Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: We all want our SUVs to be able to stop on a dime, just not randomly and without warning. But that's what was happening to 2005 Pilot owners: their vehicles were slamming on the brakes even when they didn't. A government investigation of this problem led to a recall in March of 2013.

Another issue that keeps popping up is transmission fluid mixing with coolant in the radiator which is causing transmission failure, a costly repair to say the least.

2005 Honda Pilot seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Pilot:

2005 Honda Pilot Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jul 312015

My airbag light is on. I took my Pilot in for the recall and assumed that would fix the problem. After I picked up my vehicle I noticed that the airbag light is still on. The mechanics failed to notify me of the problem and said this is not related to the recall. This makes no sense to me since my vehicle has never been in an accident.

- Hawthorn Woods, IL, USA

May 272015

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer to be serviced under an air bag manufacturer's recall; however, the air bag warning light illuminated after the recall remedy. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag warning light illuminated due to the vehicle being involved in a crash previously. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,371. Updated 01/20/16

- Wellesley, MA, USA

Aug 182015

I did not have an incident. I am just reporting that I had to have the driver's side airbag sensor replaced in my Honda Pilot at a mileage of 204,000. After reading through online forums, several other Honda Pilot owners reported air bags not deploying during accidents and problems with airbag sensors. When I had the problem fixed at my local Honda dealer, I asked if this problem would be reported to Honda. The manager told me no it wouldn't. I asked how they kept track of problems then if they didn't monitor common repairs and problems with their vehicles. He said he doesn't know and didn't know who I should contact. This repair was $220 in August of 2015. The airbag sensor light indicator was lit on my dashboard for well over a year, maybe two years until we had the problem fixed. I think Honda should include this potentially serious problem in a recall!

- New Carlisle, OH, USA

Aug 142015

I was in the dealership for an airbag recall. They took care of the recal and charged me $114 to diagnose the air bag light. Turns out its the front airbag sensor. This seems to be a common problem looking on online posts. Im pretty upset with the fact I had to pay $114 to find this out. The dealership fixes the recall then says its gonna cost me $380 to do the airbag sensor! im strongly thinking of pursuing legal action against Honda for their failure to make my vehicle safe to drive. Letting me leave with a disabled airbag system and not even caring because they got paid!.

- Taunton, MA, USA

Jul 222015

Pilot 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V320000 (air bags); however, the parts needed were not available to perform the repairs. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall remedy. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. MA 10/23/15

- Paradise, CA, USA

Feb 262015

Pilot 6-cyl

Above vehicle was taken to dealership, yonkers ave Honda,500 yonkers avenue, yonkers NY 10704 to have safety recall performed and other routine maintenance on 2/26/15. Dealership was unable to do takata airbag recall because it did not have the part and they would notify me when part was available. A day later my red airbag light comes on in my vehicle and stays on. I am the original owner of this vehicle and this airbag bag light has never stayed on. I believe that the dealership checked the airbag during maintenance to verify what model it was, this was communicated to me by a yonkers Honda employee. After numerous phone calls between myself and their service manager it was agreed that I leave my vehicle with yonkers Honda until they could perform the recall. Vehicle was left with them on 3/7/15 and Honda provided loaner vehicle. It was not until 4/16/15 that yonkers Honda completed recall and I could pick up vehicle. Five days later red airbag light comes on again and stays on. I return to yonkers Honda where they do a diagnostic check ant they tell me it could be a airbag sensor that is not working and they would fix it at cost to me. I refuse to pay for a problem that I believe started the day I left their dealership on 2/26/2015. The dealership brought the vehicle out and now the red airbag light is not on. They have no explanation for this. On 6/3/15 the red airbag light goes on and stays on. I have called Honda and they say that they did the recall and they are not responsible for any other problems. They refuse to correct the problem at their cost. I would ask for your assistance to resolve this matter, I do not feel safe driving this vehicle but I only have one car and feel that I am been given the run around by both the dealership and Honda the company....updated 07/30/15

- Bronxville, NY, USA

May 132014

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing, but was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 (air bags); however, the part was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Miami , FL, USA

Feb 162015

Pilot 4WD 6-cyl

I was advised by my Honda dealership (russel & smith Honda) on 2/16/15 that there was a recall in my car's airbags - however the required part was not available to correct the problem. Two months later I a yet to hear from the dealer to schedule my recall fix appointment. In the interim I keep getting letters from Honda that there is a recall but it appears that there is no remedy as the parts are not available. I think Honda should ensure that appropriate parts for the air bag recall should be made available to their local dealers and advice the dealers to fix the problem in a reasonable time frame. I have waited 2 months with no word from russel & smith Honda dealer in houston and I am worried that my vehicle may not be safe for driving.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 302015

