CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Sep 102014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle will not start. I am told it is related to a tipm failure. 1300 dollars to fix on a car that is out of warranty with less than 20K miles. The part is also ok back order for over a month. I am told there could be random deployment of airbags also.

- Oklahoma City , OK, USA

Jul 282014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the engine would stall. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. Also, the instrument panel warning indicators intermittently illuminated. The dealer stated that the tipm unit was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Buckholts, TX, USA

Aug 152014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Driving home from work on a Friday afternoon, while making a turn in residential area, the engine cut off and the steering locked up. The radio, instrument panel and A/C were all still on, so did not immediately realize the engine was off. Was able to restart after putting vehicle into park. Fortunately, no other vehicles were behind me or could have been worse. Dealer not able to find what was wrong since they could not replicate it, so was not able to repair problem. Has not recurred, but now very scary driving, not knowing if it will happen again.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Aug 202014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle would not start due to failed totally integrated power module. The tipm would not send power to the fuel pump and engine would not start. Chrysler knows about this problem but fails to take responsibility for the defect.

- Box Elder, SD, USA

Aug 282014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. After several attempts, the vehicle failed to start. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 68,887.

- Sopterton, GA, USA

Aug 132014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 60 mph, the engine stalled. The contact was able to merge to the side of the road and restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000. Updated 01/07/14 the consumer stated the vehicle would not start if the motor was not warmed up first. It would take 4-6 different starting attempts/cycles in order to start up the motor. The totally integrated power module was replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Updated 06/8/2015

- Schnecksville, PA, USA

May 152013

Grand Cherokee

I bought my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, brand new... literally 0 miles on it. Beginning at just shy of 36,000 miles it began to intermittently have cranking and starting issues. Every time I would take it to the service center at the dealership, they could never get the problem to "replicate." After several diagnostic tests costing $104.86 each, they found nothing. When the vehicle reached 38,902 miles, and after the problem became more recurrent the dealership had me to replace my key fob battery and update the software in my PCM & wcm. ($170) the problem didn't subside, and I was left to deal with the problem which occurred at most inopportune times, but only intermittently... until yesterday. After approximately a dozen+ attempts to get the Jeep to crank and start, I took to youtube (youtu.be/27xkm0faiwi) where I found that I was not alone. Not only am I not alone, I now realize what a systemic problem this is and that Jeep/ Chrysler/ Dodge must certainly be aware of it. I took my Jeep into my local tampa, fl. Dealer today fully expecting to get the run-around, and for the first time they didn't disappoint... just as suspected they passed the buck. They charged me another $104.86 for a "diagnostic test" (which I already had informed them of what they'd find)! they then quickly handed me a repair quote of $1,300+ tax. I called Chrysler's customer assistance center (1-800-992-1997) and I spoke with a representative who basically after a 30 minute conversation of explaining my situation stated that if I would have caught the undiagnosed issue at 36,000 miles and while it was under warranty, it'd would have been covered. So essentially all that could be done was for me to leave my Jeep with them for who knows how long and pay the assessed fee. She then added that I could file a complaint with the N.H.T.S.a (1-888-327-4236) to which I did.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Aug 152013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that upon starting, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart after waiting a few hours. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Aug 182014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 24,642.

- West Harrison, NY, USA

Jan 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

After much research, I have found that my tipm is bad. My vehicle started experiencing issues with starting and stalling in January of 2014 (@ just over 30K miles). Initially I did not think much of the problem as it was in January and cold here in Colorado. The problem mildly continued in Feb and March... fast forward to July 2014 and the problem became more prevalent. I finally have an appointment with the local dealership to look at the problem (tomorrow - 28august2014). It is now a daily occurrence that my vehicle will not start without many attempts and once it does start, it stalls and the engine turns off.

- Parker, CO, USA

Aug 142014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

It began a couple of weeks prior to 8/14/14 where the car would take several tries to start. I would press the start button and the car would not turn over and start. Finally on 8/14/14 it was at its worst taking many more tries and barely started when I left work and again picking up my child from school. I made it home but it wouldn't start again after that. We had the car towed to the dealership on 8/19/14. We were informed on 8/20/14 that it was an electrical issue that needed to be replaced costing $1300. The items repaired as listed on the invoice were tipm kit tip 080350 and core return.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jul 302014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited with approximately 32K miles. I began seeing an issue several weeks ago where the engine would crank but wouldn't start (using push button starter). Eventually it would start. Over the last several weeks the problem has intermittently reappeared but seems to be getting worse as it's taking longer to start once the issue is seen. I've noticed that if I use the key instead of the push button it'll start right away. In what I initially thought was unrelated I also experienced the engine simply cutting off while driving. Fortunately I was only driving about 5 mph on both occasions in which this occurred. Please contact me if any additional details are required. Thank you,

