NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Page 22 of 24)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 22 of 24)

Jul 302013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Jeep Grand Cherokee started having a slight miss in early July. Then Jeep would not start. Waited 2 minutes then Jeep started. Had Jeep serviced including new spark plugs from Chrysler. Still had miss at idle. Drove Jeep from northern California to southern California. Still had miss. Sitting in heavy traffic Jeep stalled and caused a traffic backup. Waited for a couple of minutes then Jeep started.took Jeep to the Jeep dealer in Aug. Dealer did software upgrade. Still had rough idle and hard to start. Took Jeep in again. They said to order a tipm. Dealer said it would be at least several weeks to get the part and to park the Jeep due to the stalling out situation. Wrote an email to the Jeep CEO. Jeep responded. The tipm was replaced in early Sept. Stalling is gone but the rough idle is now back. This issues could be very dangerous. Considering how Jeep are used (off road, long trips) one could easily be stranded or worse. Given the number of complaints and the long period of time to get a part it would seem like a recall is in order. It appears that the part is no longer manufactured due to a bankruptcy of the oem. There are thousands of us having this problem and we need help!

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Oct 062013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Tipm- I went to start my Jeep this morning that felt like a weak start up, it then hiccuped and died. Thinking it maybe just a one time incident, tried again, with the result of the starter just cranking for about 5-6 seconds. This repeated multiple more times before I called a tow truck to take to a local mechanic. It was diagnosed with bad fuel pumps, and the cost to replace was $1600. This prompted me to call the dealership and ask if that's even possible. After explaining the issue at hand, the service manager told me that he doesn't believe the issue to be caused by faulty pumps, but from the tipm. This is obviously not the first time he has heard of this issue. I then did some research on the web and found this to be a pretty prevalent issue amongst owners of this year, make, and model. When I called him back to see if the backorder issues were true, he told me it would take around three weeks to get the part. I immediately asked for the Jeep corporate number, called them, and began to speak to a guy about it there. He told me that the production rate was one per 7 days... and that coupled with there are tons of these cases out there is why it was going to take a while to get the part. He went on to tell me that sounds crazy, but its just how fast, (or slow) they are producing them. I asked if the new product was a replica of the original and he said this is a solution for the previous one and would fix the problem, not just a bandaid. He advised me to have it fixed and hope the recall comes and I would be eligible for a reimbursement. With the price of this fix being so high and the amount of people affected, this has to be recalled. Please have anyone having this issue file a complaint here. This customer service rep told me there just hasn't been enough formal complaints about it to validate a recall....

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Dec 102011

Grand Cherokee

Recently having issues while trying to start my 2011 Jeep gc. The engine will turn over but will not start the electronic throttle control (etc) warning light comes on. This has been happening intermittently and becoming more frequent. In doing research, it seems this is a common problem with this model and the replacement part is not only costly, but on bo for a undisclosed time frame.

- Montgomery,, AL, USA

Sep 052011

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle will not start. Apparently all of the 2011 SUV Jeep Grand Cherokee have the issue with the tipm. The part will cost me over a thousand dollars to repair and the part is on backorder. In the meantime, I have no transportation to get to work. I have bad knees and a bad back and cannot continue taking the bus. I am a teacher and have been late getting to school for the past 2 weeks.

- New Rochelle, NY, USA

Aug 072012

Grand Cherokee

The remote start on the Jeep starts but does not run. I was told the tipm was bad in it and cuts off fuel to the Jeep and also causes the ar bags not to work, also controls alot of other electrical parts on the Jeep. I feel Jeep should have already had a recall on this part as they know there are numerous problems anad they are putting people in danger while driving. I undertand there are so many bad they are on back order for "several months". this is not fair to the consumer to be placed in this kind of danger, nor not be able to get the part for over several months.

- Soddy Daisy, TN, USA

Sep 162013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

There seems to be thousands of cases on the internet like mine. The car won't start when cold. To get it to start, you have to try and try pushing the starter button. Eventually, it will start after 10-25 times. I'm told this is caused by a defective tipm (computer). I'm told that eventually the car won't start at all. I see this as a safety issue, as if you can't get your car started you can get into a lot of trouble if you are in harm's way. There are thousands of issues like this. The replacement part is not even available. Chrysler told me it would take 3 weeks to even get the replacement computer. That means that the car is essentially not usable for at a minimum 3 weeks. This car needs to be recalled.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jul 102013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have been waiting since July for tipm replacement. (went out @ 17,000 miles) vehicle difficult to start. Was told by dealership to keep trying to drive until the part became available. However, during this time the vehicle started stalling in traffic and while driving, making this a very unsafe situation! car is parked now and dealer estimates 4-6 wks until tipm will become available due to backorder.

- Grand Cayman, SC, USA

Sep 192013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - tipm went out at 59,000 miles. No longer under warranty. This part is integral to the working of the car-air bags, accessories, dash, fuel pump, etc. According to the dealer, this part is on back order and they do not know when it will become available. They currently have several vehicles there that have been waiting longer than 6 weeks. According to an internet search, this is a wide spread problem and Chrysler has yet to recall or accommodate owners. This is a safety issue!!!!!

- Spring, TX, USA

Sep 202013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Totally integrated power module is going out on multiple Jeep vehicles. The tipm controls lights, horns, wipers, air bags, etc. When the part quits working, it causes multiple issues with the vehicle. The vehicle will not start, which can leave the owner stranded. The wipers, horn, etc., just turn on, which could cause an accident. And, the air bags may not deploy if in an accident. The tipm is on national back order, which means waiting weeks for repair and Chrysler is refusing to pay for a rental car for the owner. And, will the replacement last longer than the original? the vehicle needs to be recalled and replaced.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My 2011 Grand Cherokee has been in the shop for 11 weeks waiting on a part.the part is a tipm. Without this part Jeep doesn't start. People at dealership where I purchased Jeep treat my daughter the owner like it is our fault.