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. The contact did not receive a recall notice, but the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 (air bags). The part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Nov 292014

Pilot 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. While driving at 2 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the air bag sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000. MA 08/11/15

- Martinsville, IN, USA

Apr 032015

Pilot 6-cyl

I was parking, when the car jolted forward, I hit the brake, but the car accelerated going onto the pavement of the shopping centre, breaking two sides of a brick pillar. Both sides of the front of the car doors were destroyed and the main front, the car was a total loss. The airbags, never came out.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Feb 052015

Pilot 6-cyl

It was a three car accident. My car was in the middle waiting behind another car for a pedestrian crossing the road. Honda Odyssey coming from behind in the other lane, changed the lane and rear-ended my car at ~15 mph. My car hit the front car. Airbags deployed in the car that rear-ended me with substantial engine damage. Driver in my car along with passenger in front passenger seat got a vertical lift with seatbelt constraints holding them in place. My car's airbags did not deploy, which is my primary concern at this point. I have received a safety recall notice from Honda Pilot about drivers front airbag inflator replacement. Is there an issue with the airbags deployment too in the current generation of Honda Pilot? I have this incident noted down with american Honda motor company and they have told me that there is no issue. I want to log in this complaint here, to make sure that we are not ignoring or missing on another recall at the cost of getting humans injured. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Nov 182014

Pilot 6-cyl

My car is part of an airbag recall by Honda. I have been trying to get my airbag replaced since November of last year. The miami Honda dealerships I have approached are South motors and brahman Honda. They have been totally uncooperative and have setup systems to give customers the run around. I understand that place with hot, humid climate like Florida, are at higher risk for airbag malfunction. It is outrageous that these dealerships are playing games with my safety and the safety of my family. I do not understand what it is that they are waiting for to take care of this issue. I would like to know what it is that your Agency will do to enforce this mandate. I will be willing to file a complaint with the court or testify if needed. I look forward to hearing from you on this issue.

- South Miami, FL, USA

Feb 112015

Pilot 6-cyl

Notified of recall for driver side airbag. Have contacted local Honda dealer and Honda America customer service. Matter has not been resolved. What is my next step?

- Monmouth, OR, USA

Mar 262015

Air bags sensor failed. This seems to be a very common problem on Honda Pilot and Honda must recall and replace all sensors free of charge. They charge $400 per sensor.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Feb 122015

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V700000 (air bags) and 14V351000 (air bags). The part was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was uncertain when the part would become available to service the vehicle under the recall. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Nov 102014

Passenger side airbag should be covered and replaced under NHTSA recall 14V-700, mfr recall JM3 which states that any vehicle ever registered in the designated high humidity states, which includes Georgia, is subject to the recall. While currently a resident of North Carolina we were previously residents of Georgia where this vehicle was registered. As such I contacted a local Honda dealer who stated the driver's side was covered but the passenger side was not and they replaced the driver's side unit. I again asked them to replace the passenger side and they said no but to continue to watch for additional recalls. I then contacted Honda's national customer service number and opened a case indicating that my vehicle was previously registered in Georgia and requested they replace it as a hazard as defined in the Honda and NHTSA recall. A week later they advised that they would not replace the passenger side unit under the recall and offered no explanation. I recently sent an email to the local dealer's service manager regarding my concerns and requesting they honor the recall but received no response. It makes no sense that they would change one side deemed a safety hazard but leave the passenger in a potentially lethal situation when both units have been exposed to the same high humidity environment.

- Fuquay Varina, NC, USA

Jan 062015

The SRS light came on while driving the vehicle back to the house. Took the car to the mechanic and he analyzed the problem that the computer was not talking with the airbag system. No blown fuses no other issues noted with sensors other than failed airbag control computer unit.

- California, MD, USA

Oct 132012

Pilot 6-cyl

The pressure switch in the passenger front seat is goes on and off for no reason, with light coming on at the dashboard. We have had the airbag checked 3 times, twice by our mechanic, once by the dealer, and they say it's fine. The pressure switch is mal-functioning. We were told it would be $300-$400 to take apart the seat and replace the switch...cannot afford it.

- Succasunna, NJ, USA

Dec 182013

Pilot 6-cyl

I contacted 2 Honda dealerships (South motors and brahman Honda) about my airbag recall. After several calls and days of trying to set an appointment, I received a phone call saying that I will be contacted for an appointment soon. This was over 2 weeks ago. I live in miami, where the chances of the airbag malfunctioning is greater than anywhere else in the states. I drive in fear each day that my airbag will go off, killing me and my family. It seems that these dealerships and Honda only care about car sales, but do not care about the safety of their customers, when their product has defects.

- South Miami, FL, USA