Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 22 of 24)

Sep 172013

Grand Cherokee

Thanks for the chance to post, I too have been experiencing the same issue. I noticed it a few weeks ago when my battery started showing signs of going dead. I also heard the noise after exiting the truck in the evenings. I thought the noise was some electronics resetting itself, but thought it would eventually shutoff. I did not think this could be killing my battery. I too had to buy a battery thanks cost me a pretty penny now to learn it too would be dead soon. After going to the dealership today for an oil change the truck died in their service bay. Not even five minutes after leaving, the service rep called me and explained how they had to push my truck to their service bay due to a bad totally integrated power module (tipm). We are now with out a vehicle for an undisclosed time and still have the obligation to pay for a product of no use. Chrysler has to find way to address this or it can cost them dearly in reputation and in the pocket if the results don't get better. A recall would be a start but people are without vehicles with monthly payments! not a good look Chrysler looks like a class action situation.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 052013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

2 weeks ago my car would not start, did get it started, took to dealer ship. Its apparently the timp module. This part is on back order I was told it would be in this week its not and they are not sure. It take a few tries to get it started. And twice it stalled while driving. And its making a knocking. May I add this started at 36600. Miles.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Aug 172013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Forum after forum of the same issues are happening to make and model. Users are unable to start car because of tipm issue. Apparently people have even lost power to car while driving. The tipm is also connected with air bag deployment and it will not deploy should the car lose power and hit anything. Most people cannot even afford to replace the 1200 issue. This should be a national recall or expect many accidents caused by this for those that are lucky enough to finally get the car started.

- Bonner Springs, KS, USA

Sep 162013

Grand Cherokee

The tipm that controls the air bags and fuel pump along with many other systems is faulty. There is a nationwide demand for new tipm systems for Jeep but no supply. Chrysler is saying a new tipm system is back ordered for several months forcing Jeep owners to drive unsafe vehicles that could shut off at any moment and not deploy the air bags. This has become a nationwide problem.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 012013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

National problem! trouble starting vehicle - bad tipm. Many reports of other Jeep and Chrysler have the same issue with this batch of bad parts. Log onto any Jeep forum and look around! took 25 minutes to get the tipm to start up the engine. Starting trouble went away for a couple of days but is increasingly getting worse. The problem is now effecting about every third start up and has made me miss a job interview because of the lack of reliability. Took the Jeep to the dealer, they installed all the flash updates for the tipm - no difference after the flashes were installed. Dealer said that I needed a new tipm. The crappy problem is that the part is on a 3 month back order! they are not wanting to cover this under warranty (under 3 years / over 36,000 miles) but I placed a complaint with Chrysler customer service to both expedite the part and get it covered under warranty. When I called the Chrysler customer servicer line, I was told that I was her second tipm issue this morning! I was told the tipm would cost me $1,000.....even if you could order the part! drove vehicle home, because I could not afford a rental car for and unspecified amount of time, and have had issues every day. Last week, the Jeep stalled while I was doing 45 mph on a city road. Was able to coast to the shoulder with no incident, but it took about 15 minutes of continuous trial to get the vehicle started again. I will not take my wife and kids in the Jeep with me until this issue is resolved.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Sep 062013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My 2011 overland began hesitating while driving on Friday 9/6. was able to return home safely. Turned off the engine and then was unable to restart the vehicle. Had the vehicle taken to a local dealership and was told that the tipm module had failed which Chrysler is aware of the faulty part and has already changed manufacturers. I was told due to a back order the dealerships are limited to ordering only one module per week and therefore no eta could be given for my vehicle's repairs. I called the Chrysler corporate offices and was told that they would attempt to expedite the part and I could rent a car and submit my bill for "possible" reimbursement. This is a failure on a number of levels that a company that is now flush with cash again due to a gov't bailout has the parts to crank out new vehicles but will leave paying customers with no information other than to "be patient". I will not attempt to buy american again. Back to Acura I go!

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

Sep 092013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I was having trouble getting my car started. It would crank but not start. Had it towed to the dealer and I was told the tipm (totally integrated power module) needs to be replaced. There is a faulty relay that controls the fuel pump which results in a crank but no start condition. The cost was ridiculous but even worse was that it would take up to two weeks to get the part. In doing some checking, it seems that there are currently over 1300 orders for this part with none available. There is a scheduled release to dealers this week of about 450 with another release in about 2 more weeks. Currently there is a demand of 449 per week. There must be something wrong with the way this part was manufactured for it to break down so much. Or is Chrysler just making a buck by taking advantage of us? either way, I'm going back to foreign cars. American made hasn't been very good to me.