- Clewiston, FL, USA

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The contact attempted to start the vehicle several times before the engine engaged. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the total integrated power module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Renton, WA, USA

Sep 172013

Grand Cherokee

Tried to start the Jeep in the morning and it would crank but not turn over and start. Called the Jeep dealership and had it towed in. After they checked it they said a tipm unit went bad and may take days to months to get a new one and would cost $1300. The vehicle is under 3 years old and I found several hundred other persons having the exact same problem in different states. I would request an inquiry into this issue and see if a formal recall is in order. Thank you in advance for any help you could provide.

- Goddard, KS, USA

Sep 172013

Grand Cherokee

Thanks for the chance to post, I too have been experiencing the same issue. I noticed it a few weeks ago when my battery started showing signs of going dead. I also heard the noise after exiting the truck in the evenings. I thought the noise was some electronics resetting itself, but thought it would eventually shutoff. I did not think this could be killing my battery. I too had to buy a battery thanks cost me a pretty penny now to learn it too would be dead soon. After going to the dealership today for an oil change the truck died in their service bay. Not even five minutes after leaving, the service rep called me and explained how they had to push my truck to their service bay due to a bad totally integrated power module (tipm). We are now with out a vehicle for an undisclosed time and still have the obligation to pay for a product of no use. Chrysler has to find way to address this or it can cost them dearly in reputation and in the pocket if the results don't get better. A recall would be a start but people are without vehicles with monthly payments! not a good look Chrysler looks like a class action situation.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 052013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

2 weeks ago my car would not start, did get it started, took to dealer ship. Its apparently the timp module. This part is on back order I was told it would be in this week its not and they are not sure. It take a few tries to get it started. And twice it stalled while driving. And its making a knocking. May I add this started at 36600. Miles.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Aug 172013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Forum after forum of the same issues are happening to make and model. Users are unable to start car because of tipm issue. Apparently people have even lost power to car while driving. The tipm is also connected with air bag deployment and it will not deploy should the car lose power and hit anything. Most people cannot even afford to replace the 1200 issue. This should be a national recall or expect many accidents caused by this for those that are lucky enough to finally get the car started.

- Bonner Springs, KS, USA

Sep 162013

Grand Cherokee

The tipm that controls the air bags and fuel pump along with many other systems is faulty. There is a nationwide demand for new tipm systems for Jeep but no supply. Chrysler is saying a new tipm system is back ordered for several months forcing Jeep owners to drive unsafe vehicles that could shut off at any moment and not deploy the air bags. This has become a nationwide problem.

- Houston, TX, USA

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

National problem! trouble starting vehicle - bad tipm. Many reports of other Jeep and Chrysler have the same issue with this batch of bad parts. Log onto any Jeep forum and look around! took 25 minutes to get the tipm to start up the engine. Starting trouble went away for a couple of days but is increasingly getting worse. The problem is now effecting about every third start up and has made me miss a job interview because of the lack of reliability. Took the Jeep to the dealer, they installed all the flash updates for the tipm - no difference after the flashes were installed. Dealer said that I needed a new tipm. The crappy problem is that the part is on a 3 month back order! they are not wanting to cover this under warranty (under 3 years / over 36,000 miles) but I placed a complaint with Chrysler customer service to both expedite the part and get it covered under warranty. When I called the Chrysler customer servicer line, I was told that I was her second tipm issue this morning! I was told the tipm would cost me $1,000.....even if you could order the part! drove vehicle home, because I could not afford a rental car for and unspecified amount of time, and have had issues every day. Last week, the Jeep stalled while I was doing 45 mph on a city road. Was able to coast to the shoulder with no incident, but it took about 15 minutes of continuous trial to get the vehicle started again. I will not take my wife and kids in the Jeep with me until this issue is resolved.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Sep 062013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My 2011 overland began hesitating while driving on Friday 9/6. was able to return home safely. Turned off the engine and then was unable to restart the vehicle. Had the vehicle taken to a local dealership and was told that the tipm module had failed which Chrysler is aware of the faulty part and has already changed manufacturers. I was told due to a back order the dealerships are limited to ordering only one module per week and therefore no eta could be given for my vehicle's repairs. I called the Chrysler corporate offices and was told that they would attempt to expedite the part and I could rent a car and submit my bill for "possible" reimbursement. This is a failure on a number of levels that a company that is now flush with cash again due to a gov't bailout has the parts to crank out new vehicles but will leave paying customers with no information other than to "be patient". I will not attempt to buy american again. Back to Acura I go!

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

Sep 092013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I was having trouble getting my car started. It would crank but not start. Had it towed to the dealer and I was told the tipm (totally integrated power module) needs to be replaced. There is a faulty relay that controls the fuel pump which results in a crank but no start condition. The cost was ridiculous but even worse was that it would take up to two weeks to get the part. In doing some checking, it seems that there are currently over 1300 orders for this part with none available. There is a scheduled release to dealers this week of about 450 with another release in about 2 more weeks. Currently there is a demand of 449 per week. There must be something wrong with the way this part was manufactured for it to break down so much. Or is Chrysler just making a buck by taking advantage of us? either way, I'm going back to foreign cars. American made hasn't been very good to me.

- Lutz, FL, USA

Aug 222013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Car will not start or operate at all due to a bad tipm, this problem is now wide spread through the nation with Jeep / Chrysler customers. My Jeep will be at the dealer ship for about 3 weeks waiting for the back ordered tipm to come in.

- Miami, FL, USA