Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

Jul 072014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the esp/ bas warning light illuminated intermittently. In addition, the four wheel drive option failed and the vehicle failed to shift gears. The contact stated that the failures occurred after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000. The VIN was not available.

- Boulder Junction, WI, USA

Feb 042013

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated while driving at various speeds, the gear shifted into four wheel drive independently and without warning. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken dealer. The technician diagnosed that the final drive controller module needed to be repaired. The failure was repaired but the problem persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jul 262014

While traveling on an expressway in central Michigan, I was using the cruise control to maintain a speed of 75 mph. With no warning at all, the mechanical components of the vehicle shut down, leaving my Jeep "dead in the highway". I was able to steer and brake, but the vehicle would not respond to acceleration by pressing the gas pedal. I pulled off to the shoulder, luckily without incident. Turned the key to the "off" position and waited about 10 seconds. I turned the key to the "on" position and it started back up. I cautiously drove at a considerably slower speed until I was able to get to a rest stop. When I got to my destination I found a local auto parts store and had them do a diagnostic check. It showed a maf sensor gone bad. Mass air flow sensor was replaced. Hoping that was the issue, after several days, my family and I headed back home on the other side of the state. While driving about 60 mph with cruise control, there were no issues. I figured the problem was fixed. Unfortunately, I was wrong. As I reached the highway where the speed limit is 70 mph, I accelerated to 70 mph with the cruise control. As soon as I broke the 70 mph point, the car mechanically stalled again as I was trying to merge onto the busy highway. Again, luckily, I made it safely to the shoulder and restarted. I was able to exceed 70 mph on the way home without using the cruise control. Concerned for my pregnant wife, toddler son, and my own safety, as this happened on a busy highway at a high rate of speed; with no warning lights or sounds.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

May 012014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving various speeds, the vehicle decelerated independently. The dealer was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The failure mileage was 117,000.

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Oct 012014

Commander 8-cyl

My vehicle is a 2006 Jeep Commander that I have had numerous issues with even though it only has about 78,000 miles. I was driving down a residential street when it stalled and after I cut off the engine to restart it the vehicle would not turn over. I had it towed to a repair shop and was told it was the control relay module that was not communicating effectively. I have had the transmission replaced, all the recalls done, and many other things. This is so unsafe and ridiculous. Its nearly $1,000 to have this part replaced, but because it is such a common issue it is on back order. Chrysler should take responsibility for the defective items they produce and sell to customers who bear the brunt of having a barely drivable, money pit.

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Sep 012014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle seem to loose power while cruising at or around 45 mph or when engages 4th gear. RPM's drop really quick from 3500 to almost 1500 RPM's in matters of second. Increasing the risk of a rear end collision if trying to overtake another vehicle or driving up hill, dealer can't find problem. Problems happens every time under any weather condition.

- Reading, PA, USA

Aug 192014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the transmission shifted from drive to third gear independently. The transmission became stuck in third causing the vehicle to become inoperable. The vehicle was taken to dealer. The technician diagnosed that the left solenoid needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 96,590. Updated 11/14/14 updated 4/29/2015

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Mar 052014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and all the instrument panel indicators illuminated. The vehicle was able to be restarted, but the failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The mechanic stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 102014

After Jeep recall 4 wheel low fails to engage. It gives a maintenance error instead.. this is affecting a lot of the Jeep with the trac 2 system. Look at the Jeep forums. This was the final drive recall.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Mar 072011

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The vehicle rolled away while parked. In addition, the vehicle failed to start on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Jul 182014

Commander 8-cyl

At any speed, anytime, cold or hot, the vehicle will produce a message on the instrument cluster information center stating " transmission over temp ". the vehicle was brought to the mechanic two times already and can't find anything wrong. This message will display on a cool morning upon start up or after the vehicle has been running for some time. The message will not stay on longer than a few minutes, then will turn off. A ton of research has been done and no one has the answer yet. The only thing I came across was to replace the PCM/ECM, someone stated there was a glitch with the computer. Many people have this recurring problem and it can't be fixed yet.

- Farmingdale, NY, USA

Jun 112012

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

Our Jeep doesn't stay in gear, to back up out of driveway must go from reverse to neutral several times to engage. Also will slip from drive to neutral while driving. There have been many, many, times that our Jeep doesn't know it is in park or neutral and will not start until you mess for along time with shifter. Contact was made with dealers in area and they state our VIN. Isn't part of recall. When driving our Jeep has put itself into neutral but shifter is in drive position... please help us..

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Oct 162013

Commander 8-cyl

For no reason the Jeep would just die, on the intrastate, in town, anywhere, just shut off, then after a hour or so it would start again. After being in the shop many weeks for this, the two computers were found to be the problem. Changed the computers, at the fee of almost $ 2000 and no more problems, which the money is nothing knowing my teenage daughter wont stall on the intrastate and be killed. Chrylser Corp can care less !!!!