- Lutz, FL, USA

Aug 222013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Car will not start or operate at all due to a bad tipm, this problem is now wide spread through the nation with Jeep / Chrysler customers. My Jeep will be at the dealer ship for about 3 weeks waiting for the back ordered tipm to come in.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 022013

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle cranks but does not starts. Part not available. Dealer claims is in national backorder. Vehicle was towed to dealer and diagnosed as a defective total integrated power module. Other 17 similar vehicles waiting for same part at Chrysler Jeep dealer repair shop.

- Toa Baja, PR, USA

Jul 252013

Grand Cherokee

I tried to start my Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011 with the push start and it turned over but would not crank. I finally got it crank after several tries and waiting five minutes. I have since experienced intermittent problems starting my Jeep each morning or after it sits for more than four hours. In the past week I have experienced difficulty starting everyday. It getting harder to start. I read online that a lot of people are having the same problem and someone recommended using the remote start button to start your vehicle. That is the only way I have been successful getting my Jeep cranked each day. I took my vehicle to the Jeep dealership and they said I need a tipm and it is not covered under warranty. I am a female nurse who drives my car for a living and I do not feel safe in my vehicle. I go in unsafe areas for my job and it is not a good feeling worry if my Jeep start. It is going to cost over $1200 to get my car repaired and part is on back order. I worry everyday that I will get stranded and this is suppose to be an award winning SUV. Please help me!

- Holly Springs, NC, USA

Sep 062013

Grand Cherokee

Car won't stop. Tipm fuse exploded. Jeep dealer says I won't have a car for2 weeks and Jeep won't cover this main stream issue. I found 1200 complaints on the same issue. We want extended warranty or full recall on all Jeep Grand Cherokee. 2011 and 2012. People can die if their car shuts off on the highway. I was warned I can die if I drive this Jeep by shaver Jeep in thousand oaks ca. Tipm needs recall and will end up killing Jeep owners

- Woodland Hills , CA, USA

Sep 052013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Starting issues - cranks but won't start. 2011 Jeep gc overland 4X4 5.7L hemi, 19,200 miles. Bad part: "totally integrated power module" (tipm) part# rl692316ai. Part is on "back order" dealer best guess is 3 to 6 wks or more - they do not know. Corporate confirmed parts situation. Aug 26, 2013 1st day Jeep in shop. Dealers now has 3 vehicles all waiting for this part. My concern is that there is more demand than parts and will the new part be upgraded to eliminate problem. Dealer part cost about $1,000 plus labor if out of warranty. Sept 5, 2013 now 11 days in shop with no more information on part. I hope this data will support a recall for tipm part # rl692316A used in 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and other vehicles too.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Aug 292013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

My Jeep Grand Cherokee overland 4X4 2011 is experiencing starting problems. The yark Jeep dealer in toledo Ohio diagnosed the problem to be the total integrated power module or tipm on September 4, 2013. I had not driven the car for 5 days due to a fear of being in a strange place and not being able to get the car started. The yark dealership, on advice of Chrysler, performed a software update, which seemed to work for about an hour at the dealership. Then it [constant starter cranking, which the dealership said was because the tipm was not sending any power to the fuel pump] started again at the dealership. Now, I am being told, by the yark dealership, that there is a 2000 part backlog on the tipm and that the part-distributor re-stocking date has moved from 9/9/2013 to 9/23/2013. If the delivery date holds I will be without my vehicle for about three weeks. Internet research ( reveals many people that the same problem and Chrysler will not pay for a rental car unless the tipm is totally non-functional which I feel is unacceptable.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Aug 292013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Incident on 8/29/13 car stalled to start- took car to dealer on 8/30/13 and they diagnosed it to be the tipm. Part was ordered but the dealer does not know when it is coming in and it is on national backorder. This tipm causes the car not to start. It took me about 5 tries to start my car- then finally it started. The car basically starts when it wants to. Called corporate 9/4 and spoke with ella complaining on the issue. She then called the dealer and confirmed that part has been ordered but does not know an arrival date. She said they will email monthly on the status of my part. I then said "monthly". she replied yes we don't know when the part will be in. I told her I am getting very agitated and that I cannot afford to pay a car note on top of a rental. I asked her what do they do in a situation when a car cannot be fixed"??" do you refund $$ give a new car.... she could not answer (basically saying no). I told her my rental will be up on Saturday and I want a new one on their expense because their should be no reason for the dealer not having this part or knowing when it will be in. She advised me to call back on Saturday regarding the rental. Some cars at my dealer have been waiting for this part for month. She stated that she will escalate me file with special tracking. It seems like Chrysler is telling all vehicle owners this.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Aug 272013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee finally stopped on September 2, 2013. I had to have it towed to the nearest Jeep dealership. After three weeks of it not wanting to start and leaving me stranded several times I was forced to buy a new battery only for it to do the same thing. Today it was diagnosed as having a bad tipm. But that's not the bad part, a tipm is $1200 and it is on back order indefinitely! looked it up online today and found hundreds of people waiting for the same tipm part. This item should be recalled by Jeep and repaired for no charge since it also controls the airbags. Jeep needs to fix this problem immediately. In the meantime, I, along with several other hundred people, have a 2 year old car that is just sitting at a dealership and we are not able to get fixed.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Jul 222013

