Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Jun 112012

Grand Cherokee

In June 2012 I began having issues with my vehicle giving a hard start and stalling. I reported it several times and carried it to the dealership many times. They installed a device to track what is causing the stall issue. They said the device did not read anything but the stalling was not happening as often after this device was removed. In October 2014, my vehicle began giving the hard start again every single time I start my vehicle and the stalling became very frequent. On November 4,2014 my vehicle stalled out and did not want to start resulting in me having to rent a car. I am really frustrated with this situation because all it is goin to do is affect another part on my vehicle. I had this for 4 years and I've had so much problems and had to change so many parts... this Jeep is the lemon of the bunch.

- Christiansted, VI, USA

Nov 072014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the front end of the vehicle began to shake violently and the contact was unable to control the vehicle before it suddenly stalled. The contact indicated that during the incident the check engine light illuminated and the engine could not be restarted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Oct 272014

Grand Cherokee

The first time my Jeep stalled I was going around a turn and almost crashed into a highway barrier. I waited a couple minutes, turned my car back on, and kept driving. The second time it stalled, about 1 month later, I was turning into my driveway. It would not turn back on at this point. I brought it to the dealership and after 2 hours of diagnostics they informed me it was the tipm and would be $1,200 to fix. After searching online about this part, I noticed many other complains of this same issue for a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is clearly a faulty part and should be recalled. If my vehicle had stalled in different conditions, the results could have been fatal.

- Raymond, NH, USA

Oct 302014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I was driving home on the interstate an my Jeep just stalled an turned off while I was driving an when I attempted to restart it kept acting like it was trying to but then wouldn't after a while I was finally able to get started again an I have had the same thing happen a few different occasions an have almost been hit or unable to pull off out of traffic.

- Van Buren, AR, USA

Oct 082014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

A 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 64,000 miles on it is sitting in my driveway, as it will not start. I find it appalling that a car that is 3 years old can have so many issues plaguing it. It is a money pit. There is a cylinder 2 misfire (needs cylinder head), a torque converter code, and a faulty fuel pump relay on the 'totally integrated power module'. the safety of my family, and the consumer in general, is compromised - when a $30,000 vehicle has the potential to stall while driving. When working, the Jeep decelerates while driving, has low power and idles very irregularly. I am very disappointed with my purchase and with the fact that Chrysler stands for such faulty products.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 162014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Push button start will not turn over engine on first attempt. Starter continues to crank for 10 seconds. Upon second or third try engine turns over with no further sign of a problem. Problem repeated again within 3 days.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 242014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Fuel pump relay in the tipm failed. Dealer replacing with a bypass kit for approx $470.

- St Paul, MN, USA

Sep 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to start when the push start button was activated. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Oct 042014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph making a left turn, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted after several attempts. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact was made aware of recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (fuel/propulsion system). However, the parts were not available to perform the repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Huntsville , TX, USA

Sep 222014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Jeep hard to start when engine is cold due to faulty tipm and fuel relay. Jeep will attempt to start, but will not turn over. Jeep loses throttle and dies at idle.

- Signal Mountain, TN, USA

Jun 092012

Grand Cherokee

In June 2012 my vehicle began giving problems starting after several days back and forth to the dealer I was told my vehicle needs a PCM. The PCM was ordered and replaced but the problem still exist. I was then told the tipm had an issue. The tipm was replaced and the vehicle seems to be working as far as the issues starting but I kept having problems with the vehicle shutting off while driving. Months and moths went by with me having this issue until they placed a device on my vehicle to record what's happening. After keeping my vehicle for a whole day to remove the device, a week later they said it did not record anything because it went dead. However, I was told to bring the vehicle back in for them to check spark plugs, transmission, and other things I did so and the problem went a way for couple months only to come right back. Right now I am right back at square one with the vehicle giving a hard start and the vehicle shutting off while driving. Something needs to be done about these vehicles. They need to be overhauled.