- Lake Charles , LA, USA

Jul 062013

Hello, my 2006 Jeep Commander started stalling out over a year ago and has stalled on me on and off various times at different speeds but usually at a higher rate of speed, which has been very scary. I have chosen not to drive the vehicle anymore and now it is sitting in my driveway and I am driving a 1991 Honda because I cannot afford to buy a new car at this time. I just paid this Jeep off and now I cannot drive the vehicle. The dealer fixed the one recall on the vehicle called the front control module and it ran fine for a couple of weeks and now once again the car stalled out while I was headed to a camping trip with my kids a couple months ago going 50 mph and almost caused an accident. I was almost hit by a semi and several cars were honking and trying to avoid my Jeep. I lose all power steering and there are no notifications that the car will stall so it is very scary and dangerous for me and my children. I am so upset that I cannot drive the car and feel safe. I have contacted Jeep and they have a recall for 2006 Jeep Commanders that covers up to January 2006 and my vehicle was made in March so they told me there is nothing they can do. The recall was for the PCM which my car has the same code on the diagnosis but now they are telling me to take it to the dealer and I have to pay for this. I really hope that this situation can be resolved by Jeep stepping up and taking care of this issue for the safety of people.

- New Carlisle , OH, USA

Aug 062014

Commander 8-cyl

Everytime I drive my Jeep it stalls and the wheel locks up (basically turns into manual steering) and my brakes lock up ( no brakes at all) and I had just bought this Jeep a wk go from mcgee Chevrolet in raynham MA. The first night I drove it home it stalled pulling in to the driveway. I called the dealership the next morning to tell them and they wouldn't take the Jeep til the following wk to look at it they came up with every excuse in the world. When I brought the Jeep in today they had me sign a deductible of 100 dollars but yet when I first test drove the Jeep it I told them to fix it but all they did was cleared the codes (flashed the computer) now I have a rejection sticker on the vehicle and no car.

- Mashpee, MA, USA

Jul 092013

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The dealer stated that the transmission needed to be replaced and that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V203000 (power train). The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 072014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the instrument panel lights flickered and there was an intermittent electrical short with the lighting on the dashboard and the headlights. The contact stated that at times it was difficult to change gears from the gear box. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that the dialog idle air control valve needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 07V434000 (service brakes, hydraulic) and 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- River Edge, NJ, USA

Feb 262014

I purchased this vehicle 2/15/14 three weeks later while driving on highway the gauges just came on and kept flashing it continued for the duration of my drive. Once I got to work and put it in park and turn it off and restarted it nothing happened. So 8.5 to 9 hrs later back on the highway it does it again this time just flashed 3 times. It was taking to a shop per finance company to which the mechanic kept for almost 2 weeks. The mechanic stated he could not find anything wrong with it. He needed to see it happen. So I took it back home the first week nothing happened. Second week nothing that third week it happened again this time while on highway on the way to work my speed dropped from 60 to 5 in less than a second. I pulled over and sat for 2 to 3 minutes an proceeded on with my cell phone ready to snap a picture if it happened again and low and be hold it does it again and this time it was continues until I turned off the vehicle once again it was taken to the shop with the proof he needed and again he stated he could not find anything wrong so he took it to Jeep Chrysler and had them reset everything and gave it back to me. For the next month nothing happened. But the following month once again the problem starts again. But this time it completely knocked out my radio. The finance company want help and I don't know what to do. Today is the 25th of July but two or three days ago there was a recall on 2006-2007 Jeep Commanders for faulty ignition switches. I really do not feel safe for me or my kids in this vehicle but noone seems to care. Not sure what to do about this problem but I truly hope you do.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 212014

Commander 8-cyl

Braking to approach a red light at an intersection the brakes felt mushy followed by complete loss of power. I was stopped in the inside lane of a 4-lane hwy at an intersection without power!. after a moment of panic....thank heavens no oncoming traffic behind me....I put the car into park and restarted the engine. I traveled two blocks to where I could safely exit the hwy and park. After a few minutes while I calmed down I proceeded to drive the vehicle to my home. Since that time I have tried to get the vehicle in for a check but cannot get an appointment until August. It has been a few days and I have no choice but to use the vehicle. I have noted some missing and hesitating from time to time but not complete failure. However, I would not take this vehicle on an open hwy as it is performing right now.

- Mccook, NE, USA

May 302014

Commander 8-cyl

My Jeep had an N23 recall performed at park Jeep in burnsville, mn. After the recall was performed, the four wheel drive system low range became inoperable. A message appears on the dash: 'service four wheel drive'. I notified the dealer about his issue. They performed some reprogramming that they said would fix the issue. This reprogramming did not work, as the issue has returned, and my four wheel drive system is not operating as expected. I notified Jeep customer service, and they have no solution for this problem. The dealer has no solution for this problem. About 500,000 Grand Cherokee and Commanders that have this four wheel drive system are affected. No one can guarantee that it will not affect normal operation of the vehicle. And no one knows what the system can do in traffic on it's own without warning to the driver of the vehicle. The N23 recall performed by my Jeep dealer has created this problem, and it needs to be addressed by the manufacturer now. Chrysler/Jeep needs to provide a proper repair so that the owners of these vehicles can count on their Jeep to perform as they were represented to perform when purchased, and with the knowledge that the vehicle will perform in a safe manner with no unexpected limitations or actions as they are driven on the public roads. Search on the internet will show scores of links to this N23 recall created problem, and Chrysler/Jeep's lack of action on this issue. This needs action now.

- Eagan, MN, USA