Grand Cherokee

Went to start my Jeep after it sat for a few hours and noticed extended cranking. It did fire up and I drove 65 miles to the gym. Same extended cranking issue when I got out the gym an hour later, but eventually, started and I made it home. Did this one more time few days later and the first Monday in August it wouldn't start when I went to leave for work in the morning. Took my wife's vehicle O work and she tried it a few hours later and it fired right up. Brought to local shop to have them look at it since they can service my extended warranty. After a few days there I was notified that it was he tipm and the part we on order, but was on national back order from Jeep and I was number 141 in line waiting for one. As of today, 9/3/14, still no part and still no estimated delivery of said tipm. I have not been able to drive the Jeep since then because it is unreliable transportation and my job requires me to travel up to 300 miles per day. Have now made two payments on a vehicle I can't use.

- River Ridge, LA, USA

Aug 232013

Grand Cherokee

My vehicle would not crank and stalls. Battery replaced, $179 later.mechanic told me that it had updates and reflashed those for $50 and advised me to take back to the dealership for an integrated module. After service evaluated my Jeep, I was told that the problem existed in the tipm. This product is on at least a 6 week back order and that is not a guarantee. Also, there have been no recalls on this product. I have a busy commute to work in heavy traffic. My Jeep stalled on the interstate and I had to veer toward the ditch to avoid an accident. If I were hit, would my airbags even deploy? this is a safety violation!

- Louisburg, NC, USA

Aug 192013

Grand Cherokee

The tipm, a part of the computer, has failed and the vehicle will no longer start. Vehicles have also been known to stall, although this did not happen to me. Chrysler has failed to recall despite hundreds of issues. My small dealer in greensboro, nc has 4 vehicles with this issues. There are no parts available, and they are giving no estimate on when parts will be available. So far Chrysler has failed to recognize the widespread nature of the incident, despite hundreds of online posts by owners, and my dealers recognition of multiple vehicles in their shop for this issue.

- High Point, NC, USA

Jun 242013

Grand Cherokee

This issue has to do with the totally integrated power module (tipm) used in Jeep and other makes. This part is responsible for a lot of the power switching/modulation/distribution, and communications with other systems in the electrical system. There are numerous complaints online regarding this part that is on national backorder. Our car has been out of service sitting at a Jeep dealer since July with no estimate from Chrysler of when the part might be available. There has been no talk of a recall at this point. The part almost always goes bad after the warranty has lapsed and costs anywhere from $900 - $1400 depending on the dealership, etc. Once it goes, the car is rendered useless. We spent $2,000 at a mechanic who thought it was the fuel pump and an additional $1000+ on a rental car before the car was towed to the dealer. We are unable to only have one car, so we have now bought a third car. Fortunately we are in a position to do this. Many people are unable to afford even a rental. The safety issue comes into play because the car may jsut stop while you are driving. This did happen to ours once, but it was before there was an obvious problem and the car worked fine after the incident so we never looked into it. There is also the issue that sometimes it may start, but if you turn the car off it may not start the next time possibly stranding the driver who knows where. At this point people would just like this issue acknowledged and investigated.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Aug 152013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has a defective part called a tipm (totally integrated power module). It downloads data and is part of the onboard computer and specialized for each vehicle. My defective tipm causes the vehicle to stall and eventually it will prevent it from starting. The tipm is covered under my extended warranty, but the part is on national backorder and Chrysler is unable to get it from the manufacturer (at least that's what they tell us). I have read on some message boards that they do not have the rights to produce the tipm themselves and that the company that makes it is going bankrupt and closing. It is also likely that whoever makes it is in another country (they will not tell us where). Chrysler is treating people differently - those without warranties are completely out of luck. They have no working/safe/reliable vehicle and have to pay for the repair, but since the part is not available, no luck and no transportation. Those of us with warranties are told different lies. They give us a date that is a month or two away, then when that comes around, they change the date. We have the added "bonus" of being in jeopardy each and every time we drive somewhere and not knowing if we will be stranded or not. There are at least several hundred people having this problem, and according to one post I read on, the Chrysler case manager told someone that 25,000 of these were needed. Chrysler is well aware of this defect, but they refuse to do a recall and so far they have not provided me with a rental car. They claim that they will, but then play the phone game, where Chrysler usa, cannot reach the service manager at the local dealership, who cannot reach the rental department and so on.

- Greensboro, NC, USA