- Christiansted , VI, USA

Mar 102014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While driving in outerbanks, nc. The vehicle decided to shut the 4X4 system off and lower suspension completely, all while driving. My new born son, wife and 4yr old daughter in the vehicle and we are stranded. Paid for towing and after towed the vehicle goes back to normal with no maintenance. Upon returning home vehicle randomly shuts off while in motion, will not start or fuel pump randomly runs and now way to shut off. After some research I am finding this is a common problem with the tipm in these vehicles. You are not able to get the parts as they are on back order and nothing is being done to the manufacturer. Who do we complain to if this happens while my children are in the car and there is an accident. This seems like this will be the only way something is going to be done about this issue.

- Coatesville, PA, USA

Sep 162014

Engine did not start.

- Gig Harbor , WA, USA

Sep 022014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

When cranking my vehicle it begins to stall and sounds as if it is flooding. It continues to do this until I can get it to turn off. The stalling is continuous. When I took my Jeep to the dealership they informed that the problem I am experiencing is due to a defective totally integrated power module, or tipm. This defective part is the cause of the problems I'm incurring with starting my vehicle and it's stalling. While researching the issue I learned that the tipm can "prevent the fuel pump from shutting off properly, cause headlights and taillights to shut off, and can cause random and uncontrollable activity of the horn, windshield wipers, alarm system, door locks, and airbags."

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Jun 192014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle began presenting with grinding noise upon start up (similar noise to turning the key in older vehicle once engine was running). Brought to dealer's attention at time of service - dealer could not duplicate grinding noise. Within a few weeks, vehicle began taking more than 1 attempt to turn engine over (sometimes up to 4-5 attempts), including prolonged engagement of starter motor. If multiple attempts, noticed rich fuel smell. Mentioned to dealer at time of next scheduled service - dealer could not duplicate starting problems over the course of 2 days in their care. Dealer said to wait for more frequent occurrences to begin then they would check again. Starting issues were intermittent and continued to occur until last week, where after "hard start, " vehicle engine stalled while in reverse pulling out of parking spot (<5 mph); however, power to lights and radio remained on; steering locked up, and had to push vehicle to safe spot. Took 2 starts to get engine running again. Next day, after 4 failed starting attempts (5th successful), had battery tested and replaced day after thinking it could be part of problem (starter and alternator tested fine). The day after battery replacement, vehicle produced what sounded like abnormal start, then engine stalled while in motion under 5 miles per hour. Based on evidence and prior reports, faulty tipm is suspect. We are fortunate that both stalls occurred under 5 mph; it is only a matter of time before this happens at highway speeds. Hoping the NHTSA will force Chrysler's hand into opening formal investigation into faulty electrical systems in vehicles.

- Burlington, NJ, USA

Sep 162014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Driving in to work and completing a corner (vehicle traveling approximately 30mph) when engine stopped running (accessories stayed on). No warning lights previous to the incident or after. Lost power steering and brakes. Was able to muscle car around the corner and coasted to a stop. Vehicle is push button start so I pushed button to turn accessories off, then attempted to restart the car. Restart worked with no warning/problem lights. Completed drive in to work with no other problems. This is the first time this happened. Called dealer (ziegler kalamazoo) and told them what happened and got soonest available service appointment (one week from day incident occurred). Called Chrysler to report incident as was told they would make a note in my "file", but could/would not take any other action. Chrysler recommended working with the dealer.

- Galesburg, MI, USA

Sep 102014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle will not start. I am told it is related to a tipm failure. 1300 dollars to fix on a car that is out of warranty with less than 20K miles. The part is also ok back order for over a month. I am told there could be random deployment of airbags also.

- Oklahoma City , OK, USA

Jul 282014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the engine would stall. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. Also, the instrument panel warning indicators intermittently illuminated. The dealer stated that the tipm unit was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Buckholts, TX, USA

Aug 152014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Driving home from work on a Friday afternoon, while making a turn in residential area, the engine cut off and the steering locked up. The radio, instrument panel and A/C were all still on, so did not immediately realize the engine was off. Was able to restart after putting vehicle into park. Fortunately, no other vehicles were behind me or could have been worse. Dealer not able to find what was wrong since they could not replicate it, so was not able to repair problem. Has not recurred, but now very scary driving, not knowing if it will happen again.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Aug 202014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle would not start due to failed totally integrated power module. The tipm would not send power to the fuel pump and engine would not start. Chrysler knows about this problem but fails to take responsibility for the defect.

- Box Elder, SD, USA