1. rust recall steering column (1 reports)
1999 Nissan Pathfinder steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Nissan Pathfinder:

1999 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments

Aug 012011

Pathfinder V6

I will circle back with more details. But the Cliffnote version is as follows...

August 2011 I took my 1999 Nissan Pathfinder to the dealership for an oil change and possible tuneup. The vehicle only had 78,000 miles on it (it had be babied - I have a second Nissan vehicle and have been a loyal owner and zealot of the Nissan brand). I was notified that their was a recall notice on the vehicle because severe safefty related issues due to "steering column/drive shaft rust". I was advised that they (the dealership) could not release the vehicle back to me, but had made arrangements for a rental vehicle. I was further advised that in approx. 30 - 45 days a Nissan inspector would evaluate the vechicle and determiner if the vehicle could be repaired or if it needed to be rendered as unfit to drive and required to be totalled. Over the next month 6 months I was given mis-information from the recall company "Morley" incurred significant out of pocket expense for car rental (Morley, the Dealership and then later Nissan Consumer Affairs) all refused to re-imburse me for the expense that I incurred (even after a Nissan supervisor agreed to compensate me during a conversation with him in Nov/Dec of last year). Eventually I agreed to the allowing Morley to purchase the vehicle, but I was never provided with photos, or any detailed description of the issue with the vehicle. I've felt "strong armed" into the decision and the entire process and interaction with the "by back company" has felt slimmy. Then to have Nissan go back on compensating me for my out of pocket rental expense has left an awful impression of a brand that I've been so loyal to and such an advocate for. I've owned Nissan products since 1987 exclusively. In 2010, I purchase a new 370z for myself and a 2010 Sentra for my daughter. Prior to that in 2004 I purchase a new 350z and the 1999 Pathfinder (reference in this complaint). 1997 I purchased a new army green Pathfinder, 1992 I purchased a pearl colored Maxima - the list goes on.

So when given what I just experienced (and continue to experience) with Nissan Consumer Affairs, I've become quite disenchanted with these customer interaction "touch points" and I'm hopeful that this is not a indication of the brand as a whole.

I refuse to accept the Consumer Affairs position they cannot compensate me for my out of pocket rental expenses. I did not create the problem with the vehicle and I have been and continue to be significantly inconvenienced as a result of a problem not created by me, but by their product. It just isn't fair or right and someone in a position of authority and sensitivity to the Nissan brand should have and should make this right.

- , Buford, GA, USA