CarComplaints.com Notes: Yes, the Honda Civic receives a lot of complaints because so many were sold. And sure, car parts only last so long and things eventually break. But it's never good to see this many transmission complaints, especially when the average mileage at failure is just north of 100,000 miles.

Especially when you consider that it's predecessor also has a nasty history with transmission complaints.

9.2

$2,342.00

1. replace transmission (136 reports)
  2. rebuild transmission (58 reports)
  4. replaced transmission, Honda covered cost of parts (9 reports)
  5. open a case with honda corporate (7 reports)
  6. scrapped car (3 reports)
2002 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

2002 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 9 of 14)

Jun 012010

Civic LX V4 1.7L

I have a 02 civic with 95k miles and just like everyone else the tranny gave out with no warning. Luckily i pulled into a royal farm store a sec before it gave out. the trans. fluid was real hot and after cooling i tried to see if the transmission worked and i could back up and move forward but it gave out after a min or 2 again. Got it towed home and i was able to pull into my driveway. My mech. said I had to replace the tranny and i would spend about 2k for a rebuilt one with labor which is a good price but only cause its a side job.

I got a honda because i heard they're reliable. but a tranny giving out at 95 k is terrible especially with all these other complaints. The transmission light came on in my dash right after it gave out.What worries me is putting another 02 transmission in this car when the factory one gave out in less than a 100k miles.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 112010

Civic LX 4

Was leaving a concert with me & 3 friends when the car just stopped moving. It would rev up but wouldn't move. Luckily had friends with me to help push car off road. But there was no signs of problems car was running great. Just got oil changed and an inspection. Not sure what it is going to cost but I am glad I found this web site. I will let everyone know what the outcome is.

- , Lowell, NC, USA

May 242010

Civic LX 4 cyl

Add another one to list all of a sudden having problems accelerating on way to work.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 282010

Civic LX

Purchased car in early 2003 with under 10,000 on it. I kept up with the maintenance and never had any problems until now. As a matter of fact I just had a tune up and oil change right before my transmission died. There was no warning I just lost speed. I was on the highway doing just under 70. Luckily, I was in the right lane and was able to pull over to the shoulder. I was about a mile away from the nearest exit. I'm very grateful I was able to get off the highway without being hit or hurt. It took some time to get to the exit as I could only get 5mph from my car.

Wouldn't you know it my car broke down 1 year to the day my extended warranty expired? Thankfully, I paid off the car in 2008.

I'm not sure if I'll get a new or rebuilt transmission. I can't believe that Honda is getting away with this. Where is their fine?!

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 282010

Civic EX 1.7L

I've read the NUMEROUS complaints about the 2002 Honda Civic and the transmission issues, the same thing happened to my brother's wife's car and hers is a 2001, now I am having the same EXACT problems- car revs up but will not go into gear. I turned the car off for a little while the re-started and it only goes 20 mph. If Honda knows of the issues why won't they recall and make necessary repairs?

- , Stafford, TX, USA

Mar 272010

Civic LX

The left meter on the dash board jumped to the highest level and the speed could not go over 20 miles when my son drove our 2002 Honda Civic LX on the way home 3/27/20. There was no signal, no data when the transmission was checked by a computer detector. I called the Honda dealer and Honda Corp. They just say sorry. I don't need a sorry. I want my car fixed by Honda. This should be a recall!!!

- , San Dimas, CA, USA

Apr 022010

Civic LX

Tranny just let go on the road. Would have been a cluster for me if I would have been on interstate.

- , Clermont, FL, USA

Jan 072010

Civic LX 1.7L

All recommended servicing was completed on our 2002 Honda Civic LX with 147000KM on it. It was a huge surprise for us when the Civic's Transmission started slipping in early January 2010. I took it to the Honda servicing center and they told me that the transmission would need replacement. The quote to replace was too much for my liking so I did some research online and discovered that it was quite common for an 02 Civic to have transmission trouble. This was a first where our family has always had Honda's and they seem to last forever, not so with this one.

Our solution, we found a 2005 Civic transmission at a junk yard which had 80,000KM on it and purchased it for $700. We then found a transmission center that would install it for $600. So it ended up costing us $1300 for the total job. I wasn't going to put another 02 transmission in it for fear that the same thing would happen again.

So far, so good, we have put around 4000km on the 05 transmission and it is running smooth. Crossing our fingers it will continue to run smoothly.

