which caused her to crash head first into the side of another vehicle. Both air bags deployed during the crash; however, the contact suffered a chest injury due to the pressure of the air bag. The vehicle has not been diagnosed and there were no prior warnings, the current and failure mileages were 90,000.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Jun 012009

Civic

The SRS light is always on and the driver's seatbelt fails to engage properly. This is ongoing for at least 6 months. It often takes 6 to 8 tries to engage the seatbelt, then it becomes disengaged sometimes.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 012009

Civic

My husband and I own a 2002 Honda Civic si. Due to the recent noticed I realized we may have the same airbag and seat belt problem. Our SRS light has been permanently on for at least 6 months and our drivers side seat belt is sticking and not always locking in place. I would like to know if my complaint will be addressed, and if my car will be put on the recall list. I have contacted a Honda dealer and they have told me my car is not on the list.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 062010

Civic

Consumer is looking for a recall on 2002 Honda Civic related to SRS system. The consumer stated the air bag light illuminated and wants to know what might be the cause.

- Unknown, DC, USA

Dec 022009

Civic

I rearended someone and the passenger airbag deployed but not the driver side. My car is totaled and I went to the hospital because I couldn't breath.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Sep 152009

Civic

The SRS light is always on. The light used to only come on when the car was started, but now the light does not shut off. The seat belts work fine, so I know that the light is not coming on because of a seat belt malfunction. I worry that it is an airbag problem.

- Kettering, OH, USA

Jul 232009

Civic

Whenever the contact drives the vehicle he noticed that the SRS light had appeared on the dashboard. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealership and the contact did not notice any differences beforehand. The current and failure mileage was at 30000. Bml

- Monrovia, CA, USA

Jan 202009

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. While driving at any speed, the SRS light illuminated on the dashboard. The vehicle was not diagnosed by the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 32,000.

- Vzallejo, CA, USA

Apr 242004

Civic

The SRS sensor light for my 2002 Honda Civic has been on in my car since I purchased it in 2004. I taken the car to the dealership who told me that they do not know what the problem is. The SRS indicator light shows airbag.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Apr 052009

Civic

I have a 2002 Honda Civic and the SRS light just turned on for no reason. Not sure what is causing the problem but it is a big concern for me that this problem has to do with the my personal safety since this affects the seat belt functioning and the vehicle air bags.

- El Paso, TX, USA

May 112009

Civic

My SRS airbag light is on and according to the Honda dealership it is something with my seat belt. This seems to be a pretty common problem among the 2002 Honda Civics. Honda should recall the cars and repair it for free. The seatbelt repair is free but the test to determine the reason my light is on is $70. This is safety related and should be brought to everyone's attention and Honda needs to fix the situation without charging the consumers the $70 diagnostic fee.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Jun 162008

Civic

I have a 2002 Honda Civic and the SRS light came on. The car was diagnosed and it was reported to be an airbag malfunction. I was told by the dealer and then through my own research via the internet this is a common problem. Honda reports that the have a lifetime guarantee on all seatbelts, but not the air bags. This is dangerous and I am very disappointed.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Apr 012006

Civic

Our Honda Civic 2002 also is having the same problem as described by others, in that the SRS light is on and for seemingly no reason (according to the mechanic). The mechanic reset the light, but it came back on within 2 weeks. I wouldn't care if there truly isn't anything wrong, like the mechanic states, however, in order for the car to pass state inspection, it can not be on. Thus, it will be costly for me to take it to the local Honda dealer which already has charged an arm and a leg for a transmission that had to be replaced after only having the car for less than 4 years. I was the one that pushed my husband buy a Honda for the reliability factor, but between the transmission and now the SRS issue that needs to be resolved, it's looking like my husbands 2000 Jeep Cherokee is fairing better in repairs than my Honda?? sad!!!!! very sad!!!

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Dec 012008

Civic

Was researching recalls for 2002 Honda Civics and found other car complaint resources website stating over a dozen similar complaints on SRS restraint system failure lights coming on at similar mileages for this car and has not been recalled by the manufacturer to fix this problem which is costly and seems to be a constant problem with said car model and year.

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Nov 052008

Civic

2002 Honda Civic LX with si front seats. Previous owner had seats changed out and reports that SRS light came on two weeks ago. Light was reset. I purchased car for my son a week ago and now the light is back on again. From what I have read, I have no faith that it can be fixed. My VIN number is outside the range of the Honda export service bulletin 02-904 where it states the opds system was faulty. I am concerned that this is not a safe vehicle for my children to be driving/riding in. I will be taking it to a dealer, but I am sure the results will be expensive and no better than anybody else's repairs that have failed repeatedly. Honda needs to determine why so many systems are failing and perform proper repairs that leave a working airbag system.

- Barboursville, VA, USA