Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2005 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder:

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 10 of 21)

Aug 312013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power while driving and won't accelerate. Checked the fluid levels and they all are ok, however, transmission fluid color appears brownish instead of the usual pink color.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Sep 022013

Transmission oil in radiator, cause car to over heat. Most likely need new transmission and radiator. Just over Nissan 100,000 mile warranty and they won't cover the replacement. And if the would want me to pay 3,000 out of my pocket for a know defective part. I feel this needs to be recall and Nissan expense and fix my car.

- Newfields, NH, USA

Jul 152013

During the time I was driving the Pathfinder I notice that the transmission started pulling. I got into the turning lane to pull over to check it out but when I stopped and then try to turn the vehicle would not move more then 3 feet that left me in the middle of the road. Lucky no one was hurt but it could have been a bad situation if I was on a busy street.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Aug 242013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Engine light is on. Nissan dealer shop recommends to replaced transmission and radiator.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 312013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The transmission in my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder is failing, just as it has been stated all over the internet. Of course the extended warranty from October of 2012 does not assist me. My truck was fine at that time, and now, I am over $124,000 miles. Nissan is still responsible for failing to inform its consumers about the on-going failing transmission issues. Nissan needs to pay for my transmission. I expect it to happen!!!

- Deptford, NJ, USA

Aug 142013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

It's the typical Nissan Pathfinder (2005-2011) transmission/radiator failure due to fluids from both devices mixing and causing catastrophic failure of both. Nissan informs me that they certainly understand my problem, which is comforting, but will not pay a dime. Never buy another one.

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Aug 152013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

There is problem with this model vehicle. Thousands of people are having the same problem. The radiator has a leak in it causing the transmission oil to mix with the radiator coolant creating a mixture of gravy type substance. The transmission and the radiator are filled up with this substance. The engine is not being cooled down. The vehicle starts to vibrate after a certain speed. When you pop up the hood it smells like plastic burning.

- Holtsville, NY, USA

Jul 182012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Nissan has a recall on the transmission only up to 100,000 miles. I purchased the vehicle at 98,000 but did not know about recall. I contacted Nissan and since it is over 100,000 they will not fix their mistake on engineering this vehicle. So I now have a vehicle that is setting in my driveway and will not run! the transmission is completely useless and I do not have $6000 to fix it!! I feel Nissan should be liable for the faulty vehicles no matter what mileage considering it only happens in higher mileage. Nissan has told me that they will not fix it and it is now my responsibility to do so.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Aug 102013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Driving in town roughly 25 miles, the truck slowed down, you hit the gas to excel and it stops eventually. The mechanic says the transmission coolant leaked, mixed and need to replace the transmission and trained and leaned the radiator.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 012013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My Pathfinder locked in 4WD while switch was still in 2wd and would not start back after towing to dealership I find out it is the radiator leaking into the transmission and both will have to be replaced at $4900. If my wife would of been on a road with more traffic it would of been bad for her and my two year old. We have only owned the car for a year and nothing but problems out of it and our Altima. We have always been Nissan owners but will never buy again this is evidently a really common problem and Nissan's customer appreciation is awful.

- Bronston, KY, USA

Jul 292013

Transmission went out on vehicle while it was in motion causing vehicle to stall and difficulty picking up speed to merge into 65mph highway traffic almost resulting in a collision. When vehicle was towed to transmission shop, they informed me that these Nissan Pathfinders are known for having bad radiators causing water to enter transmissions making the transmission to suddenly go out...I then had it towed to a second shop and they confirmed radiator went bad. Radiator was replaced but transmission is completely out due to the radiator.

- Hanford, CA, USA

Jul 032013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Transmission fail... never received any recalls about it... now I noticed was recall for my transmission and Nissan didn't do anything to help.

- Hawthorne , NJ, USA

Jul 242013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

1st - fuel gauge does not indicate whether tank is full and service engine light is constantly on. Informed that this was a common problem, but no recall for my vehicle. Will cost $1,000 to replace, still have not done. 2nd - was driving my 2005 Pathfinder on highway, alone with my 2.5 year old daughter, rpms surge, car won't accelerate, forced to pull over in the middle of nowhere ok, towed to Nissan dealership for $200. Dealership says that radiator and transmission both need to be replaced. Do a google search to find that this is a common issue on this year, make and model and repairs total approximately $4,800. Since my mileage is at 101,500, 1,500 miles over warranty, Nissan will offer no copay. Why is there no recall" does somebody need to be seriously injured or killed for this to happen" shame on Nissan for putting people in danger. Had my car serviced at Nissan dealership where purchased, no one ever informed me of this problem so I could have taken care of it before it was too late.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Jul 282013

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for routine service when the contact was told that the radiator was leaking fluid into the transmission. The contact stated that the transmission had been hesitant. The dealer stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 102,500.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 282013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

It appears the radiator failed leaking coolant into the transmission. When I asked the mechanic about it he said that now your transmission will fail soon. I have been reading that this is very common and has happened alot with this year and model which I believe to be totally not acceptable.

- Loudon, NH, USA

Jul 042013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Was exiting a side street onto a high traffic road turning left, crossing oncoming traffic. Vehicle lurched forward then lost all forward acceleration. Leaving me in oncoming traffic lane. A separate vehicle nearly impacted the front driver door of my vehicle, sliding to a stop. Upon vehicle inspection at the local dealer, it was determined the radiator that houses a transmission cooler failed and mixed anti-freeze in with the transmission, causing the vehicle to degrade quickly, causing a spurt of vehicle acceleration due to a large transmission slip. This could have cause a very serious injury or death had the other vehicle made contact with my vehicle.

- Salem, OR, USA

Jul 012013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While backing out of a parking space my check engine light came on and it felt like my transmission was slipping. I had the vehicle towed to the Nissan dealer. They told me the radiator failed and the radiator fluid seeped into the transmission fluid causing everything to fail. 80, 000 miles is the warranty. I am just over that. They are offering me a $2500 co pay but I feel they should take care of this problem. There should be a recall on the radiator to prevent this problem.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Jun 062013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was driving on a highway back from getting groceries in a town 45 miles from me. All of a sudden the car started revving. I took it off of cruise control and tried pressing on the gas. Nothing happened. I pulled off to the side of the road and called a tow truck. After several hours sitting on the side of the road in the dark and by myself, I got it towed back to my town, 35 miles away. I found out that the transmission had gone out. I took it to a transmission shop and they told me that it was the cooling system had leaked into my transmission and fired the tcm. It will cost me $4600 to fix it. I found out that there is a recall on this problem after the fact of it happening and now they refuse to fix their mistake. They will cover up to 80000 miles for the recall and up to 100000 miles with a deductible of $2500. And nothing after 100000. Why did they not inform us of this problem" does anyone have a law suit going on this"

- Kingman, AZ, USA

May 242013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Failed transmission fluid cooler located in the radiator assembly that allowed coolant to mix with and contaminate the automatic transmission fluid, resulting in damaged internal transmission components and a damaged internal transmission computer.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Dec 012011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My coolant is leaking into my transmission and its on its last leg..oil pressure gauge is broken along with fuel indicator and many other problems.

- Hickman, NE, USA