NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Page 18 of 21)

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 18 of 21)

Oct 102014

Grand Cherokee

Around Sep of this year Chrysler notified me of two recalls on my Jeep Grand Cherokee; P36 / NHTSA 14V-391 (sun visor wiring) and P14 / NHTSA 14V-154 (brake booster corrosion).. when I contacted the local dealer they told me to wait until Oct as the manufacturer didn't have parts available. I contacted the dealer, planet Jeep in flagstaff, AZ on 10 Oct and was told Chrysler was rationing parts and that they would place me on a list. I've been in that virtual queue waiting on parts since 10 ocvt 2014 and every time I call the dealer I'm still on the list. I contacted Chrysler to complain about the poor service as I've been waiting for parts to fix safety problems for going on three months. I've been through several recalls over the past 40-years and have never experienced an excessive delay like this. It is actually easier to get my Mercedes Benz repaired and the nearest dealer is a 2 hour drive from hear. Chrysler has demonstrated a lack of concern and no sense of urgency to correct two safety issues with my vehicle. Their advise to me was to continue contacting my dealer to ensure I'm still on the waiting list.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

May 162014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) and 14V391000 (electrical system) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The dealer informed that the manufacturer had not released the parts needed for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Morrilton, AR, USA

Dec 232014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) and 14V391000 (electrical system) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact felt that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Sep 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) and 14V391000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the parts were not available. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the parts would become available and informed that contact was 450th on the waiting list. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Madison, WI, USA

Dec 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee consumer isn't pleased with dealer doing recall repairs once a week the consumer was informed his vehicle would on February 16, 2015, because there is a waiting list. Recall numbers 14V154000 and 14V391000.

- Casper, WY, USA

Oct 052014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Battery light came on after approximately 5 miles of driving after starting the car, on 10/5/14. This pattern continued for two days, and on the morning of 10/8/14 the car stopped running completely while I was pulling into the parking lot of the auto shop to have it looked at. While driving, I lost power steering and ABS before the car stalled completely a few moments later. I had to have the alternator replaced with only 50,000 miles on the vehicle. Several days later I learned of a new recall on Chrysler vehicles due to alternator problems, and today I learned my vehicle was not a part of this recall because I have a 180 amp alternator, and those recalled were 160 amp. I am choosing to report this incident because I believe the failure of my alternator could have caused serious injury to myself or other drivers if I had been traveling at high speed when the battery died, and I believe the 180 amp alternators should be investigated for a possible recall.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Dec 182014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Dec 122014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the battery warning light illuminated. In addition, while the vehicle was parked, the contact noticed smoke and smelled a burning odor. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. However, the failure recurred. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V63400 (electrical system), but the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 012014

Grand Cherokee

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to a safety recall. The consumer stated it has been over three months since she received the recall letter, and the parts were not available.

- Ekalaka, MT, USA

Dec 082014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). However, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available.

- Joliet, IL, USA

May 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I am sitting on 3 recalls on my vehicle list above, brake shield, visor wiring, and now alternator problem. I am not very happy with 3 recalls that they don't have part for, and the dealership can not tell me if and when parts will be in, I am to the point I don't want this vehicle anymore because of these issues. I don't wanna wait till there is a injury or fatality. I want this resolved or vehicle replaced. I am guessing the air bags will be next knowing there is a recall on them on other vehicles.

- Indianola, IA, USA

Nov 252014

Grand Cherokee

The engine would turn over, but it would not start. It would start again after ten minutes or so. It has happened three times and been to the dealer twice. The dealer says they do not know what is wrong and can't fix it. The internet has information indicating that Chrysler knows about the problem but does not have the parts to fix it. Apparently, it could be an issue with the tipm.

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Dec 052014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign id number: 14V634000 (electrical system) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to inform when the part would become available. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Staten Island , NY, USA

Dec 042014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

No start. Has been happening repeatedly.

- Gretna, LA, USA

Dec 022014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V391000 (electrical system); however, the part to perform the recall repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Golf Breeze, FL, USA

Dec 022014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) however, the part to perform the recall repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Golf Breeze, FL, USA

Nov 112014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Car will not turn over not getting fuel to starter, car cuts off while driving numerous times. There is a recall for this on same models built prior to 8/01/2011, my car was built 8/15/2011 two weeks after. This is the exact problem as the recall.

- Alpine, NJ, USA

May 062014

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle will not start. Engine cranks, but des not start. Towed to dealer. Could not duplicate. Recently condition worsened and vehicle would not start at all. Vehicle repaired after sitting at dealer for 2.5 weeks. Diagnosis, fuel pump relay and wiring harness.

- Saint Joseph, MI, USA

Apr 172014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo has stalled when turning on and has often not turned on. When driving the vehicle the car has shut off almost causing an accident.this has happened on many occasions. The car accelerates often when driving the lights, airbag symbols, etc turn on erratic. I had to replace the alternator and battery due to faulty timp which Jeep has recalls on however not my year although-my car has the same problems which I have to pay for and I have researched and many other Jeep owners have the same issues and Jeep is very aware and are not taking responsibility, I feel unsafe driving this car especially with my children, the car is unreliable and have been late to work due to the car stalls and lack og turning on. This car has a mind of its own starts when it feels like it, speeds up on its own, lights turn on off, tells U keys left the car when it hasn't. very angry at Jeep I should not have to pay for faulty equipment due to your negligence!

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Aug 192014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Had a recall (NHTSA 14V-391) electrical problem. Dealer told me "have to order part.. will call you when comes in"?? it is now November 20, 2014.. been over 3 months-still waiting for call and part..."supposedly part ordered "a few months ago" dealer said that "quote"... "Chrysler doesn't have many parts... they seem to drag out the process so that they do not get hit with all these expenses/charges in a month/year" well......this is B.S. !!! just getting the "run around". when can I except this to be handle.. can you put any pressure on Chrysler to get part??" there is another "pending" recall on an a alternator (no news regarding this except an newspaper article last month).. Chrysler needs to get their act together..

- Vero Beach, FL, USA