2003 Nissan Pathfinder suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Pathfinder:

2003 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments

Jul 222016

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder. While making a turn at 30 mph, an unknown noise was heard whenever a turn was made. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the strut tower failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V244000(steering, suspension). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 148,000.

- Utica, NY, USA

Apr 202011

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the steering wheel was extremely tight and difficult to turn left and right. The contact stated that the strut tower was separating from the frame due to extensive rust and corrosion associated with the driver side of the vehicle, near the front passenger and driver side wheel wells. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V244000 (steering, suspension). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 172015

The strut tower repair that was made by Nissan in 09/2011 as part of NHTSA recall campaign #11V24000 (strut tower corrosion recall because of salt in new england states) failed on 8/17/2015. As a direct result of the structural failure in the passenger side strut tower, the break-line severed causing an immediate breaking failure, and also made the car unsafe to drive because of the structural failure which exposed the engine compartment to the interior wheel well. As of 8/26/2015, Nissan usa Consumer Affairs div. Refused to pay for the $1,300 in repairs (parts & labor) stating that they were not responsible to make additional repairs to correct the original recall notice because the vehicle is more than 8 years old, and they already fixed it as as a level 1 repair as required under the recall. They did't care that their repair was only 4 years old and that the vehicle had a visual/safety inspection performed by a Nissan dealer less than a year ago when the vehicle was recalled to replace the air bags.

- Kinnelon, NJ, USA

Jan 282015

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed and attempting to stop, the brakes hesitated to respond. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician replaced the brakes and informed the contact that the strut housing panel was cracked. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer. The technician informed the contact that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 11V244000 (steering, suspension). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 107,000.

- North Ridgeville, OH, USA

Jul 272014

The body is rusting, my gas gauge is not accurate, suspension is falling away from the truck. I loved this truck and have had since 2008 but now I am in fear to drive it. I see numerous complaints for these issues but the mechanics just say it's normal wear and tear. I only drive 5 -10 minutes to work and home. *(

- Hamden, CT, USA

Apr 092013

Open Nissan recall R1107 on this vehicle for steering and strut housing. There are visible defects relating to this recall on my vehicle. 1st contact Nissan 4/9/13. I live approx 700 miles from any dealership with no option of road system to reach dealership. I would need to ship vehicle or take ferry to major road system then drive. We have one state highway on our island. I bought this vehicle locally. This vehicle is not safe let alone drive at highway speeds to reach a dealership. At first I was basically told too bad. I asked if they were telling me I had to drive a dangerous vehicle because I lived in rural America? I was then transferred to dealership in anchorage, ak. We arranged for me to take vehicle to a mechanic locally to take detailed photos to forward to dealership to determine if vehicle was a candidate for repair or if damage was so advanced as to junk vehicle. There was back and forth contact by phone and E-mail with dealership. I was asked to provide shipping costs and later provided details on steps and costs to have the vehicle wrecked here in town. Sometime toward end of June 2013 I stopped getting updates. Nissan Corp issued a 2nd case number on 7/15 they have called every few days to say no news. 7/26/13 I got a call saying decision is I need to bring dealership. They are to call back 7/29 to tell me if I can get that in writing. Nissan has been provided 3 sets of photos that clearly show through holes in strut housing. This car is not fit to drive the distances or speeds they are asking. Nissan has allowed this vehicle stay on the roads since April even after they were provided with evidence that car is compromised and dangerous. Nissan Corp. Is allowing known dangerous vehicles to remain on roads in rural areas placing people like me in danger because it is cost and time prohibitive for owners like me to get to a dealership. This is wrong.

- Petersburg, AK, USA

Feb 032012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

There was a recall on the driver side strut tower due to server rusting. The dealership repaired that area. I was hearing a noise from the front right passenger side and found out that the rust had damage to that strut tower. My ABS and brake lights finally come on and I had S lost of brake fluid. The strut tower colapse severing the right front brake line. The dealer inspected it and said that they would not repair this. I, M not sure why the left front strut tower would be covered and the right front in not. I had leased this vehical and when the lease expired we purchased the car outright. We heard about the recall when I had one remaining payment on the car. Now with the car paid in full it is no longer safe to drive.

- Mahwah, NJ, USA

Jun 182011

Vehicle taken to Nissan dealership for recall campaign 11V-244 inspection and repair of strut housings and steering column. Dealership confirmed corroded strut towers were pulling away from the body of the vehicle and that it was unsafe to drive. Dealership indicated that Nissan usa refused recall because vehicle was not in a specified VIN range. NHTSA later confirmed that the recall was not limited to a VIN range and that the vehicle meets the recall criteria because it is within the applicable year range and is registered in Massachusetts. Nissan usa has not contacted me directly yet.

- Paxton, MA, USA

Mar 012004

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

My 2003 Pathfinder shakes at about 20 mph, 40 mph, and 60 mph. Vibration is felt in the steering wheel and the seat. The vibration is also audible.

- Lees Summit, MO, USA