Kevin

North Vancouver, BC

Canada

- , North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Feb 202010

Civic LX

Honda sucks!!! wish I had found this web site before I got this car. Tranny quit on my 18 year old daughter in the middle of nowhere in the rain and snow. I had to drive 80 miles to get her and the car. luckily I have a flatbed and could just roll it on and go home but now I have a $4K car with a $3k problem. and it WILL break again. Thanks Honda!

- , St David, AZ, USA

Mar 192010

Civic LX

While on the highway, the transmission failed without any warning, luckily no one hit me. It could have serious and fatal for me. Turns out this is a very known problem in Honda Civic 2002 models but Honda is not doing anything about it, no recalls, no notices. This issue may end up killing someone. I was told by dealer that cost of replacing is around 4000 dollars (may be little more).

My car was well maintained, I always done oil change or an expected maintenance from Honda dealer ship. No more Honda brand ever!!!!!!!

- , Newark, DE, USA

Mar 172010

Civic LX

This happened 2 weeks after a transmission flush performed at the dealership along with a timing belt and water pump. No problems on the car until then - ran like a beauty - 40 MPG on highway. And now - 2 weeks after Dealer Service - the car won't move...

- , Stamford, CT, USA

Feb 282010

Civic EX 4 cyl

Bought car in 2008-It is a 2002 civic from Honda cars of Bradenton, Florida. Was told it was a great car. Had numerous problems since I bought it 2 years ago. $700.00 for electrical problems, blower on air conditioning replaced just a few months ago. I am paying $330.00 a month for this piece of %*#@!! I was told the payments would decrease to $270.00 per month once the extended warranty was up...but I am still paying $350.00 per month for the car and now the transmission is gone. Its gonna cost $4,650.00 for a new transmission. WHAT THIEVES!!!!

- , Bradenton, FL, USA

Mar 072010

Civic LX 1.7L

the same as everybody else in this forum,driving fine till the rpm start reving with no response from transmission...car wont neither on D nor on R...it s still parked by some apts...wating for a day off to go tow her up...to where ??? i dont know :<

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 092010

Civic EX

I was at a light, when it turned green my car went BACKWARDS! i was in D gear at the time. almost hit the guy behind me. stunned, and thinking i must have hallucinated, i switched the gears around to park, then neutral, then back to D. it revved, but wouldnt go anywhere at all. finally i got it to go, slowly, and strangely. the gears kept slipping. every red light after was the same thing, i wasnt sure if it would go forwards or backwards!!!

took it to the dealership (by the way, my entire car was evaluated by them a month ago. no issues came up with the transmission. glad i didnt do the $900 worth of other 'recommended' repairs.) the dealership said my transmission 'failed' they refused to provide details. i had to fight for them to give me paperwork with the diagnosis.

my car has 112k miles on it. and i do regular maintanence on it. never had anything major come up. i didnt get the regular stuff done at the dealership because they cost two to three times more than at tire kingdom. i told the dealership about the "good will repair" i keep hearing about, and they said their quoted price of $2750 + tax already had the goodwill repair discount of 25%.

HELP!

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

Mar 062010

Civic LX 1.7L 4

Everyone on this post said it all. Just to add to the compliant list and hopefully with our voices we can make Honda own up to these problems. I have owned two Honda up to this point with this one being the second, lesser mileage vehicle. Last Saturday the transmission decided that it was done doing its task to shift gears and decided that it was better off not shifting but instead whining and grinding. I called Honda corporate today and was told to bring it in to the dealership for diagnosis. "Honda is reputable company and will do what we can to fix the problem.' Has anyone else heard that one before? I have an appointment with my local dealer to look at the vehicle. We'll see how much Honda is willing to do "all we can" to fix the problem. If this ends up with a good result, maybe the Odyssey will be on my list next since I need to go down the minivan route anyway. If not, we start from square one. I will update this post as we go along this repair process!

Update from Mar 24, 2010: Fast forward to March 24, 2010. After opening a case with Honda Corporate and negotiating with them and the dealer, I decided to replace the transmission. It was a rebuilt unit with a 3 year 36K mile warranty from time of repair. Bottom line, Honda Corporate paid 20% and I covered the remaining 80%. Never again will I deal with this dealership, Freeman Honda of Dallas. Those that live in this area, take note. This dealership will take you for a ride. All they said was they could not work a deal with me because I opened a case. The only reason my car was there was because they were close to home and I had to get the Civic to the dealership in 1st and 2nd gear only. Was not my preferred dealer. Nonetheless, it is not fixed at a cost and has completely shaken my confidence in Honda. Brand name and quality is one thing, but customer service and loyalty to customers is another. Think twice those considering a Honda. You could be changing your transmission at 79K miles.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 032010

Civic LX 1.7L

I HAVE AN EXTENDED CAR WARRANTY THROUGH STOP CAR REPAIR BILLS. THIS PEOPLE ARE SCAM ARTIST. THEY WILL NOT COVER MY TRANSMISSION COST AND I HAVE BEEN PAYING MY BILLS FOR OVER 11 MONTHS ON TIME. NO I HAVE TO FORK OVER MORE MONEY TO FIX MY TRANSMISSION THAN MY CAR IS ACTUALLY WORTH. THIS IS BULLSHIT. AMERICA HAS TURNED TO SH*T AND LET ANY COMPANY RAPE ANYONE ANYTIME THEY WANT TO. F*CK AMERICA ALL THERE POLICIES AND I THINK FINE PRINT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.

ALL I WOULD LIKE TO SAY IS F*CK "STOP CAR REPAIR BILLS.COM" AND F*CK THAT MOOK ALL OF YOU VOTED FOR PRESIDENT. OUR COUNTRY HAS GONE TO SH*T AND NOW WE ARE ALL SLAVES TO OUR FINANCIAL DEBTS BECAUSE THESE COMPANIES WILL NOT HOLD UP THERE END OF THE BARGAIN.

WE GIVE THEM A BAIL OUT AND THIS IS THE THANKS WE GET.

SUPER F*CK YOU TO ALL SCAM COMPANIES. HOPE ALL YOUR KIDS DIE IN THE CARS THAT YOU MAKE. SERIOUSLY.

- , SANTA ANA, CA, USA

Feb 252010

Civic DX 1.7L

I've never burned out a transmission on any AMERICAN car I've owned (wife killed the clutch in our 1972 MG). This Honda, my first foreign car, was supposed to be the best-built vehicle ever, blah blah blah. Normal maintenance done correctly, all recommended services done, car driven about 75 to 90 highway miles per workday since 2006 and the tranny croaks! Thinking back, I do recall random and momentary slips since 2005 or so but nothing that could be replicated. No trouble codes generated, and still none! Rebuilt tranny will be about $2500 installed. I'm going back to AMERICAN IRON, dammit!

- , Brentwood, MD, USA

Feb 102010

Civic LX

I was a firm believer in Honda's being the most amazing cars in the world. Hmmm my perspective has since changed. A complete new transmission necessary after 93,000 miles! With absolutely no warning, no signs, of anything being wrong! Come on!!!! And I'm not the only one to experience this? How is it possible that Honda does not recognize this as an issue?

I was driving along my regular commute to work when suddenly I feel the gears slipping. I'm trying to accelerate and the engine is just revving. Thankfully I have enough power to pull into a parking lot. I turn it off try turning it back on and pushing on the gas and nothing! Have to get car towed to shop and find out that I need a new transmission. Cost of Repairs: At least 4000 dollars for a new transmission. Feeling like I got hit in the gut: Priceless.... so now I am left with having to figure out if I want to spend any more money on this crappy car that may only lead to more problems or junking it and having to deal with a heavier financial burden of a new car. Thanks Honda you really lost a loyal customer.

- , Chico, CA, USA

Jan 222010

Civic EX

I was driving on the Kennedy expressway here in Chicago when I noticed I was losing speed. Luckily I was able to exit the expressway without incident before the car came to a stop. Since the engine was running but the car did not go forward nor did it move in reverse when I shifted, I figured it was the transmission. With slightly under 62000 miles on a Honda, I couldn't believe the transmission had failed, but that was the case. I always buy on the secondary market and choose what have traditionally been reliable vehicles. I have never had a vehicle from the Honda Motor Corp that needed any expensive repair in under 200,000 miles. I guess I'm gonna look at Fords next time.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 072010

Civic LX 1.7L

Transmission 110,000 km started to slip briefly between 1st, 2nd and 3th gears. Honda dealer suggested a forced flush (200$ CDN). Did very little good. On one very cold morning (-20 Celsius) the trans wouldn't put into gear: either rev or drive....Eventually after 10min of warm up it shifted ok but still was slippery. Drove 120km on highway then got into a traffic jam: the transmission would not let me go over 20 km/h with the engine rev at 4k rpm. Even

- , Montreal, Quebec, Canada