- Snoqualmie, WA, USA

Aug 152014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My car (sitting in the garage at a shopping mall) would not start, I tried to start it 5 times, then let it sit a bit and tried it again and it started. Went directly to eastside Chrysler Jeep and they repaired it for me. It took a day but cost me $1,310. I see there are quite a few cars with the same problem. My car's warranty was still in effect, but the dealership did not honor it. Saying it was a second owner vehicle. Sorry, I bought the warranty when I bought it and it should have been honored. Now knowing what I know now that it is a defect in the electrical system, I am lucky I wasn't stuck out on the freeway. I feel like I was taken advantage of and think the company owes me a refund since my car is under warranty.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Aug 212014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I began having difficulties starting my vehicle about a week ago, the engine would continually turn over without actually starting (push button start). Each time I would have to press the start button multiple times and let the vehicle cycle through multiple failed attempts until the engine would finally start. However, this morning, after cycling through multiple attempts and getting the vehicle to start, the engine shut off while I was driving. After the engine shut off the dashboard read as if it was still running. I was unable to start the vehicle after that and had to push it out of the way (was luckily still in a parking lot).

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Sep 252013

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle power shuts down while driving at highway speed, in any and all driving conditions. No power steering, no power brakes, no power, nothing. There is no warning when power goes out. Driver can be stranded in middle of freeway, or off-ramp, or busy intersection. Extremely dangerous. Worse than GM issue. Vehicle cannot be restarted without shifting into park. 2011 Jeep stall on 70mph freeway requires driver to shift into park before a re-start can be attempted (neutral will not allow rolling start). Extreme danger of high-speed rear end collision. Well documented issue on web 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee tipm. Recall is needed for this safety critical item. gotaclassaction.com/Chrysler-investigated-over-defective-totally-integrated-power-module-tipm-in-2011-2012-Jeep-grand-Cherokee-and-Dodge-durangos/

- Canton, MI, USA

Jul 112014

Grand Cherokee

Car made grinding sound when starting. Wouldn't start. Tipm failed causing fuel pump to burn out. Also had to replace ignition switch.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 112014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle was traveling on highway at 55 mph when it suddenly stalled in traffic. Could not restart after pushing to side of road. Towed to dealer and told that total integrated power module had failed and needed to be replaced.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Aug 092014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

On Saturday morning after pulling out of a parking space my car stalled and lost power steering. I put it in park and restarted engine it was fine. Went to other store, parked it and the same thing happened once I returned to leave. When I got home I shut off the ignition switch and after app. 8 seconds I heard a sound coming from behind the fuse box area or at least behind that area. Sounded electrical "vooop, vooop" I also noticed when going up an incline around 30 mph the car had a huge delay, I had to push the gas pedal practically to the floor, and than it kicked in and zoomed off. I felt like I was loosing power and than the car took off on its own! crazy feeling!!! I feel as though the computer that is in charge of the car is out of wrack and the car has become inconsistent to drive because of what could occur next. I also lost brakes this winter while driving due to brake booster failure which eventually became a recall. I was scared then and I'm afraid this incident may result in something bigger and worse. :(

- Randolph, NJ, USA

Aug 052014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Several attempts were made throughout the day to start my 2011 grand Jeep Cherokee and it would not start, only a clicking noise. I took it to the dealer immediately and the tipm is bad and needs to be replaced. Obviously, my car is only 3 years old and not under warranty now. The part alone is over $900, which seems questionable that something would go bad so quickly on a vehicle and cost so much to repair. Besides the cost, there are so many complaints for the same issue, and even more serious with the engine cutting off while driving. Is someone going to recall this item before someone gets hurt or even killed"???" I purchased this vehicle, and all my previous Chrysler/Jeep vehicles thinking they were safe for my family; now I'm not so sure. Do the right thing and recall the tipm! in addition, I have made several attempts to get the brake booster repaired due to the recall and the parts are still not in. This has been going on for months now.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jul 272014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The Jeep would not start on the first try. It either cranks and cranks and never turns over, or it turns over but never reaches a good idle state and just shuts off. After a few attempts, it would finally start and be ok until the next time I leave it alone for an extended period. I believe the symptoms I am experiencing are the same as those that have been reporting a problem with the tipm, which seems to be a very pricey item that Jeep (Chrysler) knows is faulty and have done nothing about. Not to mention that it is also an item that is on national back order with a class action lawsuit filed as well.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA