CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2005 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder:

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 13 of 21)

Mar 102013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was driving and stopped at a traffic signal. When the light turned green and I pressed the gas pedal the vehicle moved less than 5 M.P.H. this continued all the way to church on March 10th, 2013. I drove to the vehicle to the dealer and 2 days later they diagnosed the issue. The radiator was leaking coolant into the transmission, cross contaminating the transmission fluid. This caused the valve body in the transmission to fail. The Nissan dealer informed me that the radiator and valve body in the transmission had to be replaced. They also informed me that my power train warranty was expired because I was over 100,000 miles and my vehicle is at 104,000. I was told that Nissan wouldn't cover the repair even though the radiator is defective but since I caught it early the transmission wasn't totally damaged just partially damaged saving me more money. However, my repair bill was $2,999.94!! even the mechanics at Nissan told me that this is an known issue (off the record) and Nissan should cover the repair!! this is due to a defective radiator and Nissan should issue a recall. Consumers shouldn't have to foot the bill for a manufacturing defect that Nissan is aware of! it effects 2005 thru 2010 Pathfinder, xterra and frontier vehicles. Nissan is voluntarily offering to co-pay for repairs if your vehicle has less than 100,000 miles because of a class action lawsuit that is still pending in court. The issue only occurs after 100,000 miles leaving millions of consumers on the hook for an obvious manufacturing defect!! please help us recover the cost of this expensive repair?? please!!!!

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 092013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was leaving an appointment at the hospital and as I approached a speed bump I heard a loud drop noise and the vehicle would no longer move upon pressing the gas. There was a complete loss of motive power. I put the vehicle in park and turned it off and then on again and it went into gear however I was unable to accellerate over 40mph and headed straight to a dealership. I received a call on from the dealer diagnosing the problem as a failed transmission fluid cooler located in the radiator assembly that allowed coolant to mix with and contaminate the automatic transmission fluid, resulting in damaged internal transmission components and a damaged internal transmission computer.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While driving in middle of the street, suddenly car stopped driving. Had the car towed to repair shop. It seems there is a coolant leak into transmission that caused the issue. However Nissan's extended warranty only allows up to 100000 miles or 10 years whichever comes first. Since my mileage is over that, Nissan will not cover any repairs.

- New Albany, OH, USA

Mar 012013

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, a strong burning odor emitted from under the hood and the vehicle lost acceleration power. The contact was able to move the vehicle into a parking area. The contact inspected the vehicle and found smoke. The contact drove the vehicle home. The mechanic inspected the vehicle and found that the radiator failed and caused the radiator fluid to leak into the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 127,525.

- River Side , CA, USA

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Transmission cooler leaks, allowing transmission fluid and engine coolant to mix, leading to automatic transmission damage. Nissan dealer is aware of the incident and offer a $2500 deductible, this is not a fair deductible and Nissan is not playing a fair game.

- Leander, TX, USA

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was driving about 40-45 M/H and the car stop accelerating, I took the car to the mechanic and he say it was the transmission($7,000) so I look it up in the internet and a lot of people have the same problem.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 122013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate from traffic light, the vehicle hesitated and failed to engage in gear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that radiator fluid was leaking into to the transmission and as a result, the transmission solenoid needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 116,000.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Feb 222013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the vehicle seemed to shift incorrectly. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that there was a crack in the radiator that was allowing coolant to enter the transmission. There were also cracks in the hoses that contributed to the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 127,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 282013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

During the month of December 2012 I had my Nissan truck serviced. The diagnostic test recommended to replace rear differential fluid, replace cabin air filter, replace windshield wiper blades, air filter, perform engine coolant exchange, transmission fluid exchange, power steering system fluid exchange, perform brake system fluid exchange, and fuel injection. I also had to replace the catalytic converter, which was done by Nissan. I had all of these services performed by the Nissan automotive department. On February 28 2013, my service engine soon light comes on along with sensor light indicating a door is open. However, no doors were open. I take the truck back to Nissan, and they tell me the transmission is about to go out!!!! how is this possible? I have always taken my truck to Nissan to perform the service. I am outraged!!!! all of the service needed has always been performed by Nissan. Please help!!!!

- Mansfield, LA, USA

Feb 282013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My Pathfinder began to shudder and make a deep rumbling noise while trying to maintain a constant speed anywhere between 40-55pmh. I took it to the dealership this morning and was told this afternoon that there was a crack in the intercooler inside the radiator and it had leaked coolant into the transmission fluid. It has caused major damage to the transmission. The radiator and the transmission has to be replaced. The tech said the estimated cost will be $5300.

- Belgrade, MT, USA

Aug 082012

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the engine RPM reading began to increase as the vehicle shifted hard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician advised the contact that the transmission would have to be replaced because radiator fluid was leaking into the transmission. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. There was an investigation under NHTSA action number: DP12004 (power train) that could have been related to the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 78,241.

- Duncannon, PA, USA

Feb 012013

Pathfinder

2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Consumer writes in regards to defective radiator in vehicle. The consumer stated he sent Nissan a letter regarding his concerns about radiator coolant leaking into the transmission. Nissan responded by saying they would not cover any repairs until the leaked developed.

- Saint Helena, CA, USA

Feb 052013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While driving the Pathfinder at 45mhp it started to shake and slowed down even while pressing gas pedal down... felt like the brakes were on.. after getting the vehicle home I discovered the problem with the transmission and radiator. It seems to be a common problem that Nissan is aware of... if we were on the interstate at high speeds it could of been a serious accident.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 072012

Pathfinder

Radiator cracked and coolant leaked into transmission. I did some research, this happens to all 2005-2010 Pathfinders. Very expensive repair.

- Mountain View, CA, USA

Jul 122011

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle shook violently without any warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the transmission needed to be flushed and the radiator and transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer any further assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000 and the current mileage was 94,000.

- Milford, MI, USA

Nov 262012

Pathfinder

I purchased my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder in March of 2011. Had done great for awhile. Replace a exhaust sensor in August of 2012. Always smelled hot after being driven, like something electrical but could never pinpoint it. Then around November 2012 noticed a delayed reaction in engaging when going into reverse and a slight hesitation coming out of park into drive. Didn't think much about it at time. But has since gotten worse, shutters from time to time driving, and hesitates more often. I called the local Nissan service department today, Jan 24, the manager there told me I should call the Nissan consumer office because the company was aware of the issue. So I did. The first person I started talking to hung up on me as soon as I mentioned my vehicles make and model. I called back got someone else, although she didn't hang up on me, she was no help. She said because my vehicle was over 100000 miles, there was nothing that could be done. So I got in touch with the Toyota dealership where I purchased the vehicle. They are looking into it for me as well. This is wrong the way Nissan is treating people. If they truly wanted good customer service, they would voluntarily recall these affected vehicles and make it right. I will never purchase another Nissan product or recommend them.

- Carthage, NC, USA

Apr 042011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Automatic transmission is failing. Failure first appeared at speeds between 40 and 50 mph and now experiencing transmission failure from 30 mph to 60 mph. Pathfinder now has 71560 miles.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Jul 112012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

On 11/15/11 Nissan flushed the radiator. On 7/11/12 the transmission went out due to the coolant leaking into the transmission. Nissan should have 100% responsibility of this issue. Nissan has know about this issue for years and they extend the warranties to the max of 100,000 miles. Most of these issues occur after 100,000 miles. Nissan needs to reimburse and or recall all 2005-2010 Pathfinder's, xterra's and frontier's as this can be a safety issue when you are driving at high speeds and the transmission fails. My wife almost got rearended because this issue. I want to be reimbursed of the repairs that were done on my vehicle.

- Laporte, IN, USA

Aug 082012

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle began to loose power and would not accelerate over 30 mph. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic for inspection where they stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Manassas Park, VA, USA

Jun 262012

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while accelerating after decelerating, the transmission slipped and acceleration power decreased. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the contact was informed that the transmission fluid that is lead through the radiator to be cooled, allowed water into the transmission and caused the transmission to fail. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 102,916 and the current mileage was 108,